Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Note: you can place waypoints on objects and people. If you then throw the object and press the waypoint button twice, you get a pretty good killcam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Are you sure you can beat this game lw?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Rodyle posted:

Are you sure you can beat this game lw?

Not with this utter lack of faith in my godly abilities!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Lizard Wizard posted:

Not with this utter lack of faith in my godly abilities!

I only have a partial lack of faith in your godly abilities.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I have faith in the god of bad computermice.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I really really wish murdering the sailors were a better long-term option. Or at least skipping that loving song.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
That song is an absolute treasure and I will not hear otherwise.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

The controls seem like absolute rear end because you keep on doing things other than what you want to do.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

I came here for that song. :colbert:

I'll hum it very quietly just for you.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
The boat is the best part of the game, right there.

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus

The_Final_Stand posted:

That song is an absolute treasure and I will not hear otherwise.

It's no "A pirate I was meant to be," but it'll do :D

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

You should have changed it to Hoist the Colours just to make it appropriately sinister and eldritch.

In my headcanon the ocean is filled with krakens and lovecraftian horrors.

benjoyce
Aug 3, 2007
Swashbuckler from Meleé island

snograt posted:

It's no "A pirate I was meant to be," but it'll do :D

Ah, I <3 that tune.
Just for game history lesson purposes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AawQvD8L_h4

And the lyrics in all their glory.

Morbidmind
Feb 24, 2013
Great song, terrible silver scroll quest. After a couple times through this game, just chucking them is a lot more satisfying.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
At several times in the game it really does feel like Peter Molyneux's conception of moral good is "ignores the 1001 reasons why it would feel so, SO good to murder absolutely everyone because it would be so easy and they're just begging for it"

I'm... not sure what to make of it all tbqh.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Would explaining the fireflies count as a spoiler?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Aumanor posted:

Would explaining the fireflies count as a spoiler?

I don't think so. Go ahead.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't think so. Go ahead.

They hide under objects at dawn. If you pick up that object that day, there's a 1 shot miracle underneath.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

It's pretty amazing how these guys get actual divine intervention for free wood, then insist that God needs to provide free food as well.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

It's pretty amazing how these guys get actual divine intervention for free wood, then insist that God needs to provide free food as well.

I don't think it's a spoiler to say that I'm pretty sure the smiting of heathens will come in due time.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
So *is* there anything to the green cloud when you replant a tree? You were doing a lot of that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

davidspackage posted:

So *is* there anything to the green cloud when you replant a tree? You were doing a lot of that.

I don't think this is spoilers but I'll remove it if it is. Trees won't spread if they're planted too close to buildings. The green cloud just shows that they're in a spot that lets them make more trees.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

I don't think this is spoilers but I'll remove it if it is. Trees won't spread if they're planted too close to buildings. The green cloud just shows that they're in a spot that lets them make more trees.

Yup, that's exactly right. That and I was under the impression at the time that every green cloud meant more tiny little seedlings.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Arboreal sporulates. :lsd:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Psychotic Weasel posted:

It was that pod thing SHODAN caught a ride in after first System Shock; I guess we could count her as a god.

As an orthodox Durandalian, I find this suggestion offensive in the extreme.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Durandwhat?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

double nine posted:

Durandwhat?

Durandalian. Surely you have heard the good word?

For truly, it is as he said unto the Security Officer.

"Every breath, every motion brings you one instant closer to your death. With that kind of heritage and destiny, how can you deny yourself? How can you expect yourself to give up violence?

It is your nature.

Do you feel free?"

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

benjoyce posted:

Ah, I <3 that tune.
Just for game history lesson purposes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AawQvD8L_h4

And the lyrics in all their glory.

I'll never forgive the Italian version of Monkey Island 3 for cutting that out. When the LP was going on quite a lot of people were gushing about The Song coming up and I was all ":confused: I remember no song :confused:". Then the LP reached The Song.

I kinda like B&W from a concept standpoint. Then again, it's the first time Molineaux happened, right? First time one can forgive, the serial repeats not so much; after the fifth time you kinda have to realize you're deliberately scamming people.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I'm not voting 5 until I get some grain.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Okay Lizard, serious question - how old is your mouse? Because the control issues may be user-caused or hardware caused. You might wanna check it for dust

ALSO:

CUSTOM TATTOOS

quote:

Begin by running Paint (Start->Accessories->Paint) or your favorite graphics program.
Set the image size to 64x64 (in Paint, select Image->Attributes from the menu and enter 64 for both the width and height, making sure the Pixels button is checked).
Set the image to grayscale (in Paint, select Image->Attributes from the menu and check the Black and white button).
Create your custom tattoo.
Save the image as a 256 color (8-bit) bmp file named symbolx.bmp, where x is a number from 1 through 16.
Place the image in your profile directory (default is c:\program files\Lionhead Studios Ltd\Black & White\profiles\yourname\ - where yourname is your profile name).
Run Black & White and visit the Creatue Cave - your new tattoo is ready for use!

Lastly, a small technicality - that tree that the leash tutorial uses? It's immortal. Meaning if you set it on fire it will burn forever. So if you want to have your own eternally burning tree and go full-Moses then there's your target.

double nine fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 25, 2016

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus

Omobono posted:

It's the first time Molineaux happened, right?

Nope, that would be Populous, at least that's the game where he hit the big time.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

snograt posted:

Nope, that would be Populous, at least that's the game where he hit the big time.

I think what they mean is that this is the first time Molineaux prominently was involved in advertising and over promising game features that didn't make it into the game. And yes, this was the first case of that happening.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I believe this is the first time he happened without someone around to keep him in check though, if that's what was meant.

As for tree fertility, knowing about it does come in handy if you don't know about a vastly superior (and hilarious) thing you can do, which is entirely likely given that said thing is only ever mentioned in loading screen tips... well, more about that when it actually becomes possible.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

double nine posted:

CUSTOM TATTOOS

Wait, this is a thing? Lizwiz. You better do this with something really stupid looking.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Yeah, I meant Molineaux being Molineaux, i.e. promising the Moon, a manned mission to Europa and a pony during development and then delivering nowhere near those lofty goals.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Omobono posted:

Yeah, I meant Molineaux being Molineaux, i.e. promising the Moon, a manned mission to Europa and a pony during development and then delivering nowhere near those lofty goals.

I think I probably enjoyed Black & White more than other people due to not having this experience, since it was more or less a hand-me-down.

double nine posted:

Okay Lizard, serious question - how old is your mouse? Because the control issues may be user-caused or hardware caused. You might wanna check it for dust

It's a year or two old, but the issues seem to have resolved themselves as of the latest recording session. :shrug:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 25, 2016

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Omobono posted:

It's kind of weird since I don't feel that I got the same kind of over the moon promises that Molyneux gave us with Fable but my only prerelease hype I ever recieved was from PCZones dev diaries and I guess since they had different people from the dev team writing them it go a bit more grounded.

They did get a bit off course though since I recall one of the devs gossiping about how another member of the team got a blowjob from a Lionhead "groupie" during a party they held.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Sylphosaurus posted:

They did get a bit off course though since I recall one of the devs gossiping about how another member of the team got a blowjob from a Lionhead "groupie" during a party they held.

What? :stare:

No, wait...let me rephrase that....

WHAT?!!! :stonk:

That's news to me, and not necessarily news I wanted to learn :yikes:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Man, someone must've REALLY liked Dungeon Keeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I never quite managed to finish Black and White, but I'm actually pretty fond of the sequel. It leaves in plenty of the intuitive/gesture-based touches, but it also brings back the interface and lets you select which behaviors to reinforce with your creature. It also let me win by crushing enemy troops with rocks and then building crazy-huge cities, which is totally my jam when it comes to these mixed city/combat sims.

• Locked thread