Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
I actually show a bit of anime to my students. When we are discussing force and motion, there are several scenes in Planetes that really demonstrate motion in free fall. These scenes are really great for illustrating how stuff actually moves when gravity and friction are not a factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
The boy ain't right.

Ayeka
May 28, 2016

genesplicer posted:

I actually show a bit of anime to my students. When we are discussing force and motion, there are several scenes in Planetes that really demonstrate motion in free fall. These scenes are really great for illustrating how stuff actually moves when gravity and friction are not a factor.

That's cool, what grade do you teach

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Ayeka posted:

That's cool, what grade do you teach

8th grade science. Most of the kids still watch anime at that age, so they get it. The fun part is the fact that I am an Old Fart. When I make a reference to something modern, it freaks them out. One day one of my boys had his hair done rather wildly and as I walked past his desk I said "Really trying for that Goku look today, are we?" It surprised him just a bit when he realized I had that reference in my dusty old cranium.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

cowboy bebop, akira, spirited away, howl's moving castle, princess mononoke, and samurai champloo are all good anime. oh and ghost in the shell, and the lesser known 1997 playstation one ghost in the shell game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QiaB8eVXaE

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

also Legend of Galactic Heroes is loving awesome. I watchted the first 45 episodes last year and haven't gotten around to watching the rest

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I liked the end of Space Dandy when they were making fun of Evangelion.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

I was enjoying Attack on Titan until I realized that the series was devolving into a body-horror flesh-mecha show.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

genesplicer posted:

8th grade science. Most of the kids still watch anime at that age

lmao

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

HappyKitty posted:

I was enjoying Attack on Titan until I realized that I hated all of the characters.

This happened by like, the third or fourth episode.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
gurren lagann is good and that's about it

oh there's also that jesus and buddha in tokyo movie, that's also good

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
tenchi muyo is a show with tree aliens and girls with tree alien powers

would've been better with weed aliens and girls with weed alien powers

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

genesplicer posted:

:yeah:

holy poo poo

gene you rule

i love planetes. im glad you know about it and how it worked hard to be accurate.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Ayeka posted:

I think some anime is okay. Like, the good ones. Like Tenchi Muyo, or Dragon Ball Z; those are good. Do you agree or disagree? What are animes do you like or dislike?

Do you like the big boob woman anime or the small boob little girl pedo anime?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

King of the Hill is the best anime

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

hth posted:

anime belongs in the trash, OP

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-sWfj0XKdI

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I don't think any cartoons are ok after about age 12, no matter how deep the "story". I'm right no matter how much the perv artist and writers are winking at you knowingly.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the anime community is way too tolerant of paedophiles and general weirdness imho

tried watching pokemon last time i was on the tail end of acid it was very colourful but far too anime unfortunately

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Ayeka posted:

I think some anime is okay. Like, the good ones. Like Tenchi Muyo, or Dragon Ball Z; those are good. Do you agree or disagree? What are animes do you like or dislike?

i like space mecha - Evangelion, Gargantia : The Verdant World
i like mysteries/thrillers - Rin : Daughter of Memnosene, Mushi-Shi, Eden of the East

most everything is trash but there are some gems

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

That Robot posted:

:yeah:

holy poo poo

gene you rule

i love planetes. im glad you know about it and how it worked hard to be accurate.

OMG yes planetes.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
If somebody in real life told me they watched anime, I would, over time, cut off all ties to them, personally.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
My neice on Wednesday called Studio Ghibli movies Chinese so I corrected her.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching Hajime no Ippo. Ita about boxing and it rules

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

hello pedophiles

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
what's the one with the girl who is in the tiger striped bikini 24/7

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Iron Prince posted:

ichikuro densapo high school blue jean calamity

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

ichikuro densapo high school blue jean calamity

lol nerd

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those 1/4 scales on the bottom are like 3 hundo each lmao

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Death Note is the most entertaining TV show I've ever seen. But it's also really dumb.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the live action adaptations of the anime are twice as dumb

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I was watching Teen Titans with my nephews and it seems to have a lot of anime influences. I liked it, so maybe there is one anime out there that I enjoy.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWiL-DKmD7Q

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxEsWaUMwL4&t=412s

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

Those 1/4 scales on the bottom are like 3 hundo each lmao

You can't have a scale model of something that doesn't exist idiot. There's nothing to scale from.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

hth posted:

anime belongs in the trash, OP

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
I've never enjoyed any anime that I've seen but I did watch a bunch of Adventure Time which is explicitly for children so I guess I should grill myself

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Iron Prince posted:

it's an anime called urusei yatsura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

yeah berserk, uzumaki, gyo are pretty good along with the the usuals akira, ghost in the shell, ninja scroll..

• Locked thread