Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

HP-UX defaults to the POSIX shell and doesn't even bundle bash and it made me want to kill myself while janitoring them

At least it brought me great satisfaction each time I was able to throw one of those old junk heaps in the dumpster where they belong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

long live ksh93

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

error1 posted:

HP-UX defaults to the POSIX shell and doesn't even bundle bash and it made me want to kill myself while janitoring them

At least it brought me great satisfaction each time I was able to throw one of those old junk heaps in the dumpster where they belong
i made an openbsd box once and it had some non-bash shell but i just gave it enough dotfiles until i didn't notice or care anymore

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

error1 posted:

zos unix system services ships bash but starts sh by default instead

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
powershell was okay to use in windows while there was no bash on it, and its still okay to use it to configure windows things as you can't do that from the bash one. but other than that it always seemed pretty bad

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
it seems crazy to me that microsoft decided they'd just port a whole linux subsystem again, instead of porting tools like grep or sed to powershell like people have been asking for

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
why did they remove the unix subsystem in first place

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Celexi posted:

probably partly lack of interest, probably most likely they wanted to remove all the complicated stuff from windows 7 so they could make windows 8 tablet-friendly. so no sua, no windows xp mode or virtual pc, no desktop widgets, no transparency, no solitaire, no start menu

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
if bash was bad, why would amazon run 90% of AWS on pure bash scripts and cron jobs huh?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

if bash was bad, why would amazon run 90% of AWS on pure bash scripts and cron jobs huh?
source? wanna read about this

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Celexi posted:

ballmer

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i suspect that statement is supposed to be misleading but I'm curious about it too

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
was the old subsystem poo poo and not totally baller like the Linux one?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i never used it but it was created back when microsoft wanted to keep a unix on the desktop option ready just in case the market went that way. it certainly wasn't designed to embrace open sores

that didn't fit with ballmer's strategy (partly guided by the antitrust fiasco) of walling off microsoft's products from everything that wasn't microsoft

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i suspect that statement is supposed to be misleading but I'm curious about it too
as of 2009 amazon was still moving cron jobs in their warehouse operations to another batch system (and also moving ad hoc web sites into central portals). but i always assumed that saner heads prevailed in AWS. probably not though since every department is managed on the same principle of "drat the design, get it done yesterday"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

anthonypants posted:

it seems crazy to me that microsoft decided they'd just port a whole linux subsystem again, instead of porting tools like grep or sed to powershell like people have been asking for

Well I mean, Powershell can do the stuff that grep and sed do, and you can define your own aliases in it.

EDIT: I guess that's more true for grep than sed...

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 30, 2016

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

anthonypants posted:

those aren't the good, cool, or interesting parts that were missing that people wanted. the awesome part of linux on windows is sprawling complex linux-only tools that were unlikely to get cleanly ported to windows and definitely would be condemned to horrible binaries if they were released at all. for example, the entire risc-v toolchain. want it on windows? gently caress you. want it on linux? it just works on linux-on-windows.

who seriously gives a poo poo about grep or sed? do you really think that those kinds of tools were the motivation for linux on windows?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bloody posted:

those aren't the good, cool, or interesting parts that were missing that people wanted. the awesome part of linux on windows is sprawling complex linux-only tools that were unlikely to get cleanly ported to windows and definitely would be condemned to horrible binaries if they were released at all. for example, the entire risc-v toolchain. want it on windows? gently caress you. want it on linux? it just works on linux-on-windows.

who seriously gives a poo poo about grep or sed? do you really think that those kinds of tools were the motivation for linux on windows?
no, i don't

ime a lot of people who dismiss powershell out of hand point to string manipulation tools like grep or sed or awk, which completely misses the point of powershell

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya linux users are weird and sometimes dumb i dont really get it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
more like poo-ershell, amiright?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

more like poo-ershell, amiright?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

pow-pow-powerwheelsshell

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

/
p-p-p-powershell
p-p-powershell
maw maw maw maw

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

source? wanna read about this

there's a distributed job service which teams make use of for backups, workflow scheduling, reconciliation, etc. but bash use is limited to mostly service startup/tear down scripts and ops scripts if for some reason you didn't want to use a better language.

im sorry you worked in FC systems gaz.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

the motivation for original the Windows POSIX subsystem was that government IT purchasing contracts were expected to start coming with a POSIX compatibility requirement, as a form of "software portability guarantee," so they felt they had to have one to stay in the game

I've read some grant proposals from that era that do specifically talk about how the software developed by a research team will be developed with POSIX APIs where possible so it's portable per requirement such and such of this or that funding rule or sponsorship agreement

(also Richard Stallman came up with the name POSIX, or at least takes credit for it)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Unix systems (and fanfic like Linux) already had a good shell

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

eschaton posted:

(also Richard Stallman came up with the name YOSPOS, or at least takes credit for it)

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

eschaton posted:

the motivation for original the Windows POSIX subsystem was that government IT purchasing contracts were expected to start coming with a POSIX compatibility requirement, as a form of "software portability guarantee," so they felt they had to have one to stay in the game

I've read some grant proposals from that era that do specifically talk about how the software developed by a research team will be developed with POSIX APIs where possible so it's portable per requirement such and such of this or that funding rule or sponsorship agreement

(also Richard Stallman came up with the name POSIX, or at least takes credit for it)

so you are saying the gov POSIX'ed windows neg rear end?

got it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
posix is total trash

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

posix is total trash
it's OK for software that runs a business or shoots down planes, not so good for "electronic lifestyle" apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
IT devs in a resistance cell: "what has posix ever done for us???"

• Locked thread