Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

MadDogMike posted:

Mostly I just want ads that don't cripple my ability to actually see the content I'm there for. *Maybe* something brief like those "skip after 5 seconds" YouTube ads is tolerable, but don't play pop-up hell or cover my drat screen with an ad with a tiny little x that can't be clicked or make the page take 5 minutes to load, 4.5 minutes being all the ad crap.

Really what turns me off on online ads is there's a culture of outright deception and trickery behind them, feels like. Not counting the whole "is this gonna infect my PC?" roulette (which is bad enough to perma-sour me on even innocent ads really), there seems to be a lot of ads designed to trick you into clicking on them somehow. The tiny little x to close ads I mentioned above for example seem tailor made to force you to accidently click on the rest of the ad and get dragged to the page, and there's all sorts of other "cleverness" people come off with that infuriates me. I literally want to strangle the rear end in a top hat who came up with the Santander Bank ads on YouTube which were designed to register the "skip after 5 seconds" click as a click to go to the website, and there's always something else people come up with as a way to force you to view their "optional" ad. Why the gently caress does anyone think this is a good way to do business? The only thing those kinds of ads convince me of is that the advertised company/product is being offered by a manipulative and downright unethical rear end in a top hat who I should never trust; how does this encourage me to buy from them? It's really worse than TV ads; there at least it feels like a regulated "agreement" of spending X amount of time waiting for content with reasonable conditions. Sure, I PREFER to see TV without ads, but it doesn't feel unfair to deal with them. But if TV advertising worked the way Internet advertising seems to, you'd have to deal with having your channels being flipped without permission, getting tied to your chair so you couldn't get up, and every so often some criminal prick would blow out your speakers or run up your cable bill with very little you could do to stop it. Internet ads aren't just a business with a bad product, they're a business outright hostile to me. How could I possibly trust them? And since I have absolutely no way of knowing who has reasonable advertising policies before I allow ads (or will keep said reasonable policies, especially since sites rarely have full control of their ads), how can I justify whitelisting any site really? I realize people need to make a living, but I'm not going to let myself be abused so someone can make $$ no matter how much I like them. Maybe tighter regulations would help build the trust, but don't see how you promulgate or enforce those over the whole Internet, even assuming they weren't abused for censorship.

In short, Internet ads are delivered EXACTLY like internet scams, so there is no reason for consumers to treat them any differently.

Now that we're out of the era of 14" 1024x768 CRTs, people would probably be fine with ads that are unobtrusive headres/footers/sidebars - but because online ads are so heavily based on garbage tactics and outright malware people are blocking everything ad-related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Do what the British do an emulate the BBC.

Lol vote for Hillary you loving tards, that is literally your only option according to your broken psychology.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sethex posted:

Do what the British do an emulate the BBC.

To be clear just emulate the news parts and not the systematic coverup of child sexual abuse parts.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

To be clear just emulate the news parts and not the systematic coverup of child sexual abuse parts.
Isn't the BBC funding whipped by the Tories/the establishment in general? In any case, I'm not sure any organization, much less a media one, covering up long-running child sexual abuse is one to emulate. Clearly something isn't working there.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Moving to a better but imperfect model is better than the status quo/ commercial news media.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Isn't the BBC funding whipped by the Tories/the establishment in general? In any case, I'm not sure any organization, much less a media one, covering up long-running child sexual abuse is one to emulate. Clearly something isn't working there.

It's a dangerously stupid thing to suggest that state funded public media with a mandate for impartiality and public interest somehow leads directly to covering up child abuse.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It's a dangerously stupid thing to suggest that state funded public media with a mandate for impartiality and public interest somehow leads directly to covering up child abuse.
Get back to me when someone suggest that. What I wrote was that, given that this organization was set up in a way where such a cover-up occurred despite a clear mandate (and a moral duty) to report on such terrible crimes, it clearly shouldn't be emulated. Yes, the supposed goal and mandate is great, but that's not unique to the BBC, so why even talk about emulating it when clearly there's so much institutional rot.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

So... journalism is hosed, right?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

It sure as poo poo is now, yea. Can't wait till we find out what "loosening" up our libel laws means!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

WampaLord posted:

It sure as poo poo is now, yea. Can't wait till we find out what "loosening" up our libel laws means!

Trump may want to do that, but he can't, unless four more Supreme Court justices die and he appoints five Peter Thiels.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Trump may want to do that, but he can't, unless four more Supreme Court justices die and he appoints five Peter Thiels.
A giant head looking for five teenagers with attitude...

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Silver2195 posted:

Ginsberg won't last the next 8 years, maybe not the next 4.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Nah, he'll say some vaguely intimidating things and every major media outlet will immediately fall in line and tone their criticism way down, which he will deem tolerable and graciously allow them to continue to exist. Hell, there have already been early examples of that, like HuffPo removing their canned "reminder that Trump is a horrible racist" line from every Trump article. Mainstream media will still probably be a little snippy with his administration though, because Breitbart is going to get all the exclusives and leaks now.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Huzanko posted:

Ginsberg won't last the next 8 years, maybe not the next 4.

That still leaves 7 justices who are in favor of leaving NYT v. Sullivan intact.

Main Paineframe posted:

Nah, he'll say some vaguely intimidating things and every major media outlet will immediately fall in line and tone their criticism way down, which he will deem tolerable and graciously allow them to continue to exist. Hell, there have already been early examples of that, like HuffPo removing their canned "reminder that Trump is a horrible racist" line from every Trump article. Mainstream media will still probably be a little snippy with his administration though, because Breitbart is going to get all the exclusives and leaks now.

This, on the other hand, is a genuine possibility.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

So journalism is definitely hosed.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The biggest effect on the media, I think, isn't going to be Trump himself. Rather than that, it's going to be the fact that Trump won even though he openly demonized and spurned the mainstream media. The media tends to assume that the populace supports its right to exist and have a privileged position, and after Trump won despite openly blacklisting and threatening journalists while encouraging his rallies to shout pure hate at the reporters covering it, I think they're going to be rethinking that and adjusting their business accordingly. Trump will come and go, but the angry crowds shouting abuse at the TV cameras don't have term limits to worry about, and I think it's seriously going to disturb the main media organizations into reshaping their empires - after all, being unpopular is bad for business.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I can't wait to see all these assholes all turn up at the whitehouse press correspondent's dinner and nicely play along and not even for a minute act like they have any culpability for what just happened.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
The media gave him like a billion dollars worth of free advertising. Trump is the result of "news as entertainment" as much as anything. I feel bad for erosion of the first amendment but on the other hand maybe news can be boring again.

CasualTR
Apr 22, 2016

My Hunk of Silicon is better than your Hunk of Silicon
We are going to see a lot more of these 'alternative media' outlets over the next few years.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It's going to be really interesting watching the media fall in line behind Trump's narratives over the next few years.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's going to be really interesting watching the media fall in line behind Trump's narratives over the next few years.

Yeah, I can't see the democrats putting up the same kinda counter narrative opposition as the republicans did to Obama. Do you think it's the democrats incessant calling for unity and bipartisanship? If Schumer came out and said the same thing McConnell did about Obama being a one term president, people would flip their poo poo. Without an ounce of shame, republicans would say how the democrats are being overly partisan.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Bueno Papi posted:

Yeah, I can't see the democrats putting up the same kinda counter narrative opposition as the republicans did to Obama. Do you think it's the democrats incessant calling for unity and bipartisanship? If Schumer came out and said the same thing McConnell did about Obama being a one term president, people would flip their poo poo. Without an ounce of shame, republicans would say how the democrats are being overly partisan.

i think the dems would be smart to fight him where they can, but let him gently caress up and gently caress up bad, because its all on the GOP now because they have full control with a petty brute at the helm. if they are smart they will rebuild as a populist and progressive(not the ivory tower,snarky "thinkpiece" type) and try to unite everyone who will get hosed by him.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Bueno Papi posted:

Yeah, I can't see the democrats putting up the same kinda counter narrative opposition as the republicans did to Obama.

I think it would be wrong if they did. "Country above party" is the only hope they have of rebuilding their brand.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CasualTR posted:

We are going to see a lot more of these 'alternative media' outlets over the next few years.

Welcome to where the EU has been for the last 5 years. Alt-right media outlets spreading exaggerations and complete fantasies that radicalize the population which are then perpetuated across borders through the Russian Times which eventually feeds back into the national alt-right media and further distorts the alt-right narrative away from the truth.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

The biggest effect on the media, I think, isn't going to be Trump himself. Rather than that, it's going to be the fact that Trump won even though he openly demonized and spurned the mainstream media. The media tends to assume that the populace supports its right to exist and have a privileged position, and after Trump won despite openly blacklisting and threatening journalists while encouraging his rallies to shout pure hate at the reporters covering it, I think they're going to be rethinking that and adjusting their business accordingly. Trump will come and go, but the angry crowds shouting abuse at the TV cameras don't have term limits to worry about, and I think it's seriously going to disturb the main media organizations into reshaping their empires - after all, being unpopular is bad for business.

So going along with this idea: do Trump supporters remain as outwardly aggressive and continue to proliferate after he's been elected, or do they fade into the background as time goes on?

Aesop Poprock fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stockholm Syndrome
Mar 30, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

So going along with this idea: do Trump supporters remain as outwardly aggressive and continue to proliferate after he's been elected, or do they fade into the background as time goes on?

Seems like the liberal and democratic side is acting more hostile after Trumps election.

• Locked thread