Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

We don't really have the sport much in uk but every time I see a game on a random world sports channel on tv or clips on the net there are always punch ups, people hitting each other with their sticks etc. Is fighting actually allowed as part the game? Not that I'm complaining really it's just odd and I don't understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

"ice hockey"

lol

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Posting from iPad and I have big fingers and bad eyes :(

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
yes but pussies of the world want them to stop hitting each other and they dont do it as much

i enjoy watching rich meatheads hit each other

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Seaside Loafer posted:

Posting from iPad and I have big fingers and bad eyes :(

that does not account for calling it "ice hockey"

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I'm Clint Malarchuk ama

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I'm Clint Malarchuk ama

gently caress off eh

I'm Wayne Gretzky ama

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

vols bitch posted:

yes but pussies of the world want them to stop hitting each other and they dont do it as much

i enjoy watching rich meatheads hit each other
I'm down with that but is it like in the rules that you are allowed to have rumble halfway through the game. Personally I think if that was applied to every event in the olympics it would make me tempted to watch it.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

psychokitty posted:

gently caress off eh

I'm Wayne Gretzky ama

but don't really bc i dont know poo poo aboot hockey

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Seaside Loafer posted:

I'm down with that but is it like in the rules that you are allowed to have rumble halfway through the game. Personally I think if that was applied to every event in the olympics it would make me tempted to watch it.
a lot of teams used to have a guy whose job was to whoop peoples asses and be bad at hockey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enforcer_(ice_hockey)

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

fighting is allowed in the respect that refs will allow 1v1 fights to continue until someone gets sweatered or falls to the ground, but both players are usually given 5 minute fighting penalties and in some cases are ejected from the game. most hockey fights are agreed upon by the players beforehand and the refs understand this. some fights are done with the intention of calming the audience for a perceived slight against one team. cheap shots are frowned upon in all cases and usually end with a suspension. i personally dislike all out melees because the risk of preventable injuries is pretty high in those cases, and the nhl agrees because the more.we.learn of concussive brain injuries the more the nhl wants to prevent them for liability purposes.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

im pooping! posted:

fighting is allowed in the respect that refs will allow 1v1 fights to continue until someone gets sweatered or falls to the ground, but both players are usually given 5 minute fighting penalties and in some cases are ejected from the game. most hockey fights are agreed upon by the players beforehand and the refs understand this. some fights are done with the intention of calming the audience for a perceived slight against one team. cheap shots are frowned upon in all cases and usually end with a suspension. i personally dislike all out melees because the risk of preventable injuries is pretty high in those cases, and the nhl agrees because the more.we.learn of concussive brain injuries the more the nhl wants to prevent them for liability purposes.

what he means is penguins bitch

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
uk has loads of ice hockey you moron op god the things i would say to you if it were yesterday and the rules were different

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

im pooping! posted:

So there is an element of theater to the whole thing then yes?

The fans expect and want a rumble (which is sort pre-planned) while at the same time they are actually playing the game. Wow.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Nation posted:

uk has loads of ice hockey you moron op god the things i would say to you if it were yesterday and the rules were different
No it doesn't have loads, fringe at best silly.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

what i want to know is how they move so fast like wtf is even going on with their drat shoes lol

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

do you live in london

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
no i live in tennessee thanks for asking

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTJ90Jo37sE

at about :36 the coaches are up on the boxes shouting at each other.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Nation posted:

do you live in london
Is that the magic town where all the banking people live?

Im sure you know loads of ice hookeey places but its not a top flight mainstream thing very obvious in the public consciousness is it.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Seaside Loafer posted:

So there is an element of theater to the whole thing then yes?

The fans expect and want a rumble (which is sort pre-planned) while at the same time they are actually playing the game. Wow.

yes, especially if one team is beating the poo poo out of the other they will fight with the intention of preventing fights amongst the fans. its why we rarely see captqins fighting. its also why in the case of a melee the goalies will sometimes fight each other even though they have very little to no interaction with each other over the course of the game

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

look here you are on thin ice my friend just because you choose not to involve yourself in the 'scene' doesn't make it any less real and representative any sport with large stadiums and a national league deserves respect goddamit IM DONE

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

honestly if you want to learn about hockey just download a rom of ice hockey for NES it's the same thing

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Celluloid Sam posted:

honestly if you want to learn about hockey just download a rom of ice hockey for NES it's the same thing
that game ruled

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVaM9rCkqHk

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

vols bitch posted:

that game ruled

i still have it it's the best

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
hockey is hell of intense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0DP3rqxp34

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

hell yeah

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
that game was the best because they would literally drop the puck for the face off and dudes would drop their gloves and start fighting

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i went to a fight and a hockey game broke out :grin:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeewMGsDZls

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Well, thank you all for the information. Im not sure whether to be be horrified at humanity or start a petition that fighting should be allowed in dressage and the 1000 meters.

e:seeing as im done this thread can now be about posting ice hocky fights :)

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 17, 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I recommend the documentary film Slap Shot if you want to learn more

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Seaside Loafer posted:

Well, thank you all for the information. Im not sure whether to be be horrified at humanity or start a petition that fighting should be allowed in dressage and the 1000 meters.

i was loving shocked when i found out making a horse walk funny is a goddamn olympic sport

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

drat that dude beat the poo poo out of the whole other team

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

vols bitch posted:

i was loving shocked when i found out making a horse walk funny is a goddamn olympic sport

i used to do dressage

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Seaside Loafer posted:

suck my dick you fuckman

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

vols bitch posted:

you and me both mate

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Celluloid Sam posted:

i used to do dressage

did your horse walk funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless