Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sasha - The Jungle Path

"That... was not a turkey. I suppose it should keep us fed, though, if we can carry it back to camp."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - The Jungle Trail

Swampdog shook his head at Sasha, "Naw, it's a crawler. I dunno about this one but a lot of em' got poison. Hear they taste like poo poo too."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sasha - Jungle Path

"Taste and nutrition aren't always the same. As for poison, I should be able to tell with a more thorough examination, back at camp." She looks for a safe place to grab the carcass away from any barbs as she starts to lift. "If you gentlemen would be so kind as to help me."

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Abner - Jungle trail

Abners looks at the massive centipede in disgust. "I was never one to eat bugs, but if you insist." He looks at the tracks again, and frowns. "Whatever made that is still around though. We should be on our guard".

Per 14 to keep an eye out for dinosaurs

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
Jungle

Sasha goes to work. She first cuts off the legs and barbs off of the thing. After which, she prepares the body for transport. The body itself is split up between the three of them to make transportation easier.

They then head back to the camp where they see Ignatius working on setting up a camp.

Got something to eat and heading back to camp.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 25, 2016

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Ignatius - Nusquam Castra (Camp Nowhere)

Alerted by the sound of dry twigs snapping, Ignatius is standing and armed with shield and spear when Sasha, Abner and Swampdog walk into view. His armor sits on the ground in a pile near the coals of a small fire.

"So, you return with foo... what kind of beast is that?" the former legionary asks in awe as the insectile body bits come into view.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Camp Nowhere

Swampdog smirked at the Roman, "What do ya think it is? It's a big ol' centipede!" Oh, right. Not everyone else lived in a world with giant bugs, "Uh, this is prolly bigger than you're used to, huh?" Swampdog helped Sasha and Abner set it down in a place where it could be easily examined. He was thankful that he had a cooler full of food that the normies didn't seem to have any interest in. He once talked with a survivalist from down south who claimed to be able to eat even the most toxic of things and he compared the taste of crawlers to clams that had been left outside all day.

Still, better than finding nothing. And it WAS pretty fun to shoot.

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Jake Wolff -- The Beach

Walking up to the edge of the water, Jake bends down and sticks his hand in to check the temperature. Jake turns to his Czech companion. "We've got water. Bit of a hike, though." He then looks skyward, and at his watch. "Speaking of which, we should head back. We can get to the beach in an hour. Don't want to be in the forest come dark--especially without knowing what made that track."

Does Jake's watch work? What time does it say now? What temperature is the water?

Relevant skills: Naturalist (earthlike) 12, Navigation (land) 12.
FP: 11/13

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sasha - Campsite

Thank Jesus he's wearing pants.

"I know it may not look like much, but I've no signs that it is poisonous and we'll be glad to have the protein soon enough. If one of you could lend me a blade, we'll see if this is any more appetizing cooked."

Cooking 13, let's make some roasted bug-steak

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

"We will be glad to have... protein? Is this another word for food, or meat" Ignatius asks as he grabs his iron knife out of his armor pile and hands it over to Sasha.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Swamp

Jake checks his watch. The watch appears to be working normally and it's a few minutes past six. The water feels tepid, the temperature is between 60 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit. As long as there's some light, Jake knows he can use the flow of the water to find his way to the beach.

Camp Nowhere

Ignatius finishes up his rudimentary camp security measures as the bug hunters make it back to Camp Nowhere.

Sasha cuts into the underside of the anthropod's body. She looks for any poison glands or venom sacs, but doesn't find any. It seems that this giant millipede is unlike its smaller brethren in regards to being poisonous. That also gives her hope that the meat of the bug is edible as well. The meat of the bug resembles something like what would have come out of a clam or an oyster. Its rubbery and dull grey in color. It doesn't have much of a smell though.

Sasha puts the meat on sticks and places the meat over the fire. The meat begins to cook. After a while as the meat cooks, there's the unmistakable smell of shellfish being cooked.

Cooking is a success

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
Abner - Camp Nowhere

Abner admires the newly built camp, and claps Ignatius on the shoulder. "Good work. if you need a hand with anything, I'll be glad to help. And once it gets dark we should put set a watch". He wrinkles his nose as the centipede is cooked. "Next I suppose we'll be eating lobster. I suppose beggars can't be choosers".

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sasha - Camp Bugmeat

"Right, protein, it's, well, the basic... you know, yes, it's meat, or nuts, sometimes beans. It's not important, just know that we need it if we're going to stay healthy. And by the smell of it, it's a drat sight tastier than some of the meals I had during the war."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Camp Nowhere

"Shiiiit, Abner, I'd kill for lobster, but it'd prolly kill me first.", Swampdog said as he drew the jug of water from his cooler, "We didn't find any water, but this should be clean enough. 606ers are real picky about this sorta thing." As Sasha cooked the giant millipede, Swampdog's wariness of it faded. He wasn't sure if it was because Sasha was a good cook or because this particular crawler was the one exception to the 'tastes like poo poo' rule, but gently caress it smelled good.

He took the baggie of weed out of his coat and began breaking up a nug with his fingers. Stuck on another world (apparently) with a bunch of normies because of clavo poo poo. About to eat a giant centipede. It was as good a time as any. As he began rolling a blunt, he drawled, "Hey, ya'll smoke?"

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Vojtech Listka - Swamp

Getting dropped in unfamiliar turf sucked. Getting dropped in unfamiliar turf with something that left Jurassic Park lookin' tracks sucked even more. At least there was water though.

"Yes, let us head back. We shall have seafood dinner yeah? Hope you're allergic to shellfish, my friend. And take this," he says, handing over the Skorpion, holster, and spare magazine, "use it well. Forty rounds, armour piercing hard-core. Not great against things that don't have body armour, but a bullet is a bullet."

With that he turns back towards camp, after double checking that his rifle is loaded and ready to go.

Making sure there's a round in the chamber, but with the safety on.

Navigation (land) 10
Perception 13

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Beach

The two men follow the trickle of water down to the beach. They find the beach with no problem. As they get to the beach, the sun has set leaving the two men in darkness. With the sound of the waves lapping up to the shore and the knowledge that the jungle is to their right, they make their way down the shore line.

As they walk along, the normal sounds of the jungle go quiet. The two men peer into the darkness trying to find something out of the ordinary that would explain the unexpected silence. They find nothing.

Perception checks failed to find anything.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sasha - Campfire

The sun sets as Sasha eats her meal of fire-roasted insect, which tastes better than she expected something like that to taste. But then it gets completely dark save for the light of the fire, and they are still missing two people.

"Did anyone hear Mr. Jake or Mr. Liska say where they were going? I can't imagine they meant to leave us entirely." Well, Vojtech anyway. Who could tell what the man from Secundus was up to.

She retrieves a compact LED flashlight from her emergency bag and climbs up to the lookout station where she shines it back and forth. The light is too small to illuminate much of the beach in this darkness, but if the others are you there it should be visible enough to guide them back to the camp.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Vojtech Listka - Beach

The silence was unexpected. And bad. Very bad. Nature was not generally a quiet thing unless there was a good reason to be quiet. Vojtech takes his hand off the foregrip of his rifle, and fishes around in his pockets for a few seconds, before pulling out his lighter. He looks towards where he's sure Jake is, and holds out the lighter.

"There is a lighter in my hand. Grab it, and light it, and keep it lit. I feel we may have some company. Hopefully not a 'clever girl'."

Really wishing I still had that fancy night optic I originally built Liska with.

Navigation (land) 10
Perception 13
Guns (Rifles) 15

Night Vision 2, Danger Sense, Combat Reflexes

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Jake Wolff -- The Beach

Jake looks down at the gun Vojtech had just placed in his hand. "Holy Christ," Jake muttered to himself. Things had just gotten a lot more real. He looks up and realizes Vojtech has already started moving. He quickly follows.

As they reached the beach, and silence descended on them, the hair on Jake's neck stood up. It was almost never truly silent in nature--not even in the deepest backcountry in the dead of winter. He doesn't take Liska's lighter, when offered, but chuckles at Vojtech's reference. Apparently Jurassic Park was a movie on both of their home worlds. "I'll do you one better," Jake then replies, and pulls out his smart flashlight. He flicks on the 50-yard beam and scans the area.

Looking around using the flashlight. Hoping Vojtech's perception can pick something up through the process.

Relevant skills: Naturalist (earthlike) 12, Navigation (land) 12.
FP: 11/13

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Following a dubious meal of water and gigantic bug with no seasoning (it really could use some salt, olive oil, and pepper), Ignatius nods his head at Swampdog when the strange looking cigar is offered. "Of course, what roman doesn't smoke?"

Passing the oddly bitter cigar back and forth, carefully not mentioning that it must be a bad leaf to the man who was sharing it for free, the roman ex-legionary finds himself finally relaxing, his mind fogging up. Even the strange torch that the woman made appear out of nowhere wasn't enough to startle him.

"So, you think there are pirates here? Escaped slaves maybe? I set up what I could with what little I had, but if we plan to stay anywhere I would like to actually build a palisade. Big wooden walls, a gate... Need a well too, if we stay for a while," he says vaguely into the darkness, not really caring if anyone else was paying attention to what he said. Between the tobacco and the exhaustion of the day, his mind was wandering pleasantly while he watched the campfire burn down.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Camp Nowhere

Swampdog took the blunt back from Ignatius, took two puffs from it, and passed it along. And here he was thinkin' these old timey types would all be squares. "Hey.", Swampdog croaked, holding a bunch of skunky smoke in, "Check this poo poo out." He exhaled, forming a perfect white smoke ring. After making the sound of someone trying to cough up a particularly large chunk of phlegm, he blew a a tendril of thick, oily black smoke through the dissipating smoke ring.

He took a bite of centipede and turned towards Ignatius, "poo poo, man. Your eyes are as red as the devil's dick. Did they, like, even have dope back in Roman times? Pirates would be cool, do you think they'd be like the peg leg and parrot types? We could kill em' and steal their poo poo easy."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Beach

Vojtech hears nothing and sees nothing in the darkness. Jake shines the flashlight around and it becomes obvious that if there's a threat its going to come from the jungle. He illuminates the jungle, but he doesn't see anything either. Further down the beach, they see a campfire. Possibly the camp fire of the others.

Camp Nowhere

The night comes. The moon provides little light for the group. The light makes it easy to pick out the dark shadow of the jungle and the lighter shadow of the beach. Out to sea there are no signs of lights. The campfire provides light out to about ten yards. Towards the jungle the light ends with the tree line at six yards. There are no signs of the two who went out to scout the beach.

Vojtech and Jake can see where the beach and the jungle are, but they can't spot any threats. The others were about an hour's walk down the beach.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

"Hah, that is cool!" Ignatius says as he looks at the smoke trick of the horribly scarred man. "But peg legs? Some of them maybe, but parrots are expensive, only patricians and wealthy merchants own them. They have to be brought over from beyond the sands in Africa or across the sea from the New Land, or worse, traded from one of the barbarian eastern empires. Pirates usually just have rags and a ship and a few weapons. Still, we could capture them and make them labor for us, which would make this a lot easier. And they would know where we are."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sasha - Campfire Lookout

"I'm not taking any slaves," Sasha calls from the lookout post, still scanning the beach for any signs of the missing men.

Per 14, Night Vision 2 to see Jake's flashlight or a looming T-Rex or whatever.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

"Good, because I'll need as many hands for labor as I can get!"

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Camp Nowhere

Swampdog squinted out into the darkness, seeing no trace of the two who walked up the beach. "poo poo, this ain't a good place to be wandering around at night. I guaran-loving-tee you that the crawler here ain't the biggest or worst critter around here."

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Vojtech Liska - Beach

Vojtech pockets the lighter, and readies his rifle again, and starts moving. "Lead the way. Quickly, towards the fire. I will cover the back. Let us hope that those are friendlies."

If something makes a hostile move, I'll shoot first and ask questions later.
Navigation (land) 10
Perception 13
Guns (Rifles) 15

Night Vision 2, Danger Sense, Combat Reflexes

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Camp Nowhere

Sasha looks down the beach for the two returning men. At first she sees nothing in the darkness and then there's a flash of light. As she spots the spot of light, she watches as it gets closer. It appears that if the light does belong to the two men, they are moving quickly down the beach.

Beach

There is no sign of movement in the jungle.

Jake takes the lead and begins to jog down the beach. Vojtech follows after him. Both men keep a wary eye on the jungle, lest something comes out of it.

Camp Nowhere

Sasha watches as the two missing members of the group approach the camp.

Jake and Vojtech make it back to camp safely.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Vojtech Liska - Beach

Camp. An actual camp no less. Seems someone had been working hard. But there was something more important to discuss.

"So, good news, we found oysters and may be able to locate fresh water. Bad news: We appear to have an infestation of overgrown turkeys," he says, still holding his rifle, "Or for those of you who never saw Jurassic Park, dinosaurs."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Camp Nowhere

"Hey, hey! There they are!", Swampdog cried, offering the two men a hit from the blunt. "poo poo, man, you think it's dinosaurs? I just assumed it was muties. Either way, it ain't the only thing this place has." He pointed at whatever remained of the crawler, "Eat up, it's better than it looks."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sasha - Camp

"Dinosaurs? I thought they looked like bird tracks, though I'm not familiar with variety."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Camp Nowhere

In Sasha's question, Swampdog heard a hint of confusion, uncertainty. Did she not know what dinosaurs were? His eyes lit up and he decided to explain, "Did ya'll not, like, figure out dinosaurs in eighteen-whatever? Alright, so they were this big lizards that existed loooooooong ago, prolly before there were any of us around. There were all sorts, too!" Swamp began rattling off all the dinosaurs he remembered reading about as a kid, "There were raptors, which were like this tall." He held his hand somewhere between 3 and 4 feet off the ground, "They liked to hunt in packs and they could take down stuff bigger'n them. Lesse, there were the ones with really long necks, bigger than a house, that ate like leaves and poo poo. There was one that had these cool plates going its back and tail spikes. Dumb as poo poo though. The most dangerous one was Tyrannosaurus Rex, think like a giant head on legs with teeth longer than your finger." He paused, "There's a lot of others but these are the ones I remember."

His mind drifted to the subject of he would do if attacked by a dinosaur. He imagined it to be a lot like fighting a gator, only much bigger. By his reckoning, only him and Woj had guns big enough to take on a gator. (And even then, Swamp figured he would be better off with slugs instead of buckshot.) He took another puff from his blunt as he considered this.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Vojtech Liska - Camp Nowhere

Vojtech nods along with the mutant's explanation. Far as he knew, it was pretty accurate. Grabbing a chunk of the 'meat' and sitting down, he takes a few bites, finding it edible. Certainly not as bad as some of the things the Tuareg thought were good.

"The important thing is we must all be armed. Rifles at the least. From what I have seen, only I and Swampdog have guns that can deal with big predators. Pistols and muzzleloaders may not cut it, yeah? Even the Skorpion," he says, chuckling a little, " may not be enough to Czech a charge, no?"

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Listening to the talk of gigantic lizards, Ignatius shakes his head in dismay. These were the kinds of things that existed on other... worlds? Such strange places they must have been.

"Give me a few days, and we will have a proper palisade that will keep out beasts of any kind. But have any of you found a good source of water? I would rather not spend more time fortifying this place if a better place has been found."

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sasha - Camp

Swampdog's description of this "Tyrannosaurus Rex" sounds eerily similar to some of the descriptions the white men wrote of their first encounters with the beast-blooded. Though she doubts that is what they will find here.

"I'm afraid I've no experience shooting a rifle. I hope it won't come to that besides; even most predators will leave you alone if you make them understand you're more trouble than you're worth, and I'd prefer not to kill more than we can eat."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Camp Nowhere

The group settles down as they learn about dinosaurs and life. The bug meat is eaten and what water the group has is drunk. The question of setting watches is mentioned by someone. During a lull in the coversation a voice can be heard from the direction of the surf.

"Swampdog, where ya at?."

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Camp Nowhere

Upon hearing his name said, Swampdog looked around for who said it. Nobody he could see. He quietly hissed, "Did ya'll fuckin' hear that?", and began to reach into his coat. He pulled out his flashlight, switched it on, and shined it towards the water.

PE 12 to look for it.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

Abner - Camp Nowhere

Abner listens to the talk of giant monsters with no small amount of apprehension, and counts himself lucky that the centipede was all they encountered in the woods.

As Swampdog begins to search for the source voice, Abner snatches up his rifle and peers out into the darkness along with him. "Do you recognize the voice? if it's one of your companions, then why didn't they show themselves before now?"

Per 14, Observation 14

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Sasha - Camp Peer Pressure

Abner's question is the right one. If this was another castaway from the banestorm they are certainly welcome, but if it is something else...

Coming besides the disfigured man, she begins to scan the beach and sniff, hoping whoever is out there is upwind.

Per 14, Super Sniffer, checking for humans scents, particularly one similar to Swampdog's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Swampdog - Camp Nowhere

After thinking about it, the voice did sound familiar. Not Meyers, though. One of his flunkies. "Hey!", Swampdog called, "You 606?"

• Locked thread