Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Journalism has always been dumb and I wouldn't be surprised if the first piece of journalism ever published was cuneiform clickbait and the second was "Is journalism dead?"

Also love it how every four years we get "Election 20XX it's the most partisan ever! Is this the end of democracy!?" When Election 1860 directly resulted in the bloodiest conflict in American history, a million or so deaths, and the concept of total war.

I don't think anyone is saying journalism is dead. In fact, the title of the thread is "Is journalism hosed?" which it's looking more and more likely. Reason being that more and more journalism outlets are being purchased by conglomerates that are more interested in page views than anything else. Journalism will always exist, whether it be celebrity tabloids, sports columns, or anything that appeals to the national level. The bigger concern is the local press is going to get more and more marginalized with tighter budgets, and maybe in the future there's not gonna be a journalist sitting at a budget meeting at your state's capital when your state's congress decides to completely blow up your state's education budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I think there's ways ads can be done well. For example, my city's alt-newspaper The Stranger has been a free newspaper (albeit twice a week) and relies on it's ads. Their website is an easy read and features prominent ads next to the articles. I think it's the only time I've actually clicked on an ad and purchased something (it was tickets to see Aziz Ansari).

Here's their main newspage: http://www.thestranger.com/slog

• Locked thread