Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I want to post my ballots but I want other people to post theirs first. :ohdear:

Xenophon posted:

Joe Panik wasn't on my list but he easily could have been

gently caress Joe Panik

seriously look at that name gently caress that guy

Joe Panik is cool and good. :colbert:

Rand alPaul posted:

Did a lot of people put their reason for voting? I tried to be honest and in the process came to the realization I dislike a lot of closers.

A few people did and in my unscientific observation, it seemed like people were more apt to justify their choices if they weren't based on anything objective like good/bad playing or beating their wives or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
drat, I missed the snipe. Well, anyway...

Most Hated #24 (2-way tie), 11 pts: Josh Donaldson, Clay Buchholz

Josh Donaldson
Team: Toronto Blue Jays
Debut: April 30, 2010

#1 votes: 0
#2 votes: 0
#3 votes: 0

What's to hate? The reigning AL MVP is extremely good. He knows this and embraces it, as evidenced by his Twitter handle @BringerOfRain20. It would seem that some fans like their players to have a bit more humility. I'm just going to assume that the two people who voted for him are Toby Basner and Matt Bush.

Clay Buchholz
Team: Boston Red Sox
Debut: August 17, 2007

What's to hate?

Boston Globe posted:

Asked if he supported Trump for president, Buchholz gave an enthusiastic, “Absolutely!”

“He says what a lot of people think and don’t say,” Buchholz said. “I like that part of him."

He is also a mediocre and/or inconsistent pitcher with incredibly stupid hair.

Current Rankings

Most Hated posted:

25. Joe Panik, Jered Weaver, Alejandro De Aza, Dansby Swanson, Matt Harvey
24. Josh Donaldson, Clay Buchholz

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 7, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Most Loved #24 (5-way tie), 15 pts: Miguel Cabrera, Munenori Kawasaki, Corey Seager, Kyle Schwarber, Gary Sanchez

Miguel Cabrera
Team: Detroit Tigers
Debut: June 21, 2003

#3 votes: 1

What's to love? The six-time Silver Slugger Award winner, four-time AL batting champion, and 11-time All Star is a hitting god who literally flattened a baseball once.

He's also a pretty cool dude who has a good sense of humor.

Munenori Kawasaki
Team: Chicago Cubs
Debut: April 7, 2012 (NPB debut: October 3, 2001)

possibly the most serious picture of Munenori Kawasaki on the entire internet

What's to love?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7ZQIdZtVAQ

Possibly the most flamboyant-in-a-good-way personality in the MLB. Making baseball fun again.

Corey Seager
Team: Los Angeles Dodgers
Debut: September 3, 2015

#2 votes: 1

What's to love? A down-to-earth, normal, kind of adorable 22-year old who happens to be very good at mashing dingers. He even made it to the HR Derby this year (where he and every other non-Stanton person were summarily annihilated, but still), and was selected for the 2016 All Star Game.

Kyle Schwarber
Debut: June 16, 2015

What's to love?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlJJfyatUNo

If there's anything SAS loves, it's fat guys who rake (:rip: Prince). Schwarber only played 2 games this year, tearing his ACL in a collision with Dexter Fowler. Gone but not forgotten :love:

Gary Sanchez
Team: New York Yankees
Debut: October 3, 2015

seen here receiving some sort of intracranial dinger blessing

What's to love? After a brief pinch hitting stint in October 2015, the Yankees brought him up full-time on August 3. Since then, he has become the quickest player in Major League history to reach 11 home runs (he did it in 23 games), and the first ever to be named AL Player of the Week two weeks in a row (August 22 and 29).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP6c2T-FkTk

edit: fixed team names, I suck

Current Rankings

Most Loved posted:

25. Darwin Barney
24. Miguel Cabrera, Munenori Kawasaki, Corey Seager, Kyle Schwarber, Gary Sanchez

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

YeahTubaMike posted:

Corey Seager

Kyle Schwarber

Gary Sanchez
Debut: October 3, 2015

The Tigers sure are making a serious push!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

The Tigers sure are making a serious push!

I am SO GOOD at copy-pasting, you guys :saddowns:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It's me, I'm the guy who put Matt Harvey as number one on the list. My reasons are thin and specious. For beating the cubs in the post season, and being repeatedly referred to as "The Dark Knight".

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Who hates Josh Donaldson? Rude.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Goodpancakes posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who put Matt Harvey as number one on the list. My reasons are thin and specious.

As long as you admit it.

patonthebach posted:

Toby Basner and Matt Bush. Also Toby Basner's wife, I guess.

I had Josh Donaldson as #3 on my Most Loved list, personally.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

patonthebach posted:

Rangers fans. Yankees fans. Oakland fans, possibly.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
Poque and I ran into Munenori Kawasaki in the parking lot of Sloan Field at Spring Training this year. We were spraying ourselves down with sunscreen and he walked up to us and asked if he could borrow some. Poque asked if he was Kawasaki, and he responded with "most people say I look like Kawasaki, and that is because I am in fact Munenori Kawasaki". He applied the sunscreen, thanked us, shook our hands, and wandered off.

And I totally forgot to put him on my favorites list. :negative:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
That is loving amazing. Munenori Kawasaki is an absolute gem of a human being. :allears:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pancakes posted:

What teams have really been personally victimized by EYB and have a legitimate basis to complain though?
Its Dodgers fans who have to listen to throngs of new Giants fans talk about RINGZ.

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect
I had Gary Sanchez at #4 on my list, I'm glad to see that there's another Yankees fan out there who voted him even higher than I did.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

YeahTubaMike posted:

I want to post my ballots but I want other people to post theirs first. :ohdear:

No shame here from a massive Cardinals homer.

Favorite:
1. Carlos Martinez
2. Adam Wainwright
3. Yadier Molina
4. Matt Carpenter
5. Hunter Pence
6. Jon Jay
7. Albert Pujols
8. Bartolo Colon
9. Adrian Beltre
10. Stephen Piscotty

Least Favorite:
1. Ryan Braun
2. Johnny Cueto
3. Aroldis Chapman
4. Alex Rodriguez
5. Brandon Phillips
6. Jonathan Papelbon
7. Daniel Murphy
8. Chris Coghlan
9. Chase Utley
10. Yordano Ventura

I assume I'll catch poo poo for hating Cueto as much as I do for something at happened more than six years ago but gently caress it, don't kick people in the head with your spikes on. :colbert:

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
If I voted today I bet Brian Dozier would have made my hated list.

Edit: that is not actually true. I almost put him in my favorite list.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

patonthebach posted:

The Angels.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Pancakes posted:

I assume I'll catch poo poo for hating Cueto as much as I do for something at happened more than six years ago but gently caress it, don't kick people in the head with your spikes on. :colbert:

I have no qualms whatsoever about your list, although it is weird to me that so many people had Aroldis Chapman lower than #1 because I used the involvement of a gun in his domestic violence incident to nudge him above Jose Reyes on my own list.

YTM's Most Loved

1. Hunter Pence
2. Wilmer Flores
3. Josh Donaldson
4. Salvador Pérez
5. José Fernández :swoon:
6. Joey Votto
7. Giancarlo Stanton
8. Bartolo Colón
9. Andrew Miller :allears:
10. Tim Lincecum :rip:

YTM's Most Hated

1. Aroldis Chapman
2. José Reyes
3. Jonathan Papelbon
4. Daniel Murphy
5. Chase Utley
6. Ryan Braun
7. Chris Coghlan
8. John Jaso
9. Fernando Rodney
10. Kevin Plawecki

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I can't believe I forgot about Jose Reyes, ugh. I'll post mine after the results are all through.

Why do you hate Kevin Plawecki?

and does that mean that other people also voted for Plawecki? :psyduck:

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I forgot about both Reyes and Chapman, which I suppose is what happens when you try and put a list together in 5 minutes

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
I love them all equally.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Poque posted:

Why do you hate Kevin Plawecki?

Because I really hate his walkup music and I couldn't think of any more bad human beings to put on the list. John Jaso only made the cut because he has ugly hair.

quote:

and does that mean that other people also voted for Plawecki? :psyduck:

What? No. Kevin Plawecki received exactly one #10 vote, and it was from me, so he got only 1 point and therefore did not make the top 25.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

YeahTubaMike posted:

What? No. Kevin Plawecki received exactly one #10 vote, and it was from me, so he got only 1 point and therefore did not make the top 25.

Oh, I totally misread the #25 post and thought everybody had one #10 vote, not one #1 vote.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Kyle Schwarber

What's to love?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUp1dvZHFJU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

Corey Seager
Team: Los Angeles Dodgers

What's to love? A down-to-earth, normal, kind of adorable 22-year old who happens to be very good at mashing dingers. He even made it to the HR Derby this year (where he and every other non-Stanton person were summarily annihilated, but still), and was selected for the 2016 All Star Game.
He hits even more doubles, tied again for the NL lead. He's also the best shortstop in baseball now. Corey and his dimples are going to anchor the Dodgers infield and lineup for years to come.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Thanks for reminding me this exists. :allears:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Most Hated #23 (3-way tie), 12 pts: Jung-ho Kang, Eric Hosmer, Jeff Francoeur

Jung-ho Kang
Team: Pittsburgh Pirates
Debut: April 8, 2015 (KBO debut: April 8, 2006)

botching a fist-bump -- unforgivable

What's to hate? As ALFbrot described it, "Schrödinger's Rape".

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette posted:

Police have said that the woman told them that she remembered drifting in and out of consciousness. She claimed that she remembered Mr. Kang sexually assaulting her, and that she regained full consciousness while in a taxi cab, police said.

Not likely that he made this list for his (perfectly adequate) playing ability.

Eric Hosmer
Team: Kansas City Royals
Debut: May 6, 2011

What's to hate? It is unclear at this time. My theory is that Mets fans are still salty. He does have kind of a hateable face, I guess.

Jeff Francoeur
Team: Miami Marlins
Debut: July 7, 2005

What's to hate? He's not very good, he doesn't seem to have a personality that makes up for it, and he won't go away.

Current Rankings

Most Hated posted:

25. Joe Panik, Jered Weaver, Alejandro De Aza, Dansby Swanson, Matt Harvey
24. Josh Donaldson, Clay Buchholz
23. Jung-ho Kang, Eric Hosmer, Jeff Francoeur

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Who the hell hates Jeff Francoeur? Even other teams' fans enjoy him.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Most Loved #23 (2-way tie), 16 pts: Troy Tulowitzki, David Ross

Troy Tulowitzki
Team: Toronto Blue Jays
Debut: August 30, 2006

What's to love? Tulo was born with glass bones and paper skin, but when he's NOT on the DL (which is never), he's really good. He is one of 15 Major Leaguers ever to turn an unassisted triple play, and he is also half-responsible for one of my favorite baseball-related GIFs.

couldn't find one without the (incorrect) caption, sorry

David Ross
Debut: June 28, 2002

What's to love?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jOcdSylvEM

https://twitter.com/D_Ross3/status/744393055160107008

Joe Maddon posted:

Too many times you portray players as clubhouse leaders and that’s done way too loosely for me. With him, it’s legitimate. He is a clubhouse leader. Despite not hitting .275 or better, he still maintains his stature in the clubhouse because of the respect people have for him for how he goes about his business. When he says something, it’s pertinent and right on.

I really don’t care what he hits batting average-wise — it makes no difference to me. Whatever he hits is gravy for me, for us.

Also, the relationship between Grandpa Rossy and Anthony Rizzo is even cuter than the Bryzzo bromance. There, I said it.

Current Rankings

Most Loved posted:

25. Darwin Barney
24. Miguel Cabrera, Munenori Kawasaki, Corey Seager, Kyle Schwarber, Gary Sanchez
23. Troy Tulowitzki, David Ross

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

tadashi posted:

I personally have zero problems with Jeff Francoeur. He seems to be thriving (or at least not sucking) as a Marlin.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

YeahTubaMike posted:

David Ross
Debut: June 28, 2002

It was me. I was the #2 David Ross fan :wave:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

YeahTubaMike posted:

Eric Hosmer
Team: Kansas City Royals
Debut: May 6, 2011

What's to hate? It is unclear at this time. My theory is that Mets fans are still salty. He does have kind of a hateable face, I guess.

I completely understand the Hosmer hate. He seems like a dim fratboy with a stupid haircut. I wouldn't put him in my top 10 or even top 25 but I totally relate to disliking him.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It was me. I was the #2 David Ross fan :wave:

If I were more of a Cubs fan, I might have voted for him. He's great.

Pancakes posted:

I completely understand the Hosmer hate. He seems like a dim fratboy with a stupid haircut. I wouldn't put him in my top 10 or even top 25 but I totally relate to disliking him.

See, I get the stupid haircut, but I don't get the dim fratboy vibe. I've only seen one interview with him and he came across as a normal, nice dude.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I always call Hosmer "the most evil looking man" because look at him. He looks like he should be tying women to train tracks or something. I'm sure he's actually a pretty okay dude, he just doesn't look it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Noted dim fratboy Eric Hosmer offers his thoughts on some stupid kid who had cancer or some poo poo, where are the bitches at bro send a brew this way

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Explosionface posted:

I always call Hosmer "the most evil looking man" because look at him. He looks like he should be tying women to train tracks or something. I'm sure he's actually a pretty okay dude, he just doesn't look it.

My wife and I call him angry eyebrows so I get that. He legitimately does look like genetics tried to draw a cartoon villian's face on his face.

I also don't get the dim frat boy vibe though. I've known a lot of dim frat boys and Hoz doesn't seem like one to me but maybe that's my homerism.

Edit:
And Hosmer could use social media to urge fans to join players at McFadden’s to celebrate the American League Division Series sweep of the Angels — and then plunk down a credit card to pay the $15,000 bill for all.

:crossarms: I don't know Bewbies... that seems pretty fratty.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 6, 2016

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Explosionface posted:

YeahTubaMike posted:

He does have kind of a hateable face, I guess.

Right there with you. I always thought he looked more like the rear end in a top hat leader of a rival summer camp in a kid/teen movie myself.

I voted for John Jaso based entirely on his physical appearance too, so I don't begrudge you (in general, not sure if you voted for him at all) your choices, though #3 definitely seems a bit high.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hosmer haters are probably just jaded fantasy failures. Feels like Hosmer is always a last-ditch option for first basemen and he doesn't deliver like the top players at the position so people get mad at him

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

tadashi posted:

I voted him #4. Like YeahTubaMike said, he just won't go away! He also likes to get the big hits against the Mets which doesn't help.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I forgot to add John Jaso to my favourites list. I'm all for grimy hair in baseball.

Give me your rat tails, your mullets, your dreads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

I forgot to add John Jaso to my favourites list. I'm all for grimy hair in baseball.

Give me your rat tails, your mullets, your dreads.

agreed, I unironically love John Jaso and his monster hair

• Locked thread