Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well if men can become women any time they please, it does sort of create a problem for those advocating for the rights, particularly the equal rights, of women. Gender being equal is easy enough from a legal perspective, but from a sexual and cultural perspective it's incredibly troublesome for a man to literally be able to take the one thing a woman can feel entitled to--her sex--and appropriate it.

Like, if I was a woman who had to deal with growing up as a little girl, then dealing with the trials of entering puberty, the constant pressure from both men and women to maintain certain standards of behavior and etiquette, the physical elements of entering sexual congress and ultimately conception, birth and childbirth--to have a man basically have a surgical operation, and then say he was just as much a woman I was, I'd probably be kind of irritated by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

Trans people have different childhoods. In a way, the concept of a cultural third gender (but not a practical or biological one) would be useful to answer this sort of critique, but regardless, as a trans woman who has had a pretty lovely upbringing I genuinely don't care about the average lived experiences of women at all, which seem generally childish. The existence of a few extraordinary examples is irrelevant as they can be found in either group and prove nothing. Nor is it meaningful to speak of universally shared experiences, only broadly shared experiences, which will always leave some people out and thus give lie to the myth of monolithic homogeneous experiences of a certain gender.

Regardless, if you think the answer to being denied a meaningful identity is to adopt a meaningless one (a thing you can't change, that leaves you trapped forever in a sense of victimhood), you're an idiot and need to read actual philosophy.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

wow just look at this

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Do trans people tend to take up gender-typical hobbies from their transition gender?

Specifically, I'm wondering about those hobbies which aren't particularly "fun" because of their association with the gender itself. Like, fishing: it's not a sexy symbol of masculinity, and it's boring as hell to most women, but would FTM men take an interest in it? Do MTF women quilt and watch The View at a rate similar to from-birth females?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zorodius posted:

Do trans people tend to take up gender-typical hobbies from their transition gender?

Specifically, I'm wondering about those hobbies which aren't particularly "fun" because of their association with the gender itself. Like, fishing: it's not a sexy symbol of masculinity, and it's boring as hell to most women, but would FTM men take an interest in it? Do MTF women quilt and watch The View at a rate similar to from-birth females?

Most of the trans men that show up on my facebook feed post fishing pics every couple of months, so I can confidently say the answer is 100% yes in all cases

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
transgenderism is the very enemy of feminism

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

Orkin Mang posted:

transgenderism is the very enemy of feminism

Is there a somewhat enemy and a kind of enemy?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DrowningInDreams posted:

somewhat is me and kind of is movies

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DrowningInDreams posted:

Men; other women.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
transgenderism is logically dependent upon the very gender stereotypes that feminists spent generations challenging.

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

Orkin Mang posted:

transgenderism is logically dependent upon the very gender stereotypes that feminists spent generations challenging.

Not really. Just the language of gender. I'm a trans woman who rides a motorcycle, carries and shoots a handgun, spends all her free time playing video games and arguing on the internet and reading philosophy and literature, and is majoring in a STEM subject. There is literally nothing feminine about me at all, not even in my manner of dress. Now watch the same people who said gender roles don't matter use my lack of gender conformity to say that I'm either not trans or not a woman.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Zorodius posted:

as a corollary would a MTF goon go from posting warhammer 40k threads to posting threads about quilting and such?

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DrowningInDreams posted:

Not really. Just the language of gender. I'm a trans woman who rides a motorcycle, carries and shoots a handgun, spends all her free time playing video games and arguing on the internet and reading philosophy and literature, and is majoring in a STEM subject. There is literally nothing feminine about me at all, not even in my manner of dress. Now watch the same people who said gender roles don't matter use my lack of gender conformity to say that I'm either not trans or not a woman.

ur a man

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
aping the other genders stereotypes doesnt make u neutral. thats aristotle mang

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

False

Orkin Mang posted:

aping the other genders stereotypes doesnt make u neutral. thats aristotle mang

I'm just doing my own thing.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

orkin man is so balls deep in this thread right now

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DrowningInDreams posted:

False

I'm just doing my own thing.

cool man doesnt make u a woman. you need a uterus and thousands of years of inherited prejudice for that

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

Orkin Mang posted:

cool man doesnt make u a woman. you need a uterus and thousands of years of inherited prejudice for that

Well of course that's not the thing that makes me a woman. The thing that makes me a woman is that I'm biologically a woman. The rest is literally irrelevant and illogical victim complex rationalization and groupthink.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

DrowningInDreams posted:

Trans people have different childhoods. In a way, the concept of a cultural third gender (but not a practical or biological one) would be useful to answer this sort of critique, but regardless, as a trans woman who has had a pretty lovely upbringing I genuinely don't care about the average lived experiences of women at all, which seem generally childish. The existence of a few extraordinary examples is irrelevant as they can be found in either group and prove nothing. Nor is it meaningful to speak of universally shared experiences, only broadly shared experiences, which will always leave some people out and thus give lie to the myth of monolithic homogeneous experiences of a certain gender.

Regardless, if you think the answer to being denied a meaningful identity is to adopt a meaningless one (a thing you can't change, that leaves you trapped forever in a sense of victimhood), you're an idiot and need to read actual philosophy.

What? Like okay, so you're a man who wants to be a woman, but you don't actually give a poo poo about the lived experiences of women? So what exactly about being a woman do you think you want to be or...that you are? Your identity as what lacks meaning? As a man? But...

DrowningInDreams posted:

Not really. Just the language of gender. I'm a trans woman who rides a motorcycle, carries and shoots a handgun, spends all her free time playing video games and arguing on the internet and reading philosophy and literature, and is majoring in a STEM subject. There is literally nothing feminine about me at all, not even in my manner of dress.

Then you're a man? I mean, to everyone but yourself? Like holy poo poo, is your idea of masculinity completely based on what, motorcycles and handguns? I bet leather jackets too? You're making this guy's point for him.

Orkin Mang posted:

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DrowningInDreams posted:

Well of course that's not the thing that makes me a woman. The thing that makes me a woman is that I'm biologically a woman. The rest is literally irrelevant and illogical victim complex rationalization and groupthink.

you have a uterus/vagina?? or is it like an intuitive 'i have girl thoughts' thing??

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
What's it like being Vietnamese

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What? Like okay, so you're a man who wants to be a woman, but you don't actually give a poo poo about the lived experiences of women? So what exactly about being a woman do you think you want to be or...that you are? Your identity as what lacks meaning? As a man? But...

Identifying as a gender is meaningless. It is literally Bad Faith in the Sartrean sense of wanting to become an object. And this from people who decry objectification. If they weren't an object they wouldn't be anything. It is precisely objectification they seek.

There is some brain matter in between my ears. It makes me uncomfortable with my body, and in principle comfortable with a woman's body. This makes me a woman.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Then you're a man? I mean, to everyone but yourself? Like holy poo poo, is your idea of masculinity completely based on what, motorcycles and handguns? I bet leather jackets too? You're making this guy's point for him.

And there you go again.

You know, just because a person describes something as "not-feminine" doesn't automatically make it masculine. Gender might be binary, but things aren't inherently gendered. Some warrior against sexism you are.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i dont care how u dress or what u do but claiming to be a woman has political consequences. its not just about personal choice. late modern capitalist individualism has overtaken social studies to the point that weve all become our own commodities in this our great vacuum of spontaneous will

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh god, not the political consequences

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

Orkin Mang posted:

i dont care how u dress or what u do but claiming to be a woman has political consequences. its not just about personal choice. late modern capitalist individualism has overtaken social studies to the point that weve all become our own commodities in this our great vacuum of spontaneous will

This is the end of the Kali Yuga, so such things are to be expected, but you should focus on correcting your own deficiencies and cultivating your own virtue rather than leaping to easy conclusions about others in order to feel better about yourself.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DrowningInDreams posted:

This is the end of the Kali Yuga, so such things are to be expected, but you should focus on correcting your own deficiencies and cultivating your own virtue rather than leaping to easy conclusions about others in order to feel better about yourself.

i couldnt care less how u dress and act. ur just not a woman. u cant even define what that means other than pointing to motorbike riding and some vague nonsense about brains

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Well if men can become women any time they please, it does sort of create a problem for those advocating for the rights, particularly the equal rights, of women. Gender being equal is easy enough from a legal perspective, but from a sexual and cultural perspective it's incredibly troublesome for a man to literally be able to take the one thing a woman can feel entitled to--her sex--and appropriate it.

Like, if I was a woman who had to deal with growing up as a little girl, then dealing with the trials of entering puberty, the constant pressure from both men and women to maintain certain standards of behavior and etiquette, the physical elements of entering sexual congress and ultimately conception, birth and childbirth--to have a man basically have a surgical operation, and then say he was just as much a woman I was, I'd probably be kind of irritated by it.
its refreshing when a poster outs themselves as retarded in the first few words of a post so i can spend less time reading and more time making a useless post about how bad this post is (but not as bad as the post i am currently writing)

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard

Orkin Mang posted:

i couldnt care less how u dress and act. ur just not a woman. u cant even define what that means other than pointing to motorbike riding and some vague nonsense about brains

I could make it literally as specific as you like and you would just dance around it. In fact, here (and here). Dance for me, puppet. I have to go read The Brothers Karamazov.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
Question to all you trans ppl in here, did any of you's have sex with Ryan Lochte in Rio???

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ill Peripheral posted:

Question to all you trans ppl in here, did any of you's have sex with Ryan Lochte in Rio???
i wish

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DrowningInDreams posted:

I could make it literally as specific as you like and you would just dance around it. In fact, here. Dance for me, puppet. I have to go read The Brothers Karamazov.

cool man. everyone has some correlational study they can point to that apparently justifies whatever nonsense they want. theres one about 'boys like trucks/girls like dolls' going around too. come on.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Stuntman posted:

its refreshing when a poster outs themselves as retarded

Agreed, nice av btw

DrowningInDreams posted:

There is some brain matter in between my ears. It makes me uncomfortable with my body, and in principle comfortable with a woman's body. This makes me a woman.

No it doesn't. By what metric?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Agreed, nice av btw

No it doesn't. By what metric?
thanks, it's the third one thats been bought for me this month
tbh im proud that my presence has donated 30 dollars to the forum budget

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

this thread is awesome orkin mang for gbs mod

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Tonetta posted:

These are good questions, I will get to it in a bit. Gonna make taco's

you're finally getting it done? congrats

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Parallax Scroll posted:

hooooply gently caress

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Parallax Scroll posted:

Thank you

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Stuntman posted:

tbh im proud that my presence has donated 30 dollars to the forum budget

I'm glad you've finally got something in your life to be proud of, well done. :)

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx
i used to serve hot dogs and now i serve tacos ask me anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm glad you've finally got something in your life to be proud of, well done. :)

Look 8-Bit, not everyone can be the quickest to finish record holder in Custard's Revenge.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 18, 2016

• Locked thread