Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

As abrupt as it is I never had a problem with the ending because it made sense.
Oh I had no problem with what happened either, it just felt like there was no denouement. Something like having a few minutes of Vito realizing how horribly he hosed up and it wouldn't feel so quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The one thing I remember that came out of the blue was the part where you find out who killed your dad. It just felt out of place.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

As I recall, originally they had multiple endings for Mafia 2, but everyone agreed that one of them was the "best" ending, so that's the one they kept for the actual game.

Seriously, though, there's some alternate universe out there where Mafia 2 is this incredibly immersive sandbox experience full of minigames and activities and multiple endings and it's just kinda depressing.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Utnayan posted:

What I would like to know is if there is a review embargo and copies aren't being sent out, how the hell did Angry Joe get a copy. To me, that smells like paid for promotion right there, and he hasn't been disparaging at all about the game. basically saying the only thing that gets stale after a while (And little variety) is taking over territory from other mobsters in side content.

I'm pretty sure doing promoted content without disclosure is against Youtube's TOS now and I don't think a guy like Angry Joe would risk a kerfuffle like that, but I have no idea how he got it. If there are others then yeah it's just them sending copies out to Youtubers which makes sense since no one reads reviews anymore.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I read reviews, and most YouTube reviews make me violently angry.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Same, but the numbers don't support that!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm pretty sure doing promoted content without disclosure is against Youtube's TOS now and I don't think a guy like Angry Joe would risk a kerfuffle like that, but I have no idea how he got it. If there are others then yeah it's just them sending copies out to Youtubers which makes sense since no one reads reviews anymore.

It also might be a press demo that includes only part of the game.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

blackguy32 posted:

The one thing I remember that came out of the blue was the part where you find out who killed your dad. It just felt out of place.

It seemed a little convienent but I wouldn't say out of place - if Vito was under the impression that it was an accident and had moved on there is no reason he'd dig into things further. Just happened to bump into the right guy at the right time. Then murdered two dozen people.

The ending didn't really bother me that much, either. The game starts off with Vito sitting alone in some run down apartment looking forlornly at a photo album so I took the entire story to be a trip down memory lane, with some gaps at points. But you could tell right off the bat that the game doesn't have a happy ending.

On the game development itself its a shame to hear that so much was cut because in retrospect you can see the framework is there but the base game itself was fun for me. The DLC just seemed like it was an afterthought with how little effort went into it... strange to hear that was part of the plan all along. Mafia II wasn't a game I followed that closely either, maybe that's why I wasn't so let down as other fans?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Welp, I preordered this.

Shadow Warrior 2

and Battlefield 1.

i am everything wrong with the gaming community kill me

Deakul fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 4, 2016

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Replace Battlefield with Civilization 6 and I am guilty of similar crimes

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Hakkesshu posted:

Well, you know what's funny? Is that he was stating in his video he had to turn the music off so Youtube wouldn't find out about it.

Pretty drat sure he is promoting and not disclosing it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Considering the youtube bots have nailed developers over their own game soundtracks turning it off makes sense no matter what.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Most big youtubers got flown to New Orleans for an event last month where they got to record a ton of game play footage.

Probably from that but maybe parts he wasnt supposed to show off until closer to launch.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Utnayan posted:

Well, you know what's funny? Is that he was stating in his video he had to turn the music off so Youtube wouldn't find out about it.

Pretty drat sure he is promoting and not disclosing it.

Having licensed music playing in game while recording footage is basically playing russian roulette with copyright claims. Pretty much everyone who does let's plays/reviews/whatever windmill slam the mute button for music in games because otherwise you might end up with revenue going down the drain.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

drunkill posted:

Most big youtubers got flown to New Orleans for an event last month where they got to record a ton of game play footage.

Probably from that but maybe parts he wasnt supposed to show off until closer to launch.

Flown to New Orleans by 2K I am guessing? Which means everyone should have disclaimers on those videos.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Most do, almost everyone reputable I've seen opens their video by mentioning the event and that they were invited/brought down there. Like you are trying way too hard to find a conspiracy when the whole "No one gets early review copies, you can play on launch day like the plebs" is already right here.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Who cares if some idiot on YouTube with an unfunny gimmick personality was paid to play a game and say it's good?

He's a loving YouTube personality.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Who cares if some idiot on YouTube with an unfunny gimmick personality was paid to play a game and say it's good?

The Federal Trade Commission, mostly.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Echoing above. It goes to ethics which are severely missing in the gaming industry.

1) Don't release review copies so people can read reviews (Most with a grain of salt anyway but still) before purchasing the product and combine it with 2, which is illegal in the United States (And I am guessing elsewhere)

2) It's illegal to promote a game without disclosing you are being paid to promote it, there by if one doesn't, attempting to stealth/viral consumers into buying something that isn't the genuine opinion of the streamer.

3) Combine the two, which they are doing, is even worse.

Game might be just fine and fantastic. But after what they pulled with Mafia 2, and now this little shenanigan, we should all question the game and publisher at this point.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Alright, I'll concede the legality but I don't know why anyone would put any stock in to these YouTube morons. Even print reviews are usually Bad.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

When did they get paid? They got flown to an event and most if not all have disclosed that so they are hardly doing anything illegal. The only thing they're guilty of is that they won't do early reviews either because it's garbage or because they're getting a hilariously massive day one patch through. And if they are secretly funding a hype campaign they're doing a bang up job covering it up.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Accordion Man posted:

Like there's little indication that stuff got cut when it comes to the campaign proper.

Except for that one mission where you deliver a car. Or the fairly long cutscene between you being made and the fire in your home. The cutscene pretty much wrapped up what the game should have been like, but then we were comparing Mafia I to Mafia II. Our expectations were higher for more open-world, less 'button for awesome'.

Now we get to compare Mafia II to Mafia III, and unless they really screw the pooch, it's going to be better.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
forget it jake, it's ethics town

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Any game where I can slaughter KKK members is automatically a good game imo

Are there any racists mad about this game?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

littleorv posted:

Any game where I can slaughter KKK members is automatically a good game imo

Are there any racists mad about this game?

The main character is black, what do you think?

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Deakul posted:

The main character is black, what do you think?

Good.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

The GIG posted:

When did they get paid? They got flown to an event and most if not all have disclosed that so they are hardly doing anything illegal. The only thing they're guilty of is that they won't do early reviews either because it's garbage or because they're getting a hilariously massive day one patch through. And if they are secretly funding a hype campaign they're doing a bang up job covering it up.

You don't need to be given cash money; flying you to a nice event and putting you up for a night or two and whatever is definitely quid pro quo enough considering the game itself is what $60?

Fly me to New Orleans for a party I'll give your game 5/5 :shrug:

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

The GIG posted:

When did they get paid? They got flown to an event and most if not all have disclosed that so they are hardly doing anything illegal.

Well, for starters, getting flown to an event which is being paid for and hosted by the publisher, is getting paid. (Free trip to New Orleans). Did they also get a hotel stay? Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner? And they did disclose that, but if they are talking about how great the game is after that without always disclosing that according to FTC guidelines in their videos, they are already over the line.

Don't need to mash this thread up with that, but considering the abortion that was Mafia II and the cut content which completely destroyed the pacing of the story (Mind you, I still liked Mafia 2 for the most part but instead of a 7/10 it easily could have been a 10/10 with the open world features not cut, and Joe's Adventure's placed exactly where it should have been (The timeline stories from when Vito was in prison up until he got out) I was just saying it is something to note. They should have just come out with the game.

And if it is so bad they cannot give a copy one week early to review sites where a hail mary day one patch may or may not fix all the glaring issues (If that is even the case) advice should be to just wait and see from the gaming community in general.

Either way, I hope it is good, and doesn't suck. I loved Mafia 1, and even though Mafia 2 was butchered I still finished it and liked the character development and settings/some of the story. Let's just hope they didn't gently caress this one up.

Utnayan fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 4, 2016

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

They aren't mad for funny reasons like seeing KKK members get shot, they are mad because its a "SJW game"

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

tap my mountain posted:

They aren't mad for funny reasons like seeing KKK members get shot, they are mad because its a "SJW game"

Not good.

Maybe

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

There are also people calling Luke Cage a racist show, because a story that takes place in Harlem doesn't have enough white people in it.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Not as good as you hoped but still pretty good

much like mafia 3

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I hope they shoehorn in a 1930's race car level that enrages everyone. :rms:

Dapper_Swindler posted:

maybe. i know this happens

:rms:

Okay, so that answers the question of "Should I buy this or not?". Now, how big of a clusterfuck is the PC release going to be? If the PC version has more gore and blood then it's totally worth the pain of .ini tweaks and poo poo.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 4, 2016

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Nuts and Gum posted:

I hope they shoehorn in a 1930's race car level that enrages everyone. :rms:

Okay, so that answers the question of "Should I buy this or not?". Now, how big of a clusterfuck is the PC release going to be? If the PC version has more gore and blood then it's totally worth the pain of .ini tweaks and poo poo.

If you have a high end card it will be worth it. (If it is anything like Mafia 2 and Phys-x) I just upgraded to a 1070 GTX. I'll probably wait for a couple days before I make the choice. either PS4 or PC, or I can also stream from PC to Steam Link on a big theater system. A major part of me would want big sound for the music sound track. But yeah, bugs and all that. My guess is due to the nature of the launch as we know it, and if rumors are true that they didn't give review copies because they have a 30gb Day One patch to fix everything, they most definitely didn't get around to garnering support from NVIDIA for driver updates and the entire PC version will be a complete poo poo show for a few weeks.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I wonder if the twist is that Lincoln is half-black and Joe was his father. He was raised in an orphanage and Joe did gently caress off to the southern United States for around 5 years, around the time for Lincoln to be born.

Could be a nice tie in for why Vito would help Lincoln out too, revenge for what happened to Joe notwithstanding.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I wonder if the twist is that Lincoln is half-black and Joe was his father. He was raised in an orphanage and Joe did gently caress off to the southern United States for around 5 years, around the time for Lincoln to be born.

Could be a nice tie in for why Vito would help Lincoln out too, revenge for what happened to Joe notwithstanding.

That would actually be pretty cool :)

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
http://www.zam.com/article/1128/watch-us-kick-rear end-all-over-the-1960s-streets-of-mafia-iii

After watching that, I'm going to wait for a sale.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Well I only paid like £25 for it so that's good enough to feel like I got it in a sale, so I'm set whatever happens.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

There are also people calling Luke Cage a racist show, because a story that takes place in Harlem doesn't have enough white people in it.

I didnt really notice it while watching the show but Luke Cage is great even with the token white guys. (that are almost always corrupt or bad guys)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I haven't been following this too much, but I did read one the early previews and they already stated that Lincoln was mix raced. It's kind of obvious looking at his character model. They said there's the obvious stuff in the white neighborhoods, but in the black neighborhoods people still give him poo poo by calling him a half-breed and things like that.

• Locked thread