Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Paolomania posted:

I think the only way forward is to view journalism as a fundamental public good that serves the interest of maintaining a well-informed electorate and have state-sponsored media like the BBC and, like the BBC, there need to be charters, provisions and safe-guards that both ensure quality of reporting and prevent such media from just becoming a mouthpiece for the regime that holds the purse-strings.
What is journalism and why should we care?

Sure, fifty years ago it was important, but not because journalists are better and smarter and less biased than anyone else, because they had a printing press and a distribution network. Now I have one of those. So do you, so does about 80% of the world. 5 billion people have more reach than William Randolph Hearst ever had. So why are the opinions of journalists worthy of government funding when mine and yours aren't?

Why should I pay to know what Joe Somebody of the NYT thinks is going on in Syria when I can go ask a bunch of actual Syrians for free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

blowfish posted:

Because reprinting quotes from a primary source is only a small part of journalism, and investigative ability as well as being able to put together a coherent picture from disparate pieces of evidence are not skills that random assholes on the internet are likely to have developed.
In my experience they are not skills many journalists have developed either.

The vast majority of what goes on in journalism seems to be wild speculation based on very little information, followed a day later later by more-or-less skeptical parroting of government or corporate press releases. Two tasks that both YouTube and Twitter are fantastic at, do for free, and spend less time trying to convince me to buy gold during.

Half the time anything interesting happens CNN just goes straight to loving Twitter anyway, and I don't think any of us really benefit from having Wolf Blitzer be our national tweet filter.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Journalism has always been dumb and I wouldn't be surprised if the first piece of journalism ever published was cuneiform clickbait and the second was "Is journalism dead?"

Also love it how every four years we get "Election 20XX it's the most partisan ever! Is this the end of democracy!?" When Election 1860 directly resulted in the bloodiest conflict in American history, a million or so deaths, and the concept of total war.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Sethex posted:

Do what the British do an emulate the BBC.

To be clear just emulate the news parts and not the systematic coverup of child sexual abuse parts.

• Locked thread