Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

embrace extend extinguish snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

I'm glad that Microsoft keeps wanting to make it easier for me to never need Windows again.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i was to some extent trolling (mixed with a real annoyance that the linux commandline has made almost no progress in 20ish years and an opinion that powershell has a lot of excellent ideas), but this is actually a p. interesting point

port some actually relevant microsoft server products onto linux (sql server already there and a very competitive product) , tie the admin of them to powershell, toss in some baseline effort in making remaining linux admin powershell-enabled, and likely get a very real technology foothold

wouldn't really be a bad thing for anyone except some foss diehards either, and even their arguments would necessarily be somewhat spurious

wait, didn't MS make a bunch of SQL Server and IIS admin tasks only accessible through powers hell recently?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

also i've used .net and powershell some and its handling of exit codes for common uses is horribly hilariously broken and you have to do imperfect workarounds

also .net's standard api for redirecting of the standard output and error streams when creating a new shell process has a built in race condition where sometimes you'll lose some of the beginning stream output b/c your binding came in a little later

exit codes are deprecated signals and output streams are for logging so who cares what order they're in.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

or you can just use ls

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Tankakern posted:

visual studio code has been out for linux a while already

that's not visual studio tho. its just a text editor and a bad one at that.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
bash is bad but lol at using powershell on linux

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
people who need bash will find that bash is the sort of thing they need

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
personally im looking forward to linux kernel 10

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i really don't get all the bash hate, like it's the shells fault if you inherit crap admin scripts written by a idiot. in the linux distro dev world all kinds of coll things are implemented as bash scripts

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
let me remind you of shellshock

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it got fixed, now what

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

i really don't get all the bash hate, like it's the shells fault if you inherit crap admin scripts written by a idiot. in the linux distro dev world all kinds of coll things are implemented as bash scripts

its a bad language created in the 70s when people thought string parsing was the way to go.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the unix philosophy was stupid as gently caress and bash drags it around forever.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
text is great, it's auditable and semi-self-documenting as compared to binary line noise

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I'm not qualified to say whether it's better or worse but Powershell def makes way more sense to me in general

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
on a relatd note, as of 2008 the Windows kernel was built with a combination of cmd scripts and nmake

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Gazpacho posted:

text is great, it's auditable and semi-self-documenting as compared to binary line noise

untyped text is random binary noise. you make assumptions about what it will be with no guarantee. powershell provides typed input and output to make verification possible.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
doesn't that just obligate people to undermine the type constraints so that their scripts will be reusable

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they cant undermine the type constraints and idk why they would. also types make poo poo easier to reuse since its more clearly defined.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
bash is real good

an old coworker of mine wrote a basic, working webserver in bash

i've automated a fuckton of stuff that bores me or is a hassle in bash

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

you seem like a super smart guy! :cool:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
bash should be used to start processes and pipe their output to other things and nothing else

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no it shouldn't. its very bad at all of that.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

bash should be used to start processes and pipe their output to other things and nothing else
you say that as if it's a limitation

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

bash and the pipe concept are both fundamentally flawed, the first has the idea that everything is a string while simultaneously imposing syntactic meaning on all strings, the second passes information as a raw stream of bytes while not reserving anything which can be used to generally structure the information

i mean, it was brilliantly elegant when first conceived, and still sort of impressive to us lowly home computer nerds when it became available to us in the 90s, but it really is resting on such godawful design decisions that it should have been replaced in the intervening years. powershell notably deals with both matters in a way which fits with the way most modern software works, so it really is closer to what the future really ought to look like

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

to illustrate my idiot neckbearded nerd tendencies: if nothing else tcl should have wiped out all that bash poo poo. it perfected the (still rather flawed) string-as-the-one-datatype idea, with some workable structure, a simple core, and was structured in such a way that slightly less nerdy people could very easily write a batch script

it is more a comment on how horrendous things have been than the superiority of tcl that it on top of that had the best gui toolkit available on unix for like 15 years running

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
look if you really need some kind of complex structure you can make bash scripts that parse & generate json

something else that would be useful: a pair of tools that parses XML into xpath/value pairs for stream manipulation and then recomposes it

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Aug 20, 2016

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Gazpacho posted:

look if you really need some kind of complex structure you can make bash scripts that parse & generate json

something else that would be useful: a pair of tools that parses XML into xpath/value pairs for stream manipulation and then recomposes it

xmlstarlet is pretty much that for xml and xslt.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

powershell isn't half bad but I'd much rather write my scripts in python on all platforms

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
no wait, how about a tool that takes an XML file and spits it out into a corresponding directory structure. and vice versa

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
bash is a job control language, it's for writing dumb scripts that automate simple stuff. if you need to write complex things there are plenty of better languages available on your unix system. turning the shell into a strict programming environment doesn't help anyone, it's just another language on your system and gets in the way of simple stuff being simple

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gazpacho posted:

Powershell can natively parse json

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

bash is a job control language, it's for writing dumb scripts that automate simple stuff. if you need to write complex things there are plenty of better languages available on your unix system. turning the shell into a strict programming environment doesn't help anyone, it's just another language on your system and gets in the way of simple stuff being simple

it is a trash job control language ill suited for writing dumb scripts for even simple stuff

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

they cant undermine the type constraints

Captain Foo posted:

Powershell can natively parse json

lol

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL lemme just rewrite all my tools in some .NET language just so that I can pass things in & out of them in PowerShell :rolleyes:

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 21, 2016

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
remember when all languages were going to be .NET languages?

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

computer molester posted:

an old coworker of mine wrote a basic, working webserver in bash
why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car