Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I'm soooo glad Gia went home. Her and Ryan were annoying as gently caress together. Nikki needs to go next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Anyone else notice that the front boob on Ryan's tattoo was completely misplaced? The anatomy is super hosed up, and it's barely hidden by a strand of hair. Edit: A strand of hair that, I've just noticed, makes no sense.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Oct 12, 2016

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Crazy episode. Honestly Mike's piece was soooo bad, I think it beat Gia for worst tattoo. But Gia should've gone home for that absolutely hosed chest piece. :shrug: I liked her though, all girl alliance bullshit aside.

Sketchy proves to be the funniest(and most practical) yet again, and Gian keeps smashing challenges like it's his job. Gian/Sketchy 2016!

Can't wait to see Nikki try to talk poo poo again and get shut down, god she is fuckin annoying. Bitch you haven't been tattooing for ten years and you're trying to tell the literal hosts of the show about technique? Get the gently caress out.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I feel so bad for Mike's canvas. That thing is horrendous. Maybe he can have a good artist convert it into some horror tattoo.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
If Mike's flag had been an upside down American Flag they would have had him drawn and quartered.

My wife and I just looked at each other with huge eyes when Nikki started arguing with Oliver. Part of me wonders if she is just getting an edit like this - maybe they ask for feedback from everyone and they are just showing hers. It wouldn't be beyond a reality TV show to do this. But every week its the same thing...just her providing more critiques from the sidelines.

It's weird and I can't wait until she goes home in a puff of angry smoke that looks 30 years older than it is.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Flyinglemur posted:

My wife and I just looked at each other with huge eyes when Nikki started arguing with Oliver. Part of me wonders if she is just getting an edit like this - maybe they ask for feedback from everyone and they are just showing hers. It wouldn't be beyond a reality TV show to do this. But every week its the same thing...just her providing more critiques from the sidelines.

I can't remember if it was the beginning of this season or during the last one but it was the first time someone in the gallery spoke up and I think Nunez said something like "Is this what we're doing now? Everybody wants to pop off during someone else's critique?"

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Flyinglemur posted:

If Mike's flag had been an upside down American Flag they would have had him drawn and quartered.

It's weird and I can't wait until she goes home in a puff of angry smoke that looks 30 years older than it is.

Navarro said on Twitter at some point that this is the case. They ask the other artists for feedback but obviously don't show all of it.

Btw Navarro's Twitter is p great.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Nikki is honestly the most annoying person in show history. Her weird justification for not giving good players hard tattoos, her pure salt and rage against Boneface after he burned her (with a totally true line) and her constantly interrupting everyone.

Holy poo poo please leave soon.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

Nikki is honestly the most annoying person in show history. Her weird justification for not giving good players hard tattoos, her pure salt and rage against Boneface after he burned her (with a totally true line) and her constantly interrupting everyone.

Holy poo poo please leave soon.

It's also just exacerbated by the fact that she's the youngest and has the least tattooing experience.

Realllllllly hope this is the ep she gets sent home :pray:

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

agreed go home Nikki.

Go Team Sketchy.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

OldTennisCourt posted:

her pure salt and rage against Boneface after he burned her (with a totally true line)

This is at least understandable but yeah there other people obviously more talented and open to guiding than her.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
It's the whining that gets me. When she totally gave up on the electric wire challenge because it was too hard, then whined that she wanted an easy canvas because she was in a bad mood, then got the good canvas and won best tattoo. That was right before they started gunning for the guys.

But she and Mike are on the way out.

Oof. White woman Kelly playing the white man card is a quick ticket to unlikeablility. Though it's not surprising the "Tatu Baby had the best tattoo every week" twitter crowd is siding with the girls.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 19, 2016

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

agreed go home Nikki.

Go Team Sketchy.
I want Nikki, Boneface, and Sketchy to all go home.

Hell, send them all home except Gian, Eric, Ryan and Kelly.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sketchy needs to lay off with a bit of the sexist talk, but I'm still on his team.

Mike's tattoos were baaaad this ep, but at least he owned it. Can't wait to see Nikki go home and just bitch on her way out. This was the first time my girlfriend watched the show and she immediately started hating on Nikki. Also didn't believe she was 24... :classiclol:

I really thought they'd comment on Nikki literally just copying Gian's drawing exactly. That's not adaptability, imo.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
I feel like we're gonna see a LOT of this season's contestants on Ink Master: Redemption. Like, they're gonna need to make way more episodes for that one, or change the format to 60 mins per ep.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Karma Monkey posted:

I feel like we're gonna see a LOT of this season's contestants on Ink Master: Redemption. Like, they're gonna need to make way more episodes for that one, or change the format to 60 mins per ep.

I still have yet to watch the Redemption show. Is it just the artist coming in and doing like, a cover up on their janky tattoo or what? There have been some awful tattoos this season. Mike's pinup girl, Boneface's... most of Boneface's tattoos, haha. That piece of trash that Nikki made that somehow won her the flash challenge definitely needs.. something.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Johnny Truant posted:

I still have yet to watch the Redemption show. Is it just the artist coming in and doing like, a cover up on their janky tattoo or what? There have been some awful tattoos this season. Mike's pinup girl, Boneface's... most of Boneface's tattoos, haha. That piece of trash that Nikki made that somehow won her the flash challenge definitely needs.. something.

The first season was interesting because it actually seemed really unscripted. Now it's the same boring reality drama as Ink Master and excuses to put Tatu Baby on TV again.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Johnny Truant posted:

What's hilarious is that they don't even do a cover up or fix their lovely tattoo. They get "redemption" by doing another, less horrible tattoo

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Johnny Truant posted:

I still have yet to watch the Redemption show. Is it just the artist coming in and doing like, a cover up on their janky tattoo or what?
This:

creationist believer posted:

The first season was interesting because it actually seemed really unscripted. Now it's the same boring reality drama as Ink Master and excuses to put Tatu Baby on TV again.
and also this:

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

What's hilarious is that they don't even do a cover up or fix their lovely tattoo. They get "redemption" by doing another, less horrible tattoo
Lotsa drama, and sometimes the new tattoo is good, but mostly they're pretty meh. The first season was decent, the second season was watchable, and this season has been lame.

My favorites were when they brought in the artist that botched the tattoo AND a former Ink Master champion and the canvas got to pick who would do their tattoo. Good drama there. :munch:

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

OmegaBR posted:

Oof. White woman Kelly playing the white man card is a quick ticket to unlikeablility. Though it's not surprising the "Tatu Baby had the best tattoo every week" twitter crowd is siding with the girls.

Or maybe the fact that you automatically liken supporting the great female artists on this season like Ryan and Kelly to liking Tatu Baby shows that this show hasn't had very many good female artists showcased in the past?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

creationist believer posted:

Yep. And by far the best episodes were the two where Kyle and Jason Clay Dunn come back, meet a fool they despised and absolutely rip their fledgling weakling sass new assholes while refusing to ever tattoo them again because their displeasure for a questionable tattoo paled in comparison to the white hot grudge-hatred both of them had for how much trouble the canvases caused them in the competition. That's the reality show platinum that cowardly producers cream their designer jeans just thinking about.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

detective monkey paw posted:

Or maybe the fact that you automatically liken supporting the great female artists on this season like Ryan and Kelly to liking Tatu Baby shows that this show hasn't had very many good female artists showcased in the past?

According to the stats overall, no, there haven't been. Only two women have ever made the finale, one of which is Tatu Baby, and the other, Sarah Miller, was eliminated immediately off season 7.

But that's not a reflection of the nature of the show, rather, their individual talent and ability to play the game. It's also besides the point. The twitter polls this season have been by and large referencing the girls' alliance, and this specific poll was whether you sided with them or Sketchylawyer and his calling them out. As I've lined out throughout this thread, the alliance has done a lot of uncouth stuff, between targeting specific guys, convincing their actual team members to reshuffle challenge pairings, interrupting the judges to back each other up and argue against someone else, and flat out whining about things not going their way. Granted, a lot of that has come from Nikki specifically, but Ryan and Kelly are guilty of it too.

In season 3, when Baby was literally getting voted best tattoo every week by twitter, even as she told the judges that she wasn't performing well enough to remain in the competition (until they talked her out of it and sent another artist home over her and a guy making his third straight trip to the bottom,) it was obvious there was a fan bias. I submit that all the pro alliance results this season, despite all their misgivings, is due at least in part to that bias.

Like I said earlier in the thread, I'd like to see a female Ink Master as much as anybody. But if you get there in part by playing dirty, then it doesn't reflect well on the idea that female tattooers are just as good as the guys. Nor does the idea of the "vagina card," where you deserve sympathetic treatment because women haven't always had the same opportunities as men in the field. Sketchy may have been a jerk to phrase it that way, but what he said about not carrying that with you and using it as an excuse, is righteous.

So my response isn't automatic, and I'll freely admit that Ryan and Kelly are two of the top artists. I figured one or even both of them making the finale from the onset. But that doesn't change the fact that the alliance has been trying to skew the game at all costs, and Sketchy didn't really do anything but call them out on that. However, I'm betting once Nikki goes home, Ryan and Kelly will largely stick together, but their merit as artists will outshine any strategy they manage to concoct (if any.) And it'll be a lot easier to cheer them on as a result.

Also, if they haven't already run out of gimmicks, I would very much like to see season 9 be an all female season. Maybe even with previous contestants.

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Yep. And by far the best episodes were the two where Kyle and Jason Clay Dunn come back, meet a fool they despised and absolutely rip their fledgling weakling sass new assholes while refusing to ever tattoo them again because their displeasure for a questionable tattoo paled in comparison to the white hot grudge-hatred both of them had for how much trouble the canvases caused them in the competition. That's the reality show platinum that cowardly producers cream their designer jeans just thinking about.

I really enjoyed the one where Duffy was like hmm no I'm not gonna reward you for throwing a tantrum, if you want a tattoo you have to come to my shop and pay me.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Man, it's the times like these where the judging process comes into question. They sent Gia home based on report cards, and if they had done the same here, Kevin would have gone home. Eric's was definitely the worst overall, but he still even had better detail than Kevin and his uneven hourglass.

With him gone, looking at the people who are left, I think your final three are basically already decided: Ryan, Gian, and Kelly. Nate did well tonight, but I really don't totally buy that garbage he was spouting about only pretending to be mediocre until now. Boneface's artistry is questionable. Kevin's been a face in the crowd and is not going to win with performances like tonight's. Sketchy's about to crack. Nikki can perform well, but she's also Nikki.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

OmegaBR posted:

Man, it's the times like these where the judging process comes into question. They sent Gia home based on report cards, and if they had done the same here, Kevin would have gone home. Eric's was definitely the worst overall, but he still even had better detail than Kevin and his uneven hourglass.

With him gone, looking at the people who are left, I think your final three are basically already decided: Ryan, Gian, and Kelly. Nate did well tonight, but I really don't totally buy that garbage he was spouting about only pretending to be mediocre until now. Boneface's artistry is questionable. Kevin's been a face in the crowd and is not going to win with performances like tonight's. Sketchy's about to crack. Nikki can perform well, but she's also Nikki.

Agreed on everything. I'm rooting for Gian now with the numbers dwindling and Sketchy wanting to leave. I still want Nikki to go home but looks like Sketchy peaces out next week. :smith:

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009
Why would you ever say what Nate said, on TV none the less? That was a bit hosed up. I haven't watched much of the earlier seasons, is this kind of poo poo standard?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

glasnost toyboy posted:

Why would you ever say what Nate said, on TV none the less? That was a bit hosed up. I haven't watched much of the earlier seasons, is this kind of poo poo standard?

Honestly this is one of the worst seasons they've had. No one stands out as who I want to win, there's so much bullshit like the retarded crap Nate said and everything Nikki spouts from her mouth, and the overall quality of work from the contestants is seriously subpar compared to past seasons.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

glasnost toyboy posted:

It's one of the most over-produced shows inasmuch as the contestants will provide whatever house arguments the producers ask for, and that's pretty consistent throughout the series

This season has no St Marq, so you got that going for you

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

OmegaBR posted:

At some point last episode they said report cards don't matter anymore. Which sucks because Kevin should definitely have gone home. He's been dinged for not outlining so this time he just did two? One black and one white?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

detective monkey paw posted:

At some point last episode they said report cards don't matter anymore. Which sucks because Kevin should definitely have gone home. He's been dinged for not outlining so this time he just did two? One black and one white?

This is the conversation I had with my wife as we watched the wrong person go home...that they said last week that report cards don'e matter anymore and one bad tattoo and you're done.

I can't believe the judges gushed about the Ram on the Charger and how it worked with the brand when Ram is Dodge's truck line. I thought the Bees were super on target for the branding but the rest of the design was pretty meh.

I want to believe that Nate was pulling a St Marq by just spouting off dumb poo poo to throw everyone off their game. I truly want to believe that.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

glasnost toyboy posted:

My jaw dropped when he said that. If I was a client of his on the show or off I would never want to see him for work again. "hey I intentionally gave you mediocre work so I could fly under the radar." But that's... permanently there though?

Mob posted:

It's one of the most over-produced shows inasmuch as the contestants will provide whatever house arguments the producers ask for, and that's pretty consistent throughout the series

This season has no St Marq, so you got that going for you

On the one hand I would agree but on the other hand, what they say/do on tv directly affects their career. You go on and be a shitlord to everyone you're competing against? Who is gonna want you to guest in their shop after that? You are a poo poo about your clients? That'll affect your business and image.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Sketchy's a bitch. Yeah the girls are annoying as hell, yeah the game isn't always fair with the canvases. But like they said, many went home before him who would have loved to stay, particularly Eric, who got the worst case scenario being sick last week. You walk out, you make your own bed. It's not like he was Kevin ignoring everything they say.

Nikki's not a blatantly poor artist by any means, but she definitely does her best work when given help or a great canvas. If nothing else, I'm watching to see her make that long walk out.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

defectivemonkey posted:

Also worth remembering that Nunez and Peck are the reason Spike is being sued for sexual harassment. Suddenly they have a season with multiple women, including two very reputable and talented ones, at least one of which has a producer push to go forward. Ink Master needs to clean up it's image, so shifts to acting like it gives a poo poo about showcasing female artists beyond just eye-candy or inept attempts to please the fanbase.

Just binged all the episodes at once, and honestly the women's alliance was pretty drat smart. The bullshit way the team competition was handled meant that your teammates really couldn't be totally on your side; it's just smart to ally with some members of the other team when they get to have a say in your competition. Covering each other's asses means the cannon-fodder girls get more time, and Ryan and Kelly might get some built-in easy pickings towards the end.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

there wolf posted:

Also worth remembering that Nunez and Peck are the reason Spike is being sued for sexual harassment. Suddenly they have a season with multiple women, including two very reputable and talented ones, at least one of which has a producer push to go forward. Ink Master needs to clean up it's image, so shifts to acting like it gives a poo poo about showcasing female artists beyond just eye-candy or inept attempts to please the fanbase.

Just binged all the episodes at once, and honestly the women's alliance was pretty drat smart. The bullshit way the team competition was handled meant that your teammates really couldn't be totally on your side; it's just smart to ally with some members of the other team when they get to have a say in your competition. Covering each other's asses means the cannon-fodder girls get more time, and Ryan and Kelly might get some built-in easy pickings towards the end.

It also doesn't hurt that the best artists on the season (Ryan and Kelly) are women.

It's frustrating to see the reaction to the girl alliance after last season had an even-more-annoying alliance and it was just how you played the game.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
In hindsight it's pretty obvious that Sketchy had already pretty much decided to check out when he did that flash challenge lion fish tattoo. He really did not give a gently caress:

:whitewater:

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames

defectivemonkey posted:

It also doesn't hurt that the best artists on the season (Ryan and Kelly) are women.

It's frustrating to see the reaction to the girl alliance after last season had an even-more-annoying alliance and it was just how you played the game.

Totally agree. The constant whining about the girls alliance after every episode when each of them absolutely deserves to be still in the competition is pretty ridiculous (and Ryan and Kelly absolutely deserve to be in that top 3 with probably Gian). Yeah Nikki is aggressive and abrasive and gets into fights and complains when she gets a garbage canvas. You know who else does that? Literally almost everyone who has ever been on this show.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Eight Dollars posted:

Totally agree. The constant whining about the girls alliance after every episode when each of them absolutely deserves to be still in the competition is pretty ridiculous (and Ryan and Kelly absolutely deserve to be in that top 3 with probably Gian). Yeah Nikki is aggressive and abrasive and gets into fights and complains when she gets a garbage canvas. You know who else does that? Literally almost everyone who has ever been on this show.

imo Kelly is absolutely the best artist there and Ryan, also an incredibly talented artist, is a distant second. Nikki is decent is comparison but her attitude sucks and part of the show (supposedly?) is that they are there to take advice and guidance from the judges. Nikki seems incapable of doing this, at least in the scenes they show us.

Eight Dollars
Nov 14, 2012

Pretty pictures in small frames

Luvcow posted:

Nikki is decent is comparison but her attitude sucks and part of the show (supposedly?) is that they are there to take advice and guidance from the judges. Nikki seems incapable of doing this, at least in the scenes they show us.

I mean this is true, but the majority of the tattoo artists every season (including this one) never take any advice and guidance from the judges, and the judges have never been consistent (RIP Craig), so I really don't see that as a big deal. Would I be happy with Nikki winning? Eh, not really, but she is deserving to be in the top 4 way above Nate "I'm mediocre on purpose" Beavers and Kevin.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Eight Dollars posted:

I mean this is true, but the majority of the tattoo artists every season (including this one) never take any advice and guidance from the judges, and the judges have never been consistent (RIP Craig), so I really don't see that as a big deal. Would I be happy with Nikki winning? Eh, not really, but she is deserving to be in the top 4 way above Nate "I'm mediocre on purpose" Beavers and Kevin.

I can definitely agree with that. For me I just think Kelly is head and shoulders above everyone else there and from my memory above everyone from past seasons. I'll be really disappointed if she doesn't end up winning the whole thing but I can see something dumb happening where she has one "off" tattoo and someone else has a great one and she loses.

I think Nikki's best line this season was calling Nate out on doing mediocre work on a person and how that shows a complete lack of integrity. I also can't imagine what it must be like to be one of the canvases and have the artists laughing/snickering at you when you say what you want and then watching them snicker more when you read your skull and realize they tried to screw over one of the artists by assigning you to them. But i guess that comes with the territory of volunteering to be a canvas on this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

defectivemonkey posted:

I'm saying I think it's intentional; that they deliberately courted Ryan and Nicki because they wanted some unquestionably talented female artists to fix their woman problem. They made sure a few middle-talents were in the mix to give them a buffer from what's probably a pretty hostile workplace, and thus the female alliance was born.

If Nicki wasn't there to whine and mouth-off all the time then it'd be someone else. Probably Sketchy because he has the "I'm not here to make friends, now let me immediately start making alliances so I can manipulate the game" attitude that almost every other season's antagonist has.

• Locked thread