Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
E. Adam Armstrong. Having a name that came alphabetically first was a minor advantage in getting training before the war.

I. Thanks to my pre-war skills, I saw a lot of action in LEO and orbital insertions. Hell of a tough job, but I was up to it.

1, 10, 12. Being able to communicate without a radio was a major asset when things want sideways - as they often did on ops. Enhanced optics were a no-brainer, too. As for the dermal armour... well, any bit of shielding against cosmic rays is a good thing.

T. Ironically, before the war, I was probably one of Earth's few astronauts, and one of the fewer on the ground. Not really a surprise, then, that I'm being considered to lead this mission. It's what I trained for, after all.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
ACF. It's not that any of this is especially serious now, but it's better to check it before it turns into a big problem. At the very least we can check and be sure it's not something that could affect the mission.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

FoxTerrier posted:

Yeah, I agree.

I also want to a take a proper look in on the 7 year old, to be more than "pretty sure" they're OK.We can't be sure how this stuff affects children either, so it can't hurt to take the time to take a more proper check.

Except that if damage is cumulative - say, every time you thaw and freeze - we're risking the health of a 7 year old for no better reason than 'let's see if it's working'.

A, but I'm against opening up any more cells at this point unless there's a clear indication of an actual problem.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

FoxTerrier posted:

I assumed it was possible to do a better visual check without thawing? I may have missed that part of the update tho

Oh, I thought you were wanting to thaw out the little girl, not just do a better visual check. Sorry :shobon:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to vote we not wake up the same engineers we woke up last time, and try and go with a rotation if we don't absolutely need someone specific. Because if we're any indication, the more you freeze and thaw, the worse the backlash hits.

We should probably check if we have anyone whose field relates to the cryo units. I'm pretty sure the worsening of symptoms on cryo cycles is something that needs to be considered.

Anyway, do some investigation of the severity of the problem first, but it'll probably need us to wake up Tubal if it turns out to be equipment related rather than crew related.

I guess that's A/C?

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 28, 2016

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Dream analysis is a crock, and whoever's closest to a psychoanalyst on the ship would just tell us it's our anxieties over the mission and our being in command that are making us have dreams of failure, here's a sedative.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

+1 to not pressing the issue with Bedia.
Put it in perspective. We're her boss, and in the past 12 years, she's seen us twice, for a total of maybe 6 hours. We might like her, but, we're not really friends yet.
If we press the issue too hard, we're just going to freak her out and make it awkward, especially since we'll just be leaving for another 4 years once everything is settled down.
Give her one of those canned "It'll be ok, you'll find the right person one day." lines, and move on.

+1 to waking up the Chief Engineer and Vladimir. Let him decide if he wants to wake up anyone else after he's been briefed.

This. We can figure something out with the doctor or XO once this issue's dealt with, but for now we ought to concentrate on diagnosing and solving the problem with the ship.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Olothreutes posted:

[...] cognitive effects like reduced critical thinking and reasoning abilities [...]

Simulated in this CYOA by the goon vote.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Changing my vote. I'd forgotten that Vlad is chief of security, and not one of the engineers - this doesn't seem like an act of sabotage, and so there's no real point in waking him up right now, especially if we need him on a later thaw.

Don't wake up Vlad. Wake up the Chief Engineer.

If we can narrow down what the problem is at all, we could get started on waking a subordinate engineer with the relevant specialty - but until we have something more solid than 'oh it could be sabotage', we shouldn't assume so and risk harm to our chief security officer.

Occam's Razor, guys.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 8, 2016

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I would really feel better having the cryo units stay powered, but the backup power is probably more than sufficient for a 20-minute interruption. Do we know how long the backup batteries are rated for at a minimum?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If they're rated for a full day, I vote A.

Wonder if there's any way we could output what we 'see' to a video feed - it could be useful in a blackout situation - but I suspect that might be a step too far at the moment.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Olothreutes posted:

This is indeed something you can do, I'll put it to a minivote, the first part of the update will be the same either way.

Would you like to wait until your time awake is over to decide who is taking the next shift?
A: Yes.
B: No.

A - yes; if we learn more while we're awake, then we can make a better-informed decision.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Remember were not on any time frame here. If we end up orbiting the planet for another five years with everyone in Cyro it probably wouldn't make any difference to anyone but those awake. So let's be slow and steady.

Defrost a few medical, security, officers and the head of each department and their second in command. Have a big meeting to discuss what they think is the best course of action. Then assuming they defer to us wake up science and a few more engineers to make plans.

We need to know more about the planet before we make any plans though.

It seems silly to thaw out the rank and file when we've got time enough for a more comprehensive roundtable with the department heads. If we discover any major challenges, we can decant the relevant SMEs as they arise.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Por que no los dos?

Save the rocks for the neighbors.

The question is, bacon flavoured asari or bacon flavoured hanar? The approaches would be rather different.

Not gonna speculate on bacon flavoured Quarians, that already got one forum axed.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Bioware closed their Social Forum back in August. I'm not saying it was all the fault of Tali Sweat Enthusiasts, but given the closure of GBS, I'm not taking chances.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
A, and F with a modified RandomPauI - have the IVs / sugars ready post-thaw, but I don't think bumping our sugars above baseline pre-thaw is necessary or really desirable; we could be causing damage going the other way. Better to keep as close to a 'normal' state as possible - besides, we're only going to need to do this two more times unless something goes horribly wrong. Better to stick with something we know is safe.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
E. I mean, I really would like to know if there's significant risk of cometary impacts because of the solar system's configuration, and know it early, rather than once the comets start hitting.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

A - I'm assuming this will let us know whether or not we'll be able to breathe the air there?

I believe that it's pretty much guaranteed not to be breathable given the reports we've already seen coming in.

E: at least initially, anyway.

I still feel that the structure of the local system should be our priority on the way in. From out system we can detect any possible problems early, especially - as I mentioned before - possible comet 'families' - and can start on ways to counteract them. Geology, atmosphere, etc are all things we can deal with better, and study in better detail, in orbit.

Actually, gonna modify my answer to B & E - if we rely on orbital infrastructure for the settlement it would also be nice to know about, say, solar flare cycles that might short out our fancy, and possibly irreplaceable, satellites.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 16, 2016

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Well yeah, my point is knowing there's intelligence isnt going to effect our plans much at this point.

But if the planet surface is hosed were going to have to look at orbital habits or peace out or something.

Also geology tells us the likelihood of being able to farm.

Let's be honest, though - if it's so geologically active as to be uninhabitable, we should be able to determine that from the basic data collection; determining how farmable it is isn't essential, given that we have hydroponics equipment available. Determining orbits for asteroids / comets and other small bodies is likely to take more time, and be more difficult when we arrive.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

"Is it aliens Cedric? Are there aliens in the system?!?"
*grab him by the shoulders* "Is it loving aliens tell me?!?!"

It's not aliens... but it could be the Melachim. Sorry. I'm not allowed to say.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Why do we even need a mythological name? Why don't we just call it "Fifty Words" after the (disproven) idea that Eskimos have fifty different words for snow?

I mean, if you really wanted to be clever you could just name it 'fire-ice' in Basque ("Suizotza") - because the odds of anyone on the ship being a Basque speaker are, like, nil. Or "ice-lava" in Maori, "Tiorangitoto".

I can vouch for the accuracy of none of these translations, btw.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'd probably name a major geological feature after Otto, but not the planet. Is there an approximate breakdown of where are colonists are from? It might make more sense to pull a name from the dominant ethnic group's mythology.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
How about naming it after the northernmost permanently inhabited settlement on Earth? That should be fairly neutral, culture-wise, and appropriate.

Edit: Or just name it Nord.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 2, 2016

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Alert. :canada:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Xarbala posted:

I'm fine switching to Omaissen or Terra Nova, whichever is currently higher, so long as it means the colonists aren't plopping down onto a planet and saying "Hey guys this is the real Ultima Thule, congratulation, we done it"

On second thought if we named the planet Norway that would actually be kind of incredible.

Remember, the colonial demonym will be derived from the planet name. Svalbardian? Midgardian[lol]? Jotunheimers[lmao]? Omaissenian? Terra Novan?

Norwegian.

Yeah, but if we go with Ultima Thule, we could conceivably be called Ultimates.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Absolution Ship's Log posted:

”So, what do you want to call it?”

"Hoo boy, what a tough decision."

"Great! 'Hoo Boy' it is!"

"Wait no I didn't mean-"

"...aaaaaand I've entered it in the astronomical log. Congratulations, Captain; you now command the mission to settle the planet 'Hoo Boy'."

"- that wasn't -"

"Whoops, I just hit the 'send' button to transmit it to Earth, making it official. What are your plans for the settlement of 'Hoo Boy', Captain?"

"- gently caress you all."

(of course they're just having you on... or are they?)

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Personally, I think we should wake up anyone specialized in bioengineering, so we can have genegineered tibetan mastiffs as companion / working animals once we reach the surface.

Also probably a good idea to shake out some geologists and engineers once we have one or several sites selected.

That said, I don't suppose there were any passes done with a magnetic / gravity survey satellite? Knowing if there were few or many possible deposits of metals detected might sway selection of a landing site.

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 24, 2016

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Loel posted:

I support plan relativistic otto

edit: his crater can be our landing site :3:

isn't that idea a little ottovistic

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Butt Discussin posted:

All those background radiation levels seem low enough to not really be an existential threat, though we should have shelters ready in case of radiation storms.

If the temperature's low enough to have snow most of the year, we could use pykrete (or similar) for relatively cheap shielding, so long as we were careful about building a pad for it to sit on.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I'm still thinking pykrete, here. It's mostly water, for one, and it's strong enough to make an aircraft carrier out of, so it should be strong enough to build shelters from.

Plus, it's actually been considered for a shielding material for long space voyages, so there's that too.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

vorebane posted:

pykrete is ice and wood shavings, I think? Do we have a forest currently growing on board? Because I don't like our chances of finding a forest on Hooboy.

It doesn't have to be wood, though. We can probably produce cellulose from some sort of biological stock; bamboo comes to mind as one that would probably grow effectively in hydroponics.

Also, same on the -24 C. I'm of a mind to start a fresh fire in the woodstove.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Olothreutes posted:

The outside air temperature on my flight home hit -65 C today. It feels appropriate.

Windspeed was over 800 kph, but I think that's cheating.

Give me 2 months and I'll probably hit -65 C with windchill here, without having windspeeds over 100km/h.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Patrick Spens posted:

Where the gently caress do you live?

Canada.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Central SK. It was worse when I was living in Manitoba, though; here at least it's more of a dry cold, so it's just the needle-cold wind finding the gaps in your clothes, but there it was a wet cold that seeped into your bones. Also the lakes seemed to make for even more intense wind and I think my eyeballs froze a little last winter.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
They didn't freeze solid. If I had had any over-the-glasses ski goggles I would have been fine. My eyes are fine, too, just a little tender occasionally.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

You went skiing wearing just glasses?

In sub - 30C?

Did the cold penetrate your skull?

No, I was walking the 10 minutes to campus, in jacket, toque, military scarf, ski gloves, fleece-lined pants, and boots.

The wind and cold still froze my drat eyeballs. Maybe if I'd been wearing plastic-framed glasses...

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Irradiated maple syrup. That one would be fun, especially if they can't smell it :v:

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Olothreutes posted:

Because it's a liquid we would have to encapsulate it, like we do the table salt, so they would not be able to smell it. The problem with maple syrup is that it's almost certainly just a hydrocarbon, so mostly carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen; none of which irradiate well because they are quite stable and absorb very few neutrons, and even for those they do absorb (carbon will do the most absorbing, followed by hydrogen, it is nearly impossible to put extra neutrons on oxygen for various quantum mechanics related reasons) they turn into isotopes that are stable. It wouldn't be much of an experiment.

Ah, good point. Though looking into the subject further has led to some interesting material on identifying 'treated' gemstones - I didn't know that clear topaz could be turned deep blue by gamma radiation until just now, for one. Pretty neat stuff.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
A dive knife would be interesting, because some of those are made with moly in the alloy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Well, time pressure isn't a major factor for us at the moment. We could drop some boring robots on the surface and get a few exploratory shafts down to see how feasible an underground settlement is, or further explore that cave in the fissure. Or we could put out satellites to give us more warning of these radiation storms if we want to put people down to do the work.

I'm for all of these measures.

• Locked thread