Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://www.gamesradar.com/hands-on-with-mafia-3-mixing-blood-feuds-and-fun-with-some-real-humanity/

this seems like a good sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, that makes it sound better than before.

I like that Gamespot video you posted earlier, with the attack on the brothel. Although it's a cover shooter that map was rather open so the player had to look more than one way, many opportunities for enemies to flank you. Some glitches and it looks like they're keeping the over-the-top driving sadly (cars flipping over and exploding after being hit at 5 mph) but overall it's looking really good imo.

Here's another video showing off the city (and the map)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Kkvq8Wq78

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Mafia 2 garbage, this gonna be garbage.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Disgusting Coward posted:

Mafia 2 garbage, this gonna be garbage.

Sorry no, it isn't one of your posts.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Yeah, that makes it sound better than before.

I like that Gamespot video you posted earlier, with the attack on the brothel. Although it's a cover shooter that map was rather open so the player had to look more than one way, many opportunities for enemies to flank you. Some glitches and it looks like they're keeping the over-the-top driving sadly (cars flipping over and exploding after being hit at 5 mph) but overall it's looking really good imo.

Here's another video showing off the city (and the map)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Kkvq8Wq78

you can also apparently be non-lethal with your melee attacks and can play stealthy and there is no recharging health. also their are two different modes for driving, arcade and realistic.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Those gps road signs is a great feature. You don't have to drive around staring at the minimap.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Different Gamespot video. 12 minutes of shootin' out. Good luck loving watching it though. There's a looping NPC that makes it almost loving unbearable. At one point I thought they were turning back to do us all a favor but whoever was playing hates us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysIkFTi07Mk

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

you can also apparently be non-lethal with your melee attacks and can play stealthy and there is no recharging health. also their are two different modes for driving, arcade and realistic.

Oh you can do non lethal too? awesome, going to only kill when needed in (gently caress the) Mafia III!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
The only thing that looked off-putting to me in all these videos were the police. That scene where Lincoln is fighting like over a dozen cops who seemed to have zero AI beyond "stand in-place and fire wildly out in the open until dead" looked really bad. Hopefully that footage was like alpha or something and they're still tweaking the AI because that poo poo looked worse than GTA V.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh you can do non lethal too? awesome, going to only kill when needed in (gently caress the) Mafia III!

well melee i mean. like you can just choke someone out or just knife everything. i know in one mission, you kill a corrupt judge who is also proceeding over a zimmerman/trayvon like case(two black guys run into a white assholes yard and he murders them in cold blood and bullshits stand your ground) and you can hear the judge talking about how he is going to rule in white guys favor because "a white man should defend his property" then he goes to buy drugs/hookers from the mafia and the player blew him up(i think theire is more then one way of doing it)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Sadly Mafia's AI has never been much beyond "get to point and shoot player."

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Different Gamespot video. 12 minutes of shootin' out. Good luck loving watching it though. There's a looping NPC that makes it almost loving unbearable. At one point I thought they were turning back to do us all a favor but whoever was playing hates us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysIkFTi07Mk
OH MY GOD!

But what's up with all those ugly gray weapon symbols everywhere? It looks awful and completely immersion killing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Poil posted:

OH MY GOD!

But what's up with all those ugly gray weapon symbols everywhere? It looks awful and completely immersion killing.

not sure. probaly weapon pick up and stuff.

I have to admit, i like the games framing device as a documentry.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Game looks pretty fun but all the early players are garbage. Why does every publisher let the worst of the worst showcase their games?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Game looks pretty fun but all the early players are garbage. Why does every publisher let the worst of the worst showcase their games?

Big surprise,"Gaming Journalists" aren't very good at video games. Case in point,Polygon.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

VolticSurge posted:

Big surprise,"Gaming Journalists" aren't very good at video games. Case in point,Polygon.

Its true, but every pre-release streamer is awful too. Even if they are just some jerk that got an early copy.

Its like a curse.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Pro game previewer should be a profession. Like some sort of gaming samurai you can freelance for companies to show off their games to maximum effect. Like imagine if someone was previewing a Battlefield game and they were actually doing "Battlefield moments" live while playing.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

You should have been looking forward to Cities: Skylines.

I'm literally starting to believe it's a tactic to sell games. "This rear end in a top hat is so bad at this game I have to buy it and show that I could do a better job without even trying!"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

VolticSurge posted:

Polygon also are bad in every other way a gaming site can possibly be bad. Kuchera and Gies are the two dumbest motherfuckers in the gaming press.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cubey posted:

Polygon also are bad in every other way a gaming site can possibly be bad. Kuchera and Gies are the two dumbest motherfuckers in the gaming press.

polygon is basically the dumping ground of other game sites. you dump your lovely staff off there like its "the farm upstate", where they can play games shittley and write long pretentious "think pieces" about the witcher 3 and/or quietly/loudly hate there "hobby". even kotaku is better then them.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
Oh hey cool someone made a thread for the game I'm working on. Hi everybody.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

SilentW posted:

Tell me what you do! I command information!!! I have questions that I need answered!!!!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SilentW posted:

That's so awesome. Tell us everything and secrets please. It's looks awesome so far.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Have you coded it so when you hear a racial slur from an NPC, something bad horribly happens to them a second later?

Also, we're pumped for your game! heal our Mafia 2 wounds! heaaaal them!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
PC Specs: https://mafiagame.com/en/news/view/en-mafia-3-pc-system-requirements-revealed

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 64-bit
INTEL CPU: I5-2500K
AMD CPU: AMD FX-8120
RAM: 6GB
AMD GPU: Radeon HD7870
NVIDIA GPU: GeForce GTX 660
VIDEO MEMORY: 2GB
HD: 50GB (free space)

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 64-bit
INTEL CPU: I7-3770
AMD CPU: AMD FX 8350 4.0 Ghz
RAM: 8 GB AMD
AMD GPU: Radeon R9 290X
NVIDIA GPU: GeForce GTX 780 or GeForce GTX 1060
VIDEO MEMORY: 4GB
HD: 50GB (free space)

SilentW posted:

Why did you ruin Mafia by making the character BLACK!!?[/pubbies]

What is you role? What can you tell us about the studio, since it is a new one, who has come on board for the project? (m)any of the 2k Czech people working at Hangar 13?

drunkill fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 13, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Didn't a large chunk of the Mafia team move on to do Kingdom Come?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I imagine the original Czech guys did now.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SilentW posted:

That's a nice post you have there, it would be a shame is something were to happen to it. For just the small payment of free review copies for everyone in the thread we will make sure nothing happens to it. :v:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

This word means 'Eggplant' in Italian. Again, this word means 'Eggplant'.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Dandywalken posted:

Um... melanzana?

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Dandywalken posted:

It's a True Romance joke! (please see this movie, it's real good)

quote:

I think some of them did, I know some of them didn't. We still have a fair-sized contingent of people in Brno and a bunch of the Prague guys came to the US, which we really appreciate.

quote:

What is you role? What can you tell us about the studio, since it is a new one, who has come on board for the project?
I'm a world designer (like a level designer but for open-world activities), and I can't say much useful about the studio that you couldn't already find online, except the fact that we have a bunch of the ex-2K Marin people on board as well.

There was something a page or so about the physics or whatever - it's a completely in-house engine, we use some middleware but it's not sharing code with any other 2K title (that I know of). It has ancestry from the Mafia 2 engine, but family trees in game engines are misleading at best and useless at worst.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I imagine the original Czech guys did now.

yeah they all moved to that game i believe or at least of the programers did. that game looks awsome though. hussite war skyrim.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

SilentW posted:

Did your publisher cut entire story segments out of the game to sell as DLC, thereby destroying the game fluidity, taking out open world features, and causing Daniel Vavra to quit in disgust like what happened in Mafia 2? Or did they learn their lesson to never pull that poo poo again? If the latter, I would consider that a good sign this time around.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SilentW posted:

It's a True Romance joke! (please see this movie, it's real good)

I think some of them did, I know some of them didn't. We still have a fair-sized contingent of people in Brno and a bunch of the Prague guys came to the US, which we really appreciate.

I'm a world designer (like a level designer but for open-world activities), and I can't say much useful about the studio that you couldn't already find online, except the fact that we have a bunch of the ex-2K Marin people on board as well.

There was something a page or so about the physics or whatever - it's a completely in-house engine, we use some middleware but it's not sharing code with any other 2K title (that I know of). It has ancestry from the Mafia 2 engine, but family trees in game engines are misleading at best and useless at worst.

awesome. so how many open world activities are there. are there like randomly generated "in world ones" or are they mostly mini sidequests?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Utnayan posted:

Did your publisher cut entire story segments out of the game to sell as DLC, thereby destroying the game fluidity, taking out open world features, and causing Daniel Vavra to quit in disgust? If not, I would consider that a good sign this time around.

yeah but now he trolls people on twitter about race in Bohemia circa 15th century and makes a game about killing hussites.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah but now he trolls people on twitter about race in Bohemia circa 15th century and makes a game about killing hussites.

Sadly, I actually have to ask this question this time around after the abortion of the release which was Mafia 2. Because aside from all that, I loved Mafia 2, it's writing, and the story and all the game play. And I can only imagine how great Mafia 2 would have been with Joe's Adventures not being renamed Joe's Adventures to sell as DLC, and having that finished and completed design in the game to take over when Vito went to prison (As what was intended about 2 weeks prior to launch). Not to mention the open world that was cut to sell as The Betrayal of Jimmy (Preorder DLC) and Jimmy's Vendetta.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah they all moved to that game i believe or at least of the programers did. that game looks awsome though. hussite war skyrim.

It's got a multi layered under/over armour system one of the few things Fallout 4 did right and hopefully that'll seal the deal in removing one piece outfits from RPG's forever. Also, bad rear end looking setting with a meaty combat system!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Utnayan posted:

Sadly, I actually have to ask this question this time around after the abortion of the release which was Mafia 2. Because aside from all that, I loved Mafia 2, it's writing, and the story and all the game play. And I can only imagine how great Mafia 2 would have been with Joe's Adventures not being renamed Joe's Adventures to sell as DLC, and having that finished and completed design in the game to take over when Vito went to prison (As what was intended about 2 weeks prior to launch). Not to mention the open world that was cut to sell as The Betrayal of Jimmy (Preorder DLC) and Jimmy's Vendetta.

yeah. wasnt like everything gutted. like the melee system, the side missions, half of the story, a ton of weapons and stores. its sad because there was a great game there but it didnt happen. :(

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's got a multi layered under/over armour system one of the few things Fallout 4 did right and hopefully that'll seal the deal in removing one piece outfits from RPG's forever. Also, bad rear end looking setting with a meaty combat system!

yeah it looks indepth as all heck. cant wait to pick it up. also kinda want gore in it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Utnayan posted:

And the other WW2 missions, they were cut earlier than those ones you mentioned though. That WW2 tutorial map was a larger town and had a few other missions in there which would be flashbacks to play while Vito was in prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

drunkill posted:

And the other WW2 missions, they were cut earlier than those ones you mentioned though. That WW2 tutorial map was a larger town and had a few other missions in there which would be flashbacks to play while Vito was in prison.

wait seriously. gently caress that sucks.

that makes me ask. any Nam missions with lincoln and Donovan.

• Locked thread