Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
Three important implants stand out to me as uniquely irreplaceable effects. Likewise these are the ones that are the hardest for a new colony to implement.

Enhanced Cognition
Neural-Vehicular Interlink
Reduced Nutritionary Requirements

Everything else can be done with outside gear to some extent. Seriously half are just partially replacing a decent enviro suit.

K
Q

Not Alex fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Yea, we definitely smell a rat.

ACF

Have the engineer checkout the "properly functioning" cyro terminal for tampering. It's possible someone got tripped up by hardwired bridge security or something.

Do the cryopods have view ports? Can we spend a couple days doing an in-person head check? See if there are empty pods?

Does the ship computer register which of the motion sensitive lights are on and when?

Do the pods that are "flickering" exclusively contain people with cognitive implants or is there some other linking factor? The prior one would be very bad.

On that note can we set up a log of the errors?

Could the mag seal anomaly on the reactor be a result of power being rerouted elsewhere on the ship?

Arrange for additional security for our cryochamber before we go back under.

Underline that last task several times on our to-do list.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

What do we know about the wardens? The "We, I mean uh, I!" thing and the fact 3 of them didn't notice us is slightly worrying.

Four years deeply interfaced with a computer and no one but three other people socially profiled to not mind 22 years of extreme isolation.

Frankly I would just stay calm, speak quietly and not make any sudden movements around them. They're not gonna be people persons. We basically have to trust them because they may as well be aliens in terms of how easy it would be to replace them. They are uber goons.

What we've seen of Bedia so far is actually quite encouraging. She remains empathetic, enjoys exercise, and can carry on reasoned conversation outside of the machine interface.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Diogines posted:

Whatever psychological profile was picked for the Warders, this is totally intolerable. They have poo poo judgment.

I'd bet you she was lackadaisical about it cause it's not her subsection. She seems in charge of cryo and crew stuff. I suspect the reactor sperglord would have talked our ear off about how he modeled the mag vortex patterns and monitored it to hell and back.

On that note, get a face to face report from each of them. Gently.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Loel posted:

A/C, and make some small talk. Character development!

Yep

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Butt Discussin posted:

So you think the genius robot guy's "problem" could be that humans were too lazy to invest hard in colonization, so to prevent our extinction we needed a robot "push" out of the nest?

I've been running under that assumption. All my paranoia has been directed at our fellow humans and the possibility of one of them wanted to set up their own personal slave colony or something.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Originally sounded like there was moving parts, sorry about that.

What about thermal regulation? As the reactor outputs energy this should build up within the ship as space is a poor radiator, you don't actually want to use the entirety of the ship as a heatsink. This means pumps of some sort to direct the flow of heat energy to a proper heatsink or radiator, and failure of such a system basically turns the ship into slag.

Maybe http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Laser_Heat_Sink?

It's always disco'o'clock on the Absolution :frogsiren:

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Tubal may be relived at the idea of no methane or ammonia, but I'm personally concerned about a cyanogen heavy (relative) atmosphere now. There has to be more wrong with the planet we're going to besides potentially higher UV exposure.

Well if the lack of significant atmospheric hydrogen readings is any indication, it's bone-dry. That's a pretty huge hurdle.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

It's CYOAs all the way down.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Alright, space zombies subplot discovered and neutralized. Thanks science.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Yea I agree. We're planning to orbit a bit before disembarking anyway. All of these will be checked. Two of them benefit from the extra time; climate data and stellar neighborhood information. Let's get cataloging now while it's easy.

E

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

What about another chthonian planet possibly careening in from outsystem that was captured by the sun and now orbits very quickly just within the sun's surface? Just a giant blob of molten metal whizzing through plasma.

That'd be a hell of a thing. I'm not sure what all the repercussions would be, but I figure there'd at least be a hell of a discharge every so often.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Midgard

1. BC A touch mutually exclusive I know.
2. H

Some questions: What are the tolerances for the space elevator? Is a quake going to be disastrous? And how much of the surface is ice? If it's as much as it looks, we lucked out.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Some justification for Midgard: It's the middle planet. Niefelheim is the dark giant behind us and Muspell is the scorching cthonic by the sun(home of the fire giant Sutr). The radioactive death world is Hel, land of the dead and the giant with many moons is Jotunheim or Asgard depending on how we feel about colonizing said moons. Leaving the star of course as Yggdrasil.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

the_steve posted:

Why not set ourselves up as God?
I mean, that's how it'd develop if something ever happens to the space elevator and people are stranded on the planet.

"The gods came to us from the great moon road with mighty mechanical beasts and the first plants that we enjoy now. But we angered them, and in their rage, destroyed their great road, leaving us to fend for ourselves. We hope one day to regain their favor."

"His followers called him Mahasamatman and said he was a god. He preferred to drop the Maha- and the atman, however, and called himself Sam. He never claimed to be a god. But then, he never claimed not to be a god."

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

"I'd say name it Omaissen, after Otto." You know that Otto's full name was Otto Jermaissen. Cedric wants to name the planet in honor of his friend, who died on the way here.

Sold. Changing my vote from Midgard to Omaissen

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Olothreutes posted:

:ohdear: Hoo boy?

I suppose that this is to be expected, goons did name a Mesopotamian dog Snarls Barkley, and a fortress "Balls Deep."

My favorite is that we just asked someone's opinion and they gave a heart-felt tribute to their dead friend. We go silent for a long moment then perk up "Nah, I'm gonna call it Hoo Boy."

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Just in case it wasn't clear I'm also :bandwagon:ing Hooboy

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Outrail posted:

Yeah, her outrage will fuel our first schism.

Toss her into the reactor and it'll fuel the colony instead.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Outrail posted:

Right, so -40C weather and the floor is Lava.

Man, we're gonna end up so good at thermal energy manipulation if we settle here. And the amount of power available? Temperature differentials like that are super useful for all sorts of wacky power plants.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Agreed on B and C probes.

I don't know much about orbital mechanics but equatorial locations provide a bit of a boost when moving things into orbit. Even with a space elevator, the relative speed of the top station would make it easier for ships to move into stable orbits from it.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Outrail posted:

I just wanna throw relativistic rocks at Planet X.

And/or Otto.

Just a friendly knock on the door to let the neighbors know we're new in town?

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Ralith posted:

Or just build literal igloos. I feel like stellar radiation isn't going to be a big issue, at least until we start messing about with the climate--people will be spending most of their time indoors anyway.

Yea, I agree. Anything getting through a couple feet of ice is getting through most things, regardless.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sure if there are any ferrous asteroids or metal deposits on the planet we can get tons of powered shielding up. Remember the place is super conducive to geothermal power. Juice to spare. So large emplaced "ship" shields seem viable. Multiple redundancies as well.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Y'all are awfully put off by a bit of hard rads.

Digging deep isn't the answer because muons. So the answer has to be shielding technology. If we're building future tech shields there's no reason we can't live on the surface.

Heavy industry needs energy, room and raw materials. The planet offers all that much more freely than being interstellar drifters. Now, I'm fine with drifters as a longer term goal, but let's at least settle in and tool up right.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Guys, muons travel through quite a lot of dirt. Like kilometers of rock.

Burrowing does nothing. Shields are the only answer, so you may as well have a sky and some windows.

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Why are we messing with large scale planet scaping when we have a delightful suite of genetic and cybernetic augmentation? Change the people.

Hooboy is cold, irradiated, and lacking oxygen. Space is cold, irradiated, and lacking oxygen. Traits that could help us here could help us be deep space drifters in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Plan McSpanky

• Locked thread