Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I thought Jenna Louise was being absolutely ridiculous when she thought she was picked specifically to get voted out. Who would be that petty when you're choosing teams to actually do well at challenges?

Apparently Nick is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Met posted:

I thought Jenna Louise was being absolutely ridiculous when she thought she was picked specifically to get voted out. Who would be that petty when you're choosing teams to actually do well at challenges?

Apparently Nick is.

They even said as much when they were picking, that they needed to grab one obvious boot. It was Nick's doing to get her specifically, but the whole group was picking with that in mind.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!
I'm guessing the main reason this show is so much more watchable than American Survivor is because only 4 contestants are under 25. Way less models and bartenders, way more people with personalities and life experiences to bring to the table. Also, possibly cast a bit less with raw conflict in mind.

However, episodes with no tribal councils are bullshit. :D

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah I have to say i'm really enjoying it

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I think Kat had more chance with Rohan and Phoebe at this point but she seemed more interested in getting revenge. Her confessionals show she has absolutely no idea.

At least no one is going to be upset. The whole of the original Aganaoa tribe is boring.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
How do you figure? Rohan voted against her to try and get in with the Vavau people, after throwing her under the bus within earshot, twice this episode alone?

Creating the 4-4 split would maybe be more interesting, but Kat and Rohan still hate each other so the dumpster fire side of the tribe would still be boned on the next vote, one way or the other.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
(more episode 9 discussion)

I think you could argue either wait with Kat/Kristie's decision, mostly because it's unclear when the next merge or swap will be since a season this big is unprecedented on U.S. Survivor.

If another swap is only a few rounds away, Kat/Kristie were probably correct to cut their ties with the old Aganoa as soon as possible since they were clearly on the bottom of that group and had essentially no chance of winning the game by sticking with them. Better to cut Rohan now to signal that they are free agents going into the next iteration of these tribes where there will probably be a Vavau vs. Saanapu showdown.

On the other hand, if they are stuck with these tribes until a merge at, say, 12, than Kat/Kristie probably made the wrong choice. Vavau will probably be going to the majority of Tribal Councils until the next swap, and their only buffer from being at the very bottom of the tribe is Phoebe. In that case, their only realistic chance for even making the merge are to stumble upon the idol Craig is looking for without having a clue or hope that Andrew makes that move against Craig that he wanted to make in Episode 6. Both options seem somewhat unlikely, and the latter possibility is completely out of their control.

It's even more complicated when you remember that Kat/Kristie didn't actually know for sure who was voting for who or who the idol was being played on. Had they both voted Sue but Phoebe and Rohan both voted for Kat, it would have been a 2-2 tie and Kat would have went home on the revote. And they had strong reason to think that exact scenario might happen since (1) Rohan and Phoebe had told Kat they were going to vote her out in old Aganoa, and (2) Rohan DID vote Kat this round for no coherent reason.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

It's been ~12 hours so I'm dumping spoiler text.

I just think Kat had more chance with Rohan/Phoebe regardless. I think they would have had a better chance of surviving until the next switch-up. Either way they're floating agents at a future switch-up because they've got zero working alliances in the game. I think they would have had a better shot of fitting in with a broken-up Vavau than they do with a full-strength Vavau. Getting to the proper merge and having almost all of Vavau in tact doesn't seem like a good idea. Meanwhile if they made it to the merge with Rohan/Phoebe, they're both targets because of their power couple status and Rohan is a target for physical strength in an individual game.

I'm sure it is largely irrelevant anyway since they both seem completely unaware of how to play the game. Kat's confessionals show her to be deluded about how people view her and Christie seems to have poor interpersonal skills.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

:v:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think Craig is my favorite so far

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Same. I loved his subtle little power play at the well.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Yeah Craig has been my favourite for two weeks. JL is cool too.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
I think you're the deluded one if you think Kat was better off with Rohan. The dude just self-destructed his game to revenge vote her. I don't love Kat, I won't mind seeing her go, but she at least has some kind of future now. Kate knows she isn't in a strong position within Vavau, Conner isn't necessarily committed to anyone, and Kristie just voted Kat's way. The other tribe is also pretty fragmented, so things ould open up quite a bit come the final merge.

Phoebe has played a fine game, but Rohan has always been a mess. But by Phoebe's own confession she lost Kat after the non-vote tribal. If they were more cohesive coming in, then maybe forcing 4vs4 would have been possible, but Rohan would have ruined it anyway with his loudmouth. Second guessing Kat here is kind of funny when the entire episode was set up to show how poor a player Rohan really was.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Milovan Drecun posted:

I think you're the deluded one if you think Kat was better off with Rohan. The dude just self-destructed his game to revenge vote her. I don't love Kat, I won't mind seeing her go, but she at least has some kind of future now.
Oh...um

:whitewater:

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

I'm sitting down to watch now, but I'm assuming you're hinting at something. Doesn't really change what I was saying, Rohan pretty much sent himself home and showed no interest in playing with Kat. And somehow she's the one who made a bad move?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Is the charcoal teeth actually a thing?

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
This show rocks!

Soon we have 4 episodes of survivor per week as the US version starts soon.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

I have nothing to add. :shrug:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Kat wasn't good, but nixing Rohan still wasn't bad at the time.

Idoling Phoebe was the hilarious HII move that US Survivor/Probst has been jizzing over since they came up with the concept.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

She had two bad options. She chose the poorer of those two options.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Still disagreed. Rohan was never going to be with her. Being at the bottom Cochran- style would have at least bought her time until either another merge/swap, or else for the infighting.

She went out last night for being very bad at this, granted.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Mills posted:

It's been ~12 hours so I'm dumping spoiler text.

Don't bother ever? If someone isn't caught up, they don't have to open the thread. If you're the first post of the Sunday episode then maybe toss that at the top of your post so people don't read too far.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 13, 2016

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah I wouldn't mind some sort of bolded THIS WEEK'S DISCUSSION STARTS HERE or something in case I absentmindedly click on the thread before I watch.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

DISCUSSING TUESDAY NIGHT EPISODE

Looks like Andrew was just playing up villain for the camera. He was a really good sportsman on the way out.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Mills posted:

DISCUSSING TUESDAY NIGHT EPISODE

Looks like Andrew was just playing up villain for the camera. He was a really good sportsman on the way out.
Yeah I think he's actually a sweet guy. I wouldn't mind being his friend or coworker in real life.

Otherwise,

How cool were those last two eps (9,10)?? So cool. I love this show. Episode 10 got me thinking about how, from us audience's POV, villains, underdogs etc emerge. And how sometimes the villians win and sometimes the heroes do. I often think back to that woman whose tribe kept losing until she was all alone in a cave. About how she gave so much to the game but still didn't win because of some politics down the line. The rain shall fall on everybody right? Survivor is so great.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Kate, Craig and Sue are so great.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lampsacus posted:

Yeah I think he's actually a sweet guy. I wouldn't mind being his friend or coworker in real life.

Otherwise,

How cool were those last two eps (9,10)?? So cool. I love this show. Episode 10 got me thinking about how, from us audience's POV, villains, underdogs etc emerge. And how sometimes the villians win and sometimes the heroes do. I often think back to that woman whose tribe kept losing until she was all alone in a cave. About how she gave so much to the game but still didn't win because of some politics down the line. The rain shall fall on everybody right? Survivor is so great.

Steph got a glowing edit her first time around, but, erm, do you remember how she handled things the next season when she returned?

Yeah.

The heroes/villains thing is a bit on the nose, since Steph's ouster on that season really put the Heroes' lovely behavior under a microscope and made the Villains infinitely more rootable.

Anyway, I'm now just plain tired of the Aganoa Vavau dumpster fire. We can debate twists all day, and I'm torn again, here because Saanapu absolutely earned that there tribe swap reward, but it's very obviously overpowered.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Fair^

Propaganda Machine posted:

Anyway, I'm now just plain tired of the Aganoa Vavau dumpster fire. We can debate twists all day, and I'm torn again, here because Saanapu absolutely earned that there tribe swap reward, but it's very obviously overpowered.
Yeah when he said "advantage for your tribe" he should have said "the flapping of butterfly wings in your favour".

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
In defense of those who said that Kat was safe in the short-term for voting out Rohan (myself included), Vavau (Andrew in particular?) made a very strange move by targeting Kat instead of Phoebe in Episode 10. Had they tried to keep Kat and Kristie close and voted Phoebe out (and assuming Phoebe didn't play her new idol), then they keep Kat/Kristie close in case there is a swap or merge before they can finish eliminating all of the Aganoa on their tribe. Instead, by voting out Kat, they alienate Kristie and keep Phoebe who has no allegiance to Vavau at all.

It also appears that Phoebe has a much stronger social game than either Kat or Kristie, and leaving her in play probably made that vote against Andrew a lot more likely to happen. It's unclear how much of that was the edit, or if Kate/Craig were going to turn on him anyway, but it certainly seems Phoebe was key in turning Kate who then turned Andrew.

ETA: It's also surprising that so many of the challenges in these episodes were so physical after the intentionally(?) unbalanced tribe swap. Kat's move to vote out Rohan made sense if Vavau could avoid a few Tribals, but Vavau hasn't really had a chance in any of the challenges in Episode 10 or 11.

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 14, 2016

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Vavau seems to be underestimating Phoebe. She was suppose to go, not Rohan. They wanted to flush his idol and take away his closest ally, but keep him for his physical strength. They weren't really targeting her because they saw her as a threat, rather the couple as a threat. She's still playing great and weaseling though in her current position is probably her most impressive act yet.

I think you're right about Kat and Kristie being better keeps for Vavau, they face a serious dilemma come the final merge (even before Andy went). However, I think it shows how bad Kat was at the game. She had all the power after the swap, but came on so strong and so focused on Rohan, they couldn't trust her. They saw a snake, rather than a victim. She should have been talking about how she was kept out of playing with Aganao and worked on ingratiating herself to Vavau, instead she tried to split them up right after they went her way.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Kat was a useless turd in challenges. She's physically overweight, sucked at puzzles. And had the personality of a fish. And no idea how to play this game.

It's not a surprise to me she went once Phoebe/Rohan (and their known idol) was broken up.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
How the hell do we go back to 1 ep a week of US survivor :(. This season is chaotic and has a great cast(even if they are all trying too hard), if the second half is anywhere near as good it would be my fav season in recent years.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Mills posted:

Kat was a useless turd in challenges. She's physically overweight, sucked at puzzles. And had the personality of a fish.

I find this statement incredibly offensive.

Turds and fish did nothing to deserve being portrayed in such a light.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Propaganda Machine posted:

I find this statement incredibly offensive.

Turds and fish did nothing to deserve being portrayed in such a light.
lol

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Re: e11,

YES YES YES I did a very powerful fist pump at my screen.
also,
I loved how hard those two went at the challenge. My Lord!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
So Nick is winning right? He's totally been the narrator and noticing things like the Magician being able to sway everyone so easily.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 14, 2016

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I really doubt Nick wins this. He's too much of a schemer in a way that everyone can see. He's already been voted out for it once.

I think he's getting the narrator edit because he's a good narrator. Like, do you think anyone else was coming in hot with an impassioned chicken confessional?

Anyway, I'm enjoying this a lot, but the three episodes a week kind of limits discussion until suddenly you have three episodes to talk about and you have no idea where to start. Vavau is fun to watch though.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

They have a great cast and, after some horribly bungling early play, these guys seem to have settled into playing some decent Survivor. It's very refreshing seeing a bunch of normal, everyday people playing Survivor.

Channel 10's promos leave a lot to be desired in the hyperbole stakes though - describing Andrew as a "Super Villain" makes me wonder how they'd treat someone who really plays a cut throat game if/when they have future seasons.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I know there was probably some clever editing for the reaction shots, but how loving awesome was Craig's "If we voted our Andrew" speech to Phoebe? Andrew standing right there, Craig doing hilarious shifty eyes. So good! Re-winded that like four times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
The extra long episodes feel a bit like The Genius when there is so much discussion about who is working with whom, loyalties and which move to make to go further in the game.

• Locked thread