Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hemophilia posted:

32 inch 1080p monitor. Microsoft keyboard. Some kind of Gaymer mouse with two extra buttons and a lightshow LED thats annoying when im trying to sleep.

That sounds awful, unless you are looking at it from another room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

reallivedinosaur posted:

you guys are dumb i bought the xbox one and i can play all the latest games at the highest possible resolutions in 3d with the best possible sound and best possible ram

Too bad a typical game for an xbox costs as much as a midrange pc

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
why the gently caress do you have 64 gigs of RAM you turbonerd

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
data science perhaps.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

who needs hadoop when your poo poo can fit in memory

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nathilus posted:

A dissapointing large amount of goons have been tricked into buying liquid cooling systems for consumer grade pcs, WTF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7cc4eLAOMk

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nathilus posted:

A dissapointing large amount of goons have been tricked into buying liquid cooling systems for consumer grade pcs, WTF.

but it's like $50 now who cares

it's worth the extra what ten dollars to not have to hear the fans so much

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

k

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The water cooling radiator still has a fan though. Seems kind of pointless because under load you're probably mostly hearing your gpu anyway. Once you get into gpu water blocks it starts getting complicated and expensive again.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lol but why no game exists that needs that much hardware so you just spend thousands of dollars because....... ?

just literally to throw the epeen around?

e: oh wait wtf the e5645 doesn't have that many cores

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

lol but why no game exists that needs that much hardware so you just spend thousands of dollars because....... ?

just literally to throw the epeen around?

he probably has a job that involves one of the many many programs that can take advantage of many cpu cores.

e: hyper-threading and two sockets.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
still am i supposed to be impressed that's like a $100 cpu

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

still am i supposed to be impressed that's like a $100 cpu

You were mad he spent too much now you're mad that he didn't spend enough? You just want to be a dick apparently.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

yeah you can get old servers hella cheap

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The cool thing about PCs is that you can do a lot more than gaming and there's plenty of things you can do that require heavy duty hardware that would be overkill for gaming, but if you're a music producer trying to run LA strings or something, or doing a student project that requires hardware that can do high quality animation and rendering that finishes some time in your lifetime, or if you even do video editing for something like youtube and vimeo, suddenly becomes justifiable, and incidentally can play any game you can throw at it without sweating.

Lol @ everyone ITT that has screamed at people "YOU DON'T NEED THAT TO PLAY GAMES IDIOT THATS OVERKILL" like, gaming is your benchmark. Cool. It's my benchmark too. That's the most cpu/gpu intense thing i do, but lots of people make a living doing other things on a pc.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

You were mad he spent too much now you're mad that he didn't spend enough? You just want to be a dick apparently.

well no at first I thought it was that like $3000 cpu and I was like 'wtf idiot' but then I was like 'wtf you have a shithouse CPU with SIXTY FOUR gigs of RAM?'

yeah but we're in GBS here

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
oh a server well that's not a PC is it

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

well no at first I thought it was that like $3000 cpu and I was like 'wtf idiot' but then I was like 'wtf you have a shithouse CPU with SIXTY FOUR gigs of RAM?'

It's a good and affordable set up for a lot of work loads. It would suck poo poo for gaming because most games can't use more than four cores effectively, but for video encoding it can probably stand toe to toe with a $2000 PC.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

Well, it is if you own it.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i hope i can run teh new deus ex game. my benchmark is typically 1-2 top games a year

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

If it's a server at your desk it's called a workstation.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want a server where do I get a hella cheap one. stalk tech companies until one of them upgrades?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Robo Reagan posted:

I want a server where do I get a hella cheap one. stalk tech companies until one of them upgrades?

ebay or one of the many companies that wholesale stuff after companies upgrades

you can get last gen servers for like 20 bucks

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

bloodysabbath posted:

Son I built my god machine for like 2k. 6k is what scrubs who buy prebuilt poo poo endorsed by FATAL1TY PEWDIePIE spend.

Fuckin' ey bro :respek: I always had Soundblaster cards in every build but I said gently caress it when they started that Fatal one thank you poo poo.

TheMostFrench posted:

Here's my motherboard, notice that there is no socket to insert into the pcie slot. That's because I ripped it out by accident when replacing the gfx card. It still works perfectly in the other slot.

Lol did you forget to relase the PCIE retention mechanism and just hulk out you vid card?

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Thinking bout a video card upgrade. What's the latest hotness?

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/18/2016, 20:34:32
Machine name: HIVEMIND
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7870

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I have the original mbp retina which cost like $1,000,000 but the fucker is a beast and runs games/3D mod apps (eg maya 3ds max rendering) fantastically. I'm actually shocked how good this thing is and how long it's stood up to time.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

PyPy posted:

------------------
System Information
------------------

Nvidia 10 series. Someone earlier implied the 970 is a better value than the 1060, but at least on paper the 1060 6GB looks better in every way.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Booblord Zagats posted:

A 37 Hectare Smart Processor with a strong core
A Duramax 1500 RAM (2009)
4 Hogshead Storage
Overbearing Jewish Mother's Ironing board
A 350W copy of Hearts in Motion by Air Supply

The only build I have any interest in whatsoever. Please send me FOB pricing at once.

Various HP big box store prebuilts because I don't need them to match the paint and underbody lighting scheme on a Subaru Impreza. I don't fault anyone who does, I just went through all of this back when there was near zero documentation for the parts and Computer Shopper routinely deforested Maine.

One is an all in one with Beats Audio that sounds like a dollar store pillow speaker at any setting and with any source. Dre took their money and ran, I guess.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i just ran system bench on my computer and suffice it to say my hardware score is over 9000

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

PyPy posted:

------------------
System Information
------------------

Cpu might be a bottleneck idk

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I always just buy the computer with the most numbers so I'm pretty sure mine is top of the line :smug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I built my main desktop back in 2010 or 2011, and upgraded components since.

Current iteration:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 ghz
16 GB DDR 3 1600 RAM
Nvidia GTX 660 2 GB video card
1 240 GB SSD with Windows 7 on it
2 120 GB SSDs with openSUSE
1 TB HDD storage drive
500 GB HDD storage drive
180 GB HDD storage drive (old IDE drive, LOL)
CD/DVD drive of some sort that rarely sees any use
poo poo ton of fans

Thinking of upgrading the video card again as soon as reasonable.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I did a terrible terrible thing.
----------------------------------------------
OS - Windows 10 home
CPU - amd fx 8350
GPU - amd radeon R9 270X
Ram - 16 gigs
Storage - two 1TB hard drives
Installed but not connected - CDrom, CDrw, 3.5 inch floppy, 5.25 inch floppy
Cooling - not enough :supaburn:

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

Germstore posted:

Nvidia 10 series. Someone earlier implied the 970 is a better value than the 1060, but at least on paper the 1060 6GB looks better in every way.

RX 480 is also an option, although relatively painful to find. The RX 470 would be a decent upgrade, but not as big as the 480 or 1060. It is much easier to find than the RX 480 though:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126123

But if you must have the more powerful GTX 1060, this one seems to be in-stock regularly, and is a good brand at a decent price:

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Perfect-Graphics-06G-P4-6163-KR/dp/B01IPVSLTC

Avoid the newly-released 3GB GTX 1060 card. Just when you thought the GTX 970 3.5GB ram wasn't enough for this performance level, Nvidia is daring you to go even lower!

defaultluser fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 19, 2016

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
You people with your AMD processors are hilarious, should have just got a 99 dollar i3 at Micro center, save yourselves so money and get the same performance.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am an AMD man myself *tugs on oil stained overalls and watches house burn down*

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
I already tol u guys my gaming rig but I have a home theater machine as well:

UFC 202
Flexfilter with M9 protoscoop
xtx Digirama Foreskin
RIO 2016 Backups
Minesweeper 2
A Big Glowing Purple Crystal Humming With Dark Malevolent Energy
Wireless Mouse/keyboard

Works well enough to do most home theater stuff and even a little gaming from time to time don't stare at the crystal you fool

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
i5 4670
16GB DDR3
GTX 970
two SSDs (120GB and 240GB), two HDDs (2TB and 3TB)
one 27" 4K monitor, one 23" 1080p

Thinking of upgrading to the new Titan X, also thinking of buying $1200 worth of Hearthstone cards instead because that's the PC game I play most often.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Squish posted:

Lol did you forget to relase the PCIE retention mechanism and just hulk out you vid card?

That is exactly what happened. It didn't actually need very much force, but because of the angle it bent some of the pins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
I spent way too much on this.

Coolermaster HAF X case
EVGA 1000P2 PSU
i7 6950x @ 4.3 ghz
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming mobo
64 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200mhz
2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Founder's w/HB sli bridge
Samsung 1TB 850 Evo SSD
Samsung 500GB 840 Evo SSD
Corsair H110i GTX AIO cpu cooler
Sound Blaster Z
Sony 65 inch 4k TV as monitor

Now I want 2 Titan XP's and one of them fancy new 1TB Samsung m.2 drives. I have a problem send he;lp

DarkEnigma fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 19, 2016

• Locked thread