Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Problem description: My speaker volume is very low on my PC. I'm running Win10. Headset volume is unaffected, so if I switch my headset to default device, the volume through that is fine.

Attempted fixes: I've done all the basic stuff like "make sure your volume is high" and such. I also tried to reinstall drivers for Realtek and Dell Audio. I turned on Volume Equalization as well.

Recent changes: None that I know of.

--

Operating system: Win10

System specs: It's a Dell with 3.2GHZ, 8 GB RAM, I don't think any of this would matter. I have a GTX 760Ti I think for Video card.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yeah, I've tried everything I've seen short of format/reinstall. I'm not particularly tech savvy, so any help would be greatly appreciated!~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:
Are they USB speakers?

Are your headphones in the front audio jack?

Are your speakers connecting to the main audio out on the rear of the machine?

If you reverse them (front vs rear audio) do the symptoms switch between the headphones and the speakers?

In the control panel if you open the sound settings can you select your speakers > open properties > and check the levels tab?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
They are 3.5mm. I had them plugged up via the green port in the back of the PC, but I moved ports to the front "headphone" port and they're working much better now. Not sure why they stopped working in the back. There were only three 3.5mm ports I saw, one for right, one for left (the green one), and microphone.

My headset is USB. Headset still seems to be working fine. Oh well. Thank you for your help!

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:

Capsaicin posted:

They are 3.5mm. I had them plugged up via the green port in the back of the PC, but I moved ports to the front "headphone" port and they're working much better now. Not sure why they stopped working in the back. There were only three 3.5mm ports I saw, one for right, one for left (the green one), and microphone.

My headset is USB. Headset still seems to be working fine. Oh well. Thank you for your help!

Could be damage to either cable or the rear audio jack, I have seen cases where moving the cable or fidgeting with the jack can degrade/improve sound. Beyond that I suggest looking into what brand your integrated sound is and see if installing the software for it can give you access to extra settings.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Also, I am really, really dumb and only just realized that my speakers themselves have a very subtle volume knob that is like, recessed into the speaker and just looks like part of the top of them. I'm real dumb.

• Locked thread