Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

DarkEnigma posted:

I spent way too much on this.

Coolermaster HAF X case
EVGA 1000P2 PSU
i7 6950x @ 4.3 ghz
Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming mobo
64 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200mhz
2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Founder's w/HB sli bridge
Samsung 1TB 850 Evo SSD
Samsung 500GB 840 Evo SSD
Corsair H110i GTX AIO cpu cooler
Sound Blaster Z
Sony 65 inch 4k TV as monitor

Now I want 2 Titan XP's and one of them fancy new 1TB Samsung m.2 drives. I have a problem send he;lp

What game can't you play with x2 1080s that you need x2 Titans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

DarkEnigma posted:

Coolermaster HAF X case
EVGA 1000P2 PSU
i7 6950x @ 4.3 ghz
Samsung 1TB 850 Evo SSD
Sound Blaster Z

Now I want 2 Titan XP's and one of them fancy new 1TB Samsung m.2 drives. I have a problem send he;lp

Nice. I want to get another GTX sometime or maybe just 1 Titan to justify bumping up to a 4k TV.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001
You'd be surprised how demanding games can be in 4k when you crank up the settings, particularly anti aliasing.

That and 3D mark.

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/301552

Also I would suggest 2 titans over one or at least SLI 1080's over 1 titan.

DarkEnigma fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 19, 2016

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

JiveHonky posted:

I already tol u guys my gaming rig but I have a home theater machine as well:

UFC 202
Flexfilter with M9 protoscoop
xtx Digirama Foreskin
RIO 2016 Backups
Minesweeper 2
A Big Glowing Purple Crystal Humming With Dark Malevolent Energy
Wireless Mouse/keyboard

Works well enough to do most home theater stuff and even a little gaming from time to time don't stare at the crystal you fool

Sick I just got my digirama foreskin in gunmetal here's my sick desktop motorboat:

Plesss w.OC9x
NV Nineveh Digital Recording Tongs, 2xpair
Level 17 HaberdasherEX oozetower case with Joozecoolant built in, in Green
Quad-comm Digi-Resplicer Soulwave Crusher Mega-Modus hard drive, 1tb, pink
Doritos talkback keyboard guitar
a bunch of Monitors in a pyramid configuration; ants.

Let's just say the competition never even saw me coming :chord:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
its like 6 years old and ive replaced the PSU and GPU so :confused:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Has 4k etc size screend made sli worth it yet?

Since sli/crossfire came out they have been good for benchmarking and getting more fps in games locked to whatever the cirrent console gen's specs are.

Or can i still basically 4k with 1 reallya good gpu and sli is still for ppl with lots of tism dollars

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

hemophilia posted:

sli worth it yet?

its worth it if u have autism yeah definitely

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DarkEnigma posted:

That and 3D mark.

http://www.3dmark.com/spy/301552

Also I would suggest 2 titans over one or at least SLI 1080's over 1 titan.

Ah, the hottest new game 3D Mark, I can lose myself in it for hours on end

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hemophilia posted:

Since sli/crossfire came out they have been good for benchmarking and getting more fps in games locked to whatever the cirrent console gen's specs are.

Or can i still basically 4k with 1 reallya good gpu and sli is still for ppl with lots of tism dollars

do you need literally every setting cranked up to 11? If not, 1x 1080 should be enough for any current game at 4k

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

do you need literally every setting cranked up to 11? If not, 1x 1080 should be enough for any current game at 4k

I do not. Good to know.

I'm really happy with my 1080 monitor though. I'm gonna need a lot of spare money to even think about a 4k screen right now.

does SLI suport non-identical cards yet? I think the feature would be a lot better if you could mix n match at least within generations.

If i could SLI a better geforce 7xx with my 750 I would think about that over buying a 9 or 10 series, but I don't know the engineering hurdles behind that or whatever.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

My autoexec.bat game is strong my friends

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I spent 2700 dollars on the 512GB ssd i7 version of the surface book and dual boot windows 10/ubuntu(for work). It's pretty great and does everything I could want it to do, I don't care about 4k gaming or whatever the only games I play on my computer are hearthstone and a text game.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
I bought a 1080 when I was sick and on cold and flu medication. It has some fancy LEDs but I can't see them because my case doesn't have a window :(

NVJ
Apr 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wow what a waste of money, gay

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i don't pay attention to specs i just buy the latest $6,000 alienware rig every 6 months

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
My Power Supply is 200 watts better than that DarkEnigma guy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Got some good ideas from the thread, so going to build a whole new PC.

CPU: Visceral Computing Onyx-Hound 10.2mhz
CPU Cooler: Sakomoto Heavy Concern "Big Jim"
Mobo: Dromeo Research 27-K Gorgon
Mem: 1TB MemTRAIN LazerSAW 5k
GPU: Palatino Chemical Glaive644 /w Port-Buddy
Storage: Granite Rainbow 64TB MagnetoVOX
Case: Ikea Torfenhääg Graphite
Power Supply: Arc-Delights Electroniwiz OHM-King
Optical Drive: Hochi Optical 32x Comfort-Reader
Sound Card: Daptronic X-Labs Sound-Flinger

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007
Literally a huge pile of poo poo with a monitor cable stuck in it. I type by mashing my greasy sausage fingers into the poop.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
NVIDIA claims that you need a 500 watt power supply for a 970, but my 330 watt supply runs one just fine.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Got some good ideas from the thread, so going to build a whole new PC.

CPU: Visceral Computing Onyx-Hound 10.2mhz
CPU Cooler: Sakomoto Heavy Concern "Big Jim"
Mobo: Dromeo Research 27-K Gorgon
Mem: 1TB MemTRAIN LazerSAW 5k
GPU: Palatino Chemical Glaive644 /w Port-Buddy
Storage: Granite Rainbow 64TB MagnetoVOX
Case: Ikea Torfenhääg Graphite
Power Supply: Arc-Delights Electroniwiz OHM-King
Optical Drive: Hochi Optical 32x Comfort-Reader
Sound Card: Daptronic X-Labs Sound-Flinger

I laughed for a good couple minutes on this. I especially like the CPU Cooler.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

hemophilia posted:

I'd say if anything the 1080 is such a beast that it makes sli less worth it.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

an unintentionally depressing thread where we're all stuck in the cycle of upgrading our sweet gaming PCs even though we all seem to agree that there are no good games anymore and that the time where we enjoyed playing them is hermetically sealed in the past, gone.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Dennis System posted:

NVIDIA claims that you need a 500 watt power supply for a 970, but my 330 watt supply runs one just fine.

Optimally your system power consumption should be 50 - 60% of your PSU rating, but the efficiency of the supply can drop pretty drastically if you do that. So if Nvidia recommends 500W, you can run the card on something weaker, but it will lead to more heat, higher energy bills and probably reduced longevity on the PSU.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
I am currently runnin' an i7 2600K, 16GB, 980ti, 2 X SSD in RAID 0, 1440p monitor, Windows 7. I can play pretty much every game in 1440p at ultra settings.

I will upgrade when DX12 games become more ubiquitous, and when a single GPU exists that allows 4K play at ultra settings.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

what is pussy has anyone ever seen it

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

hth posted:

im too cool for computers, says an anime guy posting on a paid internet forum since 2007

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

hth posted:

Look in the mirror :hehe:

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

The Dennis System posted:

enjoy your fire

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

DarkEnigma posted:

Coolermaster HAF X case
EVGA 1000P2 PSU
i7 6950x @ 4.3 ghz
Samsung 1TB 850 Evo SSD
Sound Blaster Z

I want to be your computer salesman. The commish on that rig qould keep me in sardines for a year. Particularly lol at 64 gigs of ram and the sound blaster. I didn't even know they still made consumer grade sound cards anymore. You know that sound cards are built in to every single mobo right? Dual 1080s is so stupid at this point i dont even have an insult ready for that level of stupidity.

This pc is the equivalent of owning an f350 with a gooseneck hitch and nothing to haul with it. Congrats you have convinced me that your penis is MICROSCOPIC.

However, good job with that tv as a monitor thing. Pro move.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

bitmap posted:

an unintentionally depressing thread where we're all stuck in the cycle of upgrading our sweet gaming PCs even though we all seem to agree that there are no good games anymore and that the time where we enjoyed playing them is hermetically sealed in the past, gone.

That's nuts, I've been playing Dark Souls 3 every day after work the past month, this game rules. Deus Ex 4 is coming out in a few weeks, that's gonna be my next marathon.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
You kind of do need two 1080s for 4K if you want to not turn any settings down at all. Everyone else can just buy one and turn the settings down to Very High. The great thing about not needing SLI is you don't need a gaming motherboard and a 600W PSU is more than enough which frees up a couple hundred dollars to throw towards the CPU.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Germstore posted:

You kind of do need two 1080s for 4K if you want to not turn any settings down at all. Everyone else can just buy one and turn the settings down to Very High. The great thing about not needing SLI is you don't need a gaming motherboard and a 600W PSU is more than enough which frees up a couple hundred dollars to throw towards the CPU.

Word but goddamn. Dude probably blew 1500 on the 1080s and mobo ALONE for that hot hot ULTRA ALL 4K action and I just can't stop laughing.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
In 2 years the next generation VR will be out and be wayyyy cooler and 1080s will be half the price.

Gen 1 VR sucks.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Prorat posted:

In 2 years the next generation VR will be out and be wayyyy cooler and 1080s will be half the price.

Gen 1 VR sucks.

In 2 years we're all gonna be laughing at what a stupid fad VR was.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Prorat posted:

Gen 1 VR sucks.

I don't think it sucks I just think it's for rubes. But yeah, people who are smart and have limited amounts of money are all waiting a year or two.

notZaar posted:

In 2 years we're all gonna be laughing at what a stupid fad VR was.

I wouldn't bet on it. Too many people have had their panties in a twist over vr since the 80s for it to just disappear. Besides, now that we are on the cusp of being able to do it affordably, it will presumably start being used for non-entertainment purposes. Like, my dad was pretty computer retarded, but he was an architect/general contractor. There's value to be had for vr in that arena. Walk your client through proposed changes kinda thing. Military remote operations rigs, medical stuff presumably, design work. There's all sorts of possibilities for the technology.

Anyway yeah I'm fairly convinced vr is not the new google glass. Not sure but I wouldn't put money on the other side of the argument.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Google Glass had more potential than this VR, because you don't need a gaming PC and cables running to your head strap.

DarkEnigma
Mar 31, 2001

Nathilus posted:

I want to be your computer salesman. The commish on that rig qould keep me in sardines for a year. Particularly lol at 64 gigs of ram and the sound blaster. I didn't even know they still made consumer grade sound cards anymore. You know that sound cards are built in to every single mobo right? Dual 1080s is so stupid at this point i dont even have an insult ready for that level of stupidity.

This pc is the equivalent of owning an f350 with a gooseneck hitch and nothing to haul with it. Congrats you have convinced me that your penis is MICROSCOPIC.

However, good job with that tv as a monitor thing. Pro move.

The sound card is necessary cause I have it hooked up to my home theater. If you want surround sound with on board mobo sound you need to go analog and my reciever doesn't have 6 channel analog inputs, just digital. The SBZ is the only card that does dolby digital live through optical output for true surround sound.

And yeah I still have to turn some settings down with dual 1080's at 4k. I'll give you the ram though, that was completely superfluous. I had 32 gigs of ram and upgraded to x99 and just couldnt stand seeing those empty ram slots lol.

Yes I'm terrible at cable management.

DarkEnigma fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 19, 2016

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

The only thing i hosed up on my last build was not using a case with a 5-1/4" slot so i can reuse this from my last

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

DarkEnigma posted:

The sound card is necessary cause I have it hooked up to my home theater. If you want surround sound with on board mobo sound you need to go analog and my reciever doesn't have 6 channel analog inputs, just digital. The SBZ is the only card that does dolby digital live through optical output for true surround sound.

And yeah I still have to turn some settings down with dual 1080's at 4k. I'll give you the ram though, that was completely superfluous. I had 32 gigs of ram and upgraded to x99 and just couldnt stand seeing those empty ram slots lol.

that fata1ty-rear end motherboard doesn't have hdmi out?

also clean that poo poo up, you slob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
A good PC is like a chest cavity. Messy, dark, hidden away from the world.

• Locked thread