Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Atmospheres can be changed. Planets which are too hot or too cold can be corrected with atmospheric engineering or orbital mirrors. Yet, unless our species has anti-grav technology (or the genetic engineering and trans-huminist ideals to cope with it) we will NEVER be able to "fix" a planet with the wrong gravity. You can't fix bad gravity.

So any planet with non-earth standard gravity is out.

What is left?

A and B.

Go with A. It is the most earth like planet based on what we know.

I also propose we name the planet New Midgard because Thor was awesome in The Avengers even if his solo movie was meh.

Can you provide any details on who the Untiring Foe is? Do we need to fear pursuit? Are any of the stars or planets more or less likely to hide the presence of a colony?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

The greatest game which never got a sequel.

Alas.

Well, even if the gravity is not a problem, still sticking with A. If we ever want to hope for our colony to have communication or help Old Earth, the closer the better. It also seems to have the lowest gravity? Lower gravity means easier insertion of satellites into orbit!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 23, 2016

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

And more questions to make this even more complicated!

Do any of them have a moon and if so, how many and how large?

Do any of the systems have planets in them with interesting or potentially useful characteristics?

Are any of them even remotely close to a gas giant? That is a deal killer right there. We don't want the gravity of a big neighbor nearby pulling crap in our direction.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I don't suppose the Wow! signal from Seti came near any of these?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Loel posted:

If we wanted to be like Sol, we wouldnt have left :colbert:

We broke Sol and made it all icky. We want a new Sol!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

1. What is your name?
Lets be Gregor Mendel. The fact we share the same name as the father of genetics is a coincodence.

2. What did you do during the war?
L. We were a doctor.

3. What bionics do you have, if any?
2: Enhanced Optics - Telescopic. Lets you see things far away. Low power draw.
Sniper God Powers Activate!

5: Enhanced Cognition. x2 Basically a small computer, this allows you to do complex calculations and can store and recall a great deal of data. Low power draw.
Double down on extra intelligence.

Lets see really well and think awesome.

4. What did you do before the war?
P: I was a scientist/engineer. Specifically, we were a genetic engineer! gently caress robotic transhuminism, we saw how that worked out. Biological transhumanism is where its at! Lets make better people! This should come in handy when colonizing a new planet, no matter what.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/xKuQK8R.jpg[[/timg]

We may by coincidence have a striking resemblance to this picture. Maybe.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 24, 2016

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Having a mental hookup to a database storage available 24/7 seems like it would be a tremendous advantage to every task involving problem solving or analyzing information.

I remember a time before the internet was readily available(or very good). If I wanted to know something, I had to pick up a drat encyclopedia or go to a library and the information available was limited. How much drat easier is it for me to learn well, anything now? The most obscure facts I can just look up. Learning has become so much easier and quicker.

Multiply that effect a hundred fold since you can now look it up at the speed of thought.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Olothreutes posted:

”Of course. My team and I will prepare for cryo, yes?”
This guy is totally a traitor. Not even finished reading the update. But when something goes wrong, its totally him.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Olothreutes posted:

“How long has it been like this?”

“About two months,” she says. She starts again “Wait. More like a year, I guess. Time is hard sometimes. I don’t think it’s been getting any worse, though.”
Whatever psychological profile was picked for the Warders, this is totally intolerable. They have poo poo judgment.

Is the process of freezing/unfreezing someone something which we have a limited supply of? Would expanding the uh, waking crew with volunteers who wake and go to sleep in intervals be possible, if so? These chuckle fucks are going to get the ship destroyed through ignoring maintenance problems.

1: A.

2: C, also I want to check the computer records for the pod with Thomas Moulton to see if anything weird happened with it.

3. F, we absolutely stay awake. This is serious business.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Aug 26, 2016

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Three questions:

1. How many colonists do we have?
2. Are they stored in hallways or something, a way that a visual inspection could be made?

Edit: Answered.

Edit: Still valid: 3. Would it be crazy to visually inspect each pod for any obvious signs it was opened, would that take more than a few days?

Someone has woken up, who should not have woken up. We can't trust the ships records and scanners to report this, if someone is up to no good they could fake that.

I loving PLAYED ALPHA CENTUARI, THIS CAPTAIN IS NOT BEING ASSASSINATED!

Diogines fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 26, 2016

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Slaan posted:

I BEG you all to consider that these are extremely minor problems. The only reason they were noticed at all is because there was nothing else happening, anywhere. Its a quirk of the ship. If things get worse then Bedia et al will wake us up so we can fix whatever is happening.
Slaan is a loving cylon. And so are one of our "colonists".

A robot snuck on board and is trying to sabotage the expedition.

Anyone who does not support taking this VERY seriously is a cylon and a traitor to humanity.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

While avoiding rapid movements and eye contact with these inhuman monsters.

IRC posted:

19:45:41 | <~Diog> loel, we both independantly accused slaan of being a cylon
19:45:42 | <~Diog> rofl
19:45:48 | <~Diog> I didnt see your post when I made mine
19:46:30 | <loel> :D
19:46:34 | <loel> we are genre saavy :D

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I am voting we wake up a security team (whichever is closest to our current physical location), then manually inspect the 200 pods. Then, the rest of them. All 8,000.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Olothreutes posted:

She is enraptured by the tales. She especially enjoys the one where someone tried to make a device to communicate with dolphins, only to find that they were endlessly annoying. She doesn't have many concerns, in fact she's happy with how well things seem to be going.
What sort of animals did we bring with us, if any? Do we have any fetuses or bio samples? Do we have what we need to resurrect dead species? Are.... there ever going to be dolphins again? :ohdear:

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

B, C.

For an IMPORTANT reason, like a REALLY important one!

1. We have literally nothing to do. We will go back to sleep for years when this is done. We are not using up any limited resources and have all the time in the world.

2. As the GM said....

Olothreutes posted:

No one is really 100% sure about the long term effects of cryo, or repeated cycles of it, because the tech has never really seen use until now. Based on your experience it's highly unpleasant to wake up from. It's possible that it can cause psychological problems as well but there just haven't been enough studies done. Best case is that everyone has to deal with years of backlogged hangover, worst case is that it drives them insane or causes organ failure as their body struggles to deal with repeat trips into suspended animation. Bedia seemed to think you were handling it well with only 15 minutes of laying on the bed unable to move and not vomiting, and the literature you've read agrees.

Cryostasis is a NEW TECHNOLOGY. Our colonists, the entire human species iw counting on us. And we are a scientist with serious expertise in biology! Even if(*) of we don't have a cylon on board, we might pick up some problem with the cryostasis that the ship did not.

We are the last hope for mankind, don't just be lazy, roll over and go back to sleep.

It should only take us a few days to check all the colonists. If they are fine now they should probably be fine the whole trip so we will only need to do this once.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Or a dwarf!? Don't adopt her!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Do we have a clear answer on why humanity is trying to colonize another world around another star, versus, terraforming one in the Sol system, fixing earth or building space habitats?

Given the sort of energy at play to propel this ship, don't we basically have the technology to turn asteroids into all the resources we ever need? Turning asteroids into Stuff is not hard. We have the technology TODAY, the problem is a lack of energy to let us do so. Getting Stuff into orbit to mine asteroids is hard but looks like a non issue for us?

Are we actually fleeing the Cylons, the world government just didn't want us to know?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 26, 2016

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Nothing would be more human than the human species going extinct because we felt lazy, rolled over and went back to sleep rather than getting up and going to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

cat_herder posted:

Also I highly doubt we're the only colony ship that left Earth. There were probably numerous ships heading for other distant stars.
I meant we should act as if we were.

We are mankind's last hope!

• Locked thread