Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
WHOO KELLY

Also Nate is a goddamn moron for ignoring Kelly's advice on New School tattoos. What the actual gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Nate halfassed his way through the entire season and only got as far as he did because other people were worse.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

TheDon01 posted:

Nate halfassed his way through the entire season and only got as far as he did because other people were worse.

And then bitches about the other players, haha. He's a solid artist but he was definitely not Kelly/Gian/Ryan caliber.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I wanted to see the train wreck that would be nate doing black and gray watercolor.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
The fact that he even thought it was a good idea is hilarious enough.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I want to be on this show just so I can win the option to pick the style for someone else and say freehand tribal

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I thought it was a little weird that Kelly gave Gian a full watercolour coral reef as his piece. Like, his watercolour this past ep wasn't that bad, imo. :shrug:

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

I thought it was a little weird that Kelly gave Gian a full watercolour coral reef as his piece. Like, his watercolour this past ep wasn't that bad, imo. :shrug:

They all really did not like that he did a really nice outline, and then just put random weird colors everywhere. So i guess someone is getting a huge color blob on their chest that might resemble a coral reef

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I think they probably realized that he's fairly proficient in most styles and wanted to give him something that he just wouldn't enjoy.

What else would she give em?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

TheDon01 posted:

I think they probably realized that he's fairly proficient in most styles and wanted to give him something that he just wouldn't enjoy.

What else would she give em?

I would have said watercolor portrait based on his struggle during that challenge that almost got him sent to the bottom for the first time.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

OmegaBR posted:

I would have said watercolor portrait based on his struggle during that challenge that almost got him sent to the bottom for the first time.

Good point, would they have let her pick that as a chest piece though? I don't know too much about tattoos but a portrait chest piece sounds weird.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pussy Quipped posted:

They all really did not like that he did a really nice outline, and then just put random weird colors everywhere. So i guess someone is getting a huge color blob on their chest that might resemble a coral reef

Huh, I must be misremembering. I thought they praised it except for the sails of the ship. I know before they saw the tattoos the judges said they didn't want to just see paint flung on a drawing, but I thought the overall vibe for his tattoo was good sans sails.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

TheDon01 posted:

Good point, would they have let her pick that as a chest piece though? I don't know too much about tattoos but a portrait chest piece sounds weird.

At some point they have to consider that real people have to have these tattoos. If I were a human canvas and someone said they were going to do a watercolor portrait on me I would be out the door.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS
Well, we got exactly the lineup for the finale that we all wanted. Why don't I feel more happy and excited about it? :geno:

Jesus, Redemption is turning very Jerry Springeresque.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You can totally back out the one dude did it earlier in the season. That coral reef is just going to be a blob of color without being able to use fish.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Good episode.

Nunez: You all have an advantage, if you were paying attention to the critiques...
Kelly:

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I really am pulling for Kelly. How are the finales judged? Is it voting or judges or a combo? I've never watched this show every episode before.

If it's the judges, I get the feeling Peck would never vote for Kelly. It's clear he just hates new school. He's my favorite judge because he can actually tattoo and seems alright in general. Nunez is a mediocre tattooer at best and Navarro looks like Justin Bieber 20 years from now. Does any of that matter on this show?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
There's usually something like, America votes for one of the final three, and the judges choose between the other two to go into the final head-to-head judgment.

I actually think that streamable-live final-final tattoo is a very cool idea, and I'm guessing that's what they'll have the viewers voting on.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

The best part of the live finales is the production value and Dave being a weirdo

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Dave tries so hard to let everybody talk and then he remembers he has to "move it along."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pussy Quipped posted:

The best part of the live finales is the production value and Dave being a weirdo

Meow meow meow!

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
Also Oliver's patented "special occasion" look of a suit with no shirt.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

HungryMedusa posted:

Nunez is a mediocre tattooer at best

U wot m8

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I'm just sayin' he does NOT have what it takes to be Ink Master.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

HungryMedusa posted:

Navarro looks like Justin Bieber 20 years from now. Does any of that matter on this show?

I've actually come to appreciate Dave. His opinions are usually pretty fair and he'll call out the other two when they are being biased jerks.

...then he meows and I want to punch him.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

KilGrey posted:

I've actually come to appreciate Dave. His opinions are usually pretty fair and he'll call out the other two when they are being biased jerks.

...then he meows and I want to punch him.

I like him too. It seems like on some level he gets how ridiculous Ink Master is. I just think its funny he is a judge of good tattooing when most of his were done without a ton of thought at the time (or so it appears). He's a glorious mix of genuine and douchey that I can't quite reconcile.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Well he's an old famous guitarist who was at one time married to Carmen Electra and coked out of his mind for years. He probably thinks he's the real Ink Master.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

HungryMedusa posted:

I like him too. It seems like on some level he gets how ridiculous Ink Master is. I just think its funny he is a judge of good tattooing when most of his were done without a ton of thought at the time (or so it appears). He's a glorious mix of genuine and douchey that I can't quite reconcile.

I think under it all, he a big self-aware nerd that enjoys life and doesn't take things too seriously. He's played with some of the biggest names out there, dealt with his mom being murdered by an abusive boyfriend and recovered from heroin addiction. Nothing probably seems terribly serious after all that, especially a tattoo reality show.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah i really like him too. He seems friendly and genuine. Plus he gets hilariously flustered when hosting the live finales.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

On Redemption they show some clips of Dave being cheeky with the artists. On one show the client wanted his sons handwriting in the tattoo. Dave is talking to the artist about the childish handwriting and quips "You know his son is 24 years old" and the artist is all O_o and Dave is all "Oh I'm just messing with you"

It seems like Dave has a lot of fun during the show.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I love what Dave brings to the show a lot, and am glad I've got to see this side of him as I appreciate him as a human being.

But this still makes me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_daClCbUHA

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Flyinglemur posted:

I love what Dave brings to the show a lot, and am glad I've got to see this side of him as I appreciate him as a human being.

But this still makes me laugh
Haha I often remember this ultra-rare actually funny family guy cutaway, as well

Dave really has grown to become the voice of reason on the show, which has been very evident in the judging of the last 2 seasons. It's quite the character growth

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

TheRationalRedditor posted:

Haha I often remember this ultra-rare actually funny family guy cutaway, as well

Dave really has grown to become the voice of reason on the show, which has been very evident in the judging of the last 2 seasons. It's quite the character growth

I don't know if you're being serious or if you're in on the whole thing that Family Guy isn't funny because some days my sarcasm detector is brokedick. I saw whatever episode that is from in the last 6 months and it stuck with me, that's all :what:

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
that wasn't sarcasm, I saw that episode when it was new and remember the clip while watching IM all the time

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Beer_Suitcase posted:

On Redemption they show some clips of Dave being cheeky with the artists. On one show the client wanted his sons handwriting in the tattoo. Dave is talking to the artist about the childish handwriting and quips "You know his son is 24 years old" and the artist is all O_o and Dave is all "Oh I'm just messing with you"

It seems like Dave has a lot of fun during the show.

Yea, on Ink Master he's (supposedly) the voice of the average customer. Whenever the judges get locked in a tie over technical skill or whatever, he's like "Yea, this tat is technically better, but this other one that isn't as precise is actually nicer to look at. I would wear that one." and it breaks the tie.

On Redemption, he just stirs poo poo up and then comes bopping in to break up fights. Very cheeky on that show and the only thing I still enjoy about Redemption.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

HungryMedusa posted:

Navarro looks like Justin Bieber 20 years from now.

He's doing pretty good then since he's 30 years older

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Mob posted:

He's doing pretty good then since he's 30 years older

Yeah I am being too harsh on Dave, especially considering Dave is an actual rock star and Bieber will probably be dead by his 40s.

I'm excited for tonight. Go Kelly! I think all three are great, so it should be fun to watch no matter what happens.

E: From the preview I just saw, looks like it's Dave's turn to rock the jacket and no shirt look. haha

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 7, 2016

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Count me in as another person who's pro-Dave. Him being on the show annoyed me at first, but he's become a genuinely good opinion/voice of reason. Also, I love his "meow" -ing during the finale because it just feels, to me, like him having a good time while making fun of how ridiculous the whole thing is.

Also, go Kelly! (Ryan and Gian are both legitimately good artists and I'd happily be tattooed by either of them)

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

drat, talk about dramatic.

Screw the results, nothing's gonna top this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
What the hell, Dave?! Lol

• Locked thread