Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Does that dealership not make their salesguys wear billowing dress shirts and bad ties?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Does that dealership not make their salesguys wear billowing dress shirts and bad ties?

Guess they are not "neck tie" men

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You should troll that guy. For science.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Show up wearing five or six neckties and say you want to buy some titles.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

Show up wearing five or six neckties and say you want to buy some salvage titles.

ftfy

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Safety Dance posted:

Show up wearing five or six neckties and say you want to buy some titles.

God yes

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think trying to buy an Altima should be an AI posting requirement.

My story is having a new car sales guy tell me that the total payments on a two year lease would be the same as a three year. I asked then why would I turn it in after only two years?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Regarding being refused test drives, it always amused me how getting a test drive for a 1.0 litre Fiesta ecoboost from the local Ford dealer was like pulling teeth, but BMW happily handed over a 3 series to try out even though I had no intention buying one right then and just wanted to see if I liked it.

I liked it very much. This is why my next car will be a 3 series and not a Fiesta or Focus.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I sent in a price request for a 2 series to my local BMW dealer and when they called back they asked me if i wanted to test drive one over the weekend out of the blue. Don't mind if i do. That same dealership has let me test drive most of the BMW lineup, from 1 series hatches to 5 series and x5's (which it was obvious i was not going to buy) without any fuss. I honestly almost feel bad i haven't bought one from them already.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
In my experience (as a 30-something white dude), luxury brand dealership service blows away normal ones.

Lexus/BMW/Audi: test drive whatever, whenever, every floor car is unlocked and they're happy for you to jump in, salesmen hang out at a respectful distance if you aren't in immediate conversation.

Ford/Chev/GMC/Hyundai: salesmen circle you like sharks, halo cars are locked (and sometimes roped off), test drives at the discretion of the fedora wearing nickelback enthusiast who's king of the keys

Although there are always exceptions: at the Hyundai dealership my wife went to to look at a Tucson, the salesman let me flog a FoST from the used lot without supervision :getin:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

DrakeriderCa posted:

In my experience (as a 30-something white dude), luxury brand dealership service blows away normal ones.

Lexus/BMW/Audi: test drive whatever, whenever, every floor car is unlocked and they're happy for you to jump in, salesmen hang out at a respectful distance if you aren't in immediate conversation.

Ford/Chev/GMC/Hyundai: salesmen circle you like sharks, halo cars are locked (and sometimes roped off), test drives at the discretion of the fedora wearing nickelback enthusiast who's king of the keys

Although there are always exceptions: at the Hyundai dealership my wife went to to look at a Tucson, the salesman let me flog a FoST from the used lot without supervision :getin:

I can't speak to the German dealers here but I've had to use the two Lexus dealers here a bunch, and of course the one that's like 40 minutes away is the one with a competent parts department, the ability to get the door my own drat self*, somebody actually working at the in-house cafe that the other dealership advertises the poo poo out of and salesmen who don't literally scoff at my choice of vehicles.
like come on guys most of your sales come from pimped out Camrys and RAV4s you're not Maybach or RR.
Got something else entirely at the Volvo dealership though- went there with serious intent to buy a specific car on their lot and I wasn't even able to talk to anyone. Like, little over half an hour in their showroom and I couldn't find an employee of any sort.
Subaru Calgary needs to be burned to the ground though. They actually tried a loving flyby as a sales tactic on me ffs.

Anyways, I make some delicious ribs last night using my Stainless KONCIS Roasting Pan

*yeah, there's literally someone at Lexus of Calgary who is not the receptionist, whose sole job it is to stand at the front and open the door for every dickhead who walks in. I understand the intent and I'm sure it works on some people but to me it just feels awkward and patronizing.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Audi Edmonton North was awesome. They had an RS7 on the floor unlocked, and my friends and I who clearly had zero interest in buying anything that day (and we told the saleswoman that when we came in) were still offered coffee and told to sit in or grope any car on the property.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I've never been denied test drive, not when I was 18, not now. Not when it was a poverty spec Peugeot 208, not when it was a XC90 T8. Only time a test drive hasn't worked out was when a BMW dealer awkwardly said "yeah, we uh we don't have any demo cars with a manual transmission".

Seems to be the same for bikes, a lot of US people in cycle asylum complain about not getting to test ride, while little old me never had any problems trying out a Superduke. Welcome to Sweden.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I got denied a tests drive on used $8k Nissan Leafs by two different Nissan dealers on the same day.

First one told me that if I wasn't going to buy the car today, they wouldn't open it or let me test drive it, and told me to just "Come back some other time"

Second one tried to make us watch a 10min segment of Final Gear on the Leaf off YouTube, before shushing my girlfriend for asking a question, and telling her in front of me "he must have terrible credit for driving that thing" (my NB Miata). I had been planning on paying cash and they never ran my credit. We just walked out of there.

I have still yet to be able to sit in, let alone drive, a Nissan Leaf.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Beepi review:

Bought a '14 mazda cx5 through beepi and it was a great experience all the way through. I hit the buy button online and had the car delivered 14 days later, the delivery is added to the purchase price but it varies on distance between the seller and buyer.

They do a thorough look over of all the aspects of the car, giving you a diagram and photos of every single ding/dent/scratch inside and out on their "dimple diagram" in the vehicle ad.

Since I had my financing all figured out long before the car arrived, I only spent 5 minutes doing paperwork once I had accepted the delivery of the car. I still have 10 days or 1k miles to decide if I want the car or not (I see no reason why I wouldn't).

I asked the delivery guy a bit about the business model and what the do is offer to only sell relatively new cars. They will give a seller a price, based on an inspection and verification of maintenance records, that they will sell it for them for (minus any fixes the car needs) within 30 days. If the car doesn't sell in 30 days they will buy it from the seller and store it until it is bought.

All in all no drama, no bullshit, competitive price (cheaper than I've typically seen on dealer lots) and they even let me put my down payment on my credit card so I got some free cashback coming to me soon.

The car even came with a nice full front clear bra (not mentioned in the ad) and no holes drilled in the bumper for the license plate.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The guaranteed minimum price really makes that attractive as another option versus Carmax if you have something you would normally trade in, but want more leverage against a trade-in offer on pricing.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

blugu64 posted:

I got denied a tests drive on used $8k Nissan Leafs by two different Nissan dealers on the same day.

First one told me that if I wasn't going to buy the car today, they wouldn't open it or let me test drive it, and told me to just "Come back some other time"

Second one tried to make us watch a 10min segment of Final Gear on the Leaf off YouTube, before shushing my girlfriend for asking a question, and telling her in front of me "he must have terrible credit for driving that thing" (my NB Miata). I had been planning on paying cash and they never ran my credit. We just walked out of there.

I have still yet to be able to sit in, let alone drive, a Nissan Leaf.

Well now you can find a used low mile leaf for peanuts, so jokes on them.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Elephanthead posted:

I think trying to buy an Altima should be an AI posting requirement.

My story is having a new car sales guy tell me that the total payments on a two year lease would be the same as a three year. I asked then why would I turn it in after only two years?

Oh god, hidden camera YouTube show. AIER goes into a dealership to see how much they can get the OTD price to be.

Fuckkkkkkkkkk

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Phone posted:

Oh god, hidden camera YouTube show. AIER goes into a dealership to see how much they can get the OTD price to be.

Fuckkkkkkkkkk

"Hi, my employer gave me 500/mo to buy a car with, what do you recommend?"

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

The guaranteed minimum price really makes that attractive as another option versus Carmax if you have something you would normally trade in, but want more leverage against a trade-in offer on pricing.

Yeah, it would be a good alternative but my impression is that they are more interested in newer cars than carmax, who seem to have a wider range of years of cars.

It's like a consignment lot that will buy the car from you if it doesn't sell--but they only take better cars and are looking for documentation of maintenance or they will do the maintenance themselves and deduct it from the offer price.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Salt Fish posted:

"Hi, my employer gave me 500/mo to buy a car with, what do you recommend?"

<jizz face>

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I was looking around on vroom for a while and I decided to make an account. I noticed that it has a hard limit of 13 characters for the password which means that they're likely storing cleartext passwords on the server. This in turn means they probably rolled their own security instead of using something established and I'm probably not submitting the amount of data needed to buy a car or take out a loan to them.

edit: but if anyone wants to help that situation they're hiring an backend engineer:

https://vroom.workable.com/jobs/228863

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

I was looking around on vroom for a while and I decided to make an account. I noticed that it has a hard limit of 13 characters for the password which means that they're likely storing cleartext passwords on the server. This in turn means they probably rolled their own security instead of using something established and I'm probably not submitting the amount of data needed to buy a car or take out a loan to them.

edit: but if anyone wants to help that situation they're hiring an backend engineer:

https://vroom.workable.com/jobs/228863

I don't know why you're worried. They use https and nothing can be stolen if you use that! :allears:

Request a password reset and see if they you back your password in your email.

Seriously though, good find.

• Locked thread