Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powershell-is-open-sourced-and-is-available-on-linux/

quote:

Today’s customers live in a multi-platform, multi-cloud, multi-OS world – that’s just reality. This world brings new challenges and customers need tools to make everything work together. Microsoft is working company-wide to deliver management tools that empower customers to manage any platform, from anywhere, on any device, using Linux or Windows. This shift to a more open, customer-obsessed approach to deliver innovation is one of the things that makes me most excited to come to work every day.

You’ve heard Satya Nadella say “Microsoft loves Linux” and that’s never been more true than now. Nearly one in three VMs on Azure are Linux. Nearly 60 percent of third-party IaaS offers in the Azure Marketplace are open source software (OSS). We have forged strong industry partners to extend choice to our customers. We’ve announced SQL Server on Linux, as well as open sourced .NET. We added Bash to Windows 10 to make it a great platform for developing OSS. And, we’re active contributors and participants to numerous open source projects (e.g. OpenSSH, FreeBS, Mesos, Docker, Linux and many more) across the industry.

Today, we are taking the next step in our journey. I am extremely excited to share that PowerShell is open sourced and available on Linux. (For those of you who need a refresher, PowerShell is a task-based command-line shell and scripting language built on the .NET Framework to help IT professionals control and automate the administration of the Windows, and now Linux, operating systems and the applications that run on them.) I’m going to share a bit more about our journey getting here, and will tell you how Microsoft Operations Management Suite can enhance the PowerShell experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

First post.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I wouldn't really call powershell "good". better than anything else previously available on linux for sure, but that's not hard.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i guess it would be nice if it adds RPC-like functionality to linux

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
i think powershell might actually have even worse syntax than bash

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

gently caress microsoft for doing this. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

daft punk railroad posted:

i think powershell might actually have even worse syntax than bash

god no. the only thing worse than bash is probably perl.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
power hell

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

microsoft is pretty crafty in this try to completely destroy linux, they simply implement the obviously superior way of doing things, port it to linux and provide it for free in all the necessary senses, and watch linux luddites reject it so hard that it poisons the well for the entire direction

v. cracty

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

god no. the only thing worse than bash is probably perl.
look who forgot about cmd.exe

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx
i've waited years hoping to have powershell on linux so i have to type "GetChildItem" because "ls" was getting painfully tedious

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Gazpacho posted:

look who forgot about cmd.exe

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what can power she'll even do

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echinopsis posted:

what can power she'll even do

power sheila

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx
just when you thought systemd was going to flip the lunix world on it's head here comes this fedex box of turd

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
miles prower shell

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Robot Pride posted:

just when you thought systemd was going to flip the lunix world on it's head here comes this fedex box of turd

Don't sign your posts.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Robot Pride posted:

i've waited years hoping to have powershell on linux so i have to type "GetChildItem" because "ls" was getting painfully tedious

gci - noob.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it's actually Get-ChildItem

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

microsoft is pretty crafty in this try to completely destroy linux, they simply implement the obviously superior way of doing things, port it to linux and provide it for free in all the necessary senses, and watch linux luddites reject it so hard that it poisons the well for the entire direction

v. cracty

Yeah, I feel like microsoft's "<3 Linux" strategy is the first time ms has been a threat to linux in at least a decade.

lmao if you haven't realized that microsoft linux is coming soon. if they're smart, it will do a good job of being a citizen of the linux community, but it will include killer features like, say, the ability to run native windows processes from linux.

there are a lot of people who just use linux because it's the best choice, and not because it's open source or anything. those people would have no issue moving to a microsoft linux, if microsoft demonstrated that they could make the best linux. i think most developers have a pretty high regard for the microsoft toolchain, and i'm certainly open minded to microsoft linux.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

also i've used .net and powershell some and its handling of exit codes for common uses is horribly hilariously broken and you have to do imperfect workarounds

also .net's standard api for redirecting of the standard output and error streams when creating a new shell process has a built in race condition where sometimes you'll lose some of the beginning stream output b/c your binding came in a little later

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
power bottom shell

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
hopefully they give it a typical short name like the other dumb shells

bash? psh

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
nicsh

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

if they're smart, it will do a good job of being a citizen of the linux community, but it will include killer features like, say,

a working audio framework

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
noish

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

embrace extend extinguish.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

power smell

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I'm loving triggered

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

n...noooooo

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
kai's power shell

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Tankakern posted:

gently caress microsoft for doing this. gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

why? some say that it'll be "good".

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

can it do ctrl-r
this is all I need in a shell

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Yeah, I feel like microsoft's "<3 Linux" strategy is the first time ms has been a threat to linux in at least a decade.

lmao if you haven't realized that microsoft linux is coming soon. if they're smart, it will do a good job of being a citizen of the linux community, but it will include killer features like, say, the ability to run native windows processes from linux.

there are a lot of people who just use linux because it's the best choice, and not because it's open source or anything. those people would have no issue moving to a microsoft linux, if microsoft demonstrated that they could make the best linux. i think most developers have a pretty high regard for the microsoft toolchain, and i'm certainly open minded to microsoft linux.

i was to some extent trolling (mixed with a real annoyance that the linux commandline has made almost no progress in 20ish years and an opinion that powershell has a lot of excellent ideas), but this is actually a p. interesting point

port some actually relevant microsoft server products onto linux (sql server already there and a very competitive product) , tie the admin of them to powershell, toss in some baseline effort in making remaining linux admin powershell-enabled, and likely get a very real technology foothold

wouldn't really be a bad thing for anyone except some foss diehards either, and even their arguments would necessarily be somewhat spurious

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i was to some extent trolling (mixed with a real annoyance that the linux commandline has made almost no progress in 20ish years and an opinion that powershell has a lot of excellent ideas), but this is actually a p. interesting point

port some actually relevant microsoft server products onto linux (sql server already there and a very competitive product) , tie the admin of them to powershell, toss in some baseline effort in making remaining linux admin powershell-enabled, and likely get a very real technology foothold

wouldn't really be a bad thing for anyone except some foss diehards either, and even their arguments would necessarily be somewhat spurious

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
when are we getting visual studio for linux

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
it's called emacs

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

jony ive aces posted: