Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1) E: F.C. Pibbs. Just called Pibb's for short.
2) L: Military Logistics. You started your career off as a second lieutenant who was good at figuring out what supplies your unit would need, when they'd be needed, and what'd work as an adequate replacement. You ended the war as an acting Brigadier General in charge of evacuation and refugee camps throughout Alaska and Western Canada.
3) 5, 17, 19
4) About to start a duel masters program in Emergency Management and Social Work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1) A, with more tact. Also give the engineer time to acclimate.
2) C, but wake up a different engineer to look into it.
3) F
4) "Behind her you watch the cryo controller register one of the pods open. Then closed. Just a flicker."
I don't think that should have happened... Better wake up a third engineer to look just into that.

Edit: "You, look at the thing that keeps us alive. You, look at the wires that talk between the thing that keeps us alive and the other thing that keeps us alive. You, that light did a weird thing. Figure out if its important or not."

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 25, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FoxTerrier posted:

Yeah, I agree.

I also want to a take a proper look in on the 7 year old, to be more than "pretty sure" they're OK.We can't be sure how this stuff affects children either, so it can't hurt to take the time to take a more proper check.

Diog + foxterriers look at teh little girl. Worst comes to worst we can adopt her as our own

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
One team. Treat it like a drill to be followed by a tabletop simulation.

Here's the simulation we could run with.

Cryogenic malfunction has forced a group to be pulled out/wake up prematurely. So now we have to manually check the chambers to see if anyone else is impacted, then figure out how to handle an extra hundred ppl being awake until the chambers are fixed.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Something like this maybe?

1) Take full inventory
2) Review emergency plans
3) Table top a scenario where some of the cryo cambers had failed, prompting the occupants to wake up. How would we handle something like that until the chambers could be repaired? Then do an after action review. E.g. what were our strengths and weaknesses?

Edit:
4) Write our after-action report. Include our decision not to more completely inspect the birth of the child. Yes, it was an anomaly, but at that point things were mostly accounted for.

Edit 2:
1, 2, 3, and 4 would be time intensive, but they can also be handwaved away assuming the inspections found no problems. It could be TLDR'd as "Everything was fine. We went over what to do in an emergency and held a simulation. We identified some potential problems down the line. Then I did paperwork"

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Aug 27, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Get a check-up, wake up an engineer to look at it who hasn't been woken up yet, figure out how bad the breakup was and if they need a therapist. Didn't they think to include those sorts of getting over a breakup modules in the database?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Wake doctor. Wake head engineer and put him in charge of getting this fixed. Try not to wake the same persons. If continual cryo/wake is doing damage, we will find out after we speak with the doctor. I am willing to make a decision about bringing in the XO after I have data to support it. Figure out what's going on with these 2 Wardens, but don't be a dick about it. They're not in a very easy spot, they're certainly not going to be making their lives any easier by neglecting professionalism with the possible consequence of 8004 corpses.

I forgot why we're waking someone up but I agree with the logic here. Also, I want us to adopt an orphan but just for amusing antics.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Defrost a few medical, security, officers and the head of each department and their second in command. Have a big meeting to discuss what they think is the best course of action. Then assuming they defer to us wake up science and a few more engineers to make plans.

And have everyone rest for a few hours before the meeting to acclimate to the defrost procedure.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cohabitation and genetically engineering things so we can interbreed with the alien life form. For science.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A.
F. Drink as much sugary fluids as is safely allowed before going into cryo. And see about getting an IV set up shortly after you leave cryo. A bag full fluids and electrolytes and nausea meds and pain meds and other medical stuff so when you get up you can get that into your system immediately.

Edit: And see if we can have some at the ready for when our officers wake up in case a few of them don't take well to being woken up. Use the percentage of important people who have a lot of trouble with the wakeup as a baseline for how many colonists will have problems too.

Edit 2: Thinking on it some more, we could give a computer the stats of the people waking up and have a IV cocktail at the ready to meet a baseline level of pain and nausea relief along with all that other good stuff. X can shut off pain receptors so he won't need morphine. Y is sensitive to morphine so give them less. And if the person winds up needing higher levels of meds the computer can sign off on how much more would be safe to give

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Oct 2, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The second part might not be viable, depending on how many resources we have. It could easily use up a decent chunk of meds and IV bags. But the first two parts should still be viable.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm fine with whatever modifications are necessary to be medically safe. IANAD and the OP is going to become a doctor so what he says goes.

A doctor in nuclear engineering if I remember right. So he can only prescribe stuff like OTC iodine tablets, and OTC decontamination showers

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 3, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Plan Outrail

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is Otto's body being preserved, was there an autopsy?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Well, it's a planet that is really hot and really cold. I don't think they'll support HotCold as a name. And someone else probably called dibs on New Earth. Janus doesn't feel like it fits. It's a new world, what about a new world god? Hmm, do we need to go with a god or goddess for the name at all? What are the dominant religions now, if any?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I still think we should go with a new world deity in honor of this being a new world.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Faerunner posted:

Let our watchers, who spent 22 years staring at space for us, name the planet.

Sure!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

changing my vote from Midgaard to Omaissen.

What better name for a planet run by goons than naming it after a guy who died from sitting in a chair for too long.

This

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Switching to Terra Nova

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Establish an elite military unit in his honor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDovt4X1bJY&t=167s

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was going for an Otto's Suicide Squad reference but Goon Squad works too.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So they can pull up all of our cultural milestones? Now I want to name the planet Ziggy after Ziggy Stardust. I'm not changing my vote but that's where my mind is now.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Locking my vote in for Rebecca

It's biblical, it means "to tie firmly", and famous people have been named Rebecca.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think there should still be a vote on it by the crew who are awake. Specifically a vote so it looks like this was the dark horse winner after a long discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
In public we could go with this: Hooboy gets used as the unofficial name, keeping the current designation as the official name because there's more important stuff. And then the unofficial name sticks.

• Locked thread