Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
Journalists are middle men who shittily translate other peoples information for profit??? The motherjones thing is a perfect example, that person had to become a prison guard to get that first hand information instead of being a "journalist" and just interviewing some prison guards or something. Investigative journalism is probably a necessity to keep society civil, but posting poo poo on twitter or your blog doesn't count.

So no I don't think journalism is dead I just think people need to turn off the internet and go see poo poo first hand for themselves before they start writing about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

roymorrison posted:

Journalists are middle men who shittily translate other peoples information for profit??? The motherjones thing is a perfect example, that person had to become a prison guard to get that first hand information instead of being a "journalist" and just interviewing some prison guards or something. Investigative journalism is probably a necessity to keep society civil, but posting poo poo on twitter or your blog doesn't count.

So no I don't think journalism is dead I just think people need to turn off the internet and go see poo poo first hand for themselves before they start writing about it.

As someone above noted, there's an enormous distinction to be made between investigative journalism and run-of-the-mill reportage.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

roymorrison posted:

So you're arguing in favor of... more and better reporting?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Journalism really isn't unbiased and probably shouldn't ever be. That doesn't mean Yellow Journalism All Day Erry Day, or even being in the pocket of a certain person/candidate/whatever, but if you don't take some kind of stand on interpreting the issues you just throw up two conflicting sound bytes and go :shrug:.

Ideally there's enough differing views that you can get a variety of viewpoints and judge for yourself. However, this requires:

• papers that don't come from conglomerated monolithic corporations (that's right I used all those words together :chord:)
  • being financially solvent enough that bribes don't fall on the desperate (lol human greed instead)
  • the public doing critical thinking

...and I'm not the least bit confident any of those can happen right now. I really do think internet sources are stepping up to provide the multiple viewpoints, but because the audiences are often so small, they become insular echo chambers. The only way to fix that is to break out of them yourself and surf around, but that's really hard to do, honestly.

In short I don't know what the solution is and this post is probably a waste of space :v:

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

[*] the public doing critical thinking

This has never happened. I'm (just barely) old enough to remember a time before CNN, when there were three major broadcast TV networks, which spoon-fed news and viewpoints from the mainstream center in the US. I'll take today's diversity of information over that, any day of the week.

roymorrison
Jul 26, 2005
Yes I would like more and better journalism but, because of reasons you listed, I think that good "journalists" are typically not people who went to school for and are currently employed as journalists. Does that make sense? Journalism right now has such a massive filter on it that by the time the information gets to me I cant tell if it should be trusted.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

roymorrison posted:

Yes I would like more and better journalism but, because of reasons you listed, I think that good "journalists" are typically not people who went to school for and are currently employed as journalists. Does that make sense? Journalism right now has such a massive filter on it that by the time the information gets to me I cant tell if it should be trusted.

Journalism school is utterly worthless. Who do you think would be a better analyst of immigration policy for an in-depth article: a 22-year old recent J-school grad with a head full of Frankfurt School who thinks he's the first American ever to read Manufacturing Consent, or someone without the J-school degree who's been a practicing immigration lawyer for ten years? Universities that still offer BAs in journalism should be sued for educational malpractice.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

TheImmigrant posted:

Journalism school is utterly worthless. Who do you think would be a better analyst of immigration policy for an in-depth article: a 22-year old recent J-school grad with a head full of Frankfurt School who thinks he's the first American ever to read Manufacturing Consent, or someone without the J-school degree who's been a practicing immigration lawyer for ten years? Universities that still offer BAs in journalism should be sued for educational malpractice.

So the only people who should be allowed to write news articles and analysis are solely the experts involved in their fields? That's a great idea, but there are a few issues with that. Firstly, the people involved in fields like immigration policy are typically already busy doing the work in whatever field they work in and lack the time to write in-depth articles. Secondly, there are a lot of professionals out there that aren't too good at writing and might not have the best ability to translate complex ideas into something an average reader would be able to not only digest but also understand.

Journalism school has its downsides and I would argue it needs to promote developing more secondary communication skills to give reporters an out when they inevitably crash from all of the pressure and low wages, but by the time I had earned by degree I had studied communication law including its history and application for years, learned the ins and outs of libel/slander, learned about to read complex reports, how to ask better interviewing questions, had a chance to study what not to do in reporting, hell even boring technical poo poo like the weird differences in Associate Press style guidelines, gained some pretty advance skills in layout and editing/taking photos, etc. etc. etc.

What I ended up with was a far cry from "educational malpractice," but I certainly wish there was more honesty about how loving brutal being a reporter can be.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

roymorrison posted:

That's not because of "journalists", but rather because of the media organizations that employ them.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Awesome Welles posted:

So the only people who should be allowed to write news articles and analysis

How on earth did you get from A to B?

I never went to journalism school, but wound up working as a journalist for a few years. Then I taught as an adjunct for a year, and was utterly appalled at the absolute nonsense journalistic 'theory' being taught by the academic sorts in J-school. You want to talk Gramsci instead of learning how to outwit a slippery interview subject? gently caress right off. Journalism is a vocation. If you need to be taught how to write, find another calling.

The best journalists have had a solid mentor or two, and a lot of field experience.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

Journalism really isn't unbiased and probably shouldn't ever be. That doesn't mean Yellow Journalism All Day Erry Day, or even being in the pocket of a certain person/candidate/whatever, but if you don't take some kind of stand on interpreting the issues you just throw up two conflicting sound bytes and go :shrug:.

It feels a lot like people don't understand what "bias" is, which is large part of how we've gone from "reporting" journalism to "evangelical" journalism.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

TheImmigrant posted:

How on earth did you get from A to B?

I never went to journalism school, but wound up working as a journalist for a few years. Then I taught as an adjunct for a year, and was utterly appalled at the absolute nonsense journalistic 'theory' being taught by the academic sorts in J-school. You want to talk Gramsci instead of learning how to outwit a slippery interview subject? gently caress right off. Journalism is a vocation.
The best journalists have had a solid mentor or two, and a lot of field experience.

I thought that's what you might have been implying, so my bad if I just misread it.

Journalism schools are hugely hit or miss and I support having more reporters studying more specialized fields on the side (for their own protection if anything else), but it sounds like you just taught at a lovely journalism school. I went to a university that was average at best and aside from a few classes that were horseshit (mainly due to the professors teaching them) I never felt like I was being pushed into learning some set idea of how to "outwit" people or that we avoided talking about complex figures or topics. On the contrary, communication law and history were classes I enjoyed the most as we had a ton of awesome discussions and studied tons of stories and controversies. Perhaps if what you went through is what a lot of reporters go through in college then maybe I lucked out. :shrug:

quote:

If you need to be taught how to write, find another calling.

There isn't anything wrong with going to school with the intention of studying journalism to learn advanced writing and interviewing skills, although it's clear it doesn't always work out that way for people and that's an issue. Personally, I would have liked it better if classes focused a bit more on logic/analysis and less on AP Stylebook: Do's and Don'ts (Also gently caress Commas).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My journalism school was great. Every teacher was a practicing reporter (one of my TV teachers did local packages on the weekend, and in addition she produced TV spots, hey-o) and we got taught poo poo like "how to give an interview" and "how to verify information." I don't know what that other guy's going on about with manufactured consent.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Actually, I do get what you're talking about, I just got lucky enough not to have to deal with any of that bullshit. But I've seen plenty of it in other majors - architecture especially seems to be a total cesspool, so I can imagine how frustrating it would be to have that. It's a big part of why I dropped my Poli Sci minor for English I had a very vocational sort of education, even with a traditional 4-year degree. Even most of my English classes were focused on producing publishable work (with the assumption you'd go on to an MFA, but still: workshops rather than theory).

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Chokes McGee posted:

Thanks for this comprehensive description of everything that's wrong with the UK media (aka the entirety of the UK media).

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

TheImmigrant posted:

Journalism, in the journalist-as-gatekepper sense, is increasingly obsolete. There has never been greater access to information than what we enjoy today, and the hand-wringing I'm seeing on this thread seems to bemoan that 'incorrect' information is no longer being filtered out from what is available to the hoi polloi.

People still go to journalists to provide them context. That context is provided by years of experience and professionalism in whatever topics the journalists specialize in. I'd take the word of Robert Fisk or Seymour Hersh on war reporting over some two-bit "internet expert".

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

People still go to journalists to provide them context. That context is provided by years of experience and professionalism in whatever topics the journalists specialize in. I'd take the word of Robert Fisk or Seymour Hersh on war reporting over some two-bit "internet expert".

let me introduce you to this medium blog which...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Plenty of non-internet experts and professional journalists also think Fisk's and Hersh's recent work has been poo poo, so there's that.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Too bad they aren't able to provide this context when talking about the "latest study". That sort of reporting has done a great deal to undermine public trust in the medical and science fields.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Main Paineframe posted:

people feel less tied to a particular brand
This isn't entirely true, the big irony is that the major newspaper publishers have become more popular via their online editions, but they can't convert that popularity into money.

The biggest problem is that because republishing stories is now fast and instant, both by other news outlets and via social media sharing, the competitive advantage of information doesn't really exist any more. People value reporting, and they value the big news brands, but they don't value it enough to pay for it when there is always someone who will regurgitate their stories and give them out for free.

The same problem is why journalism has become increasingly "editorialized" and "evangelical": They can't distinguish themselves by information any more, but they can distinguish themselves with style, controversy, and sensation.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Even most of my English classes were focused on producing publishable work

Where did you take English classes? Because clearly I went to the wrong ones

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

Too bad they aren't able to provide this context when talking about the "latest study". That sort of reporting has done a great deal to undermine public trust in the medical and science fields.

There are some eye-opening chapters in The Panic Virus by Seth Mnookin, which covers the battle over vaccines in the US, that talk about these issues. I don't have the book handy to pull out a few excerpts, but this Washington Post article sheds some light on it:

quote:

Mnookin's contention that the controversy would not have achieved staying power without uncritical or at times blatantly irresponsible reporting by numerous media outlets - including NBC, the Huffington Post, Rolling Stone and The Washington Post (:v:) - is persuasive. Too often, he writes, journalists display "a willingness to parrot quack claims under the guise of reporting on citizen concerns." Much of the coverage failed to adequately explain the fundamental but essential difference between correlation and causation. Simply because a child received a vaccine and soon after began showing signs of autism does not mean the shot caused the disorder, only that the two events are linked temporally. Nor can scientists ever say categorically that vaccines do not cause autism; it is impossible to prove a negative.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Unrelated, I also want to say what the hell is up with these Facebook posts from news outlets doing live streams? Some of the ones that are just live discussions or roundtables or whatever are fine, but there are so many being done by big outlets like the NYT that are just interviews between two people being streamed over a horribly shakey smartphone camera. What's the loving point? Just use a real camera or get a tripod or something.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Where did you take English classes? Because clearly I went to the wrong ones
University of Idaho. Crappy school, very good English bachelor's and MFA programs.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Solkanar512 posted:

It's not all the journalists' fault. A lot of times researchers when explaining their work to the press do not put their work in the proper context partly because if they were to actually do that it would diminish the importance and relevance of their work and at least in applied science, partly because they don't really understand the current technology. They do the same stuff in scientific journal papers, too.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 24, 2016

NigelsPoppet
Jul 22, 2015
Where can I apply for a job manipulating the news

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

You have to slaughter a conservative and bathe in their blood to pledge your undying loyalty to George Soros before you can be accepted :unsmigghh:

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

NigelsPoppet posted:

Where can I apply for a job manipulating the news
Wait until Josh Earnest quits.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

blowfish posted:

Thanks for this comprehensive description of everything that's wrong with the UK media (aka the entirety of the UK media).

Well, not ALL UK Media

Although it is a sorry state of affairs when a satirical magazine is also one of the best sources of journalism in the UK....

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011
Good journalism is definitely still happening. From Mother Jones to Last Week Tonight to The Big Short, there is still deep investigative journalism.

I think the main problem, why journalism is perceived to be hosed, is that the post-print/mainstream media consolidation hasn't really finished yet. I could be wrong, and this could be a case of oversimplifying the past, but it seems like journalism tends to rally around central figures, adopting their formats and methods. The early 1900's had McClure's and Sinclair, the mid 1900's had Gellhorn and Cronkite, we have these figures even if they aren't identified yet. The problem is it seems like there's nobody who's been around in the new media environment long enough to have built up unwavering trust from the public. Eventually there will be one, or several, and I imagine some form of network or another will build up around them.

The majority of people will never be well-informed. They never have been. The goal should always be to have more people than before well-informed, and make sure sharp and inquisitive minds are turned towards the right targets, and are able to attack them in public using arguments crafted from those established journalists in a way that can shape public opinion.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

It's kind of incredible that this thread has gone a full three pages without anyone pointing out that it's us--the news consumers--who have turbofucked journalism. And it's because everyone is a whiny dipshit about ads.

I work for a mid-sized publishing company (12 or so community newspapers; dailies and weeklies mixed in; no market larger than about 200k) currently as an audience/data director and formerly as the digital advertising operations director and lemme tell you that printing newspapers is simply not profitable anymore because people have a stick up their asses about ads.

The largest chunks of newspaper revenue used to be classifieds: that's almost entirely dried up because it was the most easily replaced. To make up for that loss of revenue, papers have tried time and time again to refine the advertising experience online only to be greeted with incredulity from an audience that expects reporting on city hall but doesn't want to sit through 15 seconds of pre-roll advertising before their video; or gets pissy about having to click an X to close an interstitial ad.

The real bummer is that no form of media is immune; all I ever hear from friends/colleagues during NPR pledge weeks is them whining about the content being interrupted.

The worst part is that it's already too late. Everyone who hasn't whitelisted journalism websites from their adblocker is to blame, but if everyone suddenly did whitelist every newspaper site, it's not like the revenue would flood back in.

My company is lucky enough to also own some very profitable cable/fiber companies as well, and they keep the lights on and basically fund the papers as a public good of sorts. But I can tell you from a corporate perspective, publishing companies don't see their papers as profit generators, and every single daily paper you have in your towns is likely less than 5 years away from becoming a weekly, or losing a couple days (or going away altogether).

And it's because no one likes ads.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

^^^^ the ads companies hosed up big in the mid 2000s. Who would have guessed having ads starting at full volume like i am watching tv every time i go to an online newspaper main page would encourage people to get an adblocker?

Venmoch posted:

Well, not ALL UK Media

Although it is a sorry state of affairs when a satirical magazine is also one of the best sources of journalism in the UK....
It's basically the same in France with the Canard Enchainé. They also pretty much refuse to go online which is probably why they kept their sell numbers too.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 25, 2016

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffles Inc. posted:

It's kind of incredible that this thread has gone a full three pages without anyone pointing out that it's us--the news consumers--who have turbofucked journalism. And it's because everyone is a whiny dipshit about ads.

I work for a mid-sized publishing company (12 or so community newspapers; dailies and weeklies mixed in; no market larger than about 200k) currently as an audience/data director and formerly as the digital advertising operations director and lemme tell you that printing newspapers is simply not profitable anymore because people have a stick up their asses about ads.

The largest chunks of newspaper revenue used to be classifieds: that's almost entirely dried up because it was the most easily replaced. To make up for that loss of revenue, papers have tried time and time again to refine the advertising experience online only to be greeted with incredulity from an audience that expects reporting on city hall but doesn't want to sit through 15 seconds of pre-roll advertising before their video; or gets pissy about having to click an X to close an interstitial ad.

The real bummer is that no form of media is immune; all I ever hear from friends/colleagues during NPR pledge weeks is them whining about the content being interrupted.

The worst part is that it's already too late. Everyone who hasn't whitelisted journalism websites from their adblocker is to blame, but if everyone suddenly did whitelist every newspaper site, it's not like the revenue would flood back in.

My company is lucky enough to also own some very profitable cable/fiber companies as well, and they keep the lights on and basically fund the papers as a public good of sorts. But I can tell you from a corporate perspective, publishing companies don't see their papers as profit generators, and every single daily paper you have in your towns is likely less than 5 years away from becoming a weekly, or losing a couple days (or going away altogether).

The ad experience online has been full of terrible bullshit since its inception. Pop-ups, pop-unders, downloaders, autoplay audio/video, belly fat banner ads, bloated Flash players, useless sponsored content, links to scams on otherwise legitimate sites. I could go on. Even with how much better things are today than the dark ages of the late 90s and early 2000s, it's still bad enough that it's unreasonable to expect an intelligent person to refrain from installing or selectively disabling an ad blocker because they want to passively support journalism. The ad-supported model is a dead end until the internet ad industry cleans its act up.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think there's ways ads can be done well. For example, my city's alt-newspaper The Stranger has been a free newspaper (albeit twice a week) and relies on it's ads. Their website is an easy read and features prominent ads next to the articles. I think it's the only time I've actually clicked on an ad and purchased something (it was tickets to see Aziz Ansari).

Here's their main newspage: http://www.thestranger.com/slog

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

Ads suck, find a better business model.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

WampaLord posted:

Ads suck, find a better business model.

Ads do work but they're a small to tiny cornerstone of a larger strategy. Spamming ads all over the place won't get you poo poo, even if they aren't blocked. There's a reason click through rates are measured in 0.01 percents.

JOURNALISM

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Waffles Inc. posted:

No one likes ads because, as was said above, the ad industry hosed up royally at the start of the Internet age, and had just doubled down since. They made their product an annoyance at best, and an active detriment to using the sites hosting it at worst. That worst is all too common, even now.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

The ad experience online has been full of terrible bullshit since its inception. Pop-ups, pop-unders, downloaders, autoplay audio/video, belly fat banner ads, bloated Flash players, useless sponsored content, links to scams on otherwise legitimate sites. I could go on. Even with how much better things are today than the dark ages of the late 90s and early 2000s, it's still bad enough that it's unreasonable to expect an intelligent person to refrain from installing or selectively disabling an ad blocker because they want to passively support journalism. The ad-supported model is a dead end until the internet ad industry cleans its act up.

Don't forget literal malware forcibly installed on your computer on page-visit that forces you to click ads whenever they appear on screen.

Jesus loving Christ nothing will ever make me turn off my adblocker. Not even being denied access to some news websites.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Waffles Inc. posted:

probably nobody has pointed that out because it is a really stupid angle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Toplowtech posted:

^^^^ the ads companies hosed up big in the mid 2000s. Who would have guessed having ads starting at full volume like i am watching tv every time i go to an online newspaper main page would encourage people to get an adblocker?
Last time I turned my ad blocker off because a (major) site was complaining it, I got served a malware ad by them the same day. I'm not going to wait for ad agencies to do quality control worth a poo poo, especially when ads capable of running code should have never existed in the first place.

The damage is mostly done at this point. Nobody that has an ad blocker is going to turn it off out of sympathy, and the new installs aren't going to stop unless there's an industry-wide cleanup.

That said, I don't think ad blockers are going to last once sites serving ads start developing countermeasures that aren't terrible. Why aren't there dynamic DOM/content obfuscators to make it incredibly hard to create working filters? Why are interstitial video ads blockable at all, why aren't you just serving the ad in the video stream?

Chokes McGee posted:

Ads do work but they're a small to tiny cornerstone of a larger strategy. Spamming ads all over the place won't get you poo poo, even if they aren't blocked. There's a reason click through rates are measured in 0.01 percents.
I think everyone's moved beyond giving a poo poo about click-throughs. It's turned into the same type of thing as TV and radio ads, where it's awareness that matters.

• Locked thread