Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Problem description: Ever since I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to 10 last summer, I occasionally get a notification (i.e. one of the the native ones) that says "Removable disk (G:) Select to choose what happens with removable drives." This happens whenever I wake up the computer, and occasionally while I'm using it (or even if it's been sitting idle for a little while). The notification used to be accompanied by an Explorer popup.

Attempted fixes: I asked in the Windows 10 thread and astral suggested I change the "Hide Empty Drives" setting in Explorer. This stopped the pop-ups, but hasn't affected the notifications. nielsm suggested using Process Monitor to log what's trying to access that drive. The results are in this pastebin.

Recent changes: No.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro

System specs:
Processor: core i5 2500K
Motherboard: MSI P67A-G45 (MS-7673)
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 460
Memory: 8 GB DDR3

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try changing the drive letter to something else if possible. That might fix it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ah, I might have misunderstood the advice given previously; I tried to change the letter of a flash drive to G, rather than scrolling down to G and changing its letter. I'll try that and see what happens.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I changed the drive to M and got the same notification on wake, except for drive M rather than G.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I reset Windows yesterday, and today it started in with a new message about the M drive on login:

"The object invoked has disconnected from its clients".

The only things I've found on Google are people having problems not actually being able to log in due to this message, but everything works just fine. Any ideas?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

I ran into a similar issue, today, and there was a seating issue with the card reader that made Windows continually think that it was being added/removed. It was connected to the internal USB headers via a faulty cable. Replacing the cable made it work and there haven't been any additional craziness in about four hours time.

Perhaps you have a bad cable? It could be either power or data causing the muck up, if that's the case.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Haha, I wish you'd posted this before I dusted out my computer. I'll have to try at least unplugging the card reader soon. Thanks for the idea.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

hooah posted:

Haha, I wish you'd posted this before I dusted out my computer. I'll have to try at least unplugging the card reader soon. Thanks for the idea.

At least now you can see the cables when you pull it back apart. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I unplugged the card reader and then had a brief panic when I was sent to the grub shell upon booting, even after plugging it back in. After some BIOS/UEFI mucking about, it boots fine again, but the problem persists. I guess I'll try leaving the card reader unplugged tomorrow.

• Locked thread