Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a clown
Oct 13, 2012

by Smythe
not by me though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
It was good, and now it's less good but still pretty good. Memory lane is prob the best song on it and represent is probably the least good song, but is still good. Okay bye

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I never really got into it, was more into Biggie and Wu-Tang at the time.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I first heard Illmatic in either 94 or 95, my cousin just bought it on cassette. We must've listened to that thing a million billion times. My cousin learned all the bars, then eventually would start freestyling his own verses over the tape. I don't think I've ever been affected by an album like I was affected by Illmatic, but then again, I'm sure everyone has that generational album for them.

Plus this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrfBztmnLk8

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

Illmatic. It's got lots of Jazz samples and some fantastic lyrics. It's basically early 90s NY as heck. ULTIMATE

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I like the Michael Jackson rap song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeemon
Aug 4, 2007

$ $ $T R A P L O R D $ $ $

Illmatic changed my entire perception of what hip-hop could be. For me and the kids I grew up with it was/is the gold standard that all subsequent rap albums are measured against. I was just a young kid in '94 and didn't hear it until 2002, and even 8 years after it's release it still sounded fresher and more innovative than anything that I had heard at that point (although to be fair, 1999-2003 was a pretty sparse time for quality mainstream rap. Other than releases from already legendary rappers like Jay-Z and Dre there weren't many innovative mainstream albums. Except Eminem, of course.) .

New York State of Mind is probably the most vivid documentation of the streets in the history of rap. The first verse on Memory Lane is top ten ever. One Love is my personal favorite, especially after doing time in the state penitentiary, some of his lines are such an accurate portrayal of the realities of prison life.

Oh, and AZ's verse on Life's a Bitch steals the whole loving show.

illmatic 4evr

• Locked thread