Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
How do you feel about some posters that have rap sheets that are about 2 pages long. I can think of one that posts in games, and I often find it hilarious to just look at their rap sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Why is being Bum the Sad against the rules?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This one is for ZDR, did you purge fishmech from the ignore lists when you somebody(I really do not know) made him an IK in C-SPAM? Because that might have been the result.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

For any former mods/admins reading, do you find it difficult to transition back into 'normal poster' status now that you've seen behind the curtain, so to speak?

Also this isn't a question but FAU/VideoGames the work you guys put into Games has really paid off and the culture as a whole in that subforum is way better than it used to be.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

For any former mods/admins reading, do you find it difficult to transition back into 'normal poster' status now that you've seen behind the curtain, so to speak?
Not really, but I stepped down on my own terms. Mods that melted down or went out amidst some sort of drama probably have a tougher time reverting to normal posting and probably just switch to parachutes. Otherwise I think a lot of former mods and admins just leave entirely due to waning personal interest.

I still like posting but just didn't feel like I had the desire to keep janitoring the forums after like 9 years. Someone else can do it just as well or better :)

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Someone Awful! posted:

why do you favor gassing threads over punishing posters?

Sometimes I do both. Sometimes it seems that certain threads are just poo poo magnets and need to die.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

genesplicer posted:

Sometimes I do both. Sometimes it seems that certain threads are just poo poo magnets and need to die.

I agree with you on the poo poo magnet thing, but they happen because of the bad posters. And you should give them long probations.

How much time do you mods spend on the mod forums just shooting poo poo compared to the amount you spend posting on the rest of the forums?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

How do you feel about some posters that have rap sheets that are about 2 pages long. I can think of one that posts in games, and I often find it hilarious to just look at their rap sheet.
What's punishable changes, how frequently some posters get probated changes. I don't worry about someone's rap sheet over the years, just their recent stuff when making decisions. I want to know if someone is a problem now, not whether they were or the mods disliked them in the past. Lots of good posters have long rap sheets just because they've been around a long time and used to get probated a lot.

Hogge Wild posted:

How much time do you mods spend on the mod forums just shooting poo poo compared to the amount you spend posting on the rest of the forums?
Not a lot. There just aren't enough mods and things don't move quickly enough in the mod forum. There's a couple threads that get a handful of posts in a day but it's not super active.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also this isn't a question but FAU/VideoGames the work you guys put into Games has really paid off and the culture as a whole in that subforum is way better than it used to be.
Kewpuh deserves a lot of credit for this. Games had the same rules as new-GBS for years with Kewpuh as mod, but without all of GBS' problems. Kewpuh helped establish a successful rules-light gaming forum, which is difficult to do anywhere. VideoGames and I have refined and built on that - the biggest thing we've done is move a couple problem threads out of Games.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Kewpuh deserves a lot of credit for this. Games had the same rules as new-GBS for years with Kewpuh as mod, but without all of GBS' problems. Kewpuh helped establish a successful rules-light gaming forum, which is difficult to do anywhere. VideoGames and I have refined and built on that - the biggest thing we've done is move a couple problem threads out of Games.

That's true and I certainly didn't meant to downplay all of Kewpuh's excellent work.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

No, except that my PM boxes are full with hundreds (thousands?) of PMs since mods don't have limits on that, so now I can't be PMed because I can't be bothered to delete them.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Congrats Facts Are Useless on your red icon. Live the dream

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

FactsAreUseless posted:

Not a lot. There just aren't enough mods and things don't move quickly enough in the mod forum. There's a couple threads that get a handful of posts in a day but it's not super active.
So that's a big change. The mod forum used to be pretty chatty.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

So that's a big change. The mod forum used to be pretty chatty.
I mean there's talk, but it's still confined to two threads. I think people talk a lot more on Steam or Discord or by PMs and stuff now.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

I hate it when I want to ban someone and don't have the button anymore

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
How are word filters determined and implemented?

What's the threshold for sending a PM to a mod versus using the report button, just individual preference? Also, are most reports for legitimate issues or are they cases of people just getting annoyed at other posters?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Shoren posted:

How are word filters determined and implemented?

What's the threshold for sending a PM to a mod versus using the report button, just individual preference? Also, are most reports for legitimate issues or are they cases of people just getting annoyed at other posters?

"Is it funny?" seems to be the overriding criteria.

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Tread Carefully,
lest thou rouse the
Coupons Dragon
Grimey Drawer

I don't really see it as an issue. There are a few threads I'm active in, in a few subforums, but the only place I act like a Mod is in SA-Mart. I guess ask me again when I'm a former.

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

Shoren posted:

What's the threshold for sending a PM to a mod versus using the report button, just individual preference?

i think it's personal preference/forum volume. i prefer to get pms because I get emails right away but I only check reports a couple of times a day. But we're a tiny forum and my method totally works for us.

I'd imagine mods of bigger forums prefer reports because managing that many pms would get crazy

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

FluffieDuckie posted:

i think it's personal preference/forum volume. i prefer to get pms because I get emails right away but I only check reports a couple of times a day. But we're a tiny forum and my method totally works for us.

I'd imagine mods of bigger forums prefer reports because managing that many pms would get crazy

This sounds right -- I definitely prefer PMs but that's because my forum is really small and by the time I notice a report usually the issue has resolved itself. But holy poo poo yeah don't PM a GBS mod every time you see a bad post. The servers would probably melt.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I like reports for individual bad posts, and PMs when a thread or poster is being a problem. Sometimes context beyond what's available in a report is nice, and there are lots of times a thread just needs a mod to step in and tell people to stop being morons.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Reports are awesome for the threads I do not read.
PMs are a great way of me being able to respond to questions/greiviances/poster issues with more of a dialogue behind my own thoughts and feelings. The same goes for emails (for those who don't have platinum.)

The best way to draw attention to something is just to contact us in some way, be that PMs or Reports. Really the biggest and best thing I think of it honest direct communication with us all. That's why this thread is excellent. Questions and queries with policies you might have can be answered if asked. I will respond to every PM I get with as much detail as needed. Especially if you think I've done something strange or want to know why one thing garnered more of a punishment than anything else.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Can you show us pictures of what the forums look like to you guys? What's it look like when you probate someone?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk2E1CoGe98

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What's the time investment like and how do you guys deal with it? Do most of you just have desk jobs and browse the forums while working, or are you only on during certain hours, etc?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Control Volume posted:

What's the time investment like and how do you guys deal with it? Do most of you just have desk jobs and browse the forums while working, or are you only on during certain hours, etc?
It helps it mods are accessible a fair portion of the day but the workload is small. Every forum has multiple mods in case an issue needs solving immediately.

I am always on because I am a crazy person.

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Tread Carefully,
lest thou rouse the
Coupons Dragon
Grimey Drawer
I always have access through my phone, so it's pretty easy to handle pms and things that may require immediate attention.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Is there a chart available for how fast GBS mods burn out vs those of other mains/subs?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Kazvall posted:

Is there a chart available for how fast GBS mods burn out vs those of other mains/subs?

sex parrot picked me, but he was shsc for ~6+ years before he turned in his hat.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CrazyLittle posted:

sex parrot picked me, but he was shsc for ~6+ years before he turned in his hat.
I think it was 9

:v:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Kazvall posted:

Why would anybody make a chart like that?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shine posted:

Why would anybody make a chart like that?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Because there's a website where ocd goons compile all the history of SA. Figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. :D

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
no mods no masters

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Dear President TIA,

Please change my avatar to the following:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140209162456/http://www.majhost.com/gallery/NoBullet/TF2/t2.gif

TIA

Also, serious question, who or what is tia?

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
How would someone go about modding GBS?

I don't see any way to differentiate between posts, they're all relatively even in terms of quality. Also, I'm not sure how any particular post could make a thread worse.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Orange Sunshine posted:

How would someone go about modding GBS?

I don't see any way to differentiate between posts, they're all relatively even in terms of quality. Also, I'm not sure how any particular post could make a thread worse.

maybe try posting there once in a while to get a feel for it then come back here and spout off about your findings

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

maybe try posting there once in a while to get a feel for it then come back here and spout off about your findings

I have, which of course led to my question.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

you have literally never posted in GBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

you have literally never posted in GBS

Other than the posts I have made there, this is 100% true.

• Locked thread