Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ThaumPenguin posted:

I've been using GIMP, thanks for the suggestion.

e: ah, it costs money

lots of money

There's an ancient edition of photoshop that adobe put up for free, I'll see if I can find the link sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Would anyone with similar specs that knows what they're doing and has their ini's configured for ENB be willing to PM me their SkyrimPrefs and Skyrim ini's?

i5 quad core, gtx960 4gb and 8gb ram, 1080p monitor.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 23, 2016

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Would anyone with similar specs that knows what they're doing and has their ini's configured for ENB be willing to PM me their SkyrimPrefs and Skyrim ini's?

i5 quad core, gtx960 4gb and 8gb ram, 1080p monitor.

I'm going to do a bigger post on performance, but the most significant FPS gains I received came from this performance guide on Nexus Mods that also details numerous settings in your .inis. Have a go and let me know if it helps. Worked wonders for me.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50214/

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Hey, I've lost a pretty great mod I once had. It was this fantastic, convincingly normalmapped do-over of the faux-3D diamond pattern metal doors/city gates in Solitude and elsewhere. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

e: eh, uh, whoops. Apparently I was under the impression that I'd installed SMIM when I hadn't. False alarm guys!!!!

scamtank fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 23, 2016

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
:suicide:

So I'm an idiot. I was expecting SMC to be a thing where I downloaded a bunch of different texture mods and then when combining it would prompt me to ask which mod I'd like to use for X or Y like a FOMOD install - but nope! All it does is extract any mods you download into a single folder (which I could have done myself without downloading 250+ mods!). So I now I have an absolute mess of incompatible, redundant textures and esp's taking up 22g of space. At least I have them all downloaded when I pick the 10 or 20 mods I actually want.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Goondolences.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

:suicide:

So I'm an idiot. I was expecting SMC to be a thing where I downloaded a bunch of different texture mods and then when combining it would prompt me to ask which mod I'd like to use for X or Y like a FOMOD install - but nope! All it does is extract any mods you download into a single folder (which I could have done myself without downloading 250+ mods!). So I now I have an absolute mess of incompatible, redundant textures and esp's taking up 22g of space. At least I have them all downloaded when I pick the 10 or 20 mods I actually want.

You can edit the .bat file to pick which texture you want out of the base set. It essentially starts with everything, and then selects what the author thinks works best into a set of texture replacements for most textures in the game.

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
Probably not worth adding to the OP, but if you enjoy Uncle Sheogorath's altered loading screens, there are versions available for the Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn loading screens. You should install them directly to the Recycle Bin unless, "Here's an ax. Reminds me of when I turned your mother into a chipmunk. Chipmunk! SQUEEEEE!", gets a chuckle out of you. They're made by somebody other than Tumbleworld, and whoever it was just didn't have the right skill set.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
MONKEYCHEESE! SPORK SPORK SPORK POTATO DANCE

I'm so random and wacky it's hilarious!!!!!!!! Laugh! Why don't you laugh?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Regarding SPERG, the OP says this:

GunnerJ posted:

Warning: The installer is a little messed up, you need to move the file SKSE_Elys_Uncapper.ini from the data\SPERG\SKSE\Plugins folder to data\SKSE\Plugins. You'll also need to make sure you move the Dragonborn and Dawnguard patches out of the Optional folder.

I'm a modding newbie idiot, but I don't see a data\SPERG\SKSE\Plugins folder in the Skyrim directory. I installed SPERG through Mod Organizer--does that make a difference? I can see that SPERG directory in the Mod Organizer folder, so I'm guessing that's the one? I opened a save game without doing the above and SPERG appears to be there and working, but I have no idea if it's working as intended.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Agents wrote that so he'll have to clarify but if you're using MO, nothing you install through it will actually be in skyrim\data as MO stores every mod's files in their own folders.

(One more fact to add to the OP!)

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

GunnerJ posted:

Agents wrote that so he'll have to clarify but if you're using MO, nothing you install through it will actually be in skyrim\data as MO stores every mod's files in their own folders.

(One more fact to add to the OP!)

Yeah, I decided it must be the MO copy and did the OP's trick with that file. I created a new game and started with 15 or 20 in every skill tree. Is that normal for SPERG or does that mean I screwed something up?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That's normal, make sure you move the DB and DG patches out of the optional folder.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Ynglaur posted:

You can edit the .bat file to pick which texture you want out of the base set. It essentially starts with everything, and then selects what the author thinks works best into a set of texture replacements for most textures in the game.

Which .bat file? I'm looking through the SMC folder and not finding it.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Not on my main laptop at the moment. The entire SMC used to work as a simple Windows batch file that just moved files out of the /input directory and put them into the /output directory, and from there would ZIP or otherwise package it up neatly for the /data folder.

I may be dating myself: look for a .cmd file.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Not anywhere I can find. I'd recommend it as a guide for picking good texture mods but I definitely wouldn't recommend installing them through it. I mean I have no loving idea how it expects to handle a scripted install like SMIM that requires you to pick and choose your own preferences.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Is it a bad thing to run SPERG without the uncapper? Can I start using it partway through my playthrough?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah, but it's safe to add the Uncapper and SPERG mid-playthrough.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

Not on my main laptop at the moment. The entire SMC used to work as a simple Windows batch file that just moved files out of the /input directory and put them into the /output directory, and from there would ZIP or otherwise package it up neatly for the /data folder.

I may be dating myself: look for a .cmd file.

When I last used the SMC, I do not remember there being and batch files.

This might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmVDGa4sfxE

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

GunnerJ posted:

I would never in a million years dream of using anything but the ones you did.

Also let me know when the post is ready and I'll put it in.

I think it's good to go. I've added or clarified content based on all the feedback so far. Can't really think of much else to change at the moment.

If any goons have particularly awesome ENB screenshots, those are always welcome. Show off your bling!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Legacy of the Dragonborn status: oh my god what is this garbage

There's these new gemstones in the mix, right? there was something severely wrong with how they looked and I thought I had installed something wrong, but

with mesh/texture pairs like these, it's no wonder they look like broken pieces of poo poo

and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that not even Morrowind modders left loving stock photo watermarks on their textures

e: pyrite.dds is actually a 400x268 stamp that was just stretched to triple size, pixels and jpeg artifacts and all. right next to it is the tiny 104x120 poudretteite.dds, which appears to have been cropped from the very first google images result (a 250x203 thumbnail of a cut stone)

scamtank fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 24, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

scamtank posted:

and correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure that not even Morrowind modders left loving stock photo watermarks on their textures

loving lol.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

coral.dds, tourmaline.dds, red diamond.dds and rhodonite.dds also confirmed for watermarks

the ones in the first first two are so incredibly mangled and low-res that I can't actually make out whose stuff he actually stole. rhodonite came from antolini.com, the diamond is another depositphotos sample

about the only acceptable-looking ones in the package do so by accident, like carnelians (although the lighting on the model is real fucky-looking), but the single one that looks okay by design is sulfur. that's mainly thanks to the model being a cup of fire salts repurposed to hold yellow dust, so he had a ready texture to MSPaint over

i wonder whose retextured cup that is

Orv
May 4, 2011
THE MOD THAT WILL CHANGE YOUR SKYRIM EXPERIENCE FOREVER.

Made by a somewhat talented five year old.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

This mod just showed up in the Hot Files on Nexus, and the gifs in the description are really distracting me.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This is the kinda poo poo I had in mind when I started the blog.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

yeah sorry it's still great

I hope you get well soon though

*opens meshes in 3d editor*

have you SEEN these vertexes? *scoffs*

Orv
May 4, 2011
Aren't we defensive.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

it's only an eyesore, to be sure, but it's a worrying sign when something this big and this complex and this pervasive has signs of really, really sloppy judgment

considering how the only offensively bad things so far have been the gemstone modelling and the crimes against grammar in the museum NPC dialogue, I hope this was just something he absorbed from some nameless shamelord's first mod without looking too hard. this sort of work ethic on the scripting front would make any save a time bomb

on the positive side, the distribution of the gems into the world was fairly straightforward and sensible, so I didn't have to work hard to uproot the terrible crap from generic treasure and mining yield lists. they're still handplaced all over the world and all of them can still be obtained through excavations, so I can sweep them under the rug until I want to complete some display cases (which I won't look at)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

speaking of things you can see without a magnifying glass

if I had a free evening I would go and clean up all the terrible grammar, cutting corners on meshes and textures I can see, those take a lot of work

but not capitalizing hundreds of words in your 1000+ hours of work magnum opus seems real weird

Orv
May 4, 2011
So honestly because I am interested, what does that thing entail? 2.5GB is 2K textures for the entire game kind of size.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Orv posted:

So honestly because I am interested, what does that thing entail? 2.5GB is 2K textures for the entire game kind of size.

remember the museum of artifacts for morrowind? you could donate (or sell) your crap to a museum that would display them

this is that except for skyrim and they accept basically every unique item ever, and autoincludes any supported mod you might run (like moonpath which I think is fully integrated). eg if you run "more unique loot" or whatever and it supports it, you suddenly have a new wing of the museum to put stuff in.

and on top of that it has additional items from previous games that were missing and added in as well as some quests to find said items

it's the closest thing to a skyrim achievement mod since the skyrim achievement mod

Orv
May 4, 2011
See that seems neat in a Well now I've done everything, delete save kind of way, but I take it the description of kind of ran away with itself isn't entirely unfounded.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

it has a lot of content, sure, but I wouldn't say it ran away with itself

it has a few moments that are written poorly but that's par for the course with skyrim mods

it's......good......8/10 but I probably wouldn't ever play without it

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
So in terms of combat changing mods I have SPERG and Deadly Combat installed; would either of those possibly be the cause of a character being seemingly ridiculously overpowered? Like, most enemies die with one swing of my longsword even on Expert Difficulty overpowered?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ThaumPenguin posted:

This mod just showed up in the Hot Files on Nexus, and the gifs in the description are really distracting me.

I see no issues with these images.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Mega64 posted:

I see no issues with these images.

I will download this mod, if only to experience that fruits of the same artistic vision that created this gif.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Just wanted to thank everyone for their help and advice. I now have a very heavily modded but stable and gorgeous looking Skyrim installed!

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
So in moving my Skyrim install from my old laptop to a new desktop, I seem to have accidentally activated Dragon Combat Overhaul on the new computer... and I really don't like that mod. There was a reason I disabled it; not sure why I didn't delete it.

No big, I thought, I'd just deactivate it now.

Apparently doing so somehow breaks my game in that the in-game time scale keeps getting raised by 200, so that I end up with the game running at multiple minutes a second. Naturally this is not only annoying visually but it wreaks havoc with iNeed because it only takes a few seconds for my hunger, thirst, and fatigue to get into the red. Is there some secret to uninstalling DCO?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

If there is one clear point in apollodown's incoherent meme diarrhea of a description, it's that he really, really does not want you adding it or removing it mid playthrough. Which yes, it's always a risk, but it seems like he's aware that it's extra special bad for his mod but isn't quite sure why so he just shouts it really loud and hopes someone hears.

Sorry, dude.