Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat watching that LB you picked up not even see the field on Monday night GODDAMN LOSER ALL I NEEDED WAS 3 POINTS. Yes, it's the All-IDP League, back for Season 3.

Only defensive players?
Well I suppose if one of your dudes gets an interception he's technically on offense at that point, but to put it simply, yes. All defense, all the time baby. Sounds simple - but rest assured, it will make you feel foolish at some point or another.

OK, what are the rules?
Glad you asked - we started debating the idea of some rule changes at the end of our last thread. Last year, we were a 14 team league, and the lineups and rules were as follows:

quote:

POS
D Flex 1
LB 4
DT 1
DE 1
DL 1
CB 1
S 1
DB 1
BN 6

quote:

Tackle Solo: 1.5
Tackle Assist: .75
Sack: 3.5
Interception: 5
Fumble Force: 3.5
Fumble Recovery: 3.5
Defensive Touchdown: 6
Pass Defended: 3
Block Kick: 5
Tackles for Loss: 2

I felt these rules worked very well last year (of course I do - I won mfers), but that is contingent on 14 players. Basically, if we fall short of that, the flex basically becomes an additional LB spot. I'm completely agreeable to hearing out what changes you guys might want, but here's my proposal:

12 or 14 teams - no changes. yes, at 12 teams the flex becomes a bit more pointless, but I'd rather advertise that and allow folks to use a different position at flex if they so choose.

10 (or less) teams: lose the flex, add a 5th LB spot, a 2nd DL spot, and a 2nd DB spot.

Scoringwise, the only change that I'm suggesting would be to add a category for Turnover Return Yards. The idea was brought up last year, but it apparently wasn't possible at the time. 1pt per 15 yards, perhaps? not possible with ESPN

Cool - what else should I know?
Don't autodraft. I mean it - DON'T AUTODRAFT. If you have to miss the draft, pre-rank your players. If Yahoo is anything like years past, their defensive rankings may as well be alphabetical. We've had a few players try their best after getting autodrafted, but it's a massively uphill battle - if you get autodrafted, you're practically building your entire team off the waiver wire scraps. At 14 teams, there'd be 238 players drafted - if you can't make the draft, and you don't want any practice squad/retired/dead players drafted, you'll probably want to pre-rank that many or pretty close to it. ESPN isn't garbage so they actually kinda sorta rank IDPs, so go ahead and Autodraft to your heart's content.

Yahoo? Not ESPN?
On one hand, I'd like to stay on Yahoo since I've grown fairly used to it for this league, but on the other hand, I don't give a gently caress. Weigh in if it matters to you. :siren: ESPN BITCHES :siren:

Alright, I want to join.
Of our 14 from last year, we had 1 deadbeat, and 1 person who has said they won't be back next season, so we've got :siren: 2 SPOTS AVAILABLE :siren: at the moment for anyone else to sign-up. Past that, feel free to continue to throw your name in if you're interested - I'll create a waiting list and follow-up with any returners that I haven't heard from in a week.

1. JoeRules
2. Epi Lepi
3. Teeter
4. Teemu Pokemon
5. Yoshifan823
6. GVOLTT
7. 3 DONG HORSE
8. timp
9. Sataere
10. chesneckbeard
11. :siren: OPEN :siren:
12. :siren: OPEN :siren:
13. :siren: OPEN :siren:
14. :siren: OPEN :siren:

Please PM me your e-mail address for invites, or send me a message on gmail at SAJoeRules

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Aug 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I'm fully down for this year, and I'd prefer ESPN for this year. Glancing at it, I think ESPN is better for autodrafters too, their rankings look closer to what I'd expect and you can edit you autodraft strategy i.e. if you want to hit certain positions in a certain order and if you want to set mins and maxes of what you draft.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I'm in! Should be able to put more time into it this year.

I'd prefer ESPN as well

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I usually prefer Yahoo to ESPN, but for the benefit of potential autodrafters I think a switch would be a good move

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm back in this as well, looking to improve on last time.

I don't mind which service we use, I've already got leagues in both and I genuinely don't have a preference one way or the other.

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.
I guess I'm back in again this year. I prefer ESPN's interface a bit, but after using Yahoo last year I suppose it's okay.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm in. I prefer ESPN

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Updated OP with a list of players so far.

ESPN seems to be the favorite, and I'm totally cool with that - but as far as I can Turnover Return Yards is not an option in ESPN. As much as I'd like to add that, we lived without it last year, so I'll just throw that out there if it matters to anyone.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I'll be back and ESPN would be great since all my other leagues are there!

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

If there is still a spot, I will participate. Always wanted to try this league.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
You're in - updated OP with members and new info.

YAHOO IS DEAD
We're on ESPN now. PM me/email me to get your invite.

We're at 9 members now, and I have one non-goon friend interested in playing if we need him, so I'm hoping we can get to at least 12 teams. I'll go ahead and say that if we make 14 teams, our scoring/rosters will stay the same at last year. But if you want to make your case for any changes in case of a 12 team league, now's the time.

Also, we need to figure out a draft date/time. My suggestion would be one of Aug 30, Aug 31, Sept 1, or Sept 6 at 10PM EST.

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Generally, I am available for a draft at anytime in the evening after 8 o'clock on any day of the week. That being said, I might rule out Aug. 30 personally because I'll probably be following the congressional primary results in Florida (and to a much lesser extent, Arizona). I'm not completely opposed to that day if that's the best day for everyone else, but I've become quite a bit of a political junkie this election cycle.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

JoeRules posted:

You're in - updated OP with members and new info.

YAHOO IS DEAD
We're on ESPN now. PM me/email me to get your invite.

We're at 9 members now, and I have one non-goon friend interested in playing if we need him, so I'm hoping we can get to at least 12 teams. I'll go ahead and say that if we make 14 teams, our scoring/rosters will stay the same at last year. But if you want to make your case for any changes in case of a 12 team league, now's the time.

Also, we need to figure out a draft date/time. My suggestion would be one of Aug 30, Aug 31, Sept 1, or Sept 6 at 10PM EST.

The first is the only one of those days that really works for me. The time is fine. The second would be much better for me.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I PMed a couple of the people who played last year who haven't indicated whether they're in or out yet and made another recruitment post in the main thread, hopefully we get up to 12 at least.

And if I have to autodraft then I have to autodraft, I do believe it will turn out better this year than last year. And heck, I made it to the playoffs last year on an autodrafted team. This year I'll be unstoppable!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Just sent a PM for the invite. I think I'm fairly open with my schedule so I'll wait to see other responses.

I've found that Doodle is pretty great for finding a time that works. I made a poll that includes the dates suggested.

http://doodle.com/poll/beeiiuzpmvsfumcw

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Eh what the hell, I'm back in this year.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Azhais says he's skipping so that's another free slot to a new person.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
In as Popcorn Sutton coach of the Rum Runners.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
:siren: DRAFT IS SET FOR THURS, SEPT 1 @ 10pm EASTERN :siren:
If you can't make it, ESPN has decent autodraft rankings, but you might want to spend a few minutes tinkering with yours.

I still have a few folks who have posted that they're in, but haven't sent me an email address for their league invite.

Chesneckbeard gives us 11 - and I've got my non-goon buddy who really wants to play - so we're unofficially at 12, and I'm hoping we can get 2 more to make 14.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Happy to see it filled up. I may try and join again another year, but seems I'm not really gonna have a ton of time to keep up with all the leagues. Sorry for backing out!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

You'd think that after two years of this I'd at least have some idea of what I'm doing, but nope! I've got no clue how the gently caress this draft should go down or who to pick.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
OK, here's where we stand - we currently have 10 members, and I have 1 non-goon friend who badly wants to play, and 1 goon friend who wants less fantasy football this year, but will play to give us an even number. I'm going to invite both, so that we at least hit 12. If anyone joins between now and 5:00pm EST on Thursday, we'll bump who we need to, but I think that'll settle us at 12 teams no matter what.

If there is any argument to change the rules for a 12 team league, do it now - I will not consider any rule changes once the draft begins. My view of the rules, with 12 teams, is that we should leave everything the same, but it should be well known that the FLEX spot will generally be best served as a 5th LB spot, with maybe a bye week or two causing you to flex a different position.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If that's the case, is there really any argument against just adding a 5th LB slot to add a little more variance to the flex, or is that out of the question? Or maybe add a second flex to keep the individual position sizes a little more static?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

If we add another flex it'll be another LB spot. What if we added a DB flex?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

That's also an option. I think the way the numbers work out, 12 additional flex spots would make at least a few of them not guaranteed LBs though was my reasoning

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Not opposed to adding a spot. I think adding a DB position would only further enforce the "flex = LB" issue. since there'd be less reason to flex DBs. In the case of adding a 2nd flex, I think we'd still be pretty locked in that at least 1 flex = LB, so of the proposals so far, I'd be most in favor of adding a 5th LB to everyone's starting lineup.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Yeah, it seems like an extra LB slot is the way to go.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Yes - add 1 or 2 LB slots... I know I'm skipping out - but LB is so deep that it's already your flex most of time. Last year we really needed it as well which is why I''d push for adding 2 LB slots - but at least add 1.

You're adding 16 LBs for 12 teams so even adding 1 slot you're still not as deep as last year at the position. Then add in the ones that got started at flex and even adding 2 slots isn't going to change much.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
An extra LB slot seems the way to go to me.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

I'd be in favor of whatever isn't a linebacker slot just to make things ever so slightly more chaotic. I've never played IDP though so I may be completely wrong in my impression of what would be chaotic.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
How are we deciding draft order?

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Randomized by ESPN.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
:siren: draft is TONIGHT - see you at 10 eastern :siren:

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Oh wow, I almost forgot that today was Thursday and the draft was today as a result.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
We did it guys! It went pretty quick too. Now lets hate our teams together!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I have no clue what I just did.

Without a doubt, my biggest problem last year was that waivers cleared on a different day than my normal league and I kept forgetting to set them in time. I'm not sure if it's a Yahoo/ESPN difference but I'll be on top of it this season since waiver claims will make or break teams.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I'm sure my team is terrible

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

I have no Browns...but I don't have any Pats or loving Ravens. As of now I am neutral to my team.

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Note to self: don't take any evening naps. Thanks autodraft for giving me a million safeties, and only giving me backups for that position and defensive end. Seriously, no backup linebackers?

EDIT: Oh lord it's still nagging me. I did make some claims, but please, someone trade me a linebacker or two. I'm willing to consider offers for pretty much any player that got autodrafted to my team, except for Reshad Jones.

GVOLTT fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Oh wow, ESPN has IDP projections this year. This is great, last year I had to use a weird Firefox extension to scrape projections from other sites onto ESPN. Said extension no longer works, so this is much appreciated.

• Locked thread