Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

never heard about that one. intradesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

2016 year of linux on the mainframe

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

carry on then posted:

2016 year of linux on the mainframe

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

if you flip it on the side, you can use it as a bed

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

by "in the past" do you mean "a decade ago when desktops used software rendering".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Advanced_Rasterization_Platform

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have had some flavor of unix on the desktop since 2000-ish -- freebsd, solaris, linux etc. not coincidentally nearly all of my jobs have been unix shops

my goondolences

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mike12345 posted:

if you flip it on the side, you can use it as a bed
maybe in the winter

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
meanwhile, using nvidia optimus via PRIME and modesetting just works. if nvidia can get this poo poo working with upstream kernel drivers, why the hell can't you produce a usable ddx driver, intel

:argh:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
in other news, this bids good times for linux gamers/steamos users out there

optimus on linux just got good enough for actual usage: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/957814/linux/prime-and-prime-synchronization/

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

i guess thats one way to increase your polycount

burning swine
May 26, 2004

linux still bad

my last intel driver on linux experience was trying to get dual monitors working with one monitor hooked up to an nvidia card and the other hooked up to the intel gpu

couldn't make it work any way other than running 2 xorg servers, which was dog poo poo garbage

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I draw the line in the cheeto dust and toss the poopsock before the feet of tyranny, and I say linux now, linux tomorrow, linux forever

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

linux still bad

my last intel driver on linux experience was trying to get dual monitors working with one monitor hooked up to an nvidia card and the other hooked up to the intel gpu

gently caress i would never attempt that

burning swine
May 26, 2004

as a windows user, it never even occurred to me that doing that might be a problem

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

linux still bad

couldn't make it work any way other than running 2 xorg servers, which was dog poo poo garbage

I think it's possible to make that work now with xrandr fuckery:

code:
RandR version 1.4 options
       Options for RandR 1.4 are used as a superset of the options for RandR 1.3.

--listproviders
              Report information about the providers available.

--setprovideroutputsource provider source
              Set source as the source of display output images for provider.  This is only possible if source and provider have the Source Output and Sink Output capabilities, respec-
              tively.  If source is 0x0, then provider is disconnected from its current output source.

--setprovideroffloadsink provider sink
              Set provider as a render offload device for sink.  This is only possible if provider and sink have the Source Offload and Sink  Offload  capabilities,  respectively.   If
              sink is 0x0, then provider is disconnected from its current render offload sink.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
If you're using nvidias blob driver, you'll have to use the modesetting x11 ddx on the intel device with accelmethod none... that nvidia link I pasted earlier has an example xorg.conf that works. if you don't do that, you'll have two different glx drivers (intel mesa and nvidia-drivers) which both tries to give you opengl capabilities

year of linux on the desktop

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

linux still bad

this works fine but only if you manually configure Xorg

burning swine
May 26, 2004

let me know when things improve to the point that I can just plug them in and they work

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The X Window System

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this works fine but only if you manually configure Xorg

lol what loving year is it?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lol, 2016 and you still have to gently caress with xorg settings just to get a desktop to show up. give it a few more decades and linux will catch up with windows95

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

At work, I use the Linux via ssh from my Windows computer. Works great!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Citizen Tayne posted:

I used Linux on the desktop from 1996 to 2006 or so

I started making plans to start a company to produce desktop Linux workstations with their own distribution in 1999

then I spent some time actually trying to use, manage, and improve desktop Linux and thought better of it

(Linus attitude about how it was totally OK to break binary-only SCSI drivers between kernel 2.0.x releases was the straw that broke the camel's back though)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the only good amiga was the one that ran unix

wrong, it was the one that was entirely unapologetic about being nothing more than a game machine

quote:

lots of pixels for an A3000UX, I've only ever seen one run at 640x480

also lol that they used the black/white/orange/blue garbage colors in X11 too

eschaton fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 26, 2016

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

as a windows user, it never even occurred to me that doing that might be a problem

as a Mac user, my system swaps between integrated and discrete GPUs seamlessly based on workload

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

eschaton posted:

I started making plans to start a company to produce desktop Linux workstations with their own distribution in 1999

then I spent some time actually trying to use, manage, and improve desktop Linux and thought better of it

(Linus attitude about how it was totally OK to break binary-only SCSI drivers between kernel 2.0.x releases was the straw that broke the camel's back though)

I liked the idea of using a boring desktop and hooking thin terminals up to it for basic office usage, however it turns out X.org has a completely broken back buffer such that neither Firefox or OpenOffice can run without desktops having HDD sized storage for paging. Wayland is the fix for that but the apps would need to stop using the X11 APIs too.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
is wayland a real thing or will it never actually work?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

The Management posted:

it's real and it's happening

Apr 7, 2003

Remember Berlin? That was a real thing that was going to happen, too.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it's real and it's happening

but seriously though or like gnu hurd?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
its real and works really well, tried it on fedora but since upgrading fedora 23 to 24 have not be cause nvidia doesn't officially support it for now, to have it work with nvidia you have to recompile something and i can't be bothered for now.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I didn't understand that sentence but I gathered there was some janitoring involved so typical Linux definition of working.

Apr 7, 2003

Celexi posted:

tried on fedora

Hmmm

burning swine
May 26, 2004

come on wayland

I look forward to being able to lock my workstation when there's a menu open on my screen

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The Management posted:

Forget it, Jake. It's Linuxtown.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

come on wayland

I look forward to being able to lock my workstation when there's a menu open on my screen

how is jwz reacting to the people asking for wscreensaver

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Management posted:

I didn't understand that sentence but I gathered there was some janitoring involved so typical Linux definition of working.

most distributions are only shipping it as an experimental/beta option, yeah. they still ship xorg as the default non-janitor option though. one of the main issues is that software has to be ported to it in order to take advantage of its new features, otherwise it will be running through an X compatibility mode. so like, all the machinery of the big desktop environments (GTK, Qt, all that stuff) has to be ported over

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

don't forget the wayland repeats the fundamental mistake of X-Windows in not implementing a single standard widget set that all the APIs just use

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

eschaton posted:

don't forget the wayland repeats the fundamental mistake of X-Windows in not implementing a single standard widget set that all the APIs just use

was there ever an argument whether it should have one, or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
so it is in theory working but nothing uses it so it may as well not exist. got it.

• Locked thread