Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Problem description: For a little while now my desktop sometimes locks up maybe less than a minute after boot. I'll hard reset and everything is fine. It doesn't seem to freeze at any other point. I dont like waiting for fancy new updates, so when 1607 didn't automatically show up in my updates, I went ahead and downloaded it manually. 3 times now its frozen at 23%, the first time with nothing else, each time subsequently I at least get a blue screen with the code MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION. Apparently this is vague. I cant see it being overheating, its a big ol fancy rig thats well cooled and as I said, I never have issues while gaming when it does heat up. Maybe the two things are not related. The HDD led on the tower is always solid red when this happens in either case.

Attempted fixes: Reseated my RAM, ran a check on each drive, running memtest now which has returned 0 errors at 93% completion.

Recent changes: Cant think of anything that might have caused this

--

Operating system: Win10 1511, as I've said I'm trying to get updated to 1607 with my laptop and Surface.

System specs: Custom build, Maximus V Formula, i7 3770k @ 4.6, 16gb 1600mhz Vengeance RAM (not OCed), pair of STRIX 970s, 840 500gb SSD, I think my 3tb slave is a Toshiba, and also another junk drive which is a 1tb WD blue.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

codo27 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It sounds like your CPU is overclocked too far, lower it to a speed it's stable at. To confirm that this is the problem return the CPU to stock settings and you should see the problem go away, if it doesn't then this was not the issue.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It has been running nice and stable at that speed for 3 years now. Do you still think its that when it happens during such relatively light loads?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Yes, I suspect if you ran stability tests like Prime95 that loaded the CPU AND checked correctness they would fail immediately.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Running it now and its going strong so far. I'm just doing a "bit of everything" torture test. The fact that the Windows update stalls at 23% every time still makes me think disk error though.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Maybe, but a MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION is almost always CPU, and an overclocked CPU can cause RAM errors anyway. Just lower your clock back to stock and see if the problem goes away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Went back to stock, no dice. Crashed a bit after boot again. I gotta get to the root of that one way or another soon cause this is driving me nuts.

The anniversary update installer has gotten up to 24% twice now, and the second time it failed with CLOCK_WATCHDOG_ERROR which seems to verify your suspicions.

edit: manual downloaded the 1607 ISO and clean installed with that, thought everything was hunky dory. Going good for a couple days, come home just now and it freezes after waking from sleep as it used to before. Soon gonna do a tap dance on this poo poo.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 27, 2016

• Locked thread