Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

B: Piter Uvarov

H: Vehicle driver/gunner. I rode in one of the many war machines that humanity built. I’m familiar with most of the military vehicles and how to use a neural interface to control them. I worked closely with the other occupants as a team and also learned to help maintain my ride.

12: Electronic Communications Suite.
16: Neural-Vehicular Interlink.
19: Solar Recharging System.

P: I was a scientist/engineer.

My name Piter. I am truck. I am drive truck too, but I am being truck. I talk to base and I talk to truck and we go. When go, sometimes we need to make stop. At stop there is no outlet so I make sun outlet. You need to of going far or fast, ask Piter. I can fix truck because you see, I am truck to. Talk in head to base, talk to truck. IF ANYONE ELSE, ESPECIALLY THAT SUKA IVAN SAY HE CAN MAKE TRUCK BETTER I WILL MAKE TRUCK MAKE HIM FLAT! I am best at truck, and airship, sometimes boat. Never motorcycle. We do not talk of motorcycle.

Vote me, Piter. Together we go on planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp8hvyjZWHs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Puppies are dicks posted:

This entry doesn't get enough love. Although it seems like a foregone conclusion I vote #Capybara and encourage others to do the same.

Yeah Olo, in the grim future of cyborg/robot warfare did they every go around and start enhancing animals, like a bear or a dolphin. Johnny Mnemonic did it.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Whatever we get, at least include the solar charger. If everything goes down, we don't want to run out of battery and be carrying around a bunch of dead equipment in an emergency situation. We we going into the unknown and self-reliance is the dividing line between life and death when the poo poo hits the fan.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
ACF

Get that poo poo fixed immediately.
Regular pulsing of EM waves are going to be a loud screaming beacon to anyone who can listen. Also if the reactor is losing emag containment and its literally a magnetic fusion reactor then we are in deep poo poo.

The faulty cryo-pods need to be addressed, but what we really need to figure out is if there are saboteurs on board. No pods should be open and with the minor faults in the reactor I am immediately putting on my tinfoil hat.

Additionally wake up a contingent of the security officers. Perform a full sweep of the ship with the engineers. Two officers per engineer. No one goes off alone, no one takes any action without clearing it with us first.

I bet the robots never lost, they just went full digital and could have snuck into the ship aboard a sleeper agent. Better to apologize for some headaches than get caught with our pants down.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Olothreutes posted:

Slaan, voice of reason, Patron Saint of tired engineers.

Never did I think I would call you the voice of reason.

Also now I have to go watch Pandorum.

If your engineers aren't tired then they aren't working. Order written reports on each anomaly before they go back to sleep and then wake them 2 hours later to ask a question about wording and then tell them never mind you got it.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Olothreutes posted:

You are a monster. This is "Make wild claims about the nature of things based on innocuous statements made by Jael" levels of cruel. And less funny :colbert:

Just trying to stay true to the role we are playing and handle our engineers realistically. Haha...ha....haaaaa

:negative:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Olothreutes posted:

You ask, and Bedia replies "Oh, we count reactor cycles, it's very consistent. So, I guess it's a bit like counting fifths of a second, but not quite, since the reactor is a bit faster than that."

That makes sense, you guess? It might be easier to just count actual seconds, but whatever works.

double down paranoia. You always have backup clocks. Check the backups.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Might be sending out contingent colonies. Better to seed humanity secretly across the galaxy then simply slowly build up the solar system and hope you don't get wiped out before you can spread. Multiple colony ships to multiple planets creating unique human groups. Speciation, divergence, multiple solutions to the human condition. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
This is a long voyage where close quarters are shared by only a few people for extended periods of time. On one hand they have two decades to fret away and shouldn't be ordered to waste their lives. On the other this is a ship of 8000 souls and needs to be kept running and two people becoming hateful towards each other is unacceptable.

Have a sit down with the officers. Get all sides of the story independently, including current atmosphere and how it has been affecting ship performance, then discuss options, including rotating the crew out.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Maybe wake the medical officer and have them review our blood chemistry?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Jack into the captain's terminal. Do a heartbeat ping of all systems, then again with all subsystems and then down to individual units. Try and isolate where the failure is before the engineer wakes up.

Some of the lights going off would indicate a harness failure at some sub-junction. ALL the lights going off means a failure of the upstream controller, maybe a supply failure or an output failure, be given that we are seeing the start of a cascading failure it is possible there is a corrosion like problem at a power tap near the generator. Certain functions should be grouped. Correlate lights with the other failures and well pinpoint our source before the engineer wakes up and tells us to do the same thing.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Run down on the risks. Extent of damage and probabilities. Also do we have spares for any damaged systems

Can we do a minimal power mode for the ship and run that through the crying-regulator safely?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
A

Full power shutdown.
We can't afford to blow the regulator and pod's batteries must operate for longer than 20 min.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
1. D

Take a month to relax, Stretch, workout and eat right, as well as making sure we have all our contingency plans in order in case we kick it as well as drawing up some prelim plans for when we make touchdown. Maybe prepare a speech.

2. E

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Outrail posted:

Remember were not on any time frame here. If we end up orbiting the planet for another five years with everyone in Cyro it probably wouldn't make any difference to anyone but those awake. So let's be slow and steady.

Defrost a few medical, security, officers and the head of each department and their second in command. Have a big meeting to discuss what they think is the best course of action. Then assuming they defer to us wake up science and a few more engineers to make plans.

We need to know more about the planet before we make any plans though.

This

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Yeah but see what it did to Ching. Look at her she doesn't do poo poo. Lazing around, not even trying to make a profit factor or purging a dreg.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Jotenheim
It's a giant icy planet.

Near Water
Water gets us our most vital elements, pure water, pure oxygen, and h2/deuterium/tritium. We can drink, we can breathe and we can power. Everything else will follow.

Leave them frozen
Sick people will be an immediate drain on resources, both for medical care and occupying caregivers. 2.5% max is not a statistically significant loss, and the survivors will not be at 100% mentally, physically and most importantly, reproductively. We are in survival mode and priorities have to be to the functionally able. Keeping them frozen gives them and us a better chance at survival

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I'd imagine heavy augh require the patient to be 18/fully grown as you can't go back, but passive/simple augs that are common for everyone get put in early to encourage youth neuroplasticity to integrate with them better.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Changing to "HooBoy" because Hoo Boy what a planet

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Are there Orks in this sector?

Have we seen any disturbances in the Warp?

I just finished the Ciaphas Cain book as my first WH40k read and it was a lot of fun.

Wrong thread?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Irradiate the source for a Smoke Detector and the filament for a camping Lamp. That ought to be an interesting one.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Oh. I got it in my head they were doing Mass Spec on the samples, looking at the decay products and trying to figure out what you irradiated, if that is indeed a thing you can do.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
This is survival/colonization so let's ask ourselves what we need.

Shelter.
Air.
Food.
Water.

So Air and water are covered so long we have power. Solar power can cover for renewable while reactors can sustain larger efforts.

Getting rad proof shelters is going to be the first step towards any of that and so far all we have is down. Digging down gets us heat, shelter and mineral resources.

We can shelter in there during the Day and head out during the night to build up things top side. Research progresses on shielding and anti-cancer while basic sustainability gets going leading to sustaining industry.

We're gonna be mole-men for a few decades but that's barely one generation.

I vote Mole-men in the most geologically stable area. Also keep a gene bank on the ship so that if someone gets their bits cooked we can ghola tank up the next generation.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I'm very sorry captain, we lost Jenkins during the EVA walk. It seems that glitter and puffy stickers lodged in his rebreather intake manifold. It would seem the zebra stripe anti-radiation coating did prevent us from getting nuked however. We will remember Jenkin's sacrifice.

*Jenkins is lowered into a unicorn shaped casket and fired into space.*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Wiped out by the rouge planetiod Nibiru in a storm of X-rays. A cylon hiding in a cryo-pod hacked our sensors.

• Locked thread