Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
C sounds like fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Diogines posted:

Well, even if the gravity is not a problem, still sticking with A. If we ever want to hope for our colony to have communication or help Old Earth, the closer the better. It also seems to have the lowest gravity? Lower gravity means easier insertion of satellites into orbit!
Our tech level is likely such that lifting things into orbit is not going to be an incredibly expense. Olothreutes mentioned in IRC that we may have a space elevator from the start.

I want to know why there's hydrogen lines coming from C. I admit this vote is more about making the game interesting than optimizing our chances. Anyway, with mostly oxygen and nitrogen there's a good chance we'll need only very simple breathing equipment, if any.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 23, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
A, K, 5+12+19, Q Let's be someone qualified to be in charge.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Hold on, why are solar implants even a thing? Do we expect to spend most of our time naked? Just get a solar T shirt or something! Rescinding my vote for solar.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
ACF why would we not play it safe?

Gently advise Bedia that next time you awake you expect to have a detailed written report waiting for you. Our wake-up times are known in advance, there's no excuse for not being expected, or for not having information like "exactly how long has the reactor been malfunctioning" readily available

Wake up our security guy too. Almost certainly unnecessary, but why not? He's a soldier, he can deal with a few headaches.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
C, don't revisit the girl, do make friends with the security guys

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Pairs or trios

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
G + start trading off with the XO

Seems like repeated wakeups might be harmful so let's be conservative.

Do we have any back-up wardens?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Don't nag Bedia further about her relationship, we have no reason to believe it needs more attention and we might hurt more than help

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Come to think of it--there are no emergency backup lights? This ship really was built in a hurry.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Do not wake up Vlad, he doesn't need the brain damage, we are not under attack by methodist roombas or whatever it is you people are hallucinating

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Can't we just shut down the engines rather than the whole ship, thereby putting the load in-spec for the cryo distributor?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Do a thorough check of the cryo systems before fiddling with the power one way or another

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
CF

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Not Alex posted:

Well if the lack of significant atmospheric hydrogen readings is any indication, it's bone-dry. That's a pretty huge hurdle.
Eh, probably fixable. I think icy asteroids are usually pretty common, and we have a tech level sufficient to make moving them around practical.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Outrail posted:

How advanced is human/robot interafction? We have aug humans, do we have WH40k style dreadnought combine harvesters we can entomb heavily wounded people in?
I think we're probably progressive enough that we see forcing someone to spend the rest of their life as a combine harvester as inappropriate.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's our job, we'll do our best to handle it until we can't anymore. Take the next shift.
Lots of things are our job. Our most important responsibilities probably aren't going to be mid-flight, and it's our responsibility to be fully prepared for them...

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I'm confused about why we're mass-defrosting people. Don't we have years to go still?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
F is the one most likely to impact our planning, I think.

We should spend a year or two orbiting the planet, maybe gradually awakening small numbers of scientists to study it from orbit, before we start mass-thawing people, so that we can plan things which as much information as possible if that wasn't already the plan.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

vorebane posted:

Wait a sec, this planet is 1.6 larger in volume, 3 times the mass and only 1.1 times the gravity? I feel like something is off in the math.
F = G m1 m2 / r^2
V = 4/3 pi r^3

V_earth = 1, V_new = 1.6
(3/(4 pi) V)^(1/3) = r
r_earth = ~0.62, r_new = ~0.73

F_new / F_earth = (G 3 m2 / r_new^2) / (G 1 m2 / r_earth^2)
= (3/~0.53) / (1/~0.38)
= ~2.19

Yeah, that doesn't seem right. But if we assume the warden meant to say what the warden actually said was radius:

F_new / F_earth = (3/1.6^2) = 1.17

So that's probably the real deal.

The upside to this: if this planet works out, gravity will be about the same but there'll be about 1.6^2 = ~2.6 times the amount of space. Score!

Ralith fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 15, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Bede posted:

Force of gravity is proportional to mass/(radius squared). 1.1 is about right.

Volume is not radius.

e: Oh, OP actually said radius in the first place. Whoops.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Outrail posted:

Wake all of the department heads, we need a plan that they can all have input into. Let's give them all a week to go over the new data and see what they think. They're the experts so let's use that.
Don't do this until we're entering the system. There's no point getting ahead of ourselves, especially when we have such limited information.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 20, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Outrail posted:

We'll be a few weeks before we hit the system, we should have more than enough info for them to digest. And giving them a few weeks to talk and become friends now is time well spent, we need them to be on side.
Whoops, read 90% of the update on my phone then got back to a real computer and got confused.

Plan Outrail

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Olothreutes posted:

"Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out these orbital discrepancies. There's something going on here and I can't figure out what it is."
Totally deadpan, "Is it aliens?" Hold a straight face for three seconds then crack up.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Hexenritter posted:

"Occam's Razor, Cedric. Run a theoretical model based on the existence of an additional planetary body, using the known dynamics of existing bodies in the system and see if it balances out the abnormalities."
While we've been asleep, they've been studying this for long enough to get a graduate degree in the question. If we must make uneducated layman's guesses, we shouldn't phrase them like we think we're smarter than them.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Yeah, let's absolutely pry for more details. What're their best theories? What actions can we take to learn more? Can we drop off a probe in a useful orbit on our way in or something?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Outrail posted:

We're not firing it ahead of us, we're just detaching it before we start to decelerate. The only thing we have to make sure is that the heading is correct and that there's nothing of the ship ahead of the probe.

It wouldn't be useful to detach a probe until we're more or less done decelerating, because a probe won't have the delta-v necessary to decelerate from interstellar velocities. We can probably drop it off on the way in, but it seems like that'll be after we next wake up.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Outrail posted:

Why the hell would you want it to decelerate from interstellar velocity?
Because blowing things up for no reason is a waste of resources? :confused:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Outrail posted:

Blah blah blah and finally we used one of our precious drones to blow a hole in the super massive gas giant, spewing debris through out the system.
Any questions?

"So, is the planet inhabitable?"

"Well, it was."

It's not science unless you're doing it to test a reasonable hypothesis :colbert:
Even then, it's not good science unless you've determined that it's an efficient use of the available resources.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
E > B > D > A We have future science, I don't think geothermal power is going to be really super important to us. I mean, it's nice and reliable, but even the most unreliable systems can be made reliable with enough redundancy. Let's focus on stuff that we can't easily fix. Although I bet we could warm the place up a bit with some mass-scale greenhouse gas production or orbital mirrors...

H 2.5% of our colonists should not represent a major loss of manpower, particularly given that a large proportion of them would be likely die pretty soon anyway. All that death would be bad for morale too. This seems like a pretty easy decision, to be honest, not sure what our scientist's deal is. Maybe her ex is in that group?

Chocolate Chunk posted:

C > B > E We can get heat off of the geothermal power, even if our outdoor excursions may be more limited than somewhere warmer. Ensuring that we have that power and don't die from Rocks Falling, our biggest priority is not dieing from radiation.
See, preference voting's not so bad!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Butt Discussin posted:

I suppose that is part of the "wait to thaw until safer option", but shouldn't we be able to dip into our medical cybernetic parts supplies to thaw out some number of them with a higher success rate, and wait to thaw the rest until we can build more parts?
It's literally 2.5% and we planned to lose people on the way to begin with. Keeping them in cryo should be a nonissue and spending limited resources to get them out sooner sounds like the worst of both worlds. I think our scientist is just kind of nutty.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

RandomPauI posted:

Switching to Terra Nova
Any variation on "new earth" is in pretty poor taste, since we're one of many separate colonization efforts.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Svalbard > Midgard > *

Ralith fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 2, 2016

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Birthday Oral posted:

Hooboy, home of Hoomans
:roflolmao:
Changing my vote to Hoo Boy > Svalbard, Niflheim, Midgard > *

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Hexenritter posted:

I'm so absolutely down with Hooboy, Otto's Rest and Gravitas Free Zone. I've been giggling like an idiot watching the voteshift for the planet's name.

JT Jag posted:

This is the Whataplanet system. This is Hooboy, Whataplanet. The big one with all the moons is Goshdarn, Whataplanet. And so forth.
:allears: all of this

I hereby coin Ralith's Postulate: As the time since an update in a popular, active CYOA increases, the probability of someone devising a comedy option which is too good not to win approaches 1.

At this rate we're going to cause a mutiny or cultivate a culture that's defined by either laid-back irreverence or resentful disillusionment. No regrets.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Mining dead stars sounds really hard. Nice to have a bunch of extra mass handy for if we eventually get stupid levels of tech, I suppose.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Faerunner posted:

Depending what the probe tells us about the composition of the landing site, we COULD dig and partially bury shelters to help with radiation shielding. I know very little about radiation - how much dirt or rock do we need to have above us in order to effectively manage radiation? Is there lead available on the planet surface, and/or can we re-use the water shielding idea from the ship? Actually... in theory, filling a space in the walls with flowing geothermally-heated water would give us warm interiors AND radiation shielding! Right?
Or just build literal igloos. I feel like stellar radiation isn't going to be a big issue, at least until we start messing about with the climate--people will be spending most of their time indoors anyway.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Furthermore, if we eventually find ourselves in a position to mess about with the climate enough that people want to spend lots of time outside, we're probably going to be equipped for mass relocations if necessary. Terraforming is a literally astronomical scale project after all.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I'm telling you, giant orbital mirrors! Assuming simple greenhouses alone won't do the trick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Doesn't Planet X have a ridiculous level of gravity?

• Locked thread