Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

B,F Thomas can handle the next two awakenings, and we'll of course be awake for arrival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
1. D

Take a month to relax, Stretch, workout and eat right, as well as making sure we have all our contingency plans in order in case we kick it as well as drawing up some prelim plans for when we make touchdown. Maybe prepare a speech.

2. E

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CE

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

C, F

There's no reason not to try and 'reset,' and I some extra company for a week or two would probably please the regular crew. Screw taking the next shift ourselves tho, if a 'reset' doesn't work I don't want to be faced with a dehabilitating headache during out last wake ups, especially if there's an emergency.

Phearson
Aug 15, 2006

Have you seen my pants?

FoxTerrier posted:

C, F

There's no reason not to try and 'reset,' and I some extra company for a week or two would probably please the regular crew. Screw taking the next shift ourselves tho, if a 'reset' doesn't work I don't want to be faced with a dehabilitating headache during out last wake ups, especially if there's an emergency.

Works for me

Bede
Jun 2, 2006

I wasn't even around for the goblin baby vote
C E

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

C E , test if the reset works. Take the time to research the effects of cryo, if we have any tools to do so. As a genetic engineer we should have general biological research skill.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

C, E should have been the plan all along. :colbert:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Butt Discussin posted:

C E , test if the reset works. Take the time to research the effects of cryo, if we have any tools to do so. As a genetic engineer we should have general biological research skill.

I'm sure we have some level of simulation ability. If we simulate a few thousand or more freeze-thaw cycles, maybe we can observe an exaggerated effect.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
C, G How much do we have in the way of food supplies? I doubt one extra guy staying up will put much of a dent in it, but I'd like to know what kind of leeway we've got.

vorebane fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 13, 2016

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
C, E.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Tubal may be relived at the idea of no methane or ammonia, but I'm personally concerned about a cyanogen heavy (relative) atmosphere now. There has to be more wrong with the planet we're going to besides potentially higher UV exposure.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
1D.
A month to prep, and analyze the people we have onboard. Find ways to categorize, and organize them to make the best use of time once we land. We need to have a go-live plan for our dudes and now's as good a time as any.

We need to do it now because if there's another factor that degrades the cryo-to-awake process, it might be even worse (and incapacitate us) next time. If we put a good plan in place, a decent foundation, that creates a decent redundancy in case we don't wake up well (or at all).

2. E

I hope it doesn't continue to get shittier.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

BE

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
C, assuming the ship has a whole poo poo load of food somewhere and we won't screw up any supply issues. I'm guessing there's enough food for everyone in Cyro for a year or two at least.

F

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Bound to be food, otherwise we'd starve pretty drat soon after we'd landed.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
C
F

Let's play it safe.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

There's plenty of food on board, you have 8,000 colonists that you'll need to feed and it's not like they expect you to find freshly tilled fields when you arrive.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
CF

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Olothreutes posted:

There's plenty of food on board, you have 8,000 colonists that you'll need to feed and it's not like they expect you to find freshly tilled fields when you arrive.

Cool, how many months/years of food do we have without rationing the rations?

What was Plan A assuming we get to a reasonably decent planet?

I'm assuming the ship is equipped with a hydroponics center etc. If I was planning it I'd have the assumption that a few teams of geologists, biologist farmers etc would be thawed out and the ship would spend a few months or more orbiting and surveying for the optimal location.

How well equipped are we as a secies now? Do we have agricultural machine drone things that can auto till? Do we have a sweet transport crafts? Does the mothership need to be put down? Terraforming options (or at least atmospheric reformation for smaller hab blocks)? I assume things were thrown together but there must have been a lot of contingency planning and the like.

If you don;t want to waste writing time now just ignore these questions until relevant.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
C, E

Basically for reasons everyone else has said already.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Outrail posted:

I'm assuming the ship is equipped with a hydroponics center etc. If I was planning it I'd have the assumption that a few teams of geologists, biologist farmers etc would be thawed out and the ship would spend a few months or more orbiting and surveying for the optimal location.

How well equipped are we as a secies now? Do we have agricultural machine drone things that can auto till? Do we have a sweet transport crafts? Does the mothership need to be put down? Terraforming options (or at least atmospheric reformation for smaller hab blocks)? I assume things were thrown together but there must have been a lot of contingency planning and the like.

If you don;t want to waste writing time now just ignore these questions until relevant.

Seconded, If possible can we get an itemized list of what we have in storage?

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

C F

Gotta give our first officer a chance to see how capable he is. I'd also like to try waiting before cryo to see if it helps at all. That sort of thing would be good to know.

Balder
Apr 3, 2011
C,F

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Outrail posted:

Plan A? Put things on the ground and start living. "Decent" is a pretty wide margin for planets, surprisingly, so maybe if you give me more criteria? You expect a pretty inert atmosphere, nothing like a bunch of ammonia and chlorine hanging around that react to make HCl and N2. The stellar radiation could be an issue, but maybe not? Chances are that even with a thicker than Earth atmosphere there will be a lot more UV and high energy photons making it to the surface of the planet. Sunburn will take on a new meaning, and it's a good thing your cancer screening technology is way better than modern methods because you will probably have to monitor that pretty closely. Depending on what exactly happens in the upper atmosphere you might encounter other particles as well, muons and the like, with a higher incidence than on Earth.

You have about a years worth of supplies, in case something weird happens like you arrive and find out that there's no land to build anything on. Command wants you to be able to have the time to get a solid colony started and your hydroponics and whatnot established. Various factors could influence how long that will take and how successful it will be, so you have a decent buffer. You being awake for a bit longer is not going to starve anyone. The ship itself does not have an active hydroponics setup, though you could easily set up one of the modules inside a cryo bay if you remove the cryopods from it.

The ship itself is modular and is designed to be dismantled in orbit and brought to the surface piecemeal to provide resources for you. The reactor and some critical functions will either have to be the last things down, or you can leave them in orbit. For the crew thawing plan, the general idea is to enter the system about a weeks travel from the planet and begin thawing out the colonists (how you do this and how quickly is up to you as the captain) to begin preparing the equipment for planetfall. If you want to spend some time in orbit to look for the best spots, by all means, you are the captain. It's your job to make this work as best you can.

You are very well equipped by modern standards, and even by future standards. You will be moving most of your material to the planet via :siren:SPACE ELEVATOR:siren: so you don't have to worry about landing craft. You have a great many pieces of equipment, including agricultural machines, but they are not drones. Humans are intensely distrustful of autonomous machines so everything is going to need a human to make it go. As it should be, because robots are evil :colbert:. Atmospheric adjustments could take a minute, but you have the capacity if you want. It's up to you guys to figure out what you can do. If you can think of a good way to scrub something from the atmosphere that you don't want there, tell the engineers to get on it. If you'd rather let your scientists handle that, well, it might take them a bit to figure it out. They'll have a lot of things to be worrying about. Your prefab habitat modules are designed to handle a number of various conditions, which includes maintaining a proper atmosphere.

Telsa Cola posted:

Seconded, If possible can we get an itemized list of what we have in storage?

It is not possible at this time. In general, you have surface vehicles, VTOLs for planetary survey work, heavy VTOLs for moving stuff around if needed, lots of prefab/modular units for building stuff, food, water (which incidentally is a good shield, the majority of it is stored in the outer hull to help protect you), and lots of other things.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.

FaustianQ posted:

Tubal may be relived at the idea of no methane or ammonia, but I'm personally concerned about a cyanogen heavy (relative) atmosphere now. There has to be more wrong with the planet we're going to besides potentially higher UV exposure.

Well if the lack of significant atmospheric hydrogen readings is any indication, it's bone-dry. That's a pretty huge hurdle.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Not Alex posted:

Well if the lack of significant atmospheric hydrogen readings is any indication, it's bone-dry. That's a pretty huge hurdle.
Eh, probably fixable. I think icy asteroids are usually pretty common, and we have a tech level sufficient to make moving them around practical.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Cannon_Fodder posted:

1D.
A month to prep, and analyze the people we have onboard. Find ways to categorize, and organize them to make the best use of time once we land. We need to have a go-live plan for our dudes and now's as good a time as any.

We need to do it now because if there's another factor that degrades the cryo-to-awake process, it might be even worse (and incapacitate us) next time. If we put a good plan in place, a decent foundation, that creates a decent redundancy in case we don't wake up well (or at all).

2. E

I like this plan

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Not Alex posted:

A point to note, the atmospheric composition of air on Earth has no hydrogen in it. Hydrogen would not make the top three of the list here.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Not Alex posted:

There's trace gasses, and even on Earth water vapor is only 3% or less of the atmosphere (it varies, as you may have noticed). Plus it's a cold planet, so most of it should be locked up as ice anyway.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Cannon_Fodder posted:

1D.

2. E

Do this

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

CF

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Cool, so throw hundreds of comets and water/gas rich asteroids into slowly decaying orbits so they burn up in atmo which increases the thickness of the atmosphere without kicking up dust. This improves the greenhouse effect so less ice and more wetlands and thus plantlife and then bam, an ecology we can exploit.

I assume we have a giant seedbank, but we would have chosen seeds that do well in harsh conditions. So basically we're going to spread earths most invasive weeds all over a pristine planet. Go humanity.

How advanced is human/robot interafction? We have aug humans, do we have WH40k style dreadnought combine harvesters we can entomb heavily wounded people in?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Outrail posted:

How advanced is human/robot interafction? We have aug humans, do we have WH40k style dreadnought combine harvesters we can entomb heavily wounded people in?
I think we're probably progressive enough that we see forcing someone to spend the rest of their life as a combine harvester as inappropriate.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ralith posted:

I think we're probably progressive enough that we see forcing someone to spend the rest of their life as a combine harvester as inappropriate.

Or, it's a modular life support system that can be plugged into a harvester, or a transport or whatever. Beats hanging out in a hospital dorm.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
C

E

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

You heard the man. :colbert:

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

C and F. Our job is to delegate and lead. Let's delegate the next status check.

Sure do hope we brought books or the equivalent.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
The wardens keep themselves entertained some how, we could play whatever massively simultaenous card game two of the wardens had going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

it's probably something like rummy, poker, and calvinball, but with truly long cons and bizarre gambits.

meaning we should totally try to jump in on this and decide to go back to sleep purely because it's too complicated and weird.

• Locked thread