Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was Bleach good?
This poll is closed.
yah 57 21.03%
nah 214 78.97%
Total: 271 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nuebot posted:

So did urahara, Grimjow and Nel just die then?

Who the gently caress knows.

I dropped Bleach, but I always knew I would go back to see how it ended. It felt like it was building to at least something for its finale, some vague payoff to the larger of its loose threads.

Instead we get "then the good guys won and lived happily ever after, the end". I just feel... hollow, like it robbed me of any good vibes I might one have had for it, then instead of getting to see it die so I'd at least have that, it's just... gone. No closure, no satisfaction, just a vague sense of dissatisfaction that it won't ever come back and fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Glad they made Aizen a new chair

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Reminder that at the end of both series this somehow had almost 3 times the chapters of noted much better series Beelzebub :argh:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bleremiah posted:

Glad they made Aizen a new chair

if there is no god, man would make one

if god had no chair, so too would He make one

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I just came to the realization that Bleach's ending, was much like Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain...there wasn't one and the "ending" was horribly anticlimactic...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the phantom pain takes place decades before the conclusion to the series and was showing you how the characters got from point a (peace walker) to point b (original metal gear)

the ending did feel kinda similar in that both seem like they were cancelled right near the finale tho, I'll give you that

giffan
Jul 10, 2012
I kept reading for Mayuri, so in that way I'm fairly satisfied.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Who the gently caress knows.

I dropped Bleach, but I always knew I would go back to see how it ended. It felt like it was building to at least something for its finale, some vague payoff to the larger of its loose threads.

Instead we get "then the good guys won and lived happily ever after, the end". I just feel... hollow, like it robbed me of any good vibes I might one have had for it, then instead of getting to see it die so I'd at least have that, it's just... gone. No closure, no satisfaction, just a vague sense of dissatisfaction that it won't ever come back and fix.

I think you're trying to find more to Bleach than there ever was.

The ending was rushed as hell, but it would not have been any different if it hadn't been cancelled.

The universe that didn't cancel Bleach just saw a poo poo ton more meaningless fights for a few years until Ichigo's sword got broken, fixed, and then Ichigo kills Ywach with his sword turning into the original sword. Then Rukia becomes captain and we see everyone in a happy epilogue.

The only difference is that in this version it happened over 7 chapters instead of 50, but the content is very much the same.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna be honest, I could've done without Mayuri after his fight with Ishida in SS. His later fights were just stupid. I mean that's true for everyone, but more so for him.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Bad Seafood posted:

Just so there're no surprises, gonna leave this thread open for a bit - maybe a day or so - for everybody to post their piece, after which I'm gonna lock it and let it sink to the bottom of the board.

Could you leave it open a bit longer to see if we can get some news on the live action movie?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Its the end guys, looking forward to Bleach Z during the chapter of Kubo's life where he needs more money! Was fun having sorta internet conversations!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chumbler posted:

Gonna be honest, I could've done without Mayuri after his fight with Ishida in SS. His later fights were just stupid. I mean that's true for everyone, but more so for him.

Hell, keeping Mayuri alive and nominally a good guy after SS always felt weird to me. I remember when he told that one Espada "THE TRUE POWER AND MEANING OF SCIENCE" like he wasn't guilty of a million war crimes and ethical breaches.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ishida should have killed him when they fought the first time. if anyone did not earn a happy ending, it's him

he's probably only even alive so that kubo can think up new ways to draw his head

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

ishida should have killed him when they fought the first time. if anyone did not earn a happy ending, it's him

he's probably only even alive so that kubo can think up new ways to draw his head

...Did Uryu even go on to kill anyone with a name after that?

Does poor Uryu not have a single kill?

I mean, I know Chad doesn't, but Chad's a plank of wood with a face drawn on it anyway so it fits. Uryu is at least theoretically interesting.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

tbf his new heads were the best part about him. though i think some pitiable dumbass was enough of a fan to buy a mayuri smilie.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Serious Frolicking posted:

well, you have to remember that naruto once had a panic attack and started hyperventilating when someone told him that sasuke was a huge rear end in a top hat, terrorist and murderer and no one else even wanted him to come back.
I'm enjoying how lovely Boruto is making Naruto look- both the original manga and the character.

He doesn't become the greatest hokage; he becomes the last one and lets shadow clones raise his kids because "hey I get their memories or whatever it counts".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Fabricated posted:

I'm enjoying how lovely Boruto is making Naruto look- both the original manga and the character.

He doesn't become the greatest hokage; he becomes the last one and lets shadow clones raise his kids because "hey I get their memories or whatever it counts".

that's the reasoning that bothered me the most

if you have shadow clones why not just let them do all the actual work and spend all day with your family

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm ok with the ending. I do wish we knew what really happened to all of the characters who weren't shown, and what they did to replace the soul king. But I'm ok with the parts of the ending that we got.

Just ok.

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012
Ichigo's sisters still look like children/teenagers and they're supposed to be 23 now. Ghost babies? Aizen wins? Ichigo keeps his childhood friends and Orihime has none.

Great ending.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Shugojin posted:

that's the reasoning that bothered me the most

if you have shadow clones why not just let them do all the actual work and spend all day with your family

"Because this is the Hokage's office."

Naruto has hosed up priorities since he never had a family, it's kinda interesting actually. Better than Ichigo's only new trait is residing hairline.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

What happened to Dog Head Man?? I sort of know he transformed into Man Head Man for some reason, but did he die after that or what?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

standard owl posted:

What happened to Dog Head Man?? I sort of know he transformed into Man Head Man for some reason, but did he die after that or what?

I think last time we saw him he had turned into a tiny actual fox and Iba found him?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ever since the main series ended everything kishi has written has revolved around the theme of absentee fathers. i find that both fascinating and hilarious. it didn't hurt that salad gaiden was really good, either.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

chumbler posted:

:yeah:

standard owl posted:

He unlocked invincibility for like 5 minutes and subsequently became a Dog Head Dog. And then he died offscreen presumably.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

I think dogs should be able to hold captain positions :mad:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ever since the main series ended everything kishi has written has revolved around the theme of absentee fathers. i find that both fascinating and hilarious. it didn't hurt that salad gaiden was really good, either.
The week or so when the current chapter of that was the one where the DNA test seemed to reveal that Sakura wasn't Salad's mom was fantastic.

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012

standard owl posted:

I think dogs should be able to hold captain positions :mad:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I still can't believe that the kids are named Bort and Salad

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Nel was the only good character, what happened to Nel.

Also I stopped reading in Hueco Mundo somewhere.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hey spiritus nox maybe you should just actually read the manga instead of making us relay the entirety of it to you.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

hey spiritus nox maybe you should just actually read the manga instead of making us relay the entirety of it to you.

no shush this one specific situation is the one thing having read bleach prepared us for

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Actually reading Bleach? Please, like I have 30 minutes of my life to spare for that, thank you very much

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The only difference is that in this version it happened over 7 chapters instead of 50, but the content is very much the same.

Yeah, I know. :( I guess I would have preferred that? Like at least the series would have run its course rather than just stopping suddenly out of embarrassment. If you can't hold on to that one small shred of dignity then why bother doing anything.

I have to ask, when these last few chapters played out, did the thread just collectively go "wait, hang on, it isn't just about to stop, is it? :psyduck:". Or was there some amount of warning beforehand?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Yeah, I know. :( I guess I would have preferred that? Like at least the series would have run its course rather than just stopping suddenly out of embarrassment. If you can't hold on to that one small shred of dignity then why bother doing anything.

I have to ask, when these last few chapters played out, did the thread just collectively go "wait, hang on, it isn't just about to stop, is it? :psyduck:" Or was there some amount of warning beforehand?

Cancellation was well announced.

Executives just kicked Kubo to the curb because he was just stagnating forever and never going anywhere.

Like the previous year's worth of chapters had just been

I USE MY SPECIAL MOVE

NO IT'S INEFFECTIVE BECAUSE OF MY SPECIAL MOVE

WELL I USE MY MORE SPECIAL MOVE

NO IT'S STILL INEFFECTIVE BECAUSE OF MY EVEN MORE SPECIAL MOVE

until the good guy's move actually worked

like you read the geometry dude who turned into a bunch of flamingos who were killed by Kira, right

you read that

Bleach needed to be cancelled or Kubo was never gonna get there

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I have to ask, when these last few chapters played out, did the thread just collectively go "wait, hang on, it isn't just about to stop, is it? :psyduck:" Or was there some amount of warning beforehand?

the cancellation was announced maybe 2 months ago? though, some sad souls on reddit tried desperately to convince themselves that it was not true. it was very obvious in the manga when kubo learned he had gotten canned, because all the lengthy pointless bullshit he had set up ended almost immediately and he jumped straight to the first ywach/ichigo fight.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Cancellation was well announced.

Executives just kicked Kubo to the curb because he was just stagnating forever and never going anywhere.

Like the previous year's worth of chapters had just been

I USE MY SPECIAL MOVE

NO IT'S INEFFECTIVE BECAUSE OF MY SPECIAL MOVE

WELL I USE MY MORE SPECIAL MOVE

NO IT'S STILL INEFFECTIVE BECAUSE OF MY EVEN MORE SPECIAL MOVE

until the good guy's move actually worked

like you read the geometry dude who turned into a bunch of flamingos who were killed by Kira, right

you read that

Bleach needed to be cancelled or Kubo was never gonna get there

actually, they never really said why bleach was cancelled and it is unlikely anyone involved ever will. it seems obvious that sj just got tired of kubo's bullshit, but it is always possible that something else was going on behind the scenes. i think that is extremely unlikely, though.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

instead of reading one piece & bleach and having the good with the bad every week i just get to have the good now, life owns

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

actually, they never really said why bleach was cancelled and it is unlikely anyone involved ever will. it seems obvious that sj just got tired of kubo's bullshit, but it is always possible that something else was going on behind the scenes. i think that is extremely unlikely, though.

All of what I said is true even if it wasn't the reason for the cancellation.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Shugojin posted:

you read that

Maybe? The final arc just kind of blended together for me. By the time I dropped it I was just idly glancing at the page without taking a single thing in so I could move on to One Piece as fast as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm honestly not sure if i have read all of the final arc or not. i dropped in and out over the last few years, and all the bullshit just blurs together.

• Locked thread