Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Nobody wants to share nothin' with nobody. Fine, I get that. And that's all well and good until Alpha Centauri comes knocking.

There's more at stake here than the old well and your countless auto wrecks held up with cinder blocks. Humanity needs a response to aggression, whether that be the rogue asteroid or comet or a full-on, by-God armada of hostile aliens. Granted we will likely be at a disadvantage, but we need to maximize our defensive capabilities. We NEED orbital platforms with nuclear, laser, and mass-driver capabilities. We NEED to develop an energy shield, to provide some kind of defense, however minimal, to the expected bio-weapons and rape-virii of the assailants. And if all else fails, we need a contingency DNA load, wrapped in enough metal to send our own sun into supernova.

Are YOU ready? Can YOU give what it takes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
We are gonna cook ourselves to death with carbon dioxide within a hundred years so who cares about aliens and asteroids

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

Enjoy posted:

We are gonna cook ourselves to death with carbon dioxide within a hundred years so who cares about aliens and asteroids

That is negative thinking. We have the means to sequester excess carbon. We can lift it off into space, or recycle it using thermal conversion. Even the nihilists among us must come to the conclusion that existence is preferable to non-existence, because it is our experiences, however hedonistic, that give life its meaning. We must see the Earth not as a small rock circling the drain, but as a slingshot launching us into the great unknown. And in time, we will be able to give back to the Earth. And when our Sun implodes, we will be ready, and it will be a new step in our journey. Humanity! I cry out! HUMANITY!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

IMO it's time for a revolt of the rightful elites against the filthy, ignorant masses

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

icantfindaname posted:

IMO it's time for a revolt of the rightful elites against the filthy, ignorant masses

NAY!!! Only the elite are ignorant with their Playstation Platinums and their XBox sexbots! We, the true bearers of humanity's collective yoke must prepare for seņor Centauri's DN-invasion.

erosion fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 19, 2016

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
-More money for us.

-gently caress you.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015
Praised be to the God Emper-

poo poo, wrong millennium.

Also, didn't you see how the covenant smashed our orbital defense barriers? Spend the cash on Space Marines instead.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Enjoy posted:

I'm smothering myself with BBQ sauce right now in preparation for the global human cook off.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Anchor Wanker posted:

Praised be to the God Emper-

poo poo, wrong millennium.
I'm with you as long as you're talking about Leto II and not some godawful warhammer crap.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Aliens seem pretty far-fetched, OP - at least aliens we could ever hope to relate to. Any alien civilization advancing along more or less the same tech tree we are would be visible from galaxies away, and we haven't seen anything, and we've been looking for a good while now.

It's probably nothing but bacteria and slime molds from here to the edge of the visible universe, with maybe one relatable (not necessarily extent) alien 'civilization' in between.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Any civilization will move to just simulating things on a quantum computer sitting somewhere out in space pretty quickly. That is not visible, and there is no need to ever go anywhere.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

doverhog posted:

Any civilization will move to just simulating things on a quantum computer sitting somewhere out in space pretty quickly. That is not visible, and there is no need to ever go anywhere.
Nah. The computing power required to simulate trillions of universes, each with trillions of sentient beings, would easily overwhelm the resources of a medium-sized galaxy, even if that civilization was doing computing close to the theoretical limits of efficiency.

Not to mention, if they want to keep their simulation safe from other aliens, they'll have to devote considerable resources to defence - enough that we could probably measure it from here.

The solution to the Drake equation is that one of the factors (IMO, the transition from single-celled, prokaryotic life to multi-cellular eukaryotic life) is epsilon, and we're the epsilon. There are no aliens - we're alone.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Also note that I'm using "trillions" to mean "a whole lot". Any civilization simulating universes is going to gobble up energy until there isn't any left, consuming energy as quickly as they can acquire it. We'd know about this (shortly before our extinction).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's probably poo poo tons of aliens right now, we're just so far apart even after searching for millions of years we'd never find each other, let alone be searching at the same time. But in terms of relevance to us, there might as well not be aliens of any sort. I don't know, maybe what ever humans evolve into in the next few thousand years will find some weird worms on some dumb planet and compute that that is slightly interesting.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Maybe they are simulating something a little simpler than trillions of universes, but still interesting enough that they don't wanna go around meeting hairless monkeys.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also we'll never be able to explore more than our tiny local pocket of the universe anyways
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL4yYHdDSWs

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

doverhog posted:

Maybe they are simulating something a little simpler than trillions of universes, but still interesting enough that they don't wanna go around meeting hairless monkeys.
Maybe some of them place an artificial limit on the number of sentient beings they will create - which is fine until someone else comes along who doesn't play by this rule, and re-purposes their atoms for something else (simulating sentient beings more like them).

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Extensive Vamping posted:

Important question: willy my service guarantee citizenship?

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
does anyone even remember PEAK OIL?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Helsing posted:

Important question: willy my service guarantee citizenship?

Who's servicing your willy!?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

bagual posted:

does anyone even remember PEAK OIL?

yeah those people are really carmad hurtdown about fracking

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Nobody wants to share nothin' with nobody. Fine, I get that. And that's all well and good until Alpha Centauri comes knocking.

There's more at stake here than the old well and your countless auto wrecks held up with cinder blocks. Humanity needs a response to aggression, whether that be the rogue asteroid or comet or a full-on, by-God armada of hostile aliens. Granted we will likely be at a disadvantage, but we need to maximize our defensive capabilities. We NEED orbital platforms with nuclear, laser, and mass-driver capabilities. We NEED to develop an energy shield, to provide some kind of defense, however minimal, to the expected bio-weapons and rape-virii of the assailants. And if all else fails, we need a contingency DNA load, wrapped in enough metal to send our own sun into supernova.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Too bad the Federation doesn't happen until after we have WW3.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Baronjutter posted:

Who's servicing your willy!?

Hopefully Denise Richards and not the brain-sucking vagina faced cave slug.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

All of mankind is one nation op.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Star trek taught me that world peace can only occur if every race and culture outside of America is destroyed in nuclear hell fire.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Baronjutter posted:

Star trek taught me that world peace can only occur if every race and culture outside of America is destroyed in nuclear hell fire.

Wasn't piccard French? I mean, I agree that the rest of what you said is a good idea but it seems like they kept some of western europe as well. worf represents the russians or something, except the only creatures he can ever beat in a fistfight are other klingons.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
We're at a point where the dystopian cyberpunk future of the 1990's look more enviable to what we got.

I never asked for this

doverhog
May 31, 2013

In Star Trek the earth is still a post apocalyptic wasteland when we are discovered by Vulcans, who essentially take over governing mankind for years. So, to reach utopia we need to 1) have WW3 2) be discovered by benevolent aliens (preferably with pointy ears). Here's hoping.

doverhog fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 19, 2016

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

doverhog posted:

The only people who believe this are nerds who are desperately trying to convince the rest of us that doing things outside is not cool.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Doing things outside is cool. What now?

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
You obviously don't believe we're all computer simulations etc. so congratulations on being sane.

AMLOVINIT
Mar 30, 2016
Bah...my theory on all this is pretty simple: we're the scum of the universe and nobody wants to have anything to do with us. They probably like the water we have but we're such belligerent little shites, it's not worth the hassle of invading.

There's probably aliens everywhere, they just don't want to be seen...interacting with us. It kind of lowers their universe street-creed.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

AMLOVINIT posted:

Bah...my theory on all this is pretty simple: we're the scum of the universe and nobody wants to have anything to do with us. They probably like the water we have but we're such belligerent little shites, it's not worth the hassle of invading.

There's probably aliens everywhere, they just don't want to be seen...interacting with us. It kind of lowers their universe street-creed.
Water is a really common molecule and a space-faring civilization would have little reason to lift our water out of our gravity well, as opposed to just grabbing from somewhere more readily accessible. The fact is our natural resources are probably not very remarkable - if an alien race took an interest in Earth it would probably be to study Earth biology and repurpose it somehow.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
:patriot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwnzY2pxt4I :patriot:

rudatron fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 20, 2016

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
There is a neat short story and a neater Youtube short called "They're made of Meat", where machine life encounters Earth and are offended by the idea of thinking meat.
Possibly already submitted, but I don't got Youtube access now.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

Forget the aliens, it's silly to even mention it. Far more likely is an asteroid or comet. Let's look at some ideas for asteroid or comet defense. This link has several options, such as attaching rockets to an offending body, that I hadn't thought of. If you consider yourself an environmentalist in the slightest, or even if you're just concerned about American survival, you must at least consider the threat posed to the earth (and America) by large rocks/ice in space. Our children deserve no less.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Forget the aliens, it's silly to even mention it. Far more likely is an asteroid or comet. Let's look at some ideas for asteroid or comet defense. This link has several options, such as attaching rockets to an offending body, that I hadn't thought of. If you consider yourself an environmentalist in the slightest, or even if you're just concerned about American survival, you must at least consider the threat posed to the earth (and America) by large rocks/ice in space. Our children deserve no less.

the linked wikipedia article posted:

Considering the history of genocidal political leaders and the possibility of the bureaucratic obscuring of any such project's true goals to most of its scientific participants, he judged the Earth at greater risk from a man-made impact than a natural one. Sagan instead suggested that deflection technology only be developed in an actual emergency situation.

But even if you disagree with Carl and think the benefits of preparation outweigh his concern, it sounds like you're just making the case for asteroid defense, not globalism.

Actually, what do you mean by that word? I was expecting this thread to be a defense of global trade, however uncharacteristic it would have been for D&D, but it sounds like you're talking about having a global and inclusive perspective on the possibilities and dangers of human affairs. Something like the overview effect?

If that's roughly what you mean, who are you trying to convince? Who do you see as arguing against a global and inclusive perspective, such that you have to make the case for it?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Bruce Willis is still around, isn't he? I'm sure we can convince him to take down an asteroid if the need arises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
What if we are the most advanced civilization in the universe? What if we -are- the Ancients?

• Locked thread