Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hey that guy is just postin' dicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?
That was unexpected

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

In this thread really should have posted Uranus though

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

InterFaced posted:

MIND WORMS!

Indigenous Lifeforms

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
13 minutes and counting

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

Hey that guy is just postin' dicks

Indigenous Lifeforms

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sadly an early pioneer explorer group found the planets atmosphere was comprised mainly of methane. Traces of an ancient civilization were found along with hyroglyphs. From what we can tell they farted themselves to death, enveloping the planet in a fart cloud. Sadly we will never know their diet or if they had giant reddish baboon asses or not. :smith:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

mods knew

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
What is the name of the planet, OP?

Ibogaine
Aug 11, 2015

Decebal posted:

Like...space weed ? Just think what Proxima's weird luminosity and energy patterns will do to the grass bro !

I think it's called astro turf.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Ork of Fiction posted:

What is the name of the planet, OP?

proxima b

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Is this what NASA revealed at their press conference?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

loquacius posted:

Gaians/Planet Cult were great because you didn't even have to bother building yourself a big expensive endgame army, you could just flood the earth with a literal plague of locusts

subjecting your enemies to brain-death by psychic torture at the hands of a swarm of weaponized insects in the name of harmony with Planet

that horseshit is why you play with the expansion but lock it to SMAC factions only.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

I hereby declare myself ruler of proxima b! SUCKERRRRRS!!

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Let's go there, let's go there right now, I'm packing my bags as we speak.

I will be on the roof trying to jump to it for the next three hours if anyone needs me.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Last time I checked red dwarf stars weren't thought to have habitable zones. I'll have to read the whole article but the title seems exaggerated.

I mean I guess you could just terraform.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm serving in a regiment under Colonel Corazon Santiago on the trip to Proxima B. Wish me luck, guys.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Proxima B welcomes you! Upon arrival you will receive complementary methane and insane amounts of radiation.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
IM FROM BUENOS AIRES AND I SAY KILL 'EM ALL

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder how long ago they discovered us

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
we should nuke that planet ASAP imho

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

RobattoJesus posted:

I think we should call new earth farth, and then if we find another one call it garth and so on.

Unfortunately we missed out of barth and darth which were both good names, but yeah

But we also skipped over aarth, which could've caused some confusion.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Sid Vicious posted:

i bet that the planet is gay

I dunno, gently caress This Gay Proxima b doesn't really have the same ring to it

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Donkwich posted:

Last time I checked red dwarf stars weren't thought to have habitable zones. I'll have to read the whole article but the title seems exaggerated.

I mean I guess you could just terraform.

Why not ? They output energy don't they ? They also live longer than than the whole Universe and 100's of times longer than our Sun. So life has a lot of chances to get interesting.

Tidal lock might be an issue but whatever. Heat moves around and think how interesting life on a planet like this would look ! Also we could have solar farms on the always sunny side for virtually unlimited energy and thus solve a big ecology problem and move towards ascension !

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Why do we want to go to the upside down?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lets send a radio signal and call them faggots

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
its proxima centauri not alpha centauri you uncultured terran gently caress

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Whoa, I just watched some show on Netflix about a tidally locked planet orbiting a red dwarf.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Whoa, I just watched some show on Netflix about a tidally locked planet orbiting a red dwarf.

what show

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

Can you please give us a synopsis and the methodologies used by the scientists to reach their conclusions ? I think this will be really relevant to the discussion at hand.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

It's a 2 episode British thing called "Extraterrestrial," the second episode was about a moon orbiting a gas giant.

Decebal posted:

Can you please give us a synopsis and the methodologies used by the scientists to reach their conclusions ? I think this will be really relevant to the discussion at hand.

It's from 2005, but they had a bunch of science dudes that modeled it, and theorized what kinds of life could develop on the planet

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Decebal posted:

Why not ? They output energy don't they ? They also live longer than than the whole Universe and 100's of times longer than our Sun. So life has a lot of chances to get interesting.

Tidal lock might be an issue but whatever. Heat moves around and think how interesting life on a planet like this would look ! Also we could have solar farms on the always sunny side for virtually unlimited energy and thus solve a big ecology problem and move towards ascension !

"orbiting something that outputs energy" is a pretty low bar to set for habitability.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

you need a biosphere that won't shred amino acids and shred simple lifeforms with horrible radiation, cook them with heat, or destroy them with weird chemical reactions, and I dunno tidally locked planets don't seem to fit that bill.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Germstore posted:

"orbiting something that outputs energy" is a pretty low bar to set for habitability.

Proxima's planet is in it's habitable zone though.

They found planets around pulsars too (like PSR 1257+12) and that's pretty amazing when you think about how a star becomes a neutron star. A bit of X-ray only makes organism heartier so pulsar planets must have some interesting life on them.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

hemophilia posted:

you need a biosphere that won't shred amino acids and shred simple lifeforms with horrible radiation, cook them with heat, or destroy them with weird chemical reactions, and I dunno tidally locked planets don't seem to fit that bill.

You think Europa has small chances then, considering Jupiter's tremendous radiation belt ?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i think if we found a mirror planet in the solar system habitable zone it would be a small chance, i think finding it at all in our system is unlikely as hell. i put no stock in anyone who has hope for life under europa or anywhere else.

but i don't know and i won't be upset or anything at being proven wrong it would be cool.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Sid Vicious posted:

i bet that the planet is gay

A planet for robocops.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Germstore posted:

Yeah but the more we learn about life the lower the bar gets. Look at water bears and tube worms and stuff. There's probably some extremophile bacteria or something that would do just fine there

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

hemophilia posted:

i think if we found a mirror planet in the solar system habitable zone it would be a small chance, i think finding it at all in our system is unlikely as hell. i put no stock in anyone who has hope for life under europa or anywhere else.

but i don't know and i won't be upset or anything at being proven wrong it would be cool.

i agree that it's unlikely, but europa's nearby enough that we may as well look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Skeleton Ape posted:

Yeah but the more we learn about life the lower the bar gets. Look at water bears and tube worms and stuff. There's probably some extremophile bacteria or something that would do just fine there

Yeah but what if life needed a milder environment to start and only then it can evolve into extromophiles and conquer inhospitable places ?

• Locked thread