Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
that's the unlucky number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Avshalom posted:

hello, friends. have any of you ever known love?
I've been with the same woman for three years now, but I'm probably going to have to switch hands.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
What happened to Mod Challenges? havent seen one in a bit at least in GBS anyways... GBS mods too busy for shenanigans?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SneakyFrog posted:

What happened to Mod Challenges? havent seen one in a bit at least in GBS anyways... GBS mods too busy for shenanigans?
They just rewarded terrible posters with more attention.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
which mods have dated each other?

does the mod forum sex structure look like this:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Not a typo lmao

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

zen death robot posted:

None that I'm aware of other than Mrs and Mrs Lowtax
None other currently that I know of, but there were at least 4 or 5 pairings a long time back

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How often do admins not approve mod requests for bans? And why?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vegetable posted:

How often do admins not approve mod requests for bans? And why?
The only mod I routinely don't approve stuff for is D. Smart. And he's not a real mod anyway.

Other admins might do it more though. I don't think it's common. If a mod's unsure about a ban they'll usually ask first.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Does D Smart ever get approved? It would be incredibly strange to see people get banned for posting in that hellish subforum outside of a purge.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

how many people has D.Smart requested bans for, ballpark figure?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

how many people has D.Smart requested bans for, ballpark figure?
He likes to put in month probations for people who make fun of him.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Isn't that literally everyone in the Star Citizen thread though?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

zen death robot posted:

I don't know if we have any stats goons on the admin/mod team

but ...how does lowtax get the analytics, cant do like business stuff without synergy and analytics...

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

FactsAreUseless posted:

He likes to put in month probations for people who make fun of him.

he hasn't worked out that he's the punchline then

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pendent posted:

Does D Smart ever get approved? It would be incredibly strange to see people get banned for posting in that hellish subforum outside of a purge.
I figure that subforum has to be a honeypot like the old furry one where everyone who's posted in it will be banned at a set future date

FluffieDuckie
May 11, 2005

SneakyFrog posted:

but ...how does lowtax get the analytics, cant do like business stuff without synergy and analytics...

we used to have analytics but they broke

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Why do you hate GBS? Is it a requirement for becoming a mod?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Hob_Gadling posted:

Why do you hate GBS? Is it a requirement for becoming a mod?

I'm mad that the racists and bigots are being oppressed! Why can't I express my desire for Islamic genocide on these forums without being probated for it?

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Is Deadmau5 still an admin?

Also, what is the policy on de-activating accounts of dead goons? Do you request death certificate photos or something less morbid?

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
Except ZDR and Garbage Day, do admins get paid?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

H.H posted:

Except ZDR and Garbage Day, do admins get paid?
Nope!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Will you ever consider bringing back No Probation Day/Blood Purge?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Since mods have generally been fairly kind to me, how many reports (rule of thumb) does it take before I get a probation? Before I get a ban?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Woolie Wool posted:

Those things tend to work better when your forum is not already slowly dying.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Shbobdb posted:

Since mods have generally been fairly kind to me, how many reports (rule of thumb) does it take before I get a probation? Before I get a ban?
Zero.

The purpose of a report is to draw a mod's attention to a trouble spot they may or may not have been aware of. If a bad post is actionable, there's no prerequisit number of reports it has to generate before we do something about it, though what we do may not take the form of a probation.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Bad Seafood posted:

Zero.

The purpose of a report is to draw a mod's attention to a trouble spot they may or may not have been aware of. If a bad post is actionable, there's no prerequisit number of reports it has to generate before we do something about it, though what we do may not take the form of a probation.

I wasn't asking for a hypothetical. I was asking for a retrospective.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Ah, my bad.

I've talked with people who thought there was a report prerequisite before.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Woolie Wool posted:

As fun as it is to ban a bunch of people we don't like, it doesn't actually do much for the forums.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What are the stats on thread votes? Does anyone really read a thread and say to themselves "hmm...this thread is not quite a 4...perhaps a 3 if I'm being generous"? Or does everyone just click either "1" or "5"? What percentage of posters vote on threads? Is it the same people voting over and over again?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Your Gay Uncle posted:

What are the stats on thread votes? Does anyone really read a thread and say to themselves "hmm...this thread is not quite a 4...perhaps a 3 if I'm being generous"? Or does everyone just click either "1" or "5"? What percentage of posters vote on threads? Is it the same people voting over and over again?

It's usually 5 or 1 votes. I always get a kick out of the spite 1 votes. Like for a while there was someone who just went through and voted 1 on every thread in GiP. Even the "hey don't kill yourself, here's some resources" thread.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Why did you guys accept being mods/admins, and are there any inherent perks of being a mod / former mod or admin besides the forum cop powers?

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Tread Carefully,
lest thou rouse the
Coupons Dragon
Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

Why did you guys accept being mods/admins, and are there any inherent perks of being a mod / former mod or admin besides the forum cop powers?

In the beginning it was nice to help out and since I was selling a fair amount of stuff in SA-Mart it didn't really take much extra time. Now I'm semi retired and time isn't much of an issue. As far as perks I'll stick a buy/selling thread in the mart if an mod/admin is selling something, but that's pretty rare.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Skoll posted:

I really like these forums a lot. Mods also get free plat, can give out free titles, etc., but I just did it because I like SA. The biggest benefit to being an admin isn't the admin powers, it's being able to help direct stuff and guide things on the forums by talking to mods and posters and etc. Hence why I made this thread and have taken on QCS stuff.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

FactsAreUseless posted:

I really like these forums a lot. Mods also get free plat, can give out free titles, etc., but I just did it because I like SA. The biggest benefit to being an admin isn't the admin powers, it's being able to help direct stuff and guide things on the forums by talking to mods and posters and etc. Hence why I made this thread and have taken on QCS stuff.

free plat? well no wonder everyone's clamoring to be made a mod

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

free plat? well no wonder everyone's clamoring to be made a mod
I don't think anyone's been made a mod without plat though.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Could we possibly have another Hot Dog Day?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

zen death robot posted:

Coding for the site sort of requires it and I actually don't mind doing nice things for people like fixing typos in custom titles, or making a forum more fun by some crazy background for a while. The other stuff is just something that someone eventually would need to do in order to keep the site from being an unreadable pit.

Also google doesn't allow NWS images on subforums that have ad code so that's a pretty big deal. Technically they don't like "hate speech" stuff much either but the bots pick up on nude stuff faster so there's an interest in protecting the meager revenue stream that keeps the site alive.

How does that work? Does Google not give revenue if it scans that a goon used a certain banned word or something or pictures of breasts?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I better clean up my act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bill NYSE posted:

Could we possibly have another Hot Dog Day?
I don't remember this.

• Locked thread