Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mkob
Feb 23, 2013

This poke of Buddha in space scene got a 1:1 reenactment in Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons by Stephen Chow (Asura's Wrath got released one year prior to this movie, they totally ripped the idea from the game). The movie isn't as good as kung fu hustle or shaolin soccer but it's a good watch nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLord
Apr 28, 2013
Again the fun part is the game is mostly just getting started. There a lot more coming and this isn't as crazy as it gets.

FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard
Came for the LP, stayed for the commercials.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm glad to hear that is isn't a game that frontloads all the good parts at the beginning.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
This game is the most best anime

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm glad to hear that is isn't a game that frontloads all the good parts at the beginning.

The Best Parts are the beginning and the ending. With Good Parts between them.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Aithon posted:

We heard at the beginning of the game that prayer power would bring us back if we died, but because of that whole "framed as traitor" thing, Asura had to rely on just time and being very, very angry to claw himself back up. :arghfist::arghfist::argh::arghfist::arghfist::arghfist:

The Kratos school of heroism protagonism.

edit: when i wrote this post, i didn't think that protagonism was actually a word. Thanks, Google.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 4, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mkob posted:

This poke of Buddha in space scene got a 1:1 reenactment in Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons by Stephen Chow (Asura's Wrath got released one year prior to this movie, they totally ripped the idea from the game). The movie isn't as good as kung fu hustle or shaolin soccer but it's a good watch nonetheless.

I think they also did the space poke in the reveal trailer for this game, though it was a generic Buddha figure and not Wyzen.

E: Petition to change the thread tag to

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 4, 2016

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Archenteron posted:

an angry punchman

Thank you

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I think they also did the space poke in the reveal trailer for this game, though it was a generic Buddha figure and not Wyzen.

E: Petition to change the thread tag to
:staredog: I didn't know we had a tag like that!! Passed word along to Fedule.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Geop posted:

:staredog: I didn't know we had a tag like that!! Passed word along to Fedule.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Man, Birdy got a lot stronger after he stopped hanging out the Karen, and he still ended up getting his rear end handed to him

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
:lol: Those tag change requests never work, thanks.

(almost suggested the Dad tag instead but maybe later)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Wow. This is tremendously fun to watch. One of those things that just puts a big dumb incredulous grin on your face. I had no idea that was what this game was like, it just seemed like another generic brawler taking itself too seriously so I never paid any attention to it.

Also the commercials are great too.

Oh, and I hope every boss interrupt punch gives you a "shut up, x" trophy.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Sounded like Wyzen actually believed all that propaganda about Asura. I guess the other six never bothered to tell him what actually happened, they did seem to consider him the team idiot.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You should finish this before resuming DS2 imo.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

McDragon posted:

Wow. This is tremendously fun to watch. One of those things that just puts a big dumb incredulous grin on your face. I had no idea that was what this game was like, it just seemed like another generic brawler taking itself too seriously so I never paid any attention to it.

Also the commercials are great too.

Oh, and I hope every boss interrupt punch gives you a "shut up, x" trophy.
Yeah that's the thing about it. Like, the shooting and fighting mechanics aren't complex in any way shape or form. But they're so fast and broken up that you really don't notice it. We recorded a second session a couple of weeks ago and it's probably the ONLY time you can see the gameplay in any real length, since there are a few scenes with super-tanky, boring "bosses". Those were scenes where they said "okay we can't just have another boss fight immediately. Let's pad this out somehow" which is understandable.

ALSO, next update (final one of this session) is gonna be up tonight. Encoding right now, uploading soon. Still need to wrap up the audio editing for the next session but that should be in-motion by Friday :v:

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh my god. Those few early minutes had me laughing p hard. I love this game!

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Yeah, Yasha's your wakeup call letting you know that you can't use Burst recklessly, and that you can't just air-juggle bosses once you've knocked them down.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This is the best cutscene videogame ever made.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I had preexisting notions of this game's quality and they were clearly all wrong, this is fantastic.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
Was not expecting a Yukio Mishima reference in this game.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessions_of_a_Mask

And in case you guys haven't seen the Goose Howard video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q81ptFSA4mk

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Relevant to the comments about the cast:

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
So Geop, please for everyone here, you have to do the Ryu and Akuma fights. They are hilariously over-the-top. If you know anything about Akuma as a character from Street Fighter then you can probably guess just how insane and hilarious the fight gets.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

GMArcturus posted:

So Geop, please for everyone here, you have to do the Ryu and Akuma fights. They are hilariously over-the-top. If you know anything about Akuma as a character from Street Fighter then you can probably guess just how insane and hilarious the fight gets.

Or do them all, unless someone mentions that the dlc isn't good (enough).

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

GMArcturus posted:

I never said I wasn't doing the DLC

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That is good to hear.

Kinfolk910
Nov 5, 2010
You may not be able to air juggle some things but that doesn't stop you from stomping them a few times before hitting the Triangle button to activate the finisher move. Gives you a few more ticks and doesn't cost you much since the triangle finisher generally leads to the enemy getting back up after it finishes.

Jalathas
Nov 26, 2010

"Who do you think you are!?"
"God."

i love this anime-rear end game so much

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yasha's the best blue oni. I love how the game immediately follows fighting a planet-sized Buddha with a simple duel, making it clear the game is just going to go with the whole "bigger is better philosophy" a la TTGL.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Vicas's explanation of the Burst system sounds like the typical way a fighting game meter gets charged, which is all kinds of appropriate.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

These softbank adds are some next level stuff.

Also, Yasha's theme is extremely good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sgt Thud posted:

Relevant to the comments about the cast:

Liam O'Brien does seem like he'd of had a blast doing Asura's Wrath. His regular speaking voice is also the most deceptively nerdy-sounding thing ever, to the point where when I first heard it I was like "no, that's a put on, he doesn't really sound like that." It's great :allears:

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I think it starts to show here but you can tell they were going with a sort of reverse Megaman/Protoman relationship with Yasha and Asura. With Yasha being the cool and collected type while Asura punches first, asks questions, then gets really angry and punches again.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Aw, I was hoping Asura was going to full Black Knight mode.

That is some A-grade-country-western-japanese-buttrock, though.

Gami Cross
Mar 28, 2008

Smornstein posted:

I think it starts to show here but you can tell they were going with a sort of reverse Megaman/Protoman relationship with Yasha and Asura. With Yasha being the cool and collected type while Asura punches first, asks questions, then gets really angry and punches again.

Man I gotta sketch this now... Protoman's scarf/cape going crazy like Yasha's, and the whole fight being about an armless helmetless Megaman trying to knock Protoman's helmet off... Complete with a "We are no longer the MegaMan 8, we are the Mighty Number 9" parody on 8 Guardian Generals / 7 Deities.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

SyntheticPolygon posted:

These softbank adds are some next level stuff.

Also, Yasha's theme is extremely good.

Can't decide between those and Nic Cage randomly hocking pachinko as my favorite commercial theme here.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Can't decide between those and Nic Cage randomly hocking pachinko as my favorite commercial theme here.
I think that one with the Schwarzenegger genie is probably still the weirdest so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Burst mechanics and everything basically means the game is like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8g3TuKsQHs

• Locked thread