Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

it means math stops working like we think it does

like this is super simplified but imagine that at light speed suddenly 2 + 2 does not equal 4

What needs to be discovered so that we understand what actually happens then ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I wonder what alien anime is like...

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
when we first discover or are discovered by aliens, the first time they see the anime, they will be putty in our hands

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Ork of Fiction posted:

I wonder what alien anime is like...

Alien anime is a mistake.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
In alien anime Lum is a human.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

sincx posted:

anime is a mistake.

fxt

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Toadvine posted:

Every naysayer about extra terrestrial life is basing their pessimism on the very narrow span of human understanding and it's freaking pissing me off
the chemicals that make up life have a very particular range where they will survive and alternatives serving the same function are much less stable. other solvents besides water are possible but have some odd requirements

i mean sure there might be molten silicon/oxygen based life using metals or some insane alternative biochemistry somewhere but we probably wouldn't recognize it as alive even if we did find it.

we're looking for what we know works rather than what could work

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

nigga crab pollock posted:

i mean sure there might be molten silicon/oxygen based life using metals or some insane alternative biochemistry somewhere but we probably wouldn't recognize it as alive even if we did find it.

And it would be tiny like the tardigrade :3:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
When can I move there

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the chemicals that make up life have a very particular range where they will survive and alternatives serving the same function are much less stable. other solvents besides water are possible but have some odd requirements

we're looking for what we know works rather than what could work

its only "alternative biochemistry" from the perspective of a study with the tremendously scientific sample size of 1

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
thats like saying that its dumb to assume cars have four wheels because cars dont NEED four wheels, and that im a moron for insinuating that there is a reason that cars have four wheels

how is silicon based life supposed to work when silicon dioxide is a solid? the complex molecules that sustain life as we know it are only possible with carbon based biochemistry you cant just transition to a new chemical base and have everything work out

i mean yeah its technically possible, just like its possible for there to be three wheeled cars

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

how do we even know if it identifies as a planet

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

thats like saying that its dumb to assume cars have four wheels because cars dont NEED four wheels, and that im a moron for insinuating that there is a reason that cars have four wheels

how is silicon based life supposed to work when silicon dioxide is a solid? the complex molecules that sustain life as we know it are only possible with carbon based biochemistry you cant just transition to a new chemical base and have everything work out

i mean yeah its technically possible, just like its possible for there to be three wheeled cars

using your analogy, you're assuming that transportation has to be cars, or that transportation is needed at all

epileptic_ev
Aug 25, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
i threw a firework @ caroline once

she was wearing a white skinny dress

it landed right between her legs

a cherry bomb i threw from a moving car as she was waiting in line @ da club

:D

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Woden posted:

Doubt it's tidally locked, idiots scientists thought that about Mercury too but it has 1.5 days in a year.

Read more Wikipedia you fuckman

quote:

Mercury is tidally or gravitationally locked with the Sun in a 3:2 resonance

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Decebal posted:

There's literally no way we would ever run out of planets. The Universe is infinite after all.

Watch less science fiction you fuckman. There are a ton of planets up there but 100% of them are useless lumps of freezing or boiling rock.

[e] They're also too loving far away and we will never break the speed of light.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

its only "alternative biochemistry" from the perspective of a study with the tremendously scientific sample size of 1

Smoke less drugs, his argument is a little more complicated than "we haven't seen it so it can't exist man"

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

OMGVBFLOL posted:

using your analogy, you're assuming that transportation has to be cars, or that transportation is needed at all

just like how a three wheeled car can work if its in a situation with a whole bunch of caveats, silicon based life or boron based life or life that uses ammonia as a base all do not have the same complexity but can totally work if you put a bunch of arbitrary limitations in place. it was a bad analogy

yeah we could be looking for anaerobic ammonia bacteria somewhere but at that point we don't even know what we're looking for. it's pure conjecture that its even possible. what we do know is life is carbon based and requires liquid water so thats what were lookin for

its not like anyone is discounting the possibility but the feasability of searching for it

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

When can I move there

All are welcome on Proxima B! However the trip takes about 78,000 years to complete.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Germstore posted:

It's possible that the first species are only now beginning to take to the stars. Spreading across the galaxy takes a long long time assuming no amount of technological advancement can make FTL travel happen.

Evolvng from dirt to a human takes over 4 billion years, the galaxy is only 100,000 light years across. Even limited to c, and generously assuming that we can accelerate up to 20% of c we still arrive at a figure of 500,000 years to travel from one point on the circumference completely across to the other. So 0.0125% (1/8000th) of the time taken to evolve Donald Trump. Given that development of another species could easily have started a few million years before it did on our planet we are forced to ask, if alien life exists in our galaxy, why are they not here yet?

Fermi paradox motherbitches.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Decebal posted:

Let's focus on more real & feasible projects, like fusion (which, by the way, is only a decade away)

Fusion has been a decade away for quite a while now, 1920 if this is to be believed. Long loving decade.

http://sciblogs.co.nz/guestwork/2015/03/11/the-longest-decade-the-quest-for-fusion/

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Because sub FTL travel isn't exploration as we know it because it takes generations. You don't leave a star system to satisfy wanderlust, you will never ever see anything that isn't the massive void between stars. You move because you have run out of resources and if you can convert matter to energy on command the resources of a single star system would last longer than the host star.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Ivor Biggun posted:

, why are they not here yet?

Because we're loco ese

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

the aliens don't give a gently caress

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

we should convince world leaders that there are aliens on that planet and they are coming for us so we should make more space ships to fight them

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
very interesting science, but why dont you go investigate uranus first

i hear it is the source of some noxious gases

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Toadvine posted:

Because we're loco ese

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVRd7XEHo5c

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if we were the first ones to get to spreading around the galaxy or whatever it'd be cool for us but you know we'd enslave and exploit the poo poo out of some literal 3rd worlds

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Ivor Biggun posted:

"we haven't seen it so it can't exist man"

i never said any variation of this

here's a quote: the probe is on a collision course with uranus

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
I wish I lived a earth-like planet :smith:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Ivor Biggun posted:

Evolvng from dirt to a human takes over 4 billion years

that one time, on that one planet, relying entirely on random events

you a fuckboi

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

hemophilia posted:

Declare your ideological affiliations here. Base game factions only. Expansion factions will be ignored.

+1 Human Hive.

Expansion factions were the best, sorry you can't leave the coast line because you're getting wrecked by sea pirates.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

*sees a new, habitable, planet around a neighboring star that could be home to vastly more intelligent beings* Ddo you guys think they have forums there too?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
It's depressing to think how vast space is. It'd take 137,000 years to get to Alpha Centauri with tech we have now. If that Tabby's Star was legitimately a Dyson Sphere that's 1,480 light years away, so it wouldn't make much of an impact on us if it was or wasn't aliens since with present tech it'd take millions of years to get there anyway.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
either we somehow get FTL/bendy time/alcubierre drives/whatever or we don't

if the former then it really doesn't matter and if the latter well again doesn't really matter as we won't get anywhere whether it is 1000 light years or a billion light years away anyway

naem
May 29, 2011

We may need to drop a couple ice comets on it if there not enough water already

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
What about an antimatter engine like in that James Cameron documentary? Sure, antimatter is expensive to produce and store, but once those 2 small issues are conquered we could be on our way!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
that doesn't get us FTL though

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
It's indicative of depression that people assume we'll never find intelligent life/intelligent life doesn't exist elsewhere/we'll never leave our solar system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

watch us find a bunch of wormholes just around the corner

• Locked thread