Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

2) K
3) 18 - 4 - 5
4) T - Kindergarten teacher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ACF
Better safe than sorry, best to fix it now before it becomes a Thing.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm sure that we've also all seen Pandorum. Yeah, we may only be scheduled for 22 years, but still, let's fix things early.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ask Bedia how she keeps track of time.

We don't have a day/night cycle, and the answer is probably "lol, computers", but, she obviously sucks at it since years and months are mixing up in her head.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Arkanomen posted:

double down paranoia. You always have backup clocks. Check the backups.

Yeah, pretty sure losing the concept of time is part of what leads a person to cracking.

Question: Do the Wardens have any psyche evals they have to go through while on board the ship with us? Y'know, to make sure they don't lose their poo poo over the course of 2 decades? Do we have anyone on board qualified to play head shrink? Might be something to consider once we get the mechanical poo poo dealt with.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Well, before we go full tinfoil on the Wardens themselves

Ask Bedia about herself. How's the trip been? How've the other Wardens been? Anything you wanna talk about? Work or otherwise?

I mean, even if they're vetted for it, a little interaction with someone new might be healthy for them.
If we pick up on any red flags, then they can chat with the doc, but, let's see what we can figure out for ourselves first.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ok, well either I suck at Sense Motive checks (Highly Likely!), or, they're legit not insane (Yet!)
Either way, I think the Wardens are fine and not crazy/plotting to murder us/plotting to force us to murder each other in space gladiator combat.

I still agree with everyone else about getting the reactor looked at and figuring out the energy spikes and whatever else we wanted to wake the engineer up for.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Diogines posted:

B, C.

For an IMPORTANT reason, like a REALLY important one!

1. We have literally nothing to do. We will go back to sleep for years when this is done. We are not using up any limited resources and have all the time in the world.

2. As the GM said....

Cryostasis is a NEW TECHNOLOGY. Our colonists, the entire human species iw counting on us. And we are a scientist with serious expertise in biology! Even if(*) of we don't have a cylon on board, we might pick up some problem with the cryostasis that the ship did not.

We are the last hope for mankind, don't just be lazy, roll over and go back to sleep.

It should only take us a few days to check all the colonists. If they are fine now they should probably be fine the whole trip so we will only need to do this once.

+1 to this

Might as well. We're already up. What's a few extra hours before the next 4 year nap? Plus, if we familiarize ourselves more intimately with the ship layout now, then we're in a better position in case something goes wrong later and we need to get around.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Teams of 2, radio check-in every 20 minutes, keep partners in sight at all times. Treat it like a drill

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Slaan posted:

What, exactly, are we even trying to look for? The panel on the bridge being busted was to a cord being wired improperly. There is no saboteur. There are no cryopods in danger. There are no space alien/robots lurking in the depths.

My biggest goal is for the captain to be more familiar with the ship, that way if something does go pear shaped in the future, we have a better understanding of the terrain.
There's always a chance we lose access to our tech, so having actual tangible experience navigating ourselves around here can come in handy.

Edit: Plus, it's one thing to have a map. It's another to actually walk the area and see for yourself. Helps build up visual references.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Loel posted:

Speaking as enlisted :v: , having an unnecessary but labor intensive drill oozes new officer. Reminds me of when we had a guy march his company through a blizzard around a track for 2-3 hours, while my company just stayed inside and watched. Because, its a loving blizzard.

We're giving the lads a bit of extra work (check the pods), let's not present an excess of enthusiasm.

Altering the sentiment of my vote to match this. (I'm keeping the same vote, just drop the bit where I was on board with treating it like a drill)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

G + Ask if everything is ok on the bridge.

If it's necessary, we can wake the chief up later, but for now, stick with a regular engineer.
Plus, we kind of need to know about the situation with the Wardens. Crew morale is important, they're crew. And right now, they're literally the most important crew because they're the only ones with any firsthand knowledge of what the hell is going on around here. Last thing we need is them missing something because they're being pissy at each other a few years from now.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

+1 to not pressing the issue with Bedia.
Put it in perspective. We're her boss, and in the past 12 years, she's seen us twice, for a total of maybe 6 hours. We might like her, but, we're not really friends yet.
If we press the issue too hard, we're just going to freak her out and make it awkward, especially since we'll just be leaving for another 4 years once everything is settled down.
Give her one of those canned "It'll be ok, you'll find the right person one day." lines, and move on.

+1 to waking up the Chief Engineer and Vladimir. Let him decide if he wants to wake up anyone else after he's been briefed.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ask: If we do A, you WILL be able to get it started back up, right?

Also, voting A

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CE

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A - Makes sense. We can see how we feel and make a better decision.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I want to wake medical first, that way they're functional and over their headache and can more quickly assist the others, plus they might have a better idea of how to deal with the post cryosickness.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

AE

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A - I'm assuming this will let us know whether or not we'll be able to breathe the air there?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ask Cedric what distracted him?

Vote:
I - Everyone above option H

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

We'll have time to figure things out. Stick to the stuff we CAN study for now, and when we get closer, then we can deal with the stuff we're too far away for now.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Voting to name the planet Hilda lawl, Hot Ice Hilda. Yeah, no one gets the reference. :saddowns:

1. BC - In that order
2. H - I think is better in the long-term. We want as few casualties as possible, since we are the current entire population of the known human race. If we can avoid an unnecessary casualty, then so be it. I'm sure people will have plenty of chances to die once we're down on the surface.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Plus, imagine the hit morale would take if we've got a bunch of terminal cancer patients being forced to work.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

RandomPauI posted:

I still think we should go with a new world deity in honor of this being a new world.

Why not set ourselves up as God?
I mean, that's how it'd develop if something ever happens to the space elevator and people are stranded on the planet.

"The gods came to us from the great moon road with mighty mechanical beasts and the first plants that we enjoy now. But we angered them, and in their rage, destroyed their great road, leaving us to fend for ourselves. We hope one day to regain their favor."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

On the other hand, it would be a nice token of appreciation, letting them have a crack at naming it.

Question: What will the Watcher's jobs be once we no longer need them to monitor all of the cryo-sleepers? Do they get to retire? Or are there more science jobs that they get assigned to?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Loel posted:

Leave them on the ship in orbit as museum keepers. I can't imagine the personality traits that made them good Watchers will make them good colonists.

That's what I'm curious about.
On the one hand, they dedicated/sacrificed 20 some years to being the only 3 people around (barring check-ins from the captain) in the vast emptiness of space. Even if they were psychologically vetted for it, that's got to be a hell of a service.
On the other hand, they're still very capable. Pretty sure Bedia proved herself to be a hell of a researcher, she definitely helped us figure out the cryosickness, and we are trying to colonize an ice ball with a hot cinnamon core.

Ok, sure, they're probably not necessarily the type to sit around the campfire and tell ghost stories with us, but they're still useful resources, who have also probably earned the right to hang back and let everyone else do the work for awhile.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Big Boner Stacy posted:

We could just ask them what they prefer to do.

Considering the nature of our mission, I assumed it was already decided, that's why I was asking in the first place.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm pretty sure it's just beep-boop cold science logic. They're not people, they're resources.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

changing my vote from Hilda to Omaissen

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

"We shall this land...This Land."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Send probier probes to C
+1 to Wake up and consult qualified engineers who would be handling the actual construction. They're the ones who are going to be building this, let's see what they think will actually take.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I might have missed it, but, what even are our options if we decide to pass on Hooboy?

I was under the impression we had put most of our metaphorical eggs in this basket.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

1. A - Radiation is the absolute largest issue.
2. D is for Delegate!
3. L - again, radiation is the large problem.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ADG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

AD

• Locked thread