Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Journalism, in the journalist-as-gatekepper sense, is increasingly obsolete. There has never been greater access to information than what we enjoy today, and the hand-wringing I'm seeing on this thread seems to bemoan that 'incorrect' information is no longer being filtered out from what is available to the hoi polloi.

The industry itself is undergoing a necessary reinvention, as the mass audiences formerly available for advertising are no longer there, but I am confident that it will reinvent itself. Recent developments, like the work we've seen Brown Moses do, would never have been possible even ten years ago. That's where the future is, not with some hidebound paper of record that still resists making online content available to the public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

roymorrison posted:

Journalists are middle men who shittily translate other peoples information for profit??? The motherjones thing is a perfect example, that person had to become a prison guard to get that first hand information instead of being a "journalist" and just interviewing some prison guards or something. Investigative journalism is probably a necessity to keep society civil, but posting poo poo on twitter or your blog doesn't count.

So no I don't think journalism is dead I just think people need to turn off the internet and go see poo poo first hand for themselves before they start writing about it.

As someone above noted, there's an enormous distinction to be made between investigative journalism and run-of-the-mill reportage.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

[*] the public doing critical thinking

This has never happened. I'm (just barely) old enough to remember a time before CNN, when there were three major broadcast TV networks, which spoon-fed news and viewpoints from the mainstream center in the US. I'll take today's diversity of information over that, any day of the week.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

roymorrison posted:

Yes I would like more and better journalism but, because of reasons you listed, I think that good "journalists" are typically not people who went to school for and are currently employed as journalists. Does that make sense? Journalism right now has such a massive filter on it that by the time the information gets to me I cant tell if it should be trusted.

Journalism school is utterly worthless. Who do you think would be a better analyst of immigration policy for an in-depth article: a 22-year old recent J-school grad with a head full of Frankfurt School who thinks he's the first American ever to read Manufacturing Consent, or someone without the J-school degree who's been a practicing immigration lawyer for ten years? Universities that still offer BAs in journalism should be sued for educational malpractice.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Awesome Welles posted:

So the only people who should be allowed to write news articles and analysis

How on earth did you get from A to B?

I never went to journalism school, but wound up working as a journalist for a few years. Then I taught as an adjunct for a year, and was utterly appalled at the absolute nonsense journalistic 'theory' being taught by the academic sorts in J-school. You want to talk Gramsci instead of learning how to outwit a slippery interview subject? gently caress right off. Journalism is a vocation. If you need to be taught how to write, find another calling.

The best journalists have had a solid mentor or two, and a lot of field experience.

• Locked thread