Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Our players and their characters:

Grugnir the Dwarf, played by Anomalous Amalgam
Itekh the Fighting Man, played by Halloween Jack
Alluvia the Elf, played by Unknown Quantity
Glod Glodson the Dwarf, played by Ryuujin

A link back to the Recruitment thread

And the opening scene of our story:

quote:

The town of Duvik's Pass is dying.

Four months ago, the miners working in the mountains began coming home with blistering sores and an unbearable thirst. Soon afterwards, the town's livestock began dying out from a mysterious illness and the crops began to wither. The Elders concluded that the well water must have been soured by some disease, but by then what they started to call The Burning Plague had already begun claiming the young and the sick.

This is where you come in. The town is losing hope, but they have promised you riches and rewards from deep within their now-abandoned mines, if you could only but lift the curse that ails the land and poisons the water.

And so off you went, towards the mines where the disease first reared its calamitous head ...

A cool breeze drifts down from the towering peaks of the Serpentcoil Mountains as you behold the entrance to the caverns. The frost-rimed ground is littered with tools, picks and shovels, some of which protrude from soft banks of snow.

A single darkened shaft leads into the depths of the mine ahead. The dirt path beneath its wooden support structure is covered with stone debris, a few pieces of which occasionally glint with the slightest hint of ore. No light issues forth from the tunnel. Burnt-out torches are strewn across the floor, their brackets torn from the shaft walls.

Behind you, the worn road leads back through the crags to the valley below. Aside from the quiet whistling of the wind, complete silence fills the small clearing within the mountains.

What do you do?

Feel free to talk amongst yourselves, ask me questions about your surroundings and/or the world, or declare that your character is doing something to interact with their surroundings to gain more information.

Before you decide to move on, I will need a marching order, so please agree as to who is taking point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Grignir the Dwarf

Grignir kneels down beside a snowbank and surveys the entrance to the mine.

"Looks like the miners left in a hurry."

Grignir will inspect the tools and then fall back in order with the party if there is nothing of interest. I also claim 2nd spot in the order unless anyone has other preferences.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The tools are bloodied, nicked, and torn - the miners had a fight here, but they lost, and not everyone escaped.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Glod Glodson the Dwarf

Glod plods along, and looks sadly upon the tools. He takes the times to give the tools proper respects. Terrible how they were just left lying anywhere like that. Then he takes the lead entering the mines.

Pretty sure Glod has the most hp and the best AC so probably a good choice to go first.

pre:
Glod Glodson the Dwarf
Class: Dwarf
Exp.: 319 
STR: 15    CON: 16
INT: 12    DEX: 10
WIS: 13    CHA: 9

Alignment: Lawful
HP: 5/5
AC: 2
		All Wands - 		
Death Ray	Including Polymorph	Stone	Dragon	Staves &
or Poison	or Paralization			Breath	Spells
10		11			12	13	14

Equipment:
Battleaxe
Dagger
Shield 
Platemail 
Helmet 
Leather Back Pack 
Small Sack 
6 Torches  
Standard Rations 
Water/Wine Skin 

believe that is 93

Gold:

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 3, 2016

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Grignir the Dwarf

"These miners... There was a fight here. Not everyone left with their lives."

Grignir claps his hands together to dust off the snow and leaves the tools entrenched in the bank.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Itekh the Fighting-Man

The warrior raises his visor to examine the tools. "We should take some of these. I expect we'll have to do a bit of mining ourselves before this is over."

(If there are any tools that aren't rusted and broken, he'll bind a shovel and pick together with twine, and take a good hammer and any spikes or pitons to be found laying around.)

He sniffs the cool air emanating from the dark tunnel. "Still more salubrious than that to be found down in the village, I'd wager. So who wants to go first? I'll do it, but someone else has to be right behind me with the lantern if that's the case. Or a torch. Ah, I'm out of oil."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Alluvia the Elf

"I gather that they had quite the struggle. Possibly against whatever was inflicting this plague. If it is all right with the rest of you, I'd rather stick to the back, lest it opts to leap out at us."

Alluvia does her best to sidestep around the tools and various signs of carnage as she takes up the rear.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Glod Glodson takes the lead, followed by Grignir holding a lit torch in his off-hand, then Itekh, then Alluvia brings up the rear.

The tunnel goes down some 120 feet. Glod's dwarfsense tells him that there's a slight downward incline to the floor as it heads deeper into the mountain.

It eventually opens up into a small, roughly rectangular chamber.

Scattered chunks of silver ore surround an overturned pair of wooden carts. The lower half of what appears to be a human body juts out from beneath one of the cart’s edges. The body shows no signs of movement.

Dried blood is smeared across the northern wall in several places.

There are exits to your left and to your right. Dwarfsense tells you that the right-hand exit is the one that leans and leads deeper down into the earth.

Halloween Jack posted:

(If there are any tools that aren't rusted and broken, he'll bind a shovel and pick together with twine, and take a good hammer and any spikes or pitons to be found laying around.)

Go ahead and add "shovel and pick" and "hammer" and "3 iron pitons" to your inventory

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Itekh the Fighting-Man

"Huh." Itekh gently kicks the cart atop the body and, assuming nothing happens, lifts the cart up and off the body to examine it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You kick the cart, and you hear the distinct sound of twine stretching and creaking. Looking more closely, you see a thin line of rope stretching from underneath the cart, running up to the ceiling. It's a bit too dark to see what's on the other end, but the string is taut enough that you almost got it to break just by disturbing the cart.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 22, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Itekh the Fighting-Man

He raises his hand to his head in an affected display of befuddlement. "I am no engineer. Dwarf-friend?"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The dwarves do sense that there's some silver ore underneath the carts.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Alluvia the Elf

Alluvia observes the carts. Do they look like their wheels still turn and can still function? She sees if she can manage to turn one upright. This might take some doing, though.

"I don't suppose....ugh...that these carts have tracks we could take them on? Not that we need it, but..." a grunt of effort as she continues trying to lift it. "It might not be a bad idea to wheel it along so we have a path we can follow forward and back. Not to mention..." One final bout of exertion, either up-righting it or dropping it. "Something that can carry anything important we find."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Itekh the Fighting-Man

"As long as the wheels don't squeak. Gods know listening in this place." Hearing no other suggestions regarding the cart with the body beneath it, he experimentally lifts up one corner to see what happens by allowing the twine a little slack.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
One of the carts is empty, upright, and light enough that you could place it back on the mineshaft's tracks, despite being knocked off during whatever fight transpired here.

Her elven ability to detect secrets does clue her in that the overturned cart with the body underneath, that Itekh kicked, is trapped. That taut rope leading up to the ceiling is tied to a blue-black orb. If the rope breaks while you try to right the cart, the orb'll fall and ... well, you're not sure what will happen.

Halloween Jack posted:

"As long as the wheels don't squeak. Gods know listening in this place." Hearing no other suggestions regarding the cart with the body beneath it, he experimentally lifts up one corner to see what happens by allowing the twine a little slack.

Itekh confirms the presence of silver ore underneath the cart, but it's still in large, unprocessed form - no way to get it from underneath the cart just by peeking.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 24, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Glod Glodson the Dwarf

Glod sniffs about. "Ya there is silver under the cart, that is sure." He watches how carefully Itekh and Alluvia watch the cart. "Is there something else with the cart?"

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Alluvia the Elf

"I sense danger tied to the other cart. In this case, literally tied to something higher up. Unless you're ready to catch it or can strengthen the rope, I would be very careful about moving it..."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Itekh the Fighting-Man

Itekh backs away from the cart with his hands raised. "I'm no miner, nor am I so fond of mangled bodies as to risk deadly danger. Perhaps we should move on."

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Grignir the Dwarf

We can move to further into the mine without disturbing/dismantling the trap?

Grignir tugs at the wiry ends of his beard with his fingers and surveys the trap without touching it after Itekh and Alluvia examine it.

"Itekh has the right idea, I say we do our best to move on lest we end up like this fella'. Only question is, who or what's laid the trap? I suppose we'll be finding that out soon enough ~ harumph!"

"What say ye, Glod? Deeper into the earth on the right or shall we poke about this level some more to the left?"

Do I hear anything at all in the mine?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

We can move to further into the mine without disturbing/dismantling the trap?
Yes.

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Do I hear anything at all in the mine?
You take a moment to try and listen to the environment closely.

To the right, it's dead quiet.

To the left, you hear the sound of boiling water. There's also a very faint smell of stew, but there's an underlying awful rottenness about it, as if the meat being used isn't exactly fresh anymore.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Grignir the Dwarf

Malaise creeps over Grignir as he picks up the pungent aroma of "stew". It was not at all a hearty, welcoming smell.

Grignir quiets down, and points to his nose sniffing the air.

He whispers, "I smell something that's not right coming from the draft in the passage to our left. Sound of a kettle boiling or what have you. I say we check it out."

Grignir falls back into formation clasping his armaments tighter.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Glod Glodson the Dwarf

Glod nods. "It may be best to clear this floor first, don't want anything coming down after us. Onward to the stew." Then he takes the lead down the left stew scented path.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The corridor goes on for a short 40 feet, before ending in a set of wooden double doors.

You very gently check the door, and find that it's not locked. The smell of stew is now overpoweringly pungent, and you hear the crackle of a fireplace, the tok-tok-tok of wooden utensils, and the clink-clink of metal on metal.

Alluvia: your Elven ears pick up bits of conversation. It's Draconic, in short, clipped yaps.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
(24 hour reminder)

You still have the element of surprise, because you didn't really make a lot of noise in the previous scene. But here, there's absolutely going to be someone else on the other side of that door.

What do you do?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Itekh the Fighting-Man

"Lizardmen feasting on the flesh of the dead!" he says in a harsh whisper. We can take them. Push through!"

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Grignir the Dwarf

"Agreed. Let's give em' some steel to chew on, the sorry gits."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Alluvia the Elf

"I can give them a rude awakening, if need be. However, I think we'll be alright if we aren't outnumbered."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Glod busts open the door with his mail-clad boot, and it swings open to reveal nine kobolds, all gathered 'round a stewpot in the middle of the room, with rat tails and other bits of meat sticking out.

To their left and right are long, wooden tables running the length of the room, with a bench on either side.

They've not yet had time to register your entry when you ...

Okay, we're dropping into combat. Declare your action, make your roll as appropriate. This is a surprise round, so initiative doesn't matter just yet. I may award bonuses depending on what you decide to do, how you use the terrain, etc.

For those of you wanting to engage in melee, you can charge, as it's only 20 feet between the door and the middle of the room.

Nine kobolds, armed with spears and slings, wearing leather [AC 7]
HP: [2, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 2]

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Glod Glodson the Dwarf

Glod rushes in straight toward the pot, bringing his shield up he slams it into the side of the pot with all the momentum of his rush behind it. Intending on bowling over a number of kobolds, possibly burning them in scalding stew.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Alluvia the Elf

Alluvia readies her crossbow and opts to fire a bolt!

Attack with missile weapon!: 1d20+1 9
Damage!: 1d6 6

She succeeds at firing a bolt right into a kobold's chest! She uses the rest of this moment reloading her crossbow.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Itekh the Fighting-Man

Itekh charges along with Glod, coming up on his left. He knocks the bench to the right with a heavy kick to hem in the goblins dodging spilt stew, and hacks at the first one within reach.

Attack!

Attack: 12
Damage: 4

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Have not forgotten about this - update in another 8-12 hours because its late and I'm very tired.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Grignir the Dwarf

Grignir vaults across the room, shield lowered and mace raised.

He lets out a blood curdling battlecry and swings his mace at the face of a kobold.

"Hhhyyeeerrraaahh~!"

Mace Crush: 1d20 20 1d6 6

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. Glod knocks over the stew pot, and its boiling contents fly everywhere:

Rolling 1d20 nine times, once for each Kobold, need an 11 or better to hit: 13, 5, 16, 2, 19, 17, 12, 15, 11
7 hits, each Kobold hit takes 1 damage
All Kobolds have their AC penalized to AC 8 from being scalded

2. Alluvia takes a shot with her crossbow, but misses

(you needed an 11 or better to hit an AC 8)

3. Itekh's sword cleaves one of the kobolds in twain

4. Grignir crushes a kobold skull with his mace

===

Two kobolds are left. You can tell that they're going to try and stab Glod, as he's the one in the center of the melee.

This is the first round of normal combat. In addition to declaring what you want to do and rolling an attack, etc. as appropriate, I also want you to roll a d6. That will serve as initiative - I'll resolve the actions in order from 1 to 6, including simultaneous ones if they're on the same count. The enemies will be rolling for themselves as well.

I'll be giving you an idea of what the enemies are planning to do so your actions are informed by them, and if we get a conflict in orders, such as attacking an enemy that's no longer alive by the time your count comes up, I'll move it forward with your intent in mind.

Two kobolds, armed with spears and slings, wearing leather, but scalded by hot stew [AC 8]
HP: [1, 2]

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 29, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Glod Glodson the Dwarf

Glod nods as stew goes everywhere, then pulls out his axe and proceeds to attack one of the kobold.

Attack 1d20 5 well that is likely to be a miss.
Initiative 1d6 3

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Grignir the Dwarf
Initiative: 1d6 4

Grignir pushes forward to stand alongside Glod, ready to repel enemy attacks with his shield.

Going to defend Glod

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Itekh the Fighting-Man

With a clank of metal, he charges in from the side, trying to push a kobold back against the pot and deliver a killing stroke while he's off-balance.

Attack!

Attack: 13
Damage: 6

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The kobolds roll for their initiative: Both of them go at initiative 5

Rolling Itekh's initiative for him: He goes at initiative 1

Rolling Alluvia's initiative for her: She goes at initiative 6

1:
Itekh pins one of the kobolds against the pot and stabs it straight to the chest.

2:

3:
Glod swings at the last kobold, but it sidesteps away at the last second

4:
Grignir assumes a defensive stance around Glod

5:
The kobold tries to stab Glod, and but the spear tip clangs off the fine dwarven armor
Attack roll: 9

6:
Alluvia takes another shot with her crossbow, but she misses in the chaos of the melee
Attack roll: 4

===

Round 2: the last remaining kobold is going to try and make a break for the door on the far end of the mess hall. Glod and Grignir get a +2 to attack rolls since its back will be turned to them, but you all can try to do something else to stop it from getting away.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
Grignir the Dwarf
Initiative: 1d6 4

"Not today you scaly knave! Hyyeearaaaaahh~!"
Kobold Crush!: 1d20+2 6 1d6 1

Grignir tries and fails to crush the fleeing Kobold with his mace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Glod Glodson the Dwarf

Glod tries to put down the last kobold as it attempts to flee. But has not had much luck connecting.

Attack 1d20 5 seriously? two 5s in a row? Oh yeah +2 would put it at 7 but still.
Initiative 1d6 2

• Locked thread