Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ted_Haggard posted:

Your link to the Ace Combat 2 LP doesn't work (or the LP didn't go up)

I haven't submitted AC2 for the Archive yet. The link is pointing to where the Archive version will be eventually. It should be up before we're done with 04... Hopefully. I've got the first round of bonus footage for Assault Horizon Legacy from Trizophenie recently, so things are starting to come together. But only when the AHL bonus video goes online is the Ace Combat 2 LP going to be considered "done" and ready for archiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Welp, this LP made me nostalgic to play AC04 and Zero again. Turns out my PS2 won't read either anymore, and my version of the ps3 can't run ps2 software. Looks like I'm playing vicariously through the OP.

EDIT: managed to get lucky jamming the straw of a compressed air can deep down in the disc drive. Mobius 1/my ps2 lives again!

rocket_man38 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 1, 2016

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Psion posted:

He's got it a little mixed up there - the F-35B is the V/STOL version, the F-35C is the naval carrier-capable version. But, yes, I would have loved to have seen how they managed to make the F-35B doing hover tricks and poo poo into an Ace Combat mission.

I wonder if anyone has modded a hovering F-35B into the helicopter missions on the PC version.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
As far as I know no - either AH isn't very moddable or nobody cares to find out. I imagine it's both.

It's too bad - I'd love to mod the DLC plane selection into campaign. Like, keep the class restrictions per mission sure whatever, but if the mission allows fighters and multirole, let me pick any, not just the ones in the 1.0 launch.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
William Bishop being Travis Touchdown in a plane would be pretty cool.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

NobleSixFour posted:

I wonder if anyone has modded a hovering F-35B into the helicopter missions on the PC version.

This would be so ridiculous I'm totally behind it

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Psion posted:

As far as I know no - either AH isn't very moddable or nobody cares to find out. I imagine it's both.

It's too bad - I'd love to mod the DLC plane selection into campaign. Like, keep the class restrictions per mission sure whatever, but if the mission allows fighters and multirole, let me pick any, not just the ones in the 1.0 launch.

I'd like the ability to pick my wingmen's planes, or at the very least force them to match mine. It feels weird when I want to fly a Tomcat but the mission is scripted for everyone else to be flying Raptors.

E: This goes for Zero, too. I get that the Solo Wing F-15C was a crucial part of Pixy's identity, and the reveal of the Morgan with the red wing wouldn't have work without it, but at least on a new game+?

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah. It's like, you know what else locks that in? HAWX. And you don't want to be like HAWX.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

I think the point where I decided that the Tom Clancy name/brand meant absolutely dick-all was when I fired up the HAWX demo and noticed that the MiG-29 and Su-27 were called Mig-29 and SU-27, respectively. Holy loving poo poo, you guys didn't even bother to spend three seconds with a Jane's Guide to Airplanes? or Wikipedia?

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 1, 2016

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
In HAWX2 they do get the Su-27 part right, but then in the second to last mission there are a few Terminators that bounce you and they're labeled SU-27. ?!?!?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
How's HAWX like as a game? how does it compare to AC? Are there any games/franchises like AC?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hackbunny posted:

How's HAWX like as a game? how does it compare to AC? Are there any games/franchises like AC?

See for yourself in the LP.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
If you want a good comparison of HAWX and AC, I'd recommend watching Cooked Auto's LPs on Youtube. Unfortunately they're not complete because he replaced the BGM and that got some of the videos flagged and taken down, but they're still an excellent look at the games not only next to AC but on their own terms as well.

In terms of other franchises besides those two, I did buy Air Force Delta: Strike along with my PS2 because the vendor didn't have any PS2 ACs on him and I needed something to tide me over until the Amazon order arrived. I haven't played it since the AC games arrived, so my impressions are not the best gauge you could have, but it definitely seems to have a bit of the zaniness that makes AC what it is, with what appear to be some RPG elements added in. You also get piston planes! And the back of the box had a screengrab that looked like an F-15 of some sort with the entire literal Earth in its rearview mirror, so it might be even more over the top, I don't know, I never got that far.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Ugh, it looks so cheap and dull. Also is that really the game's soundtrack?! e: ah-ha of course not

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
Yep! Budget-title as gently caress. At least JASF still looks worse.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

the only good things about HAWX were the intro videos Cooked Auto made and the Crenshaw Counter

...so basically that LP and nothing else

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

NobleSixFour posted:

If you want a good comparison of HAWX and AC, I'd recommend watching Cooked Auto's LPs on Youtube. Unfortunately they're not complete because he replaced the BGM and that got some of the videos flagged and taken down, but they're still an excellent look at the games not only next to AC but on their own terms as well.

None of them has actually been taken down. They are just heavily restricted. I really should just get around to getting a new Dailymotion account and upload them there.
I would want to almost redo the thing but I don't have a DVD drive and the games are have just outright vanished.

NobleSixFour posted:

Yep! Budget-title as gently caress. At least JASF still looks worse.

A friend of mine streamed JASF a couple of years ago and while it was kind of bad it had a strange tongue in cheek humour to it occasionally as if the writers were really aware at how bad the game was and just decided to have some fun.
At one point you're assisting a bunch of spec ops guys in assault an objective and after being introduced to the team over the radio your pilot character casually goes "Hello below" to them. Which made us chuckle.

Psion posted:

the only good things about HAWX were the intro videos Cooked Auto made and the Crenshaw Counter

...so basically that LP and nothing else

Eh, I could argue that both games has their moments (which I have done before) but they're kind of lost in a sea of drudgery and boredom. Or in an abundance of gimmicks as is the case with 2.

hackbunny posted:

Ugh, it looks so cheap and dull. Also is that really the game's soundtrack?! e: ah-ha of course not

No it really really isn't. :cheeky: You want to hear the actual HAWX soundtrack?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX7cawMPpLY&list=PLXSaJ1VYkIYuAHRb-GqhjcAPL9Mw7xlWE
Knock yourself out.
Here's HAWX 2's soundtrack as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voD2fpUtyIU&list=PLXSaJ1VYkIYusnd_oq4obUabkxeUbhR1p

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

Eh, I could argue that both games has their moments (which I have done before) but they're kind of lost in a sea of drudgery and boredom. Or in an abundance of gimmicks as is the case with 2.

I agree. Like, the OFF mode (at least in the first game) makes air-to-air combat SO MUCH FUN once you figure it out. On a console, anyway.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

NobleSixFour posted:

I agree. Like, the OFF mode (at least in the first game) makes air-to-air combat SO MUCH FUN once you figure it out. On a console, anyway.

I dunno, OFF mode was like the thing I rarely used because if you check the videos where I use it, in this case OFF Certification and Typhoon you'll notice that I keep flying very weirdly mostly because the controls act odd while in OFF mode.

Hard to explain I guess but the best way I can put it is that the game seems to remove any real reference point you have for flying which makes things far too annoying for me to readily enjoy or find manageable except when necessary.

I mean I didn't really use OFF mode in 2 at all except I think as a brief showcase during the Wave mode video. Mostly because the changed AI made it kind of worse and it was just better to fly normally and follow the predictable AI that way instead of dealing with the zoomed out camera and funky controls.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As a really basic Ace Combat clone I actually really liked HAWX. However the sequel made some weird changes to the weapons, plane loadouts, and how the planes handled that really threw me off. I couldn't get used to it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

As a really basic Ace Combat clone I actually really liked HAWX. However the sequel made some weird changes to the weapons, plane loadouts, and how the planes handled that really threw me off. I couldn't get used to it.

Yeah, 1 is really trying hard at places to wanting to be Ace Combat. The Rio level in particular has all the elements of it, complete with Ace Squadron and everything. but it almost seems like it was a demo level they just wanted to add since that doesn't appear anywhere else in the game.

In all fairness I liked the expanded arsenal in 2 and the customizing function for it. Even if the preset loadouts were trash and could actively gently caress you over at some parts if you picked the wrong kind of aircraft.

I mean the biggest issue I had with 2 was as I mentioned before, that weird need to have gimmicks for a lot of the levels like the UAV sections. Granted, 1 also had its fair share of gimmicks but they never felt as intrusive as the ones in 2. Defending a zone was never really that hard once you got the hand of it or grabbed the right kind of AtG weapons. The ones in 2 were easy but just mostly annoying. Even the AC-130 level was just boring and lacked any interesting flavour to it. Something which I thought ACAH did well.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016
My biggest beef with HAWX2 is honestly kind of a minor thing but still so very annoying. When you play the fleet defense mission in free mission mode, there's a bug that skips the loadout selection screen so you just immediately launch with whatever the last loadout you used with your selected plane was.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

Just tried AH. Dear God what a mess. Not a fan of DFM. I think I just wasted 19.99 because I was curious.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It frontloads all the bad missions, so you can either do a steam refund or push through to mission 6, where it starts being consistently good and continues; after 8 is where it's very good.

like I'm not gonna pretend to defend the opening of AH as good because it frontloads the worst missions and the most egregiously bad scripted TGT_LEAD DFMs, that poo poo's a one-two punch I totally understand hating. It makes up for it and then some in the back half, though. And then the final bossfight, wellllll let's just concentrate on the world's best QTE instead

hot tip: play Oil Field in an F-4, pretend you are playing Area 88 in HD.

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 2, 2016

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

NobleSixFour posted:

My biggest beef with HAWX2 is honestly kind of a minor thing but still so very annoying. When you play the fleet defense mission in free mission mode, there's a bug that skips the loadout selection screen so you just immediately launch with whatever the last loadout you used with your selected plane was.

Hah, so that's why picking nothing but the Harrier is kind of pointless on that map. I know I ranted about it on the video at least but had no idea it was actually a bug. Also I thought it just grabbed it's primary loadout in this case rather than doing that.

Psion posted:

like I'm not gonna pretend to defend the opening of AH as good because it frontloads the worst missions and the most egregiously bad scripted TGT_LEAD DFMs, that poo poo's a one-two punch I totally understand hating. It makes up for it and then some in the back half, though. And then the final bossfight, wellllll let's just concentrate on the world's best QTE instead

Yeah I left at the prelude to that and even that fight is annoying as all hell marred by ACAHs slightly restrictive flight model. Unless I missed something with the settings. Which are surprisingly hard to configure when the game thinks your joystick is a gamepad. :v:

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Cooked Auto posted:

Hah, so that's why picking nothing but the Harrier is kind of pointless on that map. I know I ranted about it on the video at least but had no idea it was actually a bug. Also I thought it just grabbed it's primary loadout in this case rather than doing that.

That might be it also. I honestly don't care about it that much to figure out which it is, since it makes the mission drat near unplayable either way.

Also, Assault Horizon does suck in a lot of ways, but at least you can do both an inside and an outside High-G turn.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Upon rewatching crow's latest video one thing did occur to me: I say every AC game would be better with 04's briefing track.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

After Mission 12 it gets a kickin' remix.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Psion posted:

Upon rewatching crow's latest video one thing did occur to me: I say every AC game would be better with 04's briefing track.

That's why they brought it back for infinity.

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

Psion posted:

Yup. I've had that track on my mp3/Ipod/etc. for years now. That and "Zero" from AC0.

EDIT: Completely forgot about Puddle of Mudd being on the AC05 soundtrack. How did they make it to Strangereal?

rocket_man38 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 2, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

rocket_man38 posted:

Yup. I've had that track on my mp3/Ipod/etc. for years now. That and "Zero" from AC0.

EDIT: Completely forgot about Puddle of Mudd being on the AC05 soundtrack. How did they make it to Strangereal?

Blurry is used for the story trailer for AC5, and it's heard in a cutscene very briefly. Chopper's seen listening to it on his downtime between missions. Someone at Project Aces liked the song, I guess.

I'm reminded of that scene from the Flash/Supergirl crossover last year where they're comparing the differences between their universe. "Oh, you guys have Mariah Carrey here too."

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Blurry is used for the story trailer for AC5, and it's heard in a cutscene very briefly. Chopper's seen listening to it on his downtime between missions. Someone at Project Aces liked the song, I guess.

I'm reminded of that scene from the Flash/Supergirl crossover last year where they're comparing the differences between their universe. "Oh, you guys have Mariah Carrey here too."

Pretty much ya. I can imagine the poor Balkan scientist who opened the door to another dimension only to hear Blurry. "We are cutting your funding, we need to build the XB-0."

EDIT: I'm playing my old ac0 save and I noticed my su 37 has pac mans and ghosts underneath the name. What does that mean?

rocket_man38 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 3, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

The little hash marks underneath the name correspond to how many kills you have with that particular plane. After a certain amount they turn into Pac-Men . It's just a silly reference that doesn't really mean anything.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Back to important matters:

Missions 04 to 06: Megafloat, Scramble, Target Acquisition

Part 02: No Pals in PAL (wingman: Lunethex)

We meet a new recurring character and protect her from unwanted advances. Unfortunately our chivalrous act has left us scrambling through the rain on the way home. Curse that Neuwork! As payback, we'll blow up a bunch of stuff belonging to them. We then get a gig as a photographer! Things are really looking up for our character, whatever their name is.

Analysing the video itself, you can see the text looks a little more readable in the menu. This is the video that inexplicably got recorded at actual PAL resolution. And as a result, it also means that all the mission UI is fuzzy and, in the source footage, super jittery, thanks to the frame rate. This is the only video that will look like this, thankfully.

One of the major gameplay differences between versions is the lack of teammates in the international version. Mission 05, Scramble, is the first instance of that being an issue when shooting for the highest rank in a level. An A-rank typically involves beating the level within the operational window and blowing up a certain number of extra targets, and without buddies to shoot at and distract the other planes, it makes it very difficult with any plane that shoots less than four missiles at once. (Also I'm pretty sure missiles in this version track less aggressively than they did in the original)

Megan Float is one of the cute popular girls at the University for Study of Engineering and Aviation. She's not really interested in a romantic relationship with anyone at the moment, but that nerdy kid Neumann keeps on trying to get her to go out with him, despite her insistence that she's not interested. Guy just won't take a hint. And by "a hint" I mean "a direct no". Fortunately her real friends are usually able to help drive him away.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Lunethex, in that Assault Horizon mission you don't fly an AC-130: you fly the B-1B Lancer, one of the coolest and most under-represented supersonic bombers still in active service and one of the reasons it's not a bad game. :colbert:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

radintorov posted:

Lunethex, in that Assault Horizon mission you don't fly an AC-130: you fly the B-1B Lancer, one of the coolest and most under-represented supersonic bombers still in active service and one of the reasons it's not a bad game. :colbert:

Pretty sure you can switch between the B1 and the B2 in that bomber mission actually.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Pretty sure you can switch between the B1 and the B2 in that bomber mission actually.
Yeah, if you want to you can use the B-2 as well, but I seem to recall that it has worse handling and the B-1B is the default pick.
Besides I like the Lancer better. :v:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

radintorov posted:

This is what you fly. I just refer to every every gunship as an AC-130 because people who used hacks in Call of Duty grief videos had infinite ammo on it and flooded the map in 105mm cannon fire so I think it's funny to always call them AC-130s.

I know for a fact I was flying this thing under the radar in a night time mission through canyons and pulling off sick, impossible turns.

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 3, 2016

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Lunethex posted:

I know for a fact I was flying this thing under the radar in a night time mission through canyons and pulling off sick, impossible turns.

That is still the bomber mission though. The AC-130 mission only has you in the gunner seat throughout the whole thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am0I8FoSfgQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmxVp1_EAi4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Lunethex posted:

Nope. Cooked Auto is right.

also using the custom paint editor to turn your B-1 all-white and call it a Blackjack is the pro move. Confuse everyone.