Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

A
K
P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

ACF

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Diogines posted:

I am voting we wake up a security team (whichever is closest to our current physical location), then manually inspect the 200 pods. Then, the rest of them. All 8,000.

Agreed. We've got 18 more years, why worry about "wasting" a few extra days on being extra-sure? It's only paranoia if it wastes limited resources, otherwise it's called "being competent."

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

C

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

One big team. Time is not a limiting factor, and more importantly, never split the party!

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

One team. Treat it like a drill to be followed by a tabletop simulation.

Here's the simulation we could run with.

Cryogenic malfunction has forced a group to be pulled out/wake up prematurely. So now we have to manually check the chambers to see if anyone else is impacted, then figure out how to handle an extra hundred ppl being awake until the chambers are fixed.

This. Prevent morale loss by calling it a training drill, and... actually run a difficult training drill, so as to be better prepared if something does happen.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

It's also possible that there are no actual Cylons, and Slaan, as in other games, is posting to try to destroy everything for the glory of the blood god. There isn't actually any difference in his behavior between that and him being an actual Cylon, though.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Better to be thought of as an overeager new officer than as a paranoid madman.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

ABCDEFG, and take a poll of the people woken for the second time if their waking was worse this time. Let's get some data here, and if everyone is worse, we want to have them designate others to wake instead next time.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Loel posted:

That seems ... excessive.

Maybe skip the earlier engineers and Vladimir, after waking the science officer first and getting his feedback on our theory that repeated waking is worse.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Sir Unimaginative posted:

How long can you be out of the freezer before it's problems to put people back in?

Or until you actually recover from the ill effects, at least sort of?

Do we have any documentation on this? Would it actually not be a bad idea to stick around for a thorough (weeks to a month and change) inspection so we aren't left literally reeling next time?

I agree with this, we should wake up a doctor and get an extremely thorough check up before going under again.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

garland336 posted:

This kind of reminds me of this. I'm less worried about cylons than I am about people. Aside from nukes, the cylons in the remade BSG were hardly as antagonistic as the paranoid crew / residents / themselves, IMO. Mostly they were just acting as glorified shepherds. The humans were almost always the cause of their own worst disasters.

So you think the genius robot guy's "problem" could be that humans were too lazy to invest hard in colonization, so to prevent our extinction we needed a robot "push" out of the nest?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

A

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

C E , test if the reset works. Take the time to research the effects of cryo, if we have any tools to do so. As a genetic engineer we should have general biological research skill.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I voted to stay up for a couple weeks doing biological research on ourselves before we decide then wake up just by default, something we should be capable of doing, and something they couldn't have done on earth before for lack of test subjects.

Can we get the results of that, and then vote again?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Hexenritter posted:

Plan Outrail.

Also I think asking for input isn't necessarily a sign of weakness or incapability. If your department heads feel like you value their input they'll be more positively disposed towards you.

Agreed. Plan Outrail, but don't tolerate insubordination. Just solicit input, and decide ourselves after we get more input.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

This, just also mandate that anyone coming out of cryo spends at least a week recovering before they can go back in.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

1.EC
2.H

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Olothreutes posted:

In all, without care the mortality rate is anywhere from 5 to 95%, with treatment it is 5 to 50%, with death happening in four to six weeks after exposure.

Because of the nature of the damage, there really isn't anything you can do to treat the majority of it. You can provide them with some comfort care, and dope them with some crazy good antibiotics to help prevent secondary infections, but the majority of the damage is already done.

Most of these people are highly cybernetically enhanced already. Couldn't we drastically increase the survival rate by simply waiting for cloning of bone marrow transplants and thorough cybernetic organ replacements where necessary?

I suppose that is part of the "wait to thaw until safer option", but shouldn't we be able to dip into our medical cybernetic parts supplies to thaw out some number of them with a higher success rate, and wait to thaw the rest until we can build more parts?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Olothreutes posted:

I edited those in for you. Hopefully the find/replace didn't do anything too weird.

Bone marrow is indeed an issue, but it's not the only issue. There's substantial damage to, well, basically everything. You also can't know for sure who got 3 Gy and who only got 2 Gy, and who took most of that dose to the brain vs to the legs. The safest assumption is a uniform field, but it's probably not the most accurate model.

Having bionic legs won't help your stomach lining, eyes, brain, and other squishy bits inside you. If they were handling a radioactive source, for instance, having bionic arms would indeed help them a lot. This isn't that case here. The bionics will outlive the people though, it takes hundreds of gray to kill electronics, so you could hose off the ones from the dead people to replace broken parts on other people and hope that there are no ghosts in the machine?

Legs and arms might not be helpful, but I would imagine that cybernetic hearts, lungs, livers, and high quality cloned or artificial blood or bone marrow would get the death rate closer to 5% even if we can't do anything about brain damage. How are our supplies of those looking?

edit: Maybe we could wake up just a few, if there are any somewhat vital people in that section? I did vote for keeping them all asleep for now, but that includes starting to work on research on how to save them, which is what I'm going for here.

Question Time fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 31, 2016

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Why don't we get the input of our other staff on the name?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Outrail posted:

It kind of takes away from the 'choosing your own adventure' but thawing out the most qualified people and telling them to decide and act as adjudicator is the smarter thing to do.

This, I vote for thawing experts and getting more advice.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

All those background radiation levels seem low enough to not really be an existential threat, though we should have shelters ready in case of radiation storms.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

If this planet is getting 40 Gy/hr of unshieldable muon radiation even once a year, we cannot live there, and anyone who lands is dead. We have to test how much of the radiation is penetrating, so we should send a probe into the deepest cave we can find, and wait until another storm happens so that we can directly measure how bad it is there.

We also need to get ideas on how else to measure the muon content, and if it is shieldable, construct robust shielding and warning systems.

If the radiation is unshieldable, though... I hope we can somehow collect enough fuel to head to another system!

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Olothreutes posted:

Determining how much of the flux is muons should be pretty easy. You just need to get a detector down on the surface under something you are confident will shield most of the non-muon radiation and see what comes through. This shouldn't be difficult, beyond finding a place to put the detector and then waiting for a storm.

Let's do this first.

It sounds like the best shielding would be to generate a strong magnetic field at the base at all times, similar to on the ship? Is this achievable, and if so is it safer in the long term than harvesting some fuel and moving to the next system? If the generator fails during a storm even once over a period of centuries, everyone dies.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

The more we learn about this place the worse it sounds. Lets just not live on it at all. Space mining will make do for resupplying lost materials and if we absolutely must we can send a skeleton crew of miners down after our probes have found any nessesary materials that don't appear anywhere else.

If the muon fears are overblown, and we can shield adequately just by digging our base deeply enough, it should be good enough. Otherwise, I fear you are right.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Yeah, assuming the drone tests reveal that the radiation storms require a ship-class magnetic field to block them, we need to really consider/ have a roundtable with all our officers on whether it would be possible to move on to another system, and/or set up asteroid mining further out away from the radiation, or to stay and build what amounts to a ship on the ground and hope it can last hundreds or thousands of years in what amounts to harsher conditions than deep space.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

the_steve posted:

I might have missed it, but, what even are our options if we decide to pass on Hooboy?

I was under the impression we had put most of our metaphorical eggs in this basket.

This is basically what I am asking as well. Is it possible to set up an asteroid mining base? Is it possible to move on to another system? Is it possible to set up a small mining base on planet and build factories to resupply the ship, while keeping the ship operational and many of the people frozen or ready to refreeze?

It seems like we could survive a temporary colony for a period of time, but unless the radiation can be passively shielded , long term survival is impossible. At some point over the next several hundred years war will break or something that means that the generators might go down, and then everyone dies. Even an asteroid colony seems safer as long as it is far enough away that the radiation has attenuated. This depends, again, on the specifics of the technology we have.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

If we're staying on planet we are definitely going to need extreme redundancy in both the power sources and shields, even if it slows down other development.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Plan McSpanky

Though with only 18 people, we can stay up here almost indefinitely without denting our food stores, so let's make sure we learn absolutely everything we can up here before we do anything we can't take back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

A F G K

• Locked thread