Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Courtney D'Arvent - Unknown Beach

Irina's sudden rant is a little stunning, but also informative. "Alright, alright, cool your heels, birdie!" Courtney answers, raising their hands; it looks kind of comical with the cigarette still in their mouth. "Yeah, I guess he's definitely got the right of it now. Although by my countin' it's a little closer to a hundred and fifty years. Pennsylvania change calendars recently, Jeff?" They shrug and chuckle towards him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Unknown Beach

"Irina." She says pointedly, "Penn-sil-vania? Oh I know this, yes." She paces for a moment, "YA znayu, chto eto odno." She mutters under her breath as she tries to remember her history class. "It is with the one that likes the sex." She thinks for a moment, "Ben Franklin. Yes, yes. Now it is indian land, after the Second French and Indian war. It was abandoned hundreds of years ago." She said very satisfied with her answer.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Jeff

"Don't think so, what year was it before you got here?" He asks Courtney. He had a feeling he knew the answer. To Irina he simply shrugs. "Well, it's sure as hell not abandoned where I'm from, or else I wouldn't be here." Chuckling, Jeff adds, "Think ol' Ben would like that title, though."

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

Naomi Aoshima – The Beach at the End of the World

Naomi listened, mostly, as the other beach exiles talked and argued, and felt a surge of cold familiarity as the wreckage drifted in – there was the bumper from a ’96 Liberty with a few bullet holes and rusty old Humbert Inc. plates, mixed in with floating garbage that made no sense as part of a whole context. Not that the people made much sense as part of a shared context, either. She wasn’t up on international affairs, but the Russian Democratic Dominate? Arguing over the names of places, asking each other what year it was? That uniformed woman so insistent that people had been flying since 1964?

Naomi chuckled and shook her head. How long had it been since she's been so unmoored in an unfamiliar place, looking for Chukyo or Tamakikyo in a world that had never seen them?

"You're all right, you know," she said as she picked through the wreckage. "I'm afraid I've got some bad news, ladles and forks. We're from different worlds."

Per-13, so Scrounging-9, to look for anything interesting in the wreckage.

GTD Aquitaine fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 20, 2016

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff - Probably Not Ipanema

"Yeah, see, she gets it. I-" Jeff pauses, and gives Naomi the side-eye. He holds up a finger and hesitates.

"...you sound a lot more confident in it. You got a clue to throw us?" That wry smile creeps back up. "Because we could really use one. Or at least I could."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Unknown Beach

"Different Worlds? Then how did we travel to this one?" She points up at the moon in the daytime sky, "No one has even been to Luna! How could my plane fly to another world!" She said thoroughly confused. The science fiction of Russia was a premier of its day and even that speculated only what could exist on their nearest body, much less a whole new world. She considered something, and then asked. "Are they all from the Vulcan?"

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

"Not different worlds like that, just different Earths," Naomi said with wry detachment. "Earths where history took different turns, like the Japanese Empire not conquering your asses. I know because this is not my first trip through to the unexpected. If you're looking for proof, I can't offer you much more than a fistful of Wyatt Petrobucks, but if you think nothing at all strange is happening here, I'm set to disabuse you of that notion powerfully fast."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

"Birdie, I already told ya I buy it," Courtney answers Naomi. "I think a flipping hurricane or Banestorm or whatever that con called it picking me up and putting me down here with you lot is more convincing than any funny money ya have on ya." He takes another moment to look around. "For cryin' out loud, if that pill were here now he'd probably be able to sing a whole symphony on this. I know he knew a lot more than he was letting on about this kind of thing in the Q&A..."

PER-14, is anybody around?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Hector the Weasel - Unknown Beach

Hector passes an hand through his hair. Different worlds, different Earths, an empire that wasn't the Roman one... this is all very confusing, and that is without taking into consideration the lady who might be a ghost or a powerful wizard.
"Uhm, well. Since we are introducing ourselves... I'm Hector. Just Hector, I don't have a surname, although people sometimes call me the Weasel." He laughs a nervous laugh. "Well, it's clear that this situation is as weird for you folks as much as it is for me. Which is kind of a shame, it would have been nice to see someone who knows about..." He makes a vague gesture that is meant to embrace the island, the coast and the debris. "... all of this."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles - LOST

He chuckles at Irina. "Free me from a King? My lady, my birthplace and accent may be English, but I serve no King but the Emperor Henry VI of the Holy Roman Empire." It's what she says earlier that makes him think. "Flying since 1964..?" He says the words slowly, processing them in his mind. He turns his back from the group and looks out to the ocean. Different times... Had the New Men come to the Empire the same way he had come to be here?

He stays lost in thought until the lady he pulled from the water is able to answer a few questions at least. "Different Earths?" He turns back to the others. "That... Does explain it somewhat. We are clearly from times and lands very different to each other." He gives Naomi and look of slow understanding. Most of her words make no sense, but he is starting to make some sense of this. "This 'Banestorm' is the reason we are here, we were all caught in it? It's magic pulled us from our lands where our histories and times differ and deposited us here..." He breathes deep and lets out a long sigh. "If that is indeed the case, then it is a lot to think on..."

The knight looks about the beach and nods his head as he makes a decision. "I intend to do something productive whilst I make sense of all this. Perhaps search inland for a local who may be able to say where we are..." The wreckage along the beach is truly odd indeed, perhaps it would be worth searching through it first. "Can any of you make sense of this strange debris?"

Per - 13 to look for anything of interest in the wreckage.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure
An Island in Need of a Tiki Bar

Azure takes the cigarette from Jeff with a polite nod that flows into a long drag, then leaving it to smoulder in her fingers. They'd said she needed to cut back, she'd told herself that she'd reserve the vice for only the most stressful situations. This counts.

~~We were flying back from Sydney,~~ Azure explains, ~~And had begun our descent into New York. The storm came on all of a sudden...~~ Azure's mind flashes back to the confusion. A faint sigh.

Courtney's question elicits a snap of Azure's head, a furrowed brow right at him.

~~Privately~~ she responds, her mental voice taking on a flat, uncompromising tenor.

Azure lets the others discuss and theorize, keeping an ear out for it as she meanders down the beach, through the pieces of wreckage. A pause and she crouches down, picking up a glass that somehow miraculously survived. A tumbler with gently curved sides. Azure brushes sand off it, immediately bringing visions of it in her hand, in Guenivere's hand....

...perhaps?

Azure walks further from the others, just out of earshot to avoid distraction. Her eyes flutter closed as her mind opens and she tries to listen for anybody else alive.

Going to try the Omniscan - 6 technique to try to locate other people on the island. Probably won't work, I know, but worth a shot.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Unknown Beach

"Other Earths." Irina said looking blank at everyone else, "But but Yapan has been a Russian state for a hundred years!" She rubs her forehead and mutters, "I need some drink." Flexing her fingers she gets up and looks at everyone solidly, before decidedly. "Oh so, you are from New England Colonies too." She says at Azure the telepath, "Going to St. Louis Isle?" Irina seemed very confused, the idea of multiple worlds themselves was pretty mind-blowing.

"It is 2007 here- Where I am from." She said the idea of relative time really making her brow furrow. "And most of this is a planes and maybe a boat." She wasn't sure on some of it, but she could tell her lovely plane had been there. "My Vorobey" A tear in her eye as she picked up a dial from it on the sands. "I bought her from a racer from the aeroraces. Modified her to become the best at what we did." She said looking down and then set the dial down.

"We can't do nothing here, other earth or not. I don't have any food provisions... does anyone else? I expected to be in the forests of the Colonies full of deer and game."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles - Not In Gaum

"Planes and boats." He repeats after Irina, surveying the wreckage on the beach. "And these planes fly you through the sky. Some sort of magic keeping them aloft?" He shakes his head slightly at her mention of food. "What provisions I can share, that are not destroyed by the sea water, will not last us more than a day. We would be wise to find food and water, perhaps even set a camp."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Sunburn Isle

"The same that let the birds stay up. Science is the new truth in the world, no god, no emperor. It took years to perfect, but we are getting better. One day everyone will fly instead of use automobiles!" She said excitedly, always the proponent for planes. "We should make camp, my bag I had was only to survive should I have to escape the plane." She said looking at the wilderness. "We might be able to use a wing for a shelter, the sun will be very hard."

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

"I dunno what a Petrobuck is," Jeff says to Naomi with a shrug, "but I think I catch what you're sayin'. I guess it makes sense for why things would be different, as far as any of this actually does, which isn't much." He drags the last out of his cigarette, and resists lighting another for all of ten seconds. "gently caress, I was not ready for this kind of thing. I was hoping to be back in the studio in a week..."

He nods at Hector. "Oh, good, you come with your own nickname. Saves me some time. Welcome aboard the Magical Mystery Tour. Although I don't see Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, Starr or Lynne anywhere." Jeff grins, then looks at Courtney. "Maybe your little runaway got dropped somewhere else down here, who knows?"

"Anywho." He looks over at Irina and Miles, nodding. "I was gonna be out in the woods a couple days, but I didn't bring much. Enough for me, not enough for the Magnificent Seven." He starts off to where he dropped his gear, and is then soon picking at his pack, making sure that nothing got too waterlogged, which he's pleased to discover is in fact the case. "Which means we gotta all mount up and start looking around pretty soon." With a look down the beach at Azure, he adds, not so much at her as simply acknowledging, "Best we probably don't wander off all on our own otherwise." She was probably doing some funky Professor X stuff, anyway.

Satisfied with the backpack, he nervously opens up the gig bag. "poo poo. I knew the waterproof bag was worth the extra cash," he says, mostly to himself, smiling, running his thumb over the strings of his Takamine acoustic. Still in tune. He closes it up, and pulls out a harmonica from one of the side pockets, inspects it, plays a few notes. Then, he launches into a familiar riff for a moment before he puts it away. "Man, opening for Billy and then coming back out with his band for the back half of the set, that was good times," Jeff eventually says, wistful. "Guess that don't matter much now."

"What's next?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Sunburn Isle

She looks at the guitarist and thinks for a moment, her mouth purses like she is going to say something but decides against it for a moment. "We need to find water, and food, but mostly water. So once we find fresh water lets build the camp there." She said hoisting her pack, "I am looking for anything else we can use, but I don't have much hope."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He gives Jeff a warm smile, the first he feels he has given in some time. He always did enjoy a good tune. "A musician? Those are strange instruments you carry, but their sound is soothing. Perhaps you might play us a tune later and help us forget our predicament, if only for a short time."

Irina gets a nod. "I agree. Perhaps we look amongst this wreckage for anything useful and then we find water. I think it best we stay together, also. The Lord only knows what unexpected dangers could lurk nearby."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"La, la la, de-de da-ahh, la-la, de-de dah, dah-dum," Courtney unconsciously hums along with the guitar as they search for something sticking out further inland. "Sing us a song, you're the piano man/sing us a song--" They suddenly clap one hand over their mouth. "Uh, Jeff, what were you playing just now?"

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

He stares at Courtney. "...that's ain't possible, Billy Joel didn't even write that until..." Jeff stops and thinks, doing math. "You said 150...I said 210...until about 45 years after you said it was."

He pulls the harmonica out from his gig bag and plays the sequence a second time, slower, the reed inside buzzing warmly, bringing a little life to the beach. "You're telling me you know this one. I mean, I know we're dealing with different Earths and all here, but that's..." He rubs at his temple, shakes his head. "Man, I just don't know what to make of that."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"I believe ya," Courtney nods, "and damned if I can't tell you what I was singin' right now, but the moment you started playing I could hear the rest of it in my head." As Jeff breaks out the harmonica they instinctively fall into the rhythm and sing along. "'Sing us a song, you're the piano man/sing us a song tonight/Well, we're all in the mood for a melody/and you've got us feeling alright!'" The moment the bridge is over they exhale heavily. "Not exactly Tin Pan Alley, but it sounds good! I'm going to blame the magic hurricane--it got me into this mess, it could probably stick that little ditty in my head somewhere."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Unknown beach sans Tiki Bar

Irina looks around at the debris on the shore and in the shallow waters, but she finds nothing of use. Naomi manages to have better luck a short ways off in the water is a plastic container of some sort floating in the water. It might be luggage of some sort. Naomi also notices that the only man made debris around seems to be brought with the group here from their worlds. As far as she can tell none of the man made debris is native to this world. Courtney meanwhile looks around trying to find evidence of other people. All that they find is a small trail leading into the jungle. Probably a game trail used by animals, but there's no telling what kind of animals. Miles looks around at the debris scattered on the shore and in the water, most of its foreign to him. The scene resembles the aftermath of a very bad storm. Azure scans the area, but fails to find any human minds other than the ones next to her.

What has been found is on or near the shore. The luggage Naomi spots is bobbing up and down in the shallows. If there is anything else of interest in the water, it is far enough away to require swimming checks.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

"Petrobucks're mostly just worthless scrap even in the world they're printed in," Naomi said, picking through the wreckage. It was easier to focus on that, for now - much preferable to thinking about that woman who sounded like she was talking inside their brains. "My name is Naomi Aoshima, of nowhere in particular, and I may have found something indeed interesting."

Naomi will wade out to retrieve the floating container.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

Nothing.

To be expected. An area scan, looking for people she doesn't know, was always one of the hardest mental techniques, and not one she'd trained particularly hard on. The woman takes a few more drags to finish her cigarette, then stubs it out in the sand and heads back to rejoin the group, just in time to see Naomi go out wading. Something interesting?

Without explanation, Azure wades into the water to help Naomi wrangle the crate.

Helping Naomi

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

"You know, considering it all, that ain't the worst theory. If it can jumble us all here, maybe it can do something to our heads too." Gathering up the lightweight pack and the guitar bag, he shuffles back towards the waterline where Naomi and Azure are working on bringing the luggage to shore. "Whatcha got there?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Sunburn Isle

While both were out in the water getting the container, Irina was starting to pack up her things and use her leather jacket as kind of a sling for her other equipment. After getting ready, she walked over to the shore with Jeff and looked at Naomi and Azure. "I didn't see anything useful on the shore that could help us, but after we get this we should head into the jungle and start marking a trail." She said in a no nonsense way. She never seemed content to not be working on something, or planning how to work.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Looks like some beastie has the same idea as you, Irina," Courtney nods as they point out the game trail. "I dunno, I'm a city fella. Hey, Jeff, what's the word over there?" They head on down to the shore, getting their shoes wet again. Why oh why couldn't they have dressed for rain this morning?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector the Weasel - Unknown Beach

Hector' eyes light up as he hears the scary lady (Irina, was it?) take command.
"Oh! I can help with that! I travelled through the woods a lot, to find herbs and to deliver poultices and such. I should be able to find us some water and..." he looks at the forest, suddenly doubtful. "Well, I don't know if I'm going to be familiar with the plants around here, but if they are anything like the ones that grow back in Kielder, I can tell which are good to eat." He rubs his chin, thoughtful.

"It wouldn't hurt to check if there are any good herbs, and where they grow, while we're at it." he mumbles.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He looks over the wreckage but finds he cannot make head or tails or it. Strange debris from a time and place he cannot comprehend. Before they make their way inland, it seems one last piece of interest has been found back in the ocean. He takes place beside Jeff, his feet just short of the incoming water as he takes this chance to enjoy the peacefulness of the waves despite the circumstances. "And what might they have there?"

Hector gets a clap on the shoulder. "Good man. Your skills will be a boon to us, I am sure. Let us see what the ladies have found and then we will make a move."

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Sunburn Isle

"Thank you Courtney, good eye. We should be able to follow it." She said with a satisfactory praise, and a smile even lights up on her face, adding to her rather rosy complexion in the harsh sun. "Hector that is a great idea. You will be our master plant citizen, and I think very valuable in that role!" Once again the coming together of skills in almost a natural democratic method seemed to be like everything was going well, even one with such flawed concept such as god was able to see how natural and indeed necessary it was. Irina's disposition increased tenfold and she looked at the others. "We both can try to find our way in the jungle, I have some training, but Hector the Plant Master, seems to know much better than I. Citizen Miles, do you think that he should lead? He has the most experience."

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

Strange as it is to see the icy Irina smile, he returns it all the same with a small one of his own. "Hector can indeed take the lead, should he wish." As the ladies take their time bringing whatever they have found out of the ocean, he turns back to regard the area inland. "But dangers could be lurking further in. Wild animals or worse..." The lady Irina may be a captain of her world, but the others do not outwardly appear to be fighters. "Are you all capable of defending yourselves if needed?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Beach

"I have been trained, and would be glad to be in second position to support." She said looking at Hector.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

"Probably good to know what's gonna kill us if we're dumb enough to eat it," says Jeff, agreeing in his smartass way. He knows a thing or two himself, but it did sound like Hector was a bit more than a hobbyist at it. That was good. "Worry about marching orders once we finish combing the beach here though," he adds, gesturing to where Naomi and Azure have the suitcase.

As to the other question, he looks at Miles, cocks his head, and starts to grin. "Be prepared, and all that Boy Scouts stuff," Jeff says, opening his jacket to reveal a padded holster on the inside, carrying a quite substantial revolver, and not thinking too hard about the fact that for all he knows Miles might not have seen one before.

"You know, in case I run into a bear, or something," he adds, with more than a little sarcasm.

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

He glances down as Jeff reveals a small firearm sheathed between his upper clothing. "I see. These 'Boy Scouts' have trained you to use firearms. It may surprise you to know that I am no stranger these weapons either. Although, perhaps that story is best saved for later when our survival is a little more assured." The firearm he himself had captured months back from the New Men still rests within his bag, possibly worse for wear after his unfortunate swim...

He smirks at the mention of bears. "I hope something like that is the worst this place might have waiting for us. For all we know there could be monsters within that tear down trees and are as illusive as smoke..."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Beach

As Naomi and Azure bring the box ashore, Azure recognizes it as something from her world. The box contained bags of salty snacks for airplane passengers. Apparently the box was buoyant, so it didn't sink to the bottom with the rest of the plane.

The plastic chest contains forty packets of some kind of salty snack served on planes in Azure's world (I'll let PS describe them). Without the plastic container, they can be easily carried by the group with no affect on encumbrance.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Showing off our gats now, eh?" Courtney observes as they reach for their own piece. Then they stop and look a little funny. "Wait, why would you be carrying a revolver on a camping trip? Expecting to get struck by white lightning?" They shrug it off with a mutter of "not like I could hold ya anyway" and turn their attention to the contents of the box. "Uh...what are these and why would they be packed like this?"

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 22, 2016

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Jeff

"Well, you'll have to tell that story," he says to Miles. "I got some of my own for when it's time."

He looks down, and smiles, before addressing Courtney. "I told you. For bears." He laughs, then says, "Or sometimes you just get used to carrying something when you also get used to being at least a quarter famous and the bad parts that come with. Or when you end up in weird parts of weird towns." Of course there's more to it than that, but it's a bit early to say too much. Jeff feels very sure of that. They need to know he can do more than play - but the rest can wait.

"So, what've we got?" He cranes his neck to look at the box.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Hector
Hector smiles a bit at the praise, but as the focus of the group shifts toward the secured box he joins them in taking a look. He blinks when he sees the contents.

"Does anyone know what these are?" he gestures as if to grab one, but then seems to think better of it. "Wait, are they safe to touch? What if they are toxic?"

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Miles

"I am certain we will all have a great deal of interesting stories to tell around the fire," he replies to Jeff. Gathering around the container with the others, he looks inside at the packaged items. He shrugs at Hector and Courtney, thankful that at least two other people here have no idea what they are looking at. "Are they edible?"

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Azure

Naomi and Azure haul the crate out of the water, trudging up the sand and and dumping it. She undoes the clips and tosses the lid off.

Given the weight, Azure wasn't sure what she expected to find. Towels would be nice. Bathrobes. Flares? Azure reaches in and her hand comes up with several little silver foil packets.

The label reads "Premium Mixed Nuts".

Azure frowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Irina- Beach

"Boy's always comparing your pistols." She says with a smirk at them. Finally pulling her AK-64 from her bag and cocking the assault rifle, loading a round into chamber as she slung it under her shoulder. Looking at the others with a blank expression she said simply, "You know, for bears."

The box was like a future treasure chest, and when it opened she picked up a foil package, "Nuts. We should ration them out until we have a secure source of food." She said blandly, it had to be said, though. There was only one solution, to either stretch the supplies or find a new source of food. "We should divide it evenly, so that none are neglected, and all have strength."

• Locked thread