Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I'm pretty optimistic about this. I still enjoyed 2 but it was a disappointment in many ways. It looks like 3 is going to nail the atmosphere like the other entries in the series while the gameplay is more fleshed out and the world more filled with stuff to do.

The gameplay shown so far doesn't seem very unique for an open world crime game. I hope these side activities you have to do to get to the bigger story missions don't end up feeling like padding. But the time period, the location and the protagonist are all different, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Excellent.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

blackguy32 posted:

Meanwhile, I am hoping that they don't take race head-on because all of the previous attempts have been pretty drat embarrassing. But we will see. It's a subject that I don't see playing out too well if all of the past iterations, the solutions have all been violence and shootouts, when during that time period, you had to be smart to succeed. I had problems with Django Unchained for similar reasons.

Yeah, I'm not sure how much should be explicitly shown through gameplay. Enemies shouting racial slurs at the player during gun play, a voodoo doll for distracting enemies, that doesn't sound like it's given a lot of weight. On the other hand, I agree with the conclusion of that Vice article and the lead writer. It would be worse to ignore it completely. I think it could be well done if presented trough the story itself and a few scripted scenes. Also like the more subtle stuff like police taking longer to respond to certain areas.

Stuff like this (from one of the DLC descriptions) though:

quote:

Fast cars, dramatic chases, and stunt driving take center stage as Lincoln joins forces with his former flame, Roxy Laveau, to take down a corrupt Sheriff terrorizing Civil Rights activists on the outskirts of New Bordeaux.

Feels like it cheapens the actual history of it.

Anyway, I like the free DLC. Nothing too big but car customization and races could be cool. Haven't seen this one before either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kqlTOFETuI

Looks like there will be CHOICES AND CONSEQUENCES WHICH WILL INFLUENCE THE WORLD AROUND YOU.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Yeah, that makes it sound better than before.

I like that Gamespot video you posted earlier, with the attack on the brothel. Although it's a cover shooter that map was rather open so the player had to look more than one way, many opportunities for enemies to flank you. Some glitches and it looks like they're keeping the over-the-top driving sadly (cars flipping over and exploding after being hit at 5 mph) but overall it's looking really good imo.

Here's another video showing off the city (and the map)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Kkvq8Wq78

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Psychotic Weasel posted:

My favourite part of the walkthough is that the hotel elevator code is 0451. If I ever need to get through a door with a keypad on it, I'm just going to punch that in first and see if that works.

Ha, I noticed that too. :)

Is this how games promotion is done nowadays? Let a million youtubers stream the game as much as they want with restrictions on showing the story missions? I feel like I have a good view on what the game offers in terms of gameplay.

Assassinating or interrogating key people and destroying stockpiles of stuff looks like it could become a bit tedious after a while. Like always with cover shooters, gunplay looks too easy whenever enemies are only in front of you. Stand in a doorway and whistle to attract a nearby enemy, knock 'em out. Stand in a doorway and fire at a stationary 'boss' at the end of a hallway. At least you can die very easily if exposed to damage. And it seems you can't carry a ton of ammo for any weapon, forcing you to pick up new ones during gun fights, that's interesting.

Also the story sounds interesting and the larger story missions looks to have more variation (like how you could steal that car to infiltrate the hotel but there were many other approaches in the video above). And the city looks beautiful to explore.

Still gonna wait for reviews.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I love youtube comments. :allears:

Pretty excited for this game.

Spergs gonna sperg.

There was some talk earlier of Joe's Adventure, now it's on sale. For €1.59 you can't really go wrong I suppose but Steam reviews are mixed. Would it be worth it to someone who has played Mafia 2 twice?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Well, does it have any new locations (like indoor) you get to visit? New vehicles? Or is it just some random outdoor missions except you play as Joe instead of Vito? I liked the gameplay in 2 but I'm not interested if it's too meh.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

haris pilton posted:

https://youtu.be/CD7VYKN6Nh4

The ai looks terrible at times (especially the guy getting stuck in the doorway near the end)

The background music sent me on a trip down memory lane so it's all good.

Apart from that guy stuck in the door and enemies having no peripheral vision, I didn't see anything particularly egregious. :confused:

I mean, it's not great and it's very unlikely it's gonna change much come release, but it looks on par with other open world games.

If you buy a steam copy through a third party (a physical store in my case), can you still use Steam's return policy? If so, does your money end up in your Steam wallet?

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I don't expect it to be fantastic to be honest. But unless the story is absolute garbage I expect fans of the series to enjoy it at the very least.

But yeah, never pre-order a game (unless you can find it really cheap).

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

ZombyDog posted:

Joe's Adventure features is his story line picking up while Vito is serving time, and to be honest I started it, never really got very far into it because I wasn't really compelled to follow what happened to Joe during this period, and knowing what happens to him at the end of Mafia II. I don't think it was necessary for the main story line and would have disrupted the narrative flow had it not been pulled out of the game and sold as DLC. Jimmy's Vendetta is something again I've not really gotten into but it's mini mission icons that are scattered all over the map that you get graded on time and performance ( kill streaks, head shots and that kind of thing ).

I finished Joe's Adventures yesterday. It was great revisiting the world, I'm still surprised at how detailed it is. The open world is empty but I enjoy just driving around in it with the speed limiter on. I also like the relative realism of it. Cops will react to speeding or hitting traffic, for instance, but won't pull out their guns. Instead they'll attempt to give you a fine (but you can also pretty easily loose them if your wanted level is low). I hope 3 keeps some of that, though I don't count on it.

That said, the DLC is effectively four "real" story missions, in new locations with cutscenes. The rest are set in the open world. A lot of them are fun but they're pretty bare-bones and feel like padding. Also the story is told through images with text before each mission. Maybe it's easier if you play it right after or during the main game but I couldn't follow what was happening at all or who was who.

Anyway, the DLC sated my acute want for more Mafia for now, but I'm looking forward to impressions of this come tomorrow!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

If it follows the style of Mafia 2, a minor reference at best. At the end of Mafia 1, you get a cutscene. At the end of Mafia 2, you take part in the cutscene from Mafia 1. I've only played an hour but so far the only reference I've gotten is "This money is from Scalleta" and the main character of the last game was Vito Scalleta.

Maybe you know this, but Vito is one of your lieutenants in this game.

Edit: Of course, that doesn't mean his story in 2 will be referenced a lot. I hope there is some details of what he's been through since the end of 2 though.

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Sounds like control issue will be the killer for me anyway, if the early comments are any indication. Maybe I should go ahead and try Mafia 2, sounds like the cops will chase you for traffic infractions other than hitting cop cars or pedestrians? Always thought that kind of thing should be modelled, actually.

Yeah, they go after you for that and hitting civilian cars as well as speeding, it's really cool without being annoying. In 1 you also become wanted for running red lights. :sperg:

Sounds like I'll enjoy this but don't need to be in a rush to get it. Repetitive side tasks sound hella boring but looks like they've nailed the atmosphere and time period again, at least.

Captain Scandinaiva fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 7, 2016

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Deakul posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Mafia III - It's your processor. They have a whole core dedicated to racism.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Xeremides posted:

I'm sure whoever is rocking a phenom II also has some garbage like a 4670, too. I'm not upset that 2k didn't try to get the game to run on an abacus. The random CTD's, though? Go ahead and fix that yesterday. poo poo's annoying.

A 6870, if you please :colbert: Welp, extra glad I didn't buy this at launch then. Apparently, NMS and some other new game had the same issue, but were patched. Hope this gets that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Tried staying in the same district and just collecting fuses and it STILL crashes. I guess I can't finish this loving game and that loving sucks.

This is just a shot in the dark, but have you verified the install? I could very well be it's just buggy but it doesn't seem to crash consistently in the same place, or increasingly, for other people. Could be your download was corrupted.

I'm assuming they're working on another patch but has there been any word on what it will include?

• Locked thread