Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarkus
Jan 2, 2005
Problem description: On my new build I cannot download files from the internet. I can surf the web, stream music, watch Youtube videos, etc. But when I try and download files larger than a few MBs (windows updates, driver packages, etc.) the connection slows to a crawl and then stops after a very short time. I can see the download speeds start at 1.5MB/s and drop quickly to 700KB/s and then stop all together.

Attempted fixes: I thought the problem was with the network card built into the motherboard (Killer e2400). I tried new drivers, testing it on a different internet connection, and changing many different networking settings (as recommended by various google searches). Eventually, I installed a new Intel EXPI9301CT Gigabit CT PCIe networking card. It didn't correct the problem, and it caused problems with my video card. (It caused one of my 2 monitors to go black. Since it didn't solve my original problem, I didn't investigate too much. I just removed the new card).

Recent changes: None - This is a new build

Operating system: Windows 7 64bit Service Pack 1

System specs:

CPU: Intel i7 6700K
Motherboard: MSI Z170a Gaming M3 (Built in NIC is Killer Networking e2400)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB)
Video Card: SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon R9 390X
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB
HDD: WD Black 2TB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Are you using any non-Microsoft antivirus/firewall/internet security software? If so uninstall it completely and try again.

Clarkus
Jan 2, 2005
No. I only have the Windows Firewall running. I tried disabling it temporarily, but it made no difference.

I don't have any antivirus at all either. This is a fresh install of windows 7. I tried to install Microsoft Security Essentials, but the installation files couldn't be downloaded.

I was planning on upgrading to Windows 10 after I got the new build up and running. This is really the only problem keeping me from doing that. Any chance that solves the problem?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Yeah I would do that before putting much more effort into troubleshooting.

Clarkus
Jan 2, 2005
I'll give that a try, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarkus
Jan 2, 2005
Just in case anyone has this same problem and comes across this thread, I found the solution. I fully updated Windows 7 by downloading the updates on a different computer and transferring them with a thumb drive. I installed them from there, and after a long install my connection worked properly.

• Locked thread